• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AIAS am biased: Gears of War dominates

JoJo13

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Well, Gears did something no other game I ever remember doing. Full drop in, drop out coop. That alone puts it ahead of all the competition for me.
What, Co-op mode? SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Combined Assault on PS2 had a 4 player Co-op online mode to go along with 32 player online mode.

Tieno

Gears online game play is fantastic so it really deserved that award. Never had so much fun with multiplayer and with the online co-op as with Gears of War.

JB1981

Dr_Cogent said:
Uh, I have no idea what you would qualify as enough time.

What does Resistance do that hasn't been done before in an FPS? I couldn't see anything that really stood out and made it unique or new in any way.

Eh, let's just forget about it. Don't really feel like getting into it anymore. Anyway, Resistance should've gotten a nom. Kudos to Cliffy B for creating a great game. Hopefully you'll put up a server for your 3 million fans next time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dr_Cogent said:
Well, Gears did something no other game I ever remember doing. Full drop in, drop out coop. That alone puts it ahead of all the competition for me.

:lol

Would you people PLEASE get gaming capable PC's. Holy hanah.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Schafer said:
:lol

Would you people PLEASE get gaming capable PC's. Holy hanah.

Please, don't get me started. I've been done with PC gaming over a year now.

And what PC games allowed someone to drop in "coop" and play and then leave seamlessly?

Dr_Cogent said:

Er, then were have you played 40+ player games on consoles? Honest question, I'm not aware of any such games, or at least any games that do it as smoothly as Resistance does.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Dr_Cogent said:
40 players at once has been done, and then some.
In what console game? I think resistance easily has the best online features/bulletpoints. (see denogg's thread). But I agree with every other award in the OP.

Dr_Cogent said:
And what PC games allowed someone to drop in "coop" and play and then leave seamlessly?
swat 4? (which is one of my favorite PC games btw, truly underrated)

GhaleonEB

LJ11 said:
Nah, I played co-op with GhaleonEB one time (doubt he remembers) but he was hosting. He lives in Washington, I'm in NYC. I couldn't kill a wretch if my life depended on it. I kept dieing over and over, because the bullets seemed to be lagging. Maybe it was the distance, but the lag was bad on my end. Everyone else I've played co-op with has been in the tri-state area and the game has run flawlessly. You can't say the game is lag-free, it's not. All P2P games will introduce some sort of lag depending on the circumstances. The only way I'm playing co-op is if I'm hosting or the person lives nearby.
I do remember, though I died just as often as you. But that's because I suck - you had a better excuse. :lol

I've had a number of very good co-op sessions, but a few when I joined another person's game were very, very laggy. And we both had good connections. It was still fun, partly because the slower nature of the gameplay helps compensate for lag in campaign (a good chunk of the time you are shooting at stationary or slow targets). But that was frustrating at times, like when the wretches came out.

Anyhoo - Gears is an amazing game overall. The online co-op drop-in should be a standard going forward (such as what Crackdown is doing). Still, I'd pick Oblivion as my GotY. Glad it got recognized with the PC award.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Drop-in, Drop-Out Co-Op mode is wonderful. But server advantage, lack of ranked team play (due to co-op mode being favored), 4 on 4, and no difference between playing as the Locusts or Humans makes Gears have a lot of shortcomings compared to Resistance.

Resistance is the first console first person shooter that FLAWLESSLY executes 20 versus 20, ranked team play with squads and parties, differing races to play with, a full selection of game modes, voice chat, and a very addicting ranking system that is far deeper than any achievement list I have seen on XBL (maybe Battlefield 2: MC). That is what makes it special.

Bad_Boy said:
In what console game? I think resistance easily has the best online features/bulletpoints. (see denogg's thread). But I agree with every other award in the OP.

Even the animation award for Gears? I wouldn't even have a problem with the online awards had Resistance at least been nominated as I don't have enough experience with Gears to disagree (or agree) with the win there, but animation?

Tieno

Bad_Boy said:

swat 4?
I don't think this award is about 'online features', but online gameplay.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Er, then were have you played 40+ player games on consoles? Honest question, I'm not aware of any such games, or at least any games that do it as smoothly as Resistance does.

Not sure about consoles, but I know it's been done on the PC.

Tieno said:

Ok, and then what do games like Battlefield 2142 and Call of Duty 3 do in terms of online gameplay that would give them nominations over Resistance?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Tieno said:
It goes with it. Again, see Denogg's thread. ;)

Dr_Cogent said:
so has drop-in/drop-out online co-op.

White Man

You fooz are kidding yourselves if you think either Gears or Resistance were the online kings of last year. R6V all the way, with CoD3 in second.

JoJo13

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Even the animation award for Gears? I wouldn't even have a problem with the online awards had Resistance at least been nominated as I don't have enough experience with Gears to disagree (or agree) with the win there, but animation?
Probably won for its pre-baked gore death animation. ;)

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:
Eh, let's just forget about it. Don't really feel like getting into it anymore. Anyway, Resistance should've gotten a nom. Kudos to Cliffy B for creating a great game. Hopefully you'll put up a server for your 3 million fans next time.

Agreed. Same goes for Ubisoft and the team behind Vegas. And Activision.

Dr_Cogent said:

Of course. But then we're back to the rub of your argument. You hail Gears co-op as something new simply because you haven't seen it in a console, while dismissing Resistance's lag free 40 player matches as been there done that... despite not having seen that in a console game either.

chriskzoo

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

Is SCEA a member of the AIAS? After listening to the latest Next-Gen podcast (they talked to one of the AIAS board members), I thought that he said that besides Capcom and Majesco, SCEI was not a member, but maybe he said SCEA.

Basically, publishers that were nominated were told "You can join for $XXXX, or just have your nomination thrown out" - which is what Capcom made a stink over.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see Ted PRice is on the board.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
White Man said:
You fooz are kidding yourselves if you think either Gears or Resistance were the online kings of last year. R6V all the way, with CoD3 in second.
Not saying its a bad thing, but wasnt COD3 online just a carbon copy of W:ET? Again not saying thats a bad thing as W:ET is also one of my favorite PC games, but I didnt think it was hardly anything new. Plus, W:ET is free. :p

Dr_Cogent said:
Which PC games did that?
read my post above. (#58)

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
Resistance is the first console first person shooter that FLAWLESSLY executes 20 versus 20, ranked team play with squads and parties, differing races to play with, a full selection of game modes, voice chat, and a very addicting ranking system that is far deeper than any achievement list I have seen on XBL (maybe Battlefield 2: MC). That is what makes it special.

Perfectly stated. Hopefully the forthcoming DLC content gives us some new game modes and some kind of ranked matchmaking system. If not, I guess there's always Gears 2.

DenogginizerOS

White Man said:

Maybe if Vegas had clan support like their last-gen games had I'd agree with you to some degree.

chriskzoo said:
Is SCEA a member of the AIAS? After listening to the latest Next-Gen podcast (they talked to one of the AIAS board members), I thought that he said that besides Capcom and Majesco, SCEI was not a member, but maybe he said SCEA.

Basically, publishers that were nominated were told "You can join for $XXXX, or just have your nomination thrown out" - which is what Capcom made a stink over.

Well, Resistance was nominated in other categories, so I don't think that's the issue.

Sinatar

Dr_Cogent said:
Which PC games did that?

Try Doom if you want to go way back, but just about every PC game with coop lets people drop in and out. Quake 2, Serious Sam, etc...

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:
Perfectly stated. Hopefully the forthcoming DLC content gives us some new game modes and some kind of ranked matchmaking system. If not, I guess there's always Gears 2.

I would not hold your breath. :'(

To be fair to Gears, it definitely deserves awards. Curb stomping and watermelon popping headshots never get old and chainsaw fileting your buddies online still feels like visceral candy. It deserved some of the awards it received without question.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Schafer said:
Try Doom if you want to go way back, but just about every PC game with coop lets people drop in and out. Quake 2, Serious Sam, etc...

I honestly don't remember Doom letting people join midstream in coop, but that was a very long time ago.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Schafer said:
but just about every PC game with coop lets people drop in and out.
Pretty much, SWAT 4 was the only thing I could think of for some reason. Damn I havent played that game in a while. Love it. Simply love it. :D

JB1981

Tieno said:
The Resistance Crying Squad has taken over the thread.

No offence

Actually, no. We've been civil and have patiently explained why we feel the way we do. No need to bring the discussion down to your level.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
JB1981 said:
Actually, no. We've been civil and have patiently explained why we feel the way we do. No need to bring the discussion down to your level.
VJTonyavy.jpg

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
I would not hold your breath. :'(

To be fair to Gears, it definitely deserves awards. Curb stomping and watermelon popping headshots never get old and chainsaw fileting your buddies online still feels like visceral candy. It deserved some of the awards it received without question.

Agreed.

Mashing

Dr_Cogent said:

I dunno... DOOM maybe. You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Edit: Hmmm, my memory is fuzzy. Maybe DOOm didn't allow that.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Of course. But then we're back to the rub of your argument. You hail Gears co-op as something new simply because you haven't seen it in a console, while dismissing Resistance's lag free 40 player matches as been there done that... despite not having seen that in a console game either.

*shrug*

Perhaps it's because I just wasn't as impressed with the game as I was with Gears.

Mashing said:
I dunno... DOOM maybe. You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Doom was a very long time ago. I honestly don't remember being able to do that. I remember dropping in and playing deathmatch.

Wollan

Nerevar said:
Aren't you in Europe? Have you even PLAYED Resistance? Seriously, could you be any less of a Sony shill?

I played it at TGS a few times (online/offline) and I would say I know as much as most other Resistance players regarding it's features with maybe a bit more insight than the norm about it's history pre-release. I help out with the clan and scheduled matches as well.

REV 09

Tieno said:
Gears online game play is fantastic so it really deserved that award. Never had so much fun with multiplayer and with the online co-op as with Gears of War.
i have played significant amounts of both Gears and Resistance online, and Gameplay is the reason that Gears wins the category for me. I do have a lot of good things to say about both titles online, but Gears is simply a more cohesive, intimate experience. Gears also lends itself to teamwork better than Resistance. Gears does have problems online though...the game modes and online infrastrucure simply suck compared to Resistance which truly excels here. Resistance's dedicated servers also are a standout achievement, but Gears p2p is still some of the best netcode around, but it certainly isn't dedicated. But overall, the top of the line co-op and flat out better gameplay in Gears puts it on top for me. However, for Resistance to not even receive a nomination is simply retarded. Resistance is one the best online experiences on a console and deserves a nomination.

White Man

DenogginizerOS said:
Maybe if Vegas had clan support like their last-gen games had I'd agree with you to some degree.

I didn't play the last gen versions so I didn't know what I was missing. Does it really add that much? How was it implemented?

DenogginizerOS

Wollan said:
I played it at TGS a few times (online/offline) and I would say I know as much as most other Resistance players regarding it's features with maybe a bit more insight than the norm about it's history pre-release. I help out with the clan and scheduled matches as well.

Wollan's new tag: NeoGAF Resistance Clan Secretary :lol

Tieno

REV 09 said:
i have played significant amounts of both Gears and Resistance online, and Gameplay is the reason that Gears wins the category for me. I do have a lot of good things to say about both titles online, but Gears is simply a more cohesive, intimate experience. Gears also lends itself to teamwork better than Resistance. Gears does have problems online though...the game modes and online infrastrucure simply suck compared to Resistance which truly excels here. Resistance's dedicated servers also are a standout achievement, but Gears p2p is still some of the best netcode around, but it certainly isn't dedicated. But overall, the top of the line co-op and flat out better gameplay in Gears puts it on top for me. However, for Resistance to not even receive a nomination is simply retarded. Resistance is one the best online experiences on a console and deserves a nomination.
Yep, this is a gameplay award which is more about preference than an objective break down of online features...if that would be the case Resistance would clearly win.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I'll say this, regardless if you could do it in Doom or not (which I can't remember for sure) - Doom didn't have AI controlling the character up until someone jumped in and then when they jumped out it was replaced with AI again. I don't remember any game being like that.

Resistance is a substantially better online competitive multiplayer game than Gears.

Gears drop-in, full-storyline co-op is a far more unique experience, though, and it's incredible. Just because it only supports two players doesn't make it any less competitive as an online experience.

Resistance definitely should have at least been nominated for Best online, though Gears drop-in/out co-op is an awesome innovation. Other than that debatable win, Gears definitely got what it deserves, and I think all of you balking at the animation award should go give the game a second look. It's amazingly fluid, the animations have great weight and impact, and there's nothing cooler looking than roadie-slamming into cover, reloading then blind-firing the shotgun over cover, blowing the legs off a charging locust and having his torso sail over you while his remainders flop around. sweet gratuitous goodness.

DenogginizerOS

White Man said:
I didn't play the last gen versions so I didn't know what I was missing. Does it really add that much? How was it implemented?

It makes all the difference. The reason games like Counter Strike flourished on PC is because people bought servers and formed clans and constantly practiced together. It raised the quality of competition to a level never before seen online that even today CS still thrives. With RB6 and Halo 2 on Xbox, the abililty to play as a clan matched the same success of CS and raised it to another level with integrated voice chat, friends lists, etc. all in the comfort of your living room on surround sound and HD. For Vegas to lack the features its previous brethren possessed is both perplexing and disappointing.

White Man

DenogginizerOS said:
It makes all the difference. The reason games like Counter Strike flourished on PC is because people bought servers and formed clans and constantly practiced together. It raised the quality of competition to a level never before seen online that even today CS still thrives. With RB6 and Halo 2 on Xbox, the abililty to play as a clan matched the same success of CS and raised it to another level with integrated voice chat, friends lists, etc. all in the comfort of your living room on surround sound and HD. For Vegas to lack the features its previous brethren possessed is both perplexing and disappointing.

Was there any stated reason for the game lacking clan support? I'm curious now.

Sinatar

Dr_Cogent said:
I'll say this, regardless if you could do it in Doom or not (which I can't remember for sure) - Doom didn't have AI controlling the character up until someone jumped in and then when they jumped out it was replaced with AI again. I don't remember any game being like that.

Brute Force

DenogginizerOS

Wollan said:
You want milk with that? A massage? :p

Nah. Just where that low-cut blouse of yours next week. I have a cup full of pencils I am dying to knock off my desk for you to pick up. :lol

Top Bottom