• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AIAS am biased: Gears of War dominates

DenogginizerOS said:
Can we all agree that Resistance should have been on the list? I mean, if you are going to crown Gears the best online game (which it is one of the best of last year) you should at least nominate the game that many think was as well executed. Include VEGAS in that list as well. I think some have even given Vegas the best online award over Gears on some other lists.

I don't think anyone here is disputing the greatness of Gears. It is a masterpiece in many ways. I just think its winning the award for best online game would be better received if other games that have been mentioned were at least nominated. In many ways, Gears getting this award without Resistance and Vegas on the list somewhat cheapens Gears' victory.

Since I haven't played Resistance online, as I mentioned in my first post, I can't say one way or the other, if it deserves to be on the list for a nomination. But since you and a couple of other people whose opinions I value when it comes to games, have stated that it's an excellent experience, then I'll take your word for it. :D

chriskzoo

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Nope. But this continues to be the biggest arguement I see in it's favor. This thread in particular has listed that as one of the, if no THE, major reason it should have beaten out Gears for Online Game at these awards.

40 players is usually mentioned alongside the other reasons 40 players is so impressive, namely zero lag, and the teamwork required to be successful in Breach games, not to mention the auto scaling environments based on number of players.

DenogginizerOS said:
Can we all agree that Resistance should have been on the list? I mean, if you are going to crown Gears the best online game (which it is one of the best of last year) you should at least nominate the game that many think was as well executed. Include VEGAS in that list as well. I think some have even given Vegas the best online award over Gears on some other lists.

maybe they should've asked your opinion on all the games you wanted nominated

chriskzoo said:
40 players is usually mentioned alongside the other reasons 40 players is so impressive, namely zero lag, and the teamwork required to be successful in Breach games, not to mention the auto scaling environments based on number of players.

Now that is a feature I didn't know about, and think is pretty cool. How well does the system work? Are the levels modular? is it pretty evident where the scaling has occurred?

JB1981

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Nope. But this continues to be the biggest arguement I see in it's favor. This thread in particular has listed that as one of the, if no THE, major reason it should have beaten out Gears for Online Game at these awards.

The only reason why Resistance's 40 players is mentioned vs. Gears' 8 is because the game's netcode handles it flawlessly. But carry on debating a phantom point.

JB1981

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Now that is a feature I didn't know about, and think is pretty cool. How well does the system work? Are the levels modular? is it pretty evident where the scaling has occurred?

Hmm. Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, in one of the other Resistance threads where people, who neither own nor play the game, fancied themselves as an authority on it.

JB1981 said:
The only reason why Resistance's 40 players is mentioned vs. Gears' 8 is because the game's netcode handles it flawlessly. But carry on debating a phantom point.

Hey! We get it! You really like Resistance! What exactly is my "Phantom Debate"? All I said was that 40 players in and of itself is not all that technically impressive. And up until that point, that was the reason being thrown out there for why Resistance should at least have been nominated.

In my oringal post, all I was saying is that that alone, really isn't a reason for it to be a great experience, an that I PESONALLY don't prefer games of that scale over the smaller, more tactical games, such as Gears or even R6.

I didn't even say that Resistance doesn't deserve to be nominated or win. I started my comments by saying I hadn't played it online. All I was saying is that it takes more than 40 players to impress me, which again, was the main argument being thrown out there.

I have since conceded that I didn't know anything about dynamic environments that expand with the size of the teams. That, is more interesting and impressive than "Oh! It can do 40 players! Flawlessly!"

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
ElectricBlue187 said:
maybe they should've asked your opinion on all the games you wanted nominated

Nah. My opinion is shite. I just play the games and enjoy them. That in no way entitles me to form an informed opinion let alone be qualified to speak on this matter.

JB1981

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Hey! We get it! You really like Resistance! What exactly is my "Phantom Debate"? All I said was that 40 players in and of itself is not all that technically impressive. And up until that point, that was the reason being thrown out there for why Resistance should at least have been nominated.

In my oringal post, all I was saying is that that alone, really isn't a reason for it to be a great experience, an that I PESONALLY don't prefer games of that scale over the smaller, more tactical games, such as Gears or even R6.

I didn't even say that Resistance doesn't deserve to be nominated or win. I started my comments by saying I hadn't played it online. All I was saying is that it takes more than 40 players to impress me, which again, was the main argument being thrown out there.

I have since conceded that I didn't know anything about dynamic environments that expand with the size of the teams. That, is more interesting and impressive than "Oh! It can do 40 players! Flawlessly!"

Hey! We get it! Xbots like to talk about a game they've never played and argue its merits against Gears!

JB1981 said:
Hmm. Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, in one of the other Resistance threads where people, who neither own nor play the game, fancied themselves as an authority on it.

Ok! Shut the fvck up!

Point out to me where I said I was an authority on the damn game? Serioulsy! Once again, I stated from the get go that I hadn't played Resistance online. I've played some single player only, and for what I played, I thought it was pretty cool. Excuse me for not reading every damn resistance thread when I don't own the game.

I wasn't even cracking on the game. I simply said that 40 player alone is not that impressive. If orginal argumens in this thread would have encompassed more as to why the online is so impressive, it would have helped from the start.

*bangs head on the wall*

JB1981 said:
Hey! We get it! Xbots like to talk about a game they've never played and argue its merits against Gears!

Alright. So on that comment, I now know that you are a complete dumb ass. I'm far from an Xbox. But if that makes you feel better about yourself, so be it.

And for the last time, I have played single player Resistance. Christ, I'm tired of these arguments.

JB1981

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Ok! Shut the fvck up!

Point out to me where I said I was an authority on the damn game? Serioulsy! Once again, I stated from the get go that I hadn't played Resistance online. I've played some single player only, and for what I played, I thought it was pretty cool. Excuse me for not reading every damn resistance thread when I don't own the game.

I wasn't even cracking on the game. I simply said that 40 player alone is not that impressive. If orginal argumens in this thread would have encompassed more as to why the online is so impressive, it would have helped from the start.

*bangs head on the wall*

How 'bout this. Play the fvcking game. Wanna talk about how a game is online? Play the fvcking thing. End of story.

JB1981 said:

Well, I have played it. And really, it's almost apples and oranges comparing it to Gears. Two-player co-op and large competitive multiplayer are so fundamentally different from each other that it's basically impossible to argue the relative merits of each.

I just find a well-implemented two-player co-op more fun than big competitive games in general (not Resistance in specific), and I could certainly see the judges feeling the same way.

Resistance definitely should have been nominated, though.

JB1981 said:
How 'bout this. Play the fvcking game. Wanna talk about how a game is online? Play the fvcking thing. End of story.

Once again, I didn't say the game wasn't good. I'm not really sure why the hell you are so up in arms. All I said was, once more, THAT 40 PLAYERS IN AND OF ITSELF IS NOT THAT IMPRESSIVE. There may be plenty of other reasons why Resistance online is impressive, but those were not being discussed earlier in this thread.

I'm not really sure why you are having a hard time understand this. Sorry if you feel that I slighted your game by my comments. I think you are taking it a little too personally for a comment that remarked on one aspect of the game that was being propped up as the reason it deserved a nomination or win for Online Game of the Year.

JB1981

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Well, I have played it. And really, it's almost apples and oranges comparing it to Gears. Two-player co-op and large competitive multiplayer are so fundamentally different from each other that it's basically impossible to argue the relative merits of each.

I just find a well-implemented two-player co-op more fun than big competitive games in general (not Resistance in specific), and I could certainly see the judges feeling the same way.

Resistance definitely should have been nominated, though.

Unlike some on GAF, I buy consoles and play the games they have to offer. I don't just talk about them, and I certainly don't talk about the ones I haven't played. For instance, I'm not going to go into the Zelda Wii thread and give my opinion on the quality of the game, as i haven't played. As far as the apples to oranges comparison - that's pretty irrelevant. We're talking about what makes Resistance good but the people who haven't played it keep telling us why it's not.

JB1981 said:
Unlike some on GAF, I buy consoles and play the games they have to offer. I don't just talk about them, and I certainly don't talk about the ones I haven't played. For instance, I'm not going to go into the Zelda Wii thread and give my opinion on the quality of the game, as i haven't played. As far as the apples to oranges comparison - that's pretty irrelevant. We're talking about what makes Resistance good but the people who haven't played it keep telling us why it's not.

I'll ask you to quote me where I said Resistance isn't good? Please include that quote for me on your next post. Thanks!

plagiarize said:
so you think that there's no difference between street fighter 2 and playing someone one on one at resistance over the internet?
Actually I was talking about drop-in/out co-op in 2 player scrolly shooters, and had nothing to say about the co-op in Resistance. Doom did internet co-op before either of them. The big thing that Gears does over both of those examples, is smooth the whole process out.

...but don't mind me, I'm tired, and cranky.

swoon

have we already laughed about gears of war winning best art direction? is it going to win a NAACP image award next?

GhaleonEB

JB1981 said:
DenogginizerOS said:
Hey JB! Have you ever played Gears?? ;)

ahem

I hate to step into the shitstorm, but

1) You are the one tossing names like "Xbots" out there. That doesn't exactly help the conversation.
2) Resistance has dedicated servers. You said it has superior netcode, but I suspect a lot of the reason for the superior performance is that fact. There's an epic debate about that vs. Gear's P2P, but that's another topic. Carry on.

FWIW, I've only played a few games online before, the two big ones being Halo 2 and Gears of War. Needless to say, I'm absolutely underwhelmed with Gear's implementation and that has a lot to do with why I played MP twice, and never since. I still do Halo 2 on occasion because I can hop in and have fun. I didn't play Gear's competition but I just have a hard time thinking that was the pinnacle of online gaming last year.

KAOS

JB1981:
Gears is stop & pop! Resistance is stop & drop! And just to irk you no I've never played resistance... siiike!

swoon said:
have we already laughed about gears of war winning best art direction? is it going to win a NAACP image award next?

Eh, why wouldn't it? I don't particularly like it (or rather, I don't like the lack of variety), but in terms of offering a consistent and well crafted visual style that meshes very well with the gritty mood of the game as a whole, it's pretty much the current high water point.

swoon

AltogetherAndrews said:
Eh, why wouldn't it? I don't particularly like it (or rather, I don't like the lack of variety), but in terms of offering a consistent and well crafted visual style that meshes very well with the gritty mood of the game as a whole, it's pretty much the current high water point.

yea, but i mean that's rewarding consistency not quality. like it's pulled off perfectly, but it's not very good or interesting. like a nickelback album. i mean it beat out Viva Piñata which was consistent, well crafted, but also interesting and new.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
JB1981 said:

Jebus. I swear. SHUT THE **** UP.

Calling someone else a bot should be against the TOS.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Enviormental art = some of the best last year. But the characters buldging steriod loaded muscles look like something an 8 year came up with, when asked to draw a super hero.

With that said the online award should have went to Chromehounds, and Resistance should have atleast been nominated.

Dr_Cogent said:
Jebus. I swear. SHUT THE **** UP.

Calling someone else a bot should be against the TOS.

Thank you for just writing ****. I am so annoyed by all this trying to type around the censors.

UGH.

Anyway. Carry on.

Resistance should win an award for smart programming. I mean they locked the frame rate 30 FPS no matter what's going on the screen. Incredible feet IMO

chriskzoo

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

Yeah, the levels are basically modular, with 4 sizes for 8, 16, 32, or 40 players and they are pretty seamless.

JB1981 said:

1) You always love to claim that anybody who has anything negative to say about a game hasn't really played it. You've done it with me, and it was a false accusation.

2) Some of the people that you like to yell at about stuff like Resistance haven't said that it is not good. Thinking that Gears co-op is equally or more deserving is not the same thing as saying Resistance is not good. Having any criticism or even discounting one of Resistance's many features is not the same thing as saying that it is a bad game.

3) As stated before, you like to throw around all this 'xbot' stuff, which frankly diminishes the strength of all your arguments. Stop trying to make everything so polarized and acting like everybody has an agenda.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The ability to play 40 player online is not, in and of itself, that impressive. It has been done before many times on PC. The fact that it is the first console game to have that number of players is impressive however, and kind of cool no less.

Black Hawk Down had 50 players. Resistance is a better game, but the 40-players-on-dedicated-servers is not a precedent.

Good god, are some people so opposed to Resistance that they can't acknowledge that the lack of a nomination is a shame?

People could be a little more magnanimous. But god no.

And for the RDF, you should be ashamed for give Dr C even a response.. He's consistently underwhelmed by anything Sony-related. It's very predictable.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Good god, are some people so opposed to Resistance that they can't acknowledge that the lack of a nomination is a shame?

And for the RDF, you should be ashamed for give Dr C even a response.. He's consistently underwhelmed by anything Sony-related. It's very predictable.

Hahah, you are so full of shit Ignatz. Go check out the latest God of War II movie thread Wario64 started.

I'm underwhelmed by the underwhelming. I've played plenty of Sony games that rocked. ICO being one of them. Get your ****ing facts straight. Oh wait, damn near no one here at GAF bothers to do that.

Dr_Cogent said:
Hahah, you are so full of shit Ignatz. Go check out the latest God of War II movie thread Wario64 started.

I'm underwhelmed by the underwhelming. I've played plenty of Sony games that rocked. ICO being one of them. Get your ****ing facts straight. Oh wait, damn near no one here at GAF bothers to do that.

I missed that since I have no interest in GoW. But in every single Sony related thread I have read, you've poo-pooed Sony stuff. Good to know you have some token exception.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
I missed that since I have no interest in GoW. But in every single Sony related thread I have read, you've poo-pooed Sony stuff. Good to know you have some token exception.

I'll own a PS3 one day. ICO is just one game from Sony that I enjoyed. I bought a PS2 on launch and played quite a few games on it back in the day. I sold it about 1.5 - 2 years ago.

Sony has just been a train wreck lately and they haven't impressed me much. I call em as I see em.

MS has been on my shit list far longer than that. Basically, since entering the professional computer engineering world (hell even before that) MS has gotten shit tons of disdain from me. It just so happens that I was happy with the Xbox and the 360. Ask Sysgen what I used to say about MS back in the day on Voodoo Extreme (the Billy days, not the IGN ones). I ****ing railed against MS before the Xbox was released simply because of my hatred for MS at the time.

I also never mentioned in this thread that Resistance didn't deserve a nomination. I was just going up against the usual bullshit I get in any thread here.

Ignatz Mouse said:

I didn't say I deserved a nom because, as I've said several times, I haven't played it online. Hard for me to say one way or another. However, I did say that I respect Denog's opinion, and if he thinks it deserves it, than it probably does.

Ignatz Mouse said:

Like many on these boards. You read into peoples posts what you want to read into them. He's not pro anything. I think he actually just praises and rips games and the companies who make them based on his tastes. OMFG. It's crazy I know.

swoon said:
yea, but i mean that's rewarding consistency not quality. like it's pulled off perfectly, but it's not very good or interesting. like a nickelback album. i mean it beat out Viva Piñata which was consistent, well crafted, but also interesting and new.

"New" isn't a requirement to score high in art direction. Artistic integrity and value, perhaps, but not for art direction. Besides, there was certainly nothing wrong about the quality of the design either. Additionally, I'm not sure how unique I think the design and artistry in Viva Pinata is. Seems like pretty typical Rare stuff, only in a pinata style.

Top Bottom