• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AIAS am biased: Gears of War dominates

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
White Man said:
Was there any stated reason for the game lacking clan support? I'm curious now.

Nope. And Luke Smith and the gang at Ziff discussed this right before launch and the explanation was muddy and nonsensical.

JB1981

REV 09 said:
i have played significant amounts of both Gears and Resistance online, and Gameplay is the reason that Gears wins the category for me. I do have a lot of good things to say about both titles online, but Gears is simply a more cohesive, intimate experience. Gears also lends itself to teamwork better than Resistance.

Well, yeah. That's by design. I disagree that Gears lends itself better to teamwork, though. It just depends on who you play with. There's no teamwork in Gears when playing with randoms (especially in ranked where you know NO ONE). And the only game type that anyone plays is Team Deathmatch. Nothing in Gears requires as much teamwork as holding nodes and assaulting reactors like Breach in Resistance. When the GAF clan is in sync (as it has been lately) our Breach/Meltdown matches have tons of teamwork, which is the only way you can win games like that.

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:
Well, yeah. That's by design. I disagree that Gears lends itself better to teamwork, though. It just depends on who you play with. There's no teamwork in Gears when playing with randoms (especially in ranked where you know NO ONE). And the only game type that anyone plays is Team Deathmatch. Nothing in Gears requires as much teamwork as holding nodes and assaulting reactors like Breach in Resistance. When the GAF clan is in sync (as it has been lately) are Breach/Meltdown matches have tons of teamwork, which is the only way you can win games like that.

If the same team of us that played a ton of Gears together could go against other teams that were as equally as seasoned as us, then Gears would definitely be the front-runner. But since you can't, it fails to impress after you spend a night TRYING to find a decent team to play against.

Dr_Cogent said:
*shrug*

Perhaps it's because I just wasn't as impressed with the game as I was with Gears.

Uh, that really doesn't make your argument any less messed up. I haven't argued against Gears winning the award, and the reason for that is because having played very little of it, I'm honestly in no position to talk much about how it measures up to for example Resistance. You on the other hand give credit to Gears for something new to console online gaming, and then went on to dismiss the achievements of Resistance because 40 player online gaming had been done in FPS... on PC. I don't see what you being or not being impressed with either game has anything to do with it.

Dr_Cogent said:
I'll say this, regardless if you could do it in Doom or not (which I can't remember for sure) - Doom didn't have AI controlling the character up until someone jumped in and then when they jumped out it was replaced with AI again. I don't remember any game being like that.

How is that really any different than bot replacement in for example UT?

kiUNiT

Originally Posted by JB1981:
Eh, let's just forget about it. Don't really feel like getting into it anymore. Anyway, Resistance should've gotten a nom. Kudos to Cliffy B for creating a great game. Hopefully you'll put up a server for your 3 million fans next time.

DenogginizerOS said:
Agreed. Same goes for Ubisoft and the team behind Vegas. And Activision.
I think resistance looks great and is one of the only reasons other than BluRay movies that I am purchasing a PS3 for, but lets see how lag free those "free for how long" dedicated servers are if and when there are 3 million copies of resistance sold for a fair comparison. The peer to peer nature of live is for the most part lag free esspecially considering the daunting amount of users and games being played at the same time any given second on live, not to mention the friends lists, messaging and notifications going on for every user.

Schafer said:
How exactly does this differ from say every other medium out there?

Academy Awards: Not a member of the academy, no awards for you.
This is absolutely incorrect. The only major requirement to win a Oscar is that your film play for seven consecutive days in a Los Angeles theater.

Okami should have won 3 or 4 awards. Art Direction at the very least.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Uh, that really doesn't make your argument any less messed up. I haven't argued against Gears winning the award, and the reason for that is because having played very little of it, I'm honestly in no position to talk much about how it measures up to for example Resistance. You on the other hand give credit to Gears for something new to console online gaming, and then went on to dismiss the achievements of Resistance because 40 player online gaming had been done in FPS... on PC. I don't see what you being or not being impressed with either game has anything to do with it.

I ain't impressed with it. Sorry. Do I have to be because you are? It's not that great of a technical achievement in my eyes. They are running dedicated servers in order to get the smooth gameplay. I just ain't that blown away personally. I wasn't wow'ed by it like I was with Gears.

AltogetherAndrews said:
How is that really any different than bot replacement in for example UT?

Because perhaps co-op != deathmatch?

for anyone that is getting confused, by 'drop in drop out co op' i'm talking about the fact that you can be playing single player, send out an invite, and have your buddy playing along side you without breaking step, playing through the entire story line of the game complete with all cutscenes that always allow for both players. i'm not talking about specifically hosting a co op game that anyone can join or leave at any time.

i haven't played swat 3 and i wouldn't be surprised if it had been done before, but quake, doom, serious sam and all those others certainly didn't have it.

resistance has great multiplayer, no questions. if resistance had even rudimentary co-op i'd give it the nod... but gears co-op was hands down the most fun i had playing online last year, and the ease of use was a contributing factor.

i played against people in england without any real difficulty, but i guess people's mileage has varied.

very few games let you play the entire game in co-op without there being some kind of sacrifice somewhere. gears co-op was so well put together that i actually would recommend anyone who picks up the game to play it in co-op over single player every time. it feels like that was the intention to me.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
plagiarize said:
for anyone that is getting confused, by 'drop in drop out co op' i'm talking about the fact that you can be playing single player, send out an invite, and have your buddy playing along side you without breaking step, playing through the entire story line of the game complete with all cutscenes that always allow for both players. i'm not talking about specifically hosting a co op game that anyone can join or leave at any time.

That's exactly what I am talking about too.

Dr_Cogent said:
I ain't impressed with it. Sorry. Do I have to be because you are? It's not that great of a technical achievement in my eyes. They are running dedicated servers in order to get the smooth gameplay. I just ain't that blown away personally. I wasn't wow'ed by it like I was with Gears.

You being impressed or unimpressed with game X isn't relevant for shit. You were talking about the supposedly inventive system of one while dismissing the achievements of the other, and the best you could come up with to substantiate your argument against Resistance was that there were games on PC that did what Resistance does. Let's face it, neither of these two games can make any claims of bringing much of anything new to the table.

Dr_Cogent said:
Because perhaps co-op != deathmatch?

Objective based MP (Assault, Onslaught) against A.I. opponents? No, I don't see how that's critically different from co-op, let alone supposedly revolutionary.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Objective based MP (Assault, Onslaught) against A.I. opponents? No, I don't see how that's critically different from co-op

You've got to be joking.

Do you work for Ubisoft Shanghai?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Guess what Altogether, the majority who voted in the 10th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards had an opinion too. And it wasn't in favor of Resistance. It didn't even get a nomination! ZOMG! Your proverbial sky must be falling since they obviously weren't as impressed by Resistance online as they were with Gears.

Marathon

Sony's DrGAKMAN
Dr_Cogent said:
Guess what Altogether, the majority who voted in the 10th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards had an opinion too. And it wasn't in favor of Resistance. It didn't even get a nomination! ZOMG! Your proverbial sky must be falling since they obviously weren't as impressed by Resistance online as they were with Gears.

Oh god!

The Xbots are taking this seriously...

:lol

Here's a fun read:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142

50 bucks a year for a 4x4 player max, lag, and connection problems plagued game. Bravo on your awards Epic and Microsoft!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dejan said:
Stop arguing about some awards by an academy noone gives a shit about and play some games ... bitches!

Can't play games quite yet. Still at work and waiting on another engineer to get back to me.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Marathon said:
Oh god!

The Xbots are taking this seriously...

:lol

Actually, I was just rubbing it in since Altogether is obviously taking it quite personally it seems. Just look at his first response.

Man this is a real winner of a thread.

From what I've read I really think Resistance should be taking the award for its online components.

But hey water under the bridge right? Besides I can't remember when anyone took the AIAS seriously so why start now?

Not quite Alltogether today eh Andrew?
Yeah that was terrible :/

r.pad

Schafer said:
How exactly does this differ from say every other medium out there?

Academy Awards: Not a member of the academy, no awards for you.
Grammy's: Ditto
Emmy's: Ditto

Yes, it amazes me how ignorant many people are about this issue. Capcom is hardly a victim in this situation, but it played the press and the public into being viewed as one. It also amazes at how many people bash the AIAS without understanding what the organization is and what it does.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I still don't see Dr_Cogent's logic. A console game gets praise for something PC games have done in the past. But another console get gets no praise because PC games have done it in the past. Regardless of the fact both features in both games are unique to the console environment. uhhh ok.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
sure is. :p

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
I still don't see Dr_Cogent's logic. A console game gets praise for something PC games have done in the past. But another console get gets no praise because PC games have done it in the past. Regardless of the fact both features in both games are unique to the console environment. uhhh ok.

Like I said already what seems to be 100 times, I don't remember any PC game working like Gears does. Furthermore, I find it simply more interesting and cool than tons of people playing online on a console game.

What on earth do you guys think that the award winners used to judge things? It was probably how impressive Gears actually came off compared to the rest of the competition.

Opinions on what is "more impressive" doesn't have to be completely logical. It's an opinion. ****ing get over it.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

From what I've read I really think Resistance should be taking the award for its online components.

Lots of us who have both just find Gears co-op ridiculously fun. I'd take it over Halo 2, which has a zillion more online features and sixteen players instead of two.

Maybe the judges played both and felt the same way.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Lots of us who have both just find Gears co-op ridiculously fun. I'd take it over Halo 2, which has a zillion more online features.

And that could be true too. Unfortunately my opinion would be a bit one-sided(no PS3) so I'm stuck playing by the rules.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Lots of us who have both just find Gears co-op ridiculously fun. I'd take it over Halo 2, which has a zillion more online features.

That's my guess. People vote on things because of how it makes them feel usually.

But apparently since it's not inline with some other peoples views here, their opinion isn't valid as a result.

Guys you missed the best ones. GoW is fine but these....

Handheld Game Of The Year: Brain Age (Nintendo)

Achievement In Game Design: Wii Sports (Nintendo)

Seriously who were the ****ing morons who voted in these awards? I need to track them down and beat them with a stick.

I'll preface everything I'm going to say with first mentioning that I haven't played Resistance online.

The ability to play 40 player online is not, in and of itself, that impressive. It has been done before many times on PC. The fact that it is the first console game to have that number of players is impressive however, and kind of cool no less. It bodes well for the future of online multiplayer gaming with consoles.

The nature of the co-op in Gears has also been done before in a few titles as well, but to my knowledge it's never been done so easily and seemlessly with the ability to have friends come and go while playing through the entire single player campaign. It's an impressive feature as well, and again, one that bodes well for the future of online multiplayer gaming with consoles.

I have played a ton of online games, of all types, on the PC and Xbox/360 for years. And my personal feeling is that I would rather have a tightly knit game of 4 vs. 4 in a game like Gears than a 20 vs. 20 in Resistance. Smaller groups make for better team play, better communication, easier ways to establish tactics, and more specialization. In a 20 vs. 20 game, it's far harder to maintain order, work together, and communicate, in my experieince.

Back in the days when I use to play Quake, and games were 8 or 16 player, I kept thinking how cool it would be once we got to 32 or 64 players, or more. But when those things came to pass, the games just got a lot more chaotic for the most part, and it took something away from the game, for me personlly. I do understant that plenty of people like those large scale games.

As a matter of personal preference, I'd much rather play a game of Gears on a peer to peer network (although I admit, servers would be better), than a game with much larger numbers of players where communciation is already a problem due to the nature of the system/network, on dedicated servers, any time.

Xamdou

Gears Of War deserves every award it gets! It set the bar of what games should look like and is my most played 360 game so kudos to Epic Studios :D

plagiarize said:
you are missing the obvious.
What, that the original comment was overly general, and in order to be saved, had to be reduced in scope well past the point of relevancy?

Co-op in Gears is great, and really well done (I am told by reputable sources), but that's not new, or innovative, or never seen before. It's taking an existing mechanic, and polishing it to the point where it shines.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Dr_Cogent said:
Like I said already what seems to be 100 times, I don't remember any PC game working like Gears does. Furthermore, I find it simply more interesting and cool than tons of people playing online on a console game.

What on earth do you guys think that the award winners used to judge things? It was probably how impressive Gears actually came off compared to the rest of the competition.

Opinions on what is "more impressive" doesn't have to be completely logical. It's an opinion. ****ing get over it.
And I told you like 100 +1 times Swat 4, swat 4, swat 4. But I guess you ignored my post. Drop-in/drop-out online co-op (up to 10 people IIRC). I never said the AIAS's opinion isnt logical, or whatever methods they used to measure the validity of an award, and frankly I don't care. I already said I agree with pretty much all of their awards. What I'm saying is, your logic to the game seems flawed. Double standards ftl. It's not like I said Gears was a terrible online game or even remotely bad, jesus get over yourself. :lol

And FWIW, it's not JUST the 40 man MP that makes resistance a great online experience, I dont think anybody is riding on that single feature that makes Resistance online great. For the last time, check Denogg's resistance thread.

DenogginizerOS

For those of us that love Resistance, I suggest we go to the official Resistance thread and continue the lovefest there. We know the truth. ;)

DenogginizerOS said:
For those of us that love Resistance, I suggest we go to the official Resistance thread and continue the lovefest there. We know the truth. ;)

Why can't people love both?

Rahxephon91 said:
Should have been Final Fantasy XII or Okami.

I agree 100%. The character design in Gears is bad art, and character design is a big part of the art direction.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
And I told you like 100 +1 times Swat 4, swat 4, swat 4. But I guess you ignored my post. Drop-in/drop-out online co-op (up to 10 people IIRC). I never said the AIAS's opinion isnt logical, or whatever methods they used to measure the validity of an award, and frankly I don't care. I already said I agree with pretty much all of their awards. What I'm saying is, your logic to the game seems flawed. Double standards ftl. It's not like I said Gears was a terrible online game or even remotely bad, jesus get over yourself. :lol

And FWIW, it's not JUST the 40 man MP that makes resistance a great online experience, I dont think anybody is riding on that single feature that makes Resistance online great. For the last time, check Denogg's resistance thread.

Never played SWAT4 dude, so I know nothing about it. All I can go on is what I have played before so I have no idea how well SWAT4 executed it. I just have to take you for your word. My logic isn't flawed. Here is the jist of it:

Gears online impressed me.
Resistance didn't.

That's it. Everyone else is entitled to their opinion.

DenogginizerOS said:

No room for truth when it's an opinion. Truth is for facts only :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
A nomination would have appeased a lot of us. But I agree, I love Resistance and Gears for different reasons.

*shrug*

Can't please everyone. Doesn't matter anyhow - since it's just an opinion and everyone has a right to their own.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Dr_Cogent said:
Never played SWAT4 dude, so I know nothing about it. All I can go on is what I have played before so I have no idea how well SWAT4 executed it. I just have to take you for your word. My logic isn't flawed. Here is the jist of it:

Gears online impressed me.
Resistance didn't.

That's it. Everyone else is entitled to their opinion.
Bro I have no problem with you having opinion on a game, feel free to love/hate any game you choose. I just think it's ****ed up how you formed that opinion. :lol

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I do, and I know many others probably do so theres no reason they can't. But this is the internet. ;)

inpHilltr8r said:
What, that the original comment was overly general, and in order to be saved, had to be reduced in scope well past the point of relevancy?

Co-op in Gears is great, and really well done (I am told by reputable sources), but that's not new, or innovative, or never seen before. It's taking an existing mechanic, and polishing it to the point where it shines.
so you think that there's no difference between street fighter 2 and playing someone one on one at resistance over the internet?

we were OBVIOUSLY talking about online co-op as something different because Resistance has off line co-op.

beermonkey@tehbias said:

no idea. but then i don't get why before they even came out that people felt the need to compare them.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
Bro I have no problem with you having opinion on a game, feel free to love/hate any game you choose. I just think it's ****ed up how you formed that opinion. :lol

No biggie. I am willing to bet everyone has ****ed up reasons for certain opinions. Your opinion of my opinion is just that - an opinion ;) :lol

This isn't even that big of an issue. It's just a video game award is all. I can understand people getting miffed, but on a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 2 at most.

TigersFan

These awards don't even make sense. Gears wins game of the year for them, which automatically means that it also wins two other awards, best console game and best <insert genre here> game. It's like the Oscars having a "Best Movie" category along with another "Best Movie shown at theatre's in New York" category. Why create an awards program and then fill it with redundant awards. If you're going to separate things by platform at all, why not separate everything that way? If you're going to give awards for best in <blank> genre, why announce a "Best Game Evar" at all.

The majority rest of its awards are redundant too: best Animation, Art Direction and Visual Engineering. And then there's one for best online and one for best character performance (wtf? Gears is universally renouned for having some of the the worst character development I've ever seen in a game).

While I think giving lifetime achievment awards out to old big people in the industry, the rest of this just seems really badly thought out.

DenogginizerOS

Dr_Cogent said:
*shrug*

Can't please everyone. Doesn't matter anyhow - since it's just an opinion and everyone has a right to their own.

Agreed. But one should spend more than one or two hours playing a game before categorically dismissing it. The truth I was referring to is that a lot of people on this board think Resistance is better than what these awards indicate.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Dr_Cogent said:
No biggie. I am willing to bet everyone has ****ed up reasons for certain opinions. Your opinion of my opinion is just that - an opinion ;) :lol

This isn't even that big of an issue. It's just a video game award is all. I can understand people getting miffed, but on a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 2 at most.
Well I meant "false logic" when I said "****ed up". So I guess you missed that, but whatever. :p
I'm done with this thread. :)

Dr.Hadji

monchi-kun said:
AIAS is a sham, it's pay-to-play so if the publisher of a game doesn't front the cash then they're not listed as a nominee.

Okami Story and Characters >>> LoZ: TP

Okami had a better conclusion. TP had better build up, pacing, and relavence to the gameplay.

Okami's (minor) characters had to much overly expressive in order to get their character across. This was mostly due to most of the characters lacking in distintive features (outside of their wear). Personally, I find alot of value in the all the character TPs characters show in their quiet moments.

Minda is a fox.

Zeruda wins.

Tieno

TigersFan said:
These awards don't even make sense. Gears wins game of the year for them, which automatically means that it also wins two other awards, best console game and best <insert genre here> game. It's like the Oscars having a "Best Movie" category along with another "Best Movie shown at theatre's in New York" category. Why create an awards program and then fill it with redundant awards. If you're going to separate things by platform at all, why not separate everything that way? If you're going to give awards for best in <blank> genre, why announce a "Best Game Evar" at all.

The majority rest of its awards are redundant too: best Animation, Art Direction and Visual Engineering. And then there's one for best online and one for best character performance (wtf? Gears is universally renouned for having some of the the worst character development I've ever seen in a game).

While I think giving lifetime achievment awards out to old big people in the industry, the rest of this just seems really badly thought out.
I would say the characterisation of your squad was prety good. There was some great interaction and it felt look a group with different personalities. Other games I've played where you're in a squad the characters all felt lifeless and were interchangeable. The stereotypes were well executed.

JB1981

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'll preface everything I'm going to say with first mentioning that I haven't played Resistance online.

The ability to play 40 player online is not, in and of itself, that impressive.

All those words for no reason. No one here has suggested that Resistance is better, be default, because it supports 40 players. Do you just conveniently gloss over every other reason why people have such high praise for this game?

JB1981 said:
All those words for no reason. No one here has suggested that Resistance is better, be default, because it supports 40 players. Do you just conveniently gloss over every other reason why people have such high praise for this game?

Nope. But this continues to be the biggest arguement I see in it's favor. This thread in particular has listed that as one of the, if no THE, major reason it should have beaten out Gears for Online Game at these awards.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Nope. But this continues to be the biggest arguement I see in it's favor. This thread in particular has listed that as one of the, if no THE, major reason it should have beaten out Gears for Online Game at these awards.

I agree. I didn't notice anyone else in this thread mentioning anything beyond 40 players as another reason either.

KAOS said:
This thread is not about resistance... it's about GEARS! Congrats Epic! Congrats GEARS!

Every thread about Gears turns into a Gears Vs. Resistance thread. This is nothing new here unfortunately.

DenogginizerOS

Can we all agree that Resistance should have been on the list? I mean, if you are going to crown Gears the best online game (which it is one of the best of last year) you should at least nominate the game that many think was as well executed. Include VEGAS in that list as well. I think some have even given Vegas the best online award over Gears on some other lists.

I don't think anyone here is disputing the greatness of Gears. It is a masterpiece in many ways. I just think its winning the award for best online game would be better received if other games that have been mentioned were at least nominated. In many ways, Gears getting this award without Resistance and Vegas on the list somewhat cheapens Gears' victory.

For reference, here are the nominees:

Call of Duty 3 Treyarch Activision
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Redstorm Studios/Ubisoft Paris Ubisoft
Gears of War Epic Games Microsoft Game Studios
Chromehounds From Software Sega of America
Battlefield 2142 D.I.C.E. Electronic Arts - WTF!!!

Top Bottom