• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AIAS am biased: Gears of War dominates

I stand by what I said, in my experince, Dr C is a wet blanket for anything Sony. maybe he feels it's necessary to counter Sonybots or somesuch, I dunno.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
I stand by what I said, in my experince, Dr C is a wet blanket for anything Sony. maybe he feels it's necessary to counter Sonybots or somesuch, I dunno.

Stand by whatever you like Ignatz. You only know me from the slight sliver of information I have posted on here. No skin off my nose :)

I think people in this thread have forgotten how unique Gears of War is as an online competitive game and as an online cooperative game. Sure there are a ton of problems with the game's lobby system and whatnot, but from an actual design standpoint Gears of War is an online multiplayer game of its own.

Now from what I have seen of Resistence it is a very solid traditional online FPS game. It defiantly has a better infastructure and has more features then any other online multiplayer games for the consoles. But I don't think AIAS is judging technical achievements when they say "Best Online Multiplayer Game." I think they are looking at it as I said from a gameplay experience.

My guess is that it would have won had its style of gameplay not seem so similar to soo many other FPSs before it. Though there is absolutely no explanation for why Resistence wasn't at least nominated... thats just stupid.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
aias said:
Achievement In Story and Character Development: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)

totally. i liked the part where, once your totally blank in-game avatar had collected three of something, it turned out that he had to collect four of something else.

AniHawk

drohne said:
totally. i liked the part where, once your totally blank in-game avatar had collected three of something, it turned out that he had to collect four of something else.

Well, it was better than Dreamfall at least.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
hyp said:
:lol this thread has been invaded by the locust and chimera.

Well whatever they do, they are still losers :)

Seriously, Gears Of War deserved every award it got. I just cant believe the amount of hate it gets from the very vocal certain fan crowd here. Its not like the AIAS were trashing other games, they said what they liked the best. Just deal with it.

goldenpp72

Gears is a much more intimate online game then most.. 8 players allows you to get to know the room fast, form enemies or allies, and the way the combat and universal headset works out its just a lot more personal, it doesn't hurt that close range combat and various different avatars that you 'get to know' throughout the game are used. Its far better then most games.

_Angelus_

Banned
Big deal-Resistance didn't get nominated. Something tells me even if it did this thread would have been a train wreck anyways. The same old suspects start shit in these threads and it always ends the same way.

Have a tissue and move on already.:lol
ma_u_04.jpg

Speevy

Banned
drohne said:

It's called foreshadowing.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Congrats to Gears and Epic, very well deserved!

I only read the first and last page since I just got home and I'm tired as hell, but boo-hoo for Resistance not winning the online award - anyone who's played the drop-in drop-out co-op knows that that alone gives Gears the win as not only is it innovative, no other game had it till Crackdown, so it was unique at the time...

But once again, congrats to the people at Epic!

for the record, i think resistance should have been nominated too... i'm just saying that you can't argue outright that gears shouldn't have won.

both do different impressive things, and the judges obviously felt as i do that drop in drop out co op makes for a better multiplayer experience than resistance and it's many game types.

that's a totally subjective thing. i brought up the drop in drop out lag free (in my experiences) co op as the technically impressive thing that Gears did with it's multiplayer, as when people compare Gears and Resistance technically they almost always over look it and just talk about 8 players with lag versus 40 players without lag.

obviously beyond that, everything is subjective.

i'd not be waiting to clear my plate of shooters to grab my own copy of resistance if it had online co-op. it's just such a big feature for me, and i'd argue that co-op is just in vogue right now.

i've always been a sucker for co op and it really feels like we're coming out of the wilderness now as people swing back to co op from your kind of Quake style multiplayer and that furthermore it's no longer an after thought in games like Gears and Crackdown.

give me online drop in drop out co op in resistance 2 and i'll be singing it's praises too :)

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
DyobolikaL. said:
who cares, we all know the real winner......not saying GoW is a bad game but this award don't mean shi*

Obviously the real winner is GOW, but heres a tissue !

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
DyobolikaL. said:
W.e AIAS tries too hard to be legit, yet they require a payment of 1,000$ for a nominantion.

and that somehow makes them unable to articulate which games they prefer ? please, give it a rest.

DyTonic

Banned
GoW is a good game, but too many good games came out this year for it to dominate so much -_-

I want to see nominations..

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
DyobolikaL. said:
GoW is a good game, but too many good games came out this year for it to dominate so much -_-

I want to see nominations..

You see, thats a perfectly valid comment ! and one that i agree with.

Man this thread was kind of predictable.

Like most other awards stuff, is it really that big a deal? *shrugs*

The funniest thing I found is that seemingly Phil Harrison had to present one of the gongs to Gears, which must have been a bit galling :lol

plagiarize said:
that's a totally subjective thing. i brought up the drop in drop out lag free (in my experiences) co op as the technically impressive thing that Gears did with it's multiplayer, as when people compare Gears and Resistance technically they almost always over look it and just talk about 8 players with lag versus 40 players without lag.

Yeah, I think people are caught up in the multiplayer thing and are forgetting that Gears delivers every second of its ridiculous single player experience in a multiplayer setting. And that's why it did so well in that area (EGM also gave it runner up for best Multiplayer).

PleoMax

Banned
Wollan said:
I played it at TGS a few times (online/offline) and I would say I know as much as most other Resistance players regarding it's features with maybe a bit more insight than the norm about it's history pre-release. I help out with the clan and scheduled matches as well.

Word?

You dont own a Ps3? So its just makes you happy that others are playing Resistence together on the Ps3 because of you?

Thats really noble.

And sad.

Regarding the online award and shit...i mean seriouslly cmon...Resistence Is call of Duty sci fi online, the only thing it does that others dont is 40 player. Gears is a new type of game, that is a breath of fresh air into the online competitive gaming, and guess what...you actually play as a team in the damm game, because it actually makes a big difference. Not to mention the Co-op.

Should resistence be nominated? Well maybe, but it wasn't.

I thought this was spot on.

Gears is my game of the year, for online coop and adversarial.

Wii sports was my second fave of the year, it reduced the amount of family fighting this holiday!

Top Bottom