• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana |OT| Experience the Other Kind of Hell on May 15th

CAVE recently uploaded some of the illustrations from Akai Katana to their NESiCA version site. Some of these are gorgeous, so people that want them for wallpapers etc. should take this chance.

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/nesica/akaikatanasin/

result1b.jpg

result2b.jpg

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I didn't know this game had an OT. Pizzaroll talked me into buying it a few months ago.

I watched the tutorial and haven't touched it since.

Wonko_C

I didn't know this game had an OT. Pizzaroll talked me into buying it a few months ago.

I watched the tutorial and haven't touched it since.

Slash Mode is a lot of fun. Build-up energy to fill the green bar, collect steel, summon phantom, shoot the steel to forge katanas, unleash hell.

I haven't been able to clear the game yet... (I refuse to use continues) on Novice. (laughs)

kaioshade

I give up.

I have been trying for months to do this. Watched every video I could get my hands on. Watched everything iconoclast did. I can barely scrape a few million, let alone 200 million. I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing wrong. I have no idea how players are staying phantom mode for what seems indefinitely.

Time to shelve this one. Between this and dodonpachi daifukkatsu, I'm losing my edge for cave.

Time to hit up ebay for that book.

shaowebb

I give up.

I have been trying for months to do this. Watched every video I could get my hands on. Watched everything iconoclast did. I can barely scrape a few million, let alone 200 million. I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing wrong. I have no idea how players are staying phantom mode for what seems indefinitely.

Time to shelve this one. Between this and dodonpachi daifukkatsu, I'm losing my edge for cave.

Time to hit up ebay for that book.

Im having the same trouble and honestly its dodging skills. If you get tagged at all in phantom mode in origin mode you are knocked out of phantom mode and you lose all the meter. They are staying in by being really precise in where they setup to shoot their bullet clearing laser. If you pop that laser to clear the bullets in phantom mode without reading or setting up in the right area first you wont see the shots that knock you out of phantom mode.

Its a lot more pattern recognition than scoring high in Slash mode because clearing bullets with Katanas is WAY safer than with phantom mode laser.

I can barely get anywhere trying for this artbook though :C

I know what to do, but with animation freelancing and such I just cant memorize patterns and retain them to make progress on this. Considering 200 million puts you at top 10 in the world on Origin this is going to be harsh for whoever achieves it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Today I played this for the first time. After all the indifference towards AK from the shmups.com forum I was expecting something mediocre, but holy fuck this game is fun. Between this and Futari I'm all set for the next couple of months!

Ulthwe

Got it a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing Slash on Novice, getting up to the 5th level. I wanted to 1CC it before moving to Normal, but I'm afraid I'm getting too aquainted to the fast refill rate of energy on Novice, so I'd rather switch now.

I suppose that's one of the reasons why training is not available on Novice.

Anyway, this is my second danmaku experiencie and I'm having a blast!

shaowebb

Welcome to the gold. This game was about a 7 month thing for me. I keep coming back to it too. The rhythm of flipping between modes and racking up points from katanas in Slash mode and the gold tornadoes in origin mode are just soooooo damned good.

This is up there in my top 2 most enjoyed Cave shmups. The other slot rotates a lot between Pink Sweets and Deathsmiles 2x. I still want a copy of Espgaluda 2 though so once its in my top 2 are likely settled.

Akai Katana may still have an artbook up to win BTW. I never could get my score high enough in Origin mode to win it. Browse back a few pages and you'll see it talked about. PM to see if the offer is still up. Dude did it to get folks to play an amazing game. I didn't win it and I have NO regrets. Chasing that was so fun. Game is amazing. I hope for sequels someday.

Ulthwe

Yep, I saw the contest, but it was two years ago and I haven't even touched Origin / Climax. Anyway, as soon as I get an score I can be proud of I'll post it, even if it's meager compared to pros.

Ulthwe

It might not seem like much, but I got 260 mil. on Slash, type A. Got up to the 4th stage boss, I could have racked quite a bit more if I had beaten him. I usually choke there, specially if I'm having a good run.

Top Bottom