• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana |OT| Experience the Other Kind of Hell on May 15th

Jucksalbe

Banned
Might as well post mine again. GT is Jucksalbe. For people that want to improve on the lower end of the leaderboards. I'm busy playing Neptunia mk2 right now, though. But at least that also has a Cave character in it.

Himself

Nice! I'll add everybody later today. I'm able to get a solid 80 mil just about every time now, but im kind of stuck there at the moment so ill be hanging at the bottom of the leqder boardss for some time. I haven't watched any killers runs yet because im having fun figuring it all out for myself for now. Just gotta push past this "plateau" I'm on...

danmaku

Essentially, it's nothing like Deathsmiles.

Man I can't wait for this to come in next week for me to pickup at Walmart. I've been playing Deathsmiles in anticipation of another Cave sidescroll shooter and I got to ask which (if any) of the Deathsmiles mechanics made it in

• One button makes you fire left and another fires right No
  • Press both buttons to summon a ring around you that will homing attack enemies that get too close No, but the B-type option locks on to enemies when you use laser.
  • every 1000pts your two button attack will active the ability to do more damage and to pass through bullets unharmed No
  • Holding down fire buttons slows movement Yes
  • and of course the standard of bombs make you invulnerable during their active portions of use Yes

I know about the Offense/Defense mode flipping mechanic from the OP, but I'm curious on the rest of these functions and if they exist in Akai Katana.

Does the game play the same or are some of the mechanics different in Akai Katana? Also is Akai as super easy as Deathsmiles is on level 1 and level 2 difficulty settings? If so level 3 and up for me the whole game (or whatever listing difficulties go by in Akai Katana).

There's no difficulty setting (in-game) and no stage select. It's very different from DS, but great nonetheless. The only thing that might be similar is how in DS you need to use a certain shot type to destroy certain enemies to get more crowns. In AK, it seems that destroying enemies with the normal shot gives you more green orbs, but there's more to this. I noticed that in ninja mode, some enemies (like the small helicopters) spawn a lot of suicide bullets when they die, so you can cancel them into gold, but others don't spawn anything. As a rule of thumb, I'd say small enemies spawn bullets, so they're great for scoring, while big enemies are good for refilling your ninja meter with green orbs. I should go into training mode and experiment a bit with different enemy types, but honestly the game is so good that I'd rather just play in score attack and see what happens! :)

p.s. all of this is valid for Origin/Climax mode

Bought this since I had a gift card and and a gift certificate that was expiring at Best Buy and converted some of it to Amazon Kindle cards, and it landed in my Gold Box for an extra 5% of on Amazon.

First few plays, I somewhat regretted the purchase. But now it's my number two game of all these Cave shumps on 360 (#1 being Mushi Futari, and I've played all a US system could, besides MMP/PS).

I got very close to 1CC Origin Novice the other day, with over 100mil (so I can confirm that achievement won't unlock in Novice). Afterwards I went back to Origin (Normal) and...realized I'm not really good at this game. :lol

GT is nocturnedelight if anyone is interested in comparing scores or anything.

Zeth

Should have this today, if you want somebody to populate the bottom of your friends leaderboard, I'm ZethGAF on Live. I've read that AK is sort of maybe on the easy side of the Cave difficulty scale, is that true?

Went to check stock online for Gamestop and was disgusted to see it already listed pre-owned for $5 less, but I guess that's standard practice now.

16:9 should be pretty sweet, and it might help rectify the slight image retention developing on my plasma from playing vert Cave shmups, lol.

danmaku

Ok, forget about what I said about enemy types, they all spawn suicide bullets, you just have to destroy them at point blank. Still, big enemies don't seem to spawn more bullets than the small ones, so I'd say that my point about popcorn enemies still stands.

shaowebb

Essentially, it's nothing like Deathsmiles.

There's no difficulty setting (in-game) and no stage select. It's very different from DS, but great nonetheless. The only thing that might be similar is how in DS you need to use a certain shot type to destroy certain enemies to get more crowns. In AK, it seems that destroying enemies with the normal shot gives you more green orbs, but there's more to this. I noticed that in ninja mode, some enemies (like the small helicopters) spawn a lot of suicide bullets when they die, so you can cancel them into gold, but others don't spawn anything. As a rule of thumb, I'd say small enemies spawn bullets, so they're great for scoring, while big enemies are good for refilling your ninja meter with green orbs. I should go into training mode and experiment a bit with different enemy types, but honestly the game is so good that I'd rather just play in score attack and see what happens! :)

p.s. all of this is valid for Origin/Climax mode

Ok, forget about what I said about enemy types, they all spawn suicide bullets, you just have to destroy them at point blank. Still, big enemies don't seem to spawn more bullets than the small ones, so I'd say that my point about popcorn enemies still stands.

Cool. Thanks for all that. I'm actually glad that almost none of Death Smiles mechanics made it into Akai Katana because it keeps the two experience's completely unique from one another and keeps them from becoming redundant to each other. Im just a bit excited to get my copy of Akai Katana next week is all and was wondering if my playing of Deathsmiles would equate to anything in that game. Doesn't look like it will, but who cares this just means I have two distinctly unique bullethells by Cave that are completely awesome to jump back and forth between depending on my mood.

Thanks man.

danmaku

Ok, I just beat my record and reached stage 6 with type-A. Holy shit, this game never stops throwing craziness right in your face!
it's raining battleships!

Score was about 268 millions, worth #56 in the (japanese) leaderboard. Too bad I can't see GAF scores with my version :(

Let us break down the wall between NTSC-J and U.

Atlas-BerlinWall2.jpg

Iconoclast, would you be down to host J360 GAF's scores in the OP?

Here are mine:

Origin

Type 1
162,268,300 ALL

Type 2
119,100,188 ALL

Type 3
309,002,272 ALL

Climax
Type 3
350,531,604 ALL

Slash
Type 1
853,358,609 ALL

Type 2
518,983,480 ALL

If Danmaku, Tain and anyone else with a J360 want to add theirs, that would be swell.

Man, I just realized I haven't played Climax/Zetsu mode almost at all in this game. I thought I was through with it, but looks like I still have something to play.

meppi

Not always though. I've witnessed moment where enemies refuse to pop suicide bullets.
Mostly noticing this when I destroyed a boss and have enough energy left to continue the next stage in phantom form.
In this case it seems to be best to cancel phantom form immediately and try to build up your spirit gauge again.
Not sure about it though...Might be throwing away some scoring opportunities that way, but I can't see how at this moment.

Ok, I just beat my record and reached stage 6 with type-A. Holy shit, this game never stops throwing craziness right in your face!
it's raining battleships!

Score was about 268 millions, worth #56 in the (japanese) leaderboard. Too bad I can't see GAF scores with my version :(
I'll be getting the Japanese version as well in the beginning of July.
Already have the Pal version twice, but I love this game so much I won't hesitate to get the Japanese release as well.
Won't hurt to support Cave a little extra as well. ;)

Here are mine:

Climax
Type 3
350,531,604 ALL

Holy crap! I'm at 86Million right now if I'm not mistaken.
Using type C almost exclusively and playing 95% Climax and 5% Slash.
Will take me a while to get close to that score. And seeing how you're just getting started on Climax I'm sure by the time I have reached that level, you'll have doubled the score or at least gotten over 600,000. :-O

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Y'know, I don't really like this game that much. I mean, I like it, but I like it less than most Cave shmups I've played. Which is still more than I like a lot of games.

Zeth

Which mode should I work on first, Origin? Primarily playing for survival. Just got into shmups recently and my only 1CCs are Futari BL Original and DDP Res 1.5 Strong.

Is there a standard layout for an arcade stick?

edit: some of the many luxuries associated with GameStop: price sticker on case + game sealed by a transparent circular sticker (is the second part even normal?)

meppi

Which mode should I work on first, Origin? Primarily playing for survival. Just got into shmups recently and my only 1CCs are Futari BL Original and DDP Res 1.5 Strong.

Is there a standard layout for an arcade stick?

edit: some of the many luxuries associated with GameStop: price sticker on case + game sealed by a transparent circular sticker (is the second part even normal?)

I'd say either Origin or Climax since that's the rebalanced version of the arcade original with widescreen support. but I'm a bit biased towards Climax. ;)
The scoring system and gameplay options are a bit more basic than in Slash Mode, but at the same time the game is a bit more forgiving in Slash mode. Although the scoring system is more complicated with the iron and katanas on top of everything else.

Yep, the circle seal is there so they know if you open the case. Because it's okay if they open it but not if you open it.

meppi

rofl. That's me. I'm A Real Puppet and that sounds like a challenge, homie!

:)

I think I might have beat you to it. ;)
Well besides Slash mode that is. Just starting to get somewhat used to the very different scoring mechanics. And I'm having a lot more trouble at the bosses in this mode as well since the whole timing for the use of the special attacks is so very different from the other modes.

I have improved my scores a bit last night.

Origin:
From about 14Million to 40,061,979 and I know it can be easily bettered.

Climax:
From 87Million to 143,017,457
That one might take me a while to improve upon, but I made quite a few obvious mistakes along the way. At the end of the first boss for instance and I believe all the way through level 2. lol Botched nearly that whole level if I remember correctly. :D

meppi

I added a GAF leaderboard to the OP instead. So if you guys post your scores in here, I'll add it to the rankings. Just specify which mode you're playing, which ship you used, and how far you made it.

Holy crap at your scores there!
But I'm actually not surprised seeing your some of your scores in other shooters. :)
My score above are all with type C and the climax one was at the level 5 boss.
Would have to check for origin. But I believe Boss 3 or level 4.

I think I might have beat you to it. ;)
Well besides Slash mode that is. Just starting to get somewhat used to the very different scoring mechanics. And I'm having a lot more trouble at the bosses in this mode as well since the whole timing for the use of the special attacks is so very different from the other modes.

I have improved my scores a bit last night.

Origin:
From about 14Million to 40,061,979 and I know it can be easily bettered.

Climax:
From 87Million to 143,017,457
That one might take me a while to improve upon, but I made quite a few obvious mistakes along the way. At the end of the first boss for instance and I believe all the way through level 2. lol Botched nearly that whole level if I remember correctly. :D

I just came so close to your score. :( But I got to Stage 5, which is at least a sign I'm improving!

meppi

I just came so close to your score. :( But I got to Stage 5, which is at least a sign I'm improving!

I'm sure you'll get there much quicker than you think and leave me in the dust. ;)
But I won't go down without a fight.

Have to say though that this is so much fun. Trying to improve your score since you see how much higher someone else is, or even when you see others closing in on your score and making you realize that you'll have to do better to keep your spot.
Really takes me back of playing arcade games at the café I grew up in back in the early 80s. :)

Zeth

Iconoclast, I've been using one of your AK Shin YouTube vids to work on my stage 1/2 score haha (assuming there's only one shmup master called iconoclast).

I am so bad at this game. It's kicking my ass. I can rarely make it to the last stage even on free play, with restarts on each level after mistakes. I know it's dumb but I'm kind of having fun going for score in the early stages even though I'm incapable of surviving the latter half of the game.

DireStr8s

In anticipation of getting my copy this week I've gone through & sent friend requests to those who gave their tags. In the meantime I've never tried online co op in Deathsmiles if anyone wants to give it a whirl.

My gamertag is Lost Colonist & please feel free to add

JEKKI

rofl. That's me. I'm A Real Puppet and that sounds like a challenge, homie!

:)
lol awwww man I got beat lol.

it's frustrating tho! I dont play with the type of skill level that can ever 1CC these darn games

so I get random killed a lot in places where I kno I can survive

and also fluke out high scores every now and then that I struggle to reach subsequently

>_<

o well keep playing!!!

Zeth

This game is very hard. I still try though. Score attack frustrates me too much because of fluke mistakes that ruin runs. Even playing story mode and restarting the levels on mistakes I can't finish it. Surprisingly still fun to try to improve stage scores.

Futari Black Label original is the only Cave shmup I can 1CC reliably :( I'll continue to practice though, love shmups.

mqo7m.jpg

Fuck yes! :D

God damn, Type B is hard to use in arcade mode. I only died once in this run (on stage 5), which was planned so I could refill my bombs & continue abusing the laser refill. I got greedy at the end too - instead of suiciding on the stage 5 boss to ensure an easy stage 6, I said screw it and went into him with 90% red health and only one bomb. I would have been mad as hell if I died, but thankfully it went pretty much perfectly.

Latest issue of Arcadia announces that CAVE will be porting Akai Katana Shin (Slash) to Taito's NESSiCA arcade system.

No release date yet but mad hyped to play this in the arcade when it comes out.

hongcha

Latest issue of Arcadia announces that CAVE will be porting Akai Katana Shin (Slash) to Taito's NESSiCA arcade system.

Wow, big news! I wonder if this will lead to a purely DD future for Cave. Release an arcade game on NESiCA Live (which is DD for the arcade ops), then port it worldwide within a year to PSN/XBLA/WiiU (and whatever else).

shaowebb

Wow, big news! I wonder if this will lead to a purely DD future for Cave. Release an arcade game on NESiCA Live (which is DD for the arcade ops), then port it worldwide within a year to PSN/XBLA/WiiU (and whatever else).

I'd put the chances somewhere around 99.9999999999999999999%

UlO5S.gif

danmaku

God damn, Type B is hard to use in arcade mode. I only died once in this run (on stage 5), which was planned so I could refill my bombs & continue abusing the laser refill. I got greedy at the end too - instead of suiciding on the stage 5 boss to ensure an easy stage 6, I said screw it and went into him with 90% red health and only one bomb. I would have been mad as hell if I died, but thankfully it went pretty much perfectly.

Why did you do that? does the game have a ranking system or you just wanted a bomb refill?

Glad to hear that Shin is being released on Nessica.

Why did you do that? does the game have a ranking system or you just wanted a bomb refill?

If you die on the final boss in arcade mode, you won't get any end game bonus at all. So if I want to make sure I'll get through it with dying, I'll suicide on the stage 5 boss for the bomb refill & full health bar.

danmaku

If Danmaku, Tain and anyone else with a J360 want to add theirs, that would be swell.

Yessir!

Origin

Type 2
71,254,464 stage 4-BOSS

Climax

Type 1
267,935,290 stage 6

Type 2
244,678,354 stage 5

I played a bit of Origin tonight and it's not bad, but Climax really feels like the "complete" version. Cave should release it in the arcades toghether with Shin, scorers would love it.

If you die on the final boss in arcade mode, you won't get any end game bonus at all. So if I want to make sure I'll get through it with dying, I'll suicide on the stage 5 boss for the bomb refill & full health bar.

Thanks. Never made it to the final boss, but I'm working on it!

danmaku

w00t! I cracked 300 millions with type-3! it's my least favourite ship, but it has crazy scoring potential.

Climax

Type 3
320.462.983 stage 6

So I've had an official Akai Katana art book leftover from a CAVE shop screw-up sitting around for about a year now and I figure it's time to put it to good use. I grabbed one more today from Akiba and I'm putting them up for prizes. You win, I send them to you. Why? Eh, I love this game.

PoUyOl.jpg

Rules

1. Only people playing the US/EU version can participate. Sorry J360 owners but we've had a time advantage as well as Japanese player replays to refer to. People who own both versions are also disqualified.

2. Prizes are limited to Neo-GAF members only (registered as of today) so it doesn't get complicated.

3. I've only got two art books, so I figure there should be two categories:

(i) Overall best Akai Katana Slash score by September 31st. (Awarded to Iconclast)
(ii) First person to break 200million in Origin mode. (Still available)

(i) should allow plenty of time for people to get good at the game.

4. Evidence has to be uploaded in the form of a photograph. I'll have a henchman check the leaderboards to verify the score, so please submit scores in SCORE ATTACK.

5. There also might be a bonus prize after both winners are decided...

Given the closing of the CAVE shop, it's pretty much a sure thing that this art book is going to be out of print and hard to find soon. So practice up and sharpen yo blades!

Pookmunki

Got this yesterday and general consensus is to playt Climax first - am I right?

Struggling in stage 3 but I'm sure I'll level up soon - totally agree with the comment about noticable improvement.

Top Bottom