• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana |OT| Experience the Other Kind of Hell on May 15th

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've really not played much of the game at all (I underestimated my Xenoblade addiction, clearly), but I'm getting to stage 5 on one credit. I'm finally starting to figure out how to dodge shit in a horizontal shmup.... though I keep dying stupidly on the first boss, for whatever reason.

That's in Origin mode, btw. I haven't played any of Slash or Climax.

JEKKI

I'm playing Origin, because it's the arcade game. I don't like messing with the extraneous modes before taking on the real deal.
Origin mode eyyyyyyy?!?!?!

u kno tho when u first start the game it defaults to Slash mode.

slash mode is pretty cool too coz u get to shoot actual akia katanas at the villains.

LiK

The Steel/Katana system is tough to get a hang of. Dont think ill be able to a lot of high scores in this one. Not my fave CAVE shmup but it's so damn pretty and nice music.

Btw, what's up with those endings? More bizarre than usual from a CAVE game.

tearsofash

Took me a few playthroughs of dying, but then I finally realized how to properly play it. I still don't get high scores, but I'm having fun.

Danny Dudekisser

Back when I credit fed through shmups (aka: when I first got into the genre like 5 years ago), I saw the end of Dodonpachi Daioujou. And let me tell you, that is the most depressing, uncomfortable ending ever. I have no idea what happened, but the pictures and music disturbed me.

I have not been okay since :(

meppi

How far is everyone else getting on one credit? I must be complete garbage, because I'm having trouble consistently just getting past the second boss without getting hit. Origin mode, by the way.
I'm focussing on Climax mode for now and I get to the level 5 boss sometimes.
My best score would be 61 million when I got to the end of level 2, but I was so surprised my scoring tactics were starting to work that I botched everything and flew straight into whatever they threw at me. lol

Daigoro

I'm focussing on Climax mode for now and I get to the level 5 boss sometimes.
My best score would be 61 million when I got to the end of level 2, but I was so surprised my scoring tactics were starting to work that I botched everything and flew straight into whatever they threw at me. lol

that's pretty much me and every Cave release. as soon as i get a decent understanding of the scoring system i start dying a lot more. never fails!

meppi

Hehe, yeah me too.
I get too focussed on maximizing every scoring opportunity and get myself into impossible spots all the time. :)

One thing I have realized somewhere over the past 15 years is that I'm not helping myself by looking at super plays, unless it's just to learn an advanced technique or two.
But the way these players play the games, memorizing every single part of them and being able to keep the ship at the top of the screen to utilize temporary safe spots and blast stuff out of the sky when it only has 1 pixel on screen, is something I myself don't find to be fun at all.
So I'm never going to be anywhere near the top of the boards, but that doesn't mean that I won't be having a damn good time playing these releases. ;)

There's a phrase that you see on a lot of Japanese superplay video on niconico etc.

上手すぎて参考にならない

This guy's so good at the game I can't learn anything from the video.

It's especially true with extremely technical games like Dodonpachi Resurrection, but it can also be unhelpful at first with Akai Katana. It's good just to see what they're doing, in terms of the method, and see if you can apply that elsewhere. Starting on advanced strategies/patterns from Stage 1 will often get you killed in CAVE games. It's both the gift and the curse of leaderboard replays.

FEsvL.jpg

Took a break from Diablo to try and get this out of the way. I screwed up stage 4 really badly in this run, and of course I made a ton of other mistakes all over the place, so I think I should be able to get 320-330m for sure.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
In Slash mode, how much of an effect does the combo counter have on your score? When I was first learning it I was under the impression that it was pretty big, but when I focus more on building meter to shoot katanas more often, my scores end up higher. So it can't be that large, right?

In Slash mode, how much of an effect does the combo counter have on your score? When I was first learning it I was under the impression that it was pretty big, but when I focus more on building meter to shoot katanas more often, my scores end up higher. So it can't be that large, right?

Your hit counter applies a multiplier to the gold value, so it has a big effect on scoring. ISO and SIN's scores are miles ahead of everybody else's because they're jacking the hit counter up as high as they possibly can.

I don't know the exact math behind it, but here are two examples:
At 42,000 hits, each piece of gold is worth over 152,000 points.
At 25,000 hits, each of piece of gold is worth 105,000 points

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Ah, that makes sense - my hit counter has never gotten remotely that high, so I guess it doesn't have much of an effect at low levels then?

How far is everyone else getting on one credit? I must be complete garbage, because I'm having trouble consistently just getting past the second boss without getting hit. Origin mode, by the way.

I've been playing between sessions of Rayman, but I'm having trouble at about the same spot as you. I can usually make it past the second boss, but then I die mid-way through stage 3. :S

Edit: Oh, yeah. Guys, feel free to add me on XBLA for leaderboards an' stuff. XBL: A Real Puppet

Your hit counter applies a multiplier to the gold value, so it has a big effect on scoring. ISO and SIN's scores are miles ahead of everybody else's because they're jacking the hit counter up as high as they possibly can.

I don't know the exact math behind it, but here are two examples:
At 42,000 hits, each piece of gold is worth over 152,000 points.
At 25,000 hits, each of piece of gold is worth 105,000 points

First off, congrats on the 300 mil with Type A. That is a great achievement. I'll try to check out the replay soon (assuming it's up on the leaderboards).

This is probably as good a time to tell you as any, but sir, your pilot is a

tarp-set-up_small.jpg

I also cracked open the Akai Katana scoring DVD booklet right now to check out the scoring information and how the combo affects things. All it says is that the value of the combo is added on top of the value of score items. Nothing more detailed than that I'm afraid. Bit of a mystery but it is definitely in your favor to continue the combo if possible.

hipgnosis

Played my first credits. Just tried Slash since I find the scoring system more interesting. Holy fuck this game is good! Firing the katanas is one of the most satisfiying things in any Cave shmups ever. This could get on par with Futari as my favorite shmup.

Got a score of 222mil and got to Stage 5. Gonna go for the 1CC on Slash first. There are 6 stages right?

meppi

Finally was able to crack my previous Climax score of 62M with type A and improve it to 86M with type C at the boss of level 4.

But the thing is, I made some huge and extremely obvious errors throughout the whole run. The first level went quite well, but at the very last second I had to bomb my way through the boss for no reason whatsoever besides me being a dumb-ass and taking those last couple of seconds for granted.
Something you clearly should never do. ;P

Then throughout the other levels I wasted numerous big score opportunities, not to mention a couple of lives without there being any reason for it really. Well besides me not paying enough attention.

Tried a little big of Slash mode as well and I just love how completely different that mode plays. It's nothing like Climax, even though people who don't play these games wouldn't notice besides: hey swords and blue things!
Some parts of the boss patterns in Slash are more forgiving as well it seems, or perhaps it has to do with rank. Although I'm not even sure this game uses it. :-/

Origin mode is certainly a lot more brutal. Especially since the energy bar is way harder to fill. The narrower screen certainly doesn't make it any easier either.

Overall I love Climax mode the most at this point and I certainly like playing with type C the most, even though the short range special attack is quite risky.

Been a long time since I've been this addicted to a side scrolling shooter as my preference always went to the vertical variety.

I'd seriously buy a 360 just for Akai Katana at this point.
And some say the system doesn't have any worthwhile exclusives. ;)

Himself

Since there just seems to be a handful of us playing here on GAF can we post our XBLA names in the OP for quick reference? Mine is OnanieBomb. I'd love to have some scores to compare/compete with.

Danny Dudekisser

Working on no missing the first 4 stages on origin, and doing so consistently. Getting pretty competent. I haven't played the game in like 4 days, so it did take some readjustment.

One thing I haven't focused on at all, though, is scoring. So my scores are like... absolutely abysmal.

Started on Slash mode tonight for a change of pace. I really.. REALLY.. enjoy this mode!! I'm making a little progress; I can breeze through stage 1 and 2, usually make a dumb mistake on the 2nd boss, then end my game against the stage 3 boss. Scoring actually "feels" better in Slash/Shin to me, too. Think I'll stick with it for a while.

Added those of you who posted your tags. :D

shaowebb

it's $40 , no sales. you can find it everywhere online.

Cool. I was thinking I might find a sale if I asked around here, but even still thats pretty kick ass. A bud online got to play it yesterday and I've been following the thread. Sounds incredible. Can anyone describe the shooting abilities of the playable cast? I haven't been able to find too much on that and I'm trying to make plans on who to go in on the most.

If it helps I'm a fan of both the tried and true spread pattern shots that fan out and of any characters that can fling out impact bombs into crowds like Roger Sasuke in Castle Shikigami (my main in spite of his odd rushdown specials and vulnerabilities).

EDIT: Hell yeah! Associate discount just landed me this for $35

Dachande

I... do not understand the scoring system in Slash at all. How do I change shots into gold when changing back from Phantom->Plane mode? I've done it a few times but completely by accident. Usually when I'm trying to work it out I notice the enemy bullets change colour slightly, but I have no idea what to do with them after that.

Ebgames.ca shipped my copy finally.. I'll be giving it some playtime and writing a review for extremegamer.ca

Look forward to something from a decently experienced Cave gamer w/ an import 360 and most of the 360 Cave games.

shaowebb

I got a buddy coming over Tuesday for some bullethell. He's played a lot of Castle Shikigami/Mobile Light Force and Fantasy Zone with me before so we're pretty pumped for Cave shooters getting added to our list of things to run with.

I know I'll have Deathsmiles and Jamestown but I don't know if Walmart will have my copy of Akai Katana in by then. Here's hoping they do, because if so this is gonna get awesome quick. Either way Bullethell in WV is a go for Tuesday. :D

vall03

damn, this sucks. My local stores aren't stocking the game and whenever I ask, they have no idea what the game Im talking about. Whats even more annoying is that people got their Diablo III day one, and they now even have Dragons Dogma on stock while I wait.

Ended up asking a friend in the US to order on Amazon for me but I won't be getting it until July when he goes back, I really hate how I always get the short end of the stick... *sigh*

Llyranor

Played this today. Awesome game! Really love the little mechanics. Switching between offensive and defensive for speed, gathering up energy + feeding it in offensive mode, switching to phantom to bounce bullets, going offensive to deal extra damage for just a few secs before the bullets come back, going back to fighter mode to accumulate more energy once it's safer. Balancing all these little things is a blast. I really like how you switch back and forth between the modes, rather than in some other games where when you activate an energy gauge and go super-saiyan, it goes all the way until the depletes completely.

hipgnosis

I love this game. Pretty much a GOTY at this point. Everything is just super awesome, love the artsyle, the old-school music and the super tight mechanics.

And I haven't even touched the other modes besides Slash yet.

I love this game. Pretty much a GOTY at this point. Everything is just super awesome, love the artsyle, the old-school music and the super tight mechanics.

And I haven't even touched the other modes besides Slash yet.

I'm still a newbie at bullet hell shmups (this is only my third one, after Deathsmiles 1 & 2) so you might disagree once you get around to the other modes, but I really do prefer Slash's scoring mechanics and overall gameplay. It's just so much fun and more rewarding than Origin/Climax.

Himself

Has everyone posted their XBLA names? I've added everyone who has posted theirs and I only have 6 gaffers on my score board. Sup wit dat? Again, mine is: OnanieBomb

It's probably too early to be sure, but of the 5Cave games I've played, this might be my favorite.

meppi

Oh forgot about that.
Mine's meppi64.

I'd much rather have a couple more good people that enjoy these fine shoot em ups instead of filling my list with COD drones. ;)
Do don't hesitate to add me.

Himself

Oh forgot about that.
Mine's meppi64.

I'd much rather have a couple more good people that enjoy the fine shoot em ups instead of filling my list with COD drones. ;)
Do don't hesitate to add me.

Plus it's nice to have a small group of people, some of whom are going to be pretty much on par with you making a more focused way of getting better. Not getting lost in the big ocean of a leader board.

If there's one thing I love about shmups, it's that out of all genres of video games today, it's the one where you can most visibly see yourself improving. Especially in Score Attack mode.

Plus it's nice to have a small group of people, some of whom are going to be pretty much on par with you making a more focused way of getting better. Not getting lost in the big ocean of a leader board.

Very true. It lends a certain healthy amount of competition, which always helps. You may not care much about some random Joe Shmoe knocking you from 34 to 35, but you're going to be more motivated to try to beat the folks on your Friends list.

JEKKI

craaaaaaap dood I started doing score attack stuff

but Im playing Origin mode.

like in Slash everything is all ez and u get to throw big azz daggers all over the place n get points n shyt.

Origin mode is all tough and all grrrrrrr am I doing it right?!?!?!

I needa watch sum replays, coz the first stage alone is a struggle lol.

shaowebb

Man I can't wait for this to come in next week for me to pickup at Walmart. I've been playing Deathsmiles in anticipation of another Cave sidescroll shooter and I got to ask which (if any) of the Deathsmiles mechanics made it in

• One button makes you fire left and another fires right
  • Press both buttons to summon a ring around you that will homing attack enemies that get too close
  • every 1000pts your two button attack will active the ability to do more damage and to pass through bullets unharmed
  • Holding down fire buttons slows movement
  • and of course the standard of bombs make you invulnerable during their active portions of use

I know about the Offense/Defense mode flipping mechanic from the OP, but I'm curious on the rest of these functions and if they exist in Akai Katana.

Does the game play the same or are some of the mechanics different in Akai Katana? Also is Akai as super easy as Deathsmiles is on level 1 and level 2 difficulty settings? If so level 3 and up for me the whole game (or whatever listing difficulties go by in Akai Katana).

Sorry to ask all this but I'm super eager to rip into my copy and I'd like to know if there are any new or different mechanics to its playstyle or difficulty to anticipate besides the offense/defense mode mechanics that either convert bullets to gold or reflect bullets away.

Yes Boss!

Has everyone posted their XBLA names? I've added everyone who has posted theirs and I only have 6 gaffers on my score board. Sup wit dat? Again, mine is: OnanieBomb

Mine is:

Yes Boss

Not sure if I've got you on mine. I did accept two yesterday...jbueno and somebody else. I won't be on till a few more weeks. Have not been able to use the 360 for about a year but will get it out of storage and fire it up mid-june.

shaowebb

Mine is Dynasty Penguin.
US 360 though if that makes a difference for some of you. I know Akai Katana is US but I also know a lot of Cave fans here play on both regions of systems.

InfectedZero is my GT. Also, got it yesterday through Amazon and man o man is it a blast to play. Focusing on Slash mode, switching between score runs and trying to 1cc without caring about score.

Top Bottom