• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana |OT| Experience the Other Kind of Hell on May 15th

jbueno

No way in hell I´m winning any of those amazing artbooks, but I will submit a highscore later. I hope my copy comes in by Tuesday so I can start practicing.

I guess I'll submit my own meager scores just to get one more name up on the GAF leaderboards. Come on, people! No need to be shy!

SLASH
168,216,786 Stage 4

CLIMAX
147,361,214 Stage 5

ORIGIN
35,873,293 Stage 4

Haven't played in a few days thanks to getting a Vita and playing PSP backlog, but I'll keep practicing.

Edit: OOPS! All of the above scores are using Type-2 fighter.

meppi

ooooh nice, something to aim for! :D

Incredible contest as well! Not sure if I'll be able to step up my game enough to get close to it though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Loving this game, but damn getting the first 450+ achievements was a breeze compared to previous from Cave's.

I need a guide tho, I have no idea how the scoring works and how you aquire more katanas and stuff, any help?

kaioshade

So I've had an official Akai Katana art book leftover from a CAVE shop screw-up sitting around for about a year now and I figure it's time to put it to good use. I grabbed one more today from Akiba and I'm putting them up for prizes. You win, I send them to you. Why? Eh, I love this game.

PoUyOl.jpg

Rules

1. Only people playing the US/EU version can participate. Sorry J360 owners but we've had a time advantage as well as Japanese player replays to refer to. People who own both versions are also disqualified.

2. Prizes are limited to Neo-GAF members only (registered as of today) so it doesn't get complicated.

3. I've only got two art books, so I figure there should be two categories:

(i) Overall best Akai Katana Slash score by September 31st.
(ii) First person to break 200million in Origin mode.​

(i) should allow plenty of time for people to get good at the game.

4. Evidence has to be uploaded in the form of a photograph. I'll have a henchman check the leaderboards to verify the score, so please submit scores in SCORE ATTACK.

5. There also might be a bonus prize after both winners are decided...

Given the closing of the CAVE shop, it's pretty much a sure thing that this art book is going to be out of print and hard to find soon. So practice up and sharpen yo blades!

Should be fun. havent even touched AKS yet, time to hop on it.

meppi

Loving this game, but damn getting the first 450+ achievements was a breeze compared to previous from Cave's.

I need a guide tho, I have no idea how the scoring works and how you aquire more katanas and stuff, any help?

I don't know, I'm still only at 310G... :-/
Perhaps it's because I'm only playing 1 credit at a time.

As for scoring.
A good way to go is to build up your power meter first and then collect as much iron as possible.
When you have a lot of enemies/bullets on screen, pop your iron and start destroying enemies close-up with your spread shot, not with the laser.
This way they shoot out a bunch of suicide/revenge bullets at you.
Slowly move back to the utmost left of the screen and when you have filled up the screen with as many bullets as possible and collected as many katanas in the process, pop those katanas and fire them into the barrage of bullets.
That should net you a lot of points.

You'll still need to find the best points in the levels and boss battles to do this and adjust your strategies accordingly. But that's part of the fun. :)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks, hipgonisis! I watched the first stage of your replay and immediately afterwards I doubled my score in Shin mode (from 66 million to 133 million). :)

kaioshade

So i started playing.

And nothing makes sense at all in Shin/Slash mode.

Original makes sense. repel, explode bullets, collect coins.. Makes sense.
Slash mode, can't seem to collect orbs, katanas, looking at some replays and the game makes no bloody sense. Ah well time to put more time into it.

So i started playing.

And nothing makes sense at all in Shin/Slash mode.

Original makes sense. repel, explode bullets, collect coins.. Makes sense.
Slash mode, can't seem to collect orbs, katanas, looking at some replays and the game makes no bloody sense. Ah well time to put more time into it.

I'm sure it's been explained, but:

1. Use rapid shot (or is it hold shot, I can't remember) to collect blue hagane (orbs) while in ship mode. You can see the number you've collected in a circular gauge around your ship.
  2. Switch to phantom mode, and your collected hagane will be ready to shoot. Press hold shot to release them. The more enemies they hit, the more katana are collected.
  3. While in phantom mode, you can still leech katana, albeit slowly, using your regular shot.
  4. To fire the katana, switch out of phantom mode back to ship mode while katana are hovering behind your phantom. They will fly in whatever direction they are aimed at the time you switch - different ships have different katana aim styles.
  5. The amount of gold you collect from katana hits is proximity based, so you should follow them as closely as possible after firing them.

Basically, it's as convoluted as it sounds.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't know, I'm still only at 310G... :-/
Perhaps it's because I'm only playing 1 credit at a time.

As for scoring.
A good way to go is to build up your power meter first and then collect as much iron as possible.
When you have a lot of enemies/bullets on screen, pop your iron and start destroying enemies close-up with your spread shot, not with the laser.
This way they shoot out a bunch of suicide/revenge bullets at you.
Slowly move back to the utmost left of the screen and when you have filled up the screen with as many bullets as possible and collected as many katanas in the process, pop those katanas and fire them into the barrage of bullets.
That should net you a lot of points.

You'll still need to find the best points in the levels and boss battles to do this and adjust your strategies accordingly. But that's part of the fun. :)

Thanks, I'll process all of that tomorrow :)
It's definitely 'cause you're trying to 1cc already, while I always credits feed my first play to have a look at all the levels, then try to do a survive run with 3cc, after that I go for survive 1cc (where I usually fail, lol) and only then I shoot for high score chasing.

It arrived today and I gave it a spin. Played through Origin with Type B. It was very enjoyable, although I couldn't figure out the mechanics completely. It looks nice and I absolutely love the old-school sound effects of enemies being destroyed. The music wasn't too memorable though. Reached the third boss on my first credit, but had to use many more later on. Despite that, the game felt pretty manageable, at least now after playing a lot of Futari.

I tried the first two stages in Slash and Climax as well, just to check them out for a couple of seconds. They seemed interesting as well, but I think I'll stick with Origin for now until I've 1cc'ed it with all types. But first I have to study the manual to wrap my head around the scoring system. Akai Katana definitely left a good first impression and I'm sure that I'm going to have a lot of intense fun with it this summer.

Zeth

Should I be tapping shot instead of using rapid shot? I usually use rapid in other games.

This game is my arch-nemesis. I've banged my head against it for a few weeks with very little progress. I've had a hard time with other Cave games but I've always made progress. Maybe because it's my first horizontal shooter. Time to sit back and watch some more replays I think.

hipgnosis

U56Qd.jpg

Loving this game. The artwork is so fantastic.

Gonna participate to that competition, gotta practise my Shin/Slash skills. At the moment I'm somewhere 400+ mil, next goal 500 mil. 1CC would be nice too.

That poster is awesome. Do want.

Should I be tapping shot instead of using rapid shot? I usually use rapid in other games.

I use C for rapid shot in every game. With the Type C character, if you hold C and tap A, you'll build energy faster as well. That's why her scoring potential is so much higher than the other two characters.

shaowebb

Just got Akai Katana in from my Walmart order (Finally!).Sad thing is I got mad college stuff to do this week including getting a printed portfolio setup for a convention I'll be at on Saturday. No time to play for long periods yet...

Also, I saw my local stores has Ultimate Shooting Collection & Raiden Fighter Aces both for below $5.
Any opinions on these shmup titles? (wish they'd port milestone collection 2 to the states...)

Raiden Fighters Aces is mad worth it for that price.

Glad to hear people are hyped on the contest! I'll post up some pics from the art book coming up.

shaowebb

Raiden Fighters Aces is mad worth it for that price.

Glad to hear people are hyped on the contest! I'll post up some pics from the art book coming up.

Awesome! Can't wait to see that. Also thanks for the tidbit on Raiden. Any thoughts on the other title? Its got 3 Milestone titles on it. I think its Karous, Chaos Field and Radirgy.

Shady859

Don't have a Wii so can't comment on Ultimate but Raiden Fighter Aces is a must at 4x that price! It's the game that got me interested in shooters again and now i'm helplessly addicted. Well buying a iPhone and playing on that several years ago but the Raiden package tryong to 1cc each game got me in deep.

I'm not incredible but thanks for the art books being offered, i'll throw me scores at the list. I prefer slash much much more than the other modes anyway. :)

SOME-MIST

I have the milestone collection #2, but I haven't thrown it in my Wii yet (it's actually pretty easy to play region-locked titles on your Wii btw). I remember chaos field being a lot of fun on dreamcast (the game is basically a giant boss rush mode, and I've had a lot of fun with radirgy noa massive on 360 (the game gets pretty hard near the end).. but I haven't had much experience with the other titles.

I love the quirky art style tho.

Galang

Banned
Kind of off-topic, but I really like the art and I couldn't find any information through searching. Could anyone tell me the artist? And if so, do they have a purchasable art book for Akai Katana/artists other work? Would appreciate any help.

Kind of off-topic, but I really like the art and I couldn't find any information through searching. Could anyone tell me the artist? And if so, do they have a purchasable art book for Akai Katana/artists other work? Would appreciate any help.

On the artbook part of the question - one exists, but the Cave Shop has closed and the only way to purchase it new is to do so in person in some store in Akihabara (which houses the remaining stock from the Cave Shop, with no replenishment of any inventory expected). There's also one copy on the Amazon.co.jp marketplace at the moment, but most sellers on Amazon.co.jp do not ship internationally.

Alternatively, adversesolutions is currently running a contest with two artbooks among the prizes.

Galang

Banned
On the artbook part of the question - one exists, but the Cave Shop has closed and the only way to purchase it new is to do so in person in some store in Akihabara (which houses the remaining stock from the Cave Shop, with no replenishment of any inventory expected). There's also one copy on the Amazon.co.jp marketplace at the moment, but most sellers on Amazon.co.jp do not ship internationally.

Alternatively, adversesolutions is currently running a contest with two artbooks among the prizes.

Thanks so much! :) I will keep an eye out for one on ebay, unfortunately can't participate in the contest at the moment.

Thanks so much! :) I will keep an eye out for one on ebay, unfortunately can't participate in the contest at the moment.

I think a better bet would be trying to get adverse to buy another copy for you, or going to one of the usual guys who do this sort of thing at the Shmups forum, like GaijinPunch or rancor. This is only going to get harder with time.

Jeff-DSA

Just wanted to chime in as I had E3 get in my way for a bit.

This game rocks! I love the rhythm of the game with the way you store/spend energy. I don't know what IGN was smoking when they said it was difficult to understand. Anybody who watched the tutorial should have been able to get a grasp of things easily.

But yeah, great game and I'm extremely happy that it made it to North America.

shaowebb

Just wanted to chime in as I had E3 get in my way for a bit.

This game rocks! I love the rhythm of the game with the way you store/spend energy. I don't know what IGN was smoking when they said it was difficult to understand. Anybody who watched the tutorial should have been able to get a grasp of things easily.

But yeah, great game and I'm extremely happy that it made it to North America.

Wait...what tutorial?

shaowebb

Press B at the title screen for any mode. :)

Oh for the love of...!?

*sigh*

Well, figured out my problem. I knew how to generate swords by shooting and getting steel in phantom mode. I knew how to generate meter for phantom mode by holding down shoot in fighter mode. I never knew that by tapping I generated steel orbs AND FILLED A GAUGE FOR PHANTOM MODE KATANA GENERATION!

Tapped, filled gauge and when it flashed went back to phantom mode to suddenly see a ring of floaty steel orby goodness that I could shoot into the crowds to nigh instantly generate a buttload of katanas with. Immediately switch back, shoot the swords at the appropriate angle and flew up the sword trail safely to get point blank as it flew to shoot more and get more stuff (maybe. Couldn't tell if it netted stuff in addition to the gold or not with all that out there).

My score went up massively and it got way easier to survive. It was taking me forever to generate katanas before but now I hold in fighter for meter and tap for orbs. It no longer requires as much meter for me to pull anything off in phantom mode now as the steel orb shot generates katanas nearly instantly each time so I can pop in and out of modes quickly now.

I'm one of those that needs shown and can't get it from the booklet it seems.

1. Hold down attack in fighter to generate meter for more time in phantom
  2. tap attack in fighter to generate orbs. Fill up on orbs before changing to phantom. A flash tells you its full
  3. In phantom holding attack generates katanas, but having the orb meter full to shoot means you immediately wipe the screen and generate a full deck of katanas.
  4. Transfer back to ship mode and fire katanas for big money scores.

Yeah theres all the stuff about planting your satellite on top of enemies for more meter filling and stuff on firing at point blank as well so playing ballsy is bigtime too for score attack, but till you memorize the stages (which I haven't) stick to the above list.

God it fills good to finally click with this game. Its now making me feel that Espgaluda money train vibe I get from the videos. Soooo much money hunger from me now.

Zeth

You can also use the bullet reflecting mechanic to position bullets in a way that they're readily available to drag your Energy over immediately after coming out of Ninja mode to grow more energy and go right back into Ninja. If you watch some of the superplay videos, like iconoclasts, you can see how it's possible to get into that groove and do that method over and over through every stage. That's really the biggest thing to learn for scoring. I'm working on this game too, and it's super hard IMO, but still easier than Espgaluda II, which I've yet to crack.

shaowebb

You can also use the bullet reflecting mechanic to position bullets in a way that they're readily available to drag your Energy over immediately after coming out of Ninja mode to grow more energy and go right back into Ninja. If you watch some of the superplay videos, like iconoclasts, you can see how it's possible to get into that groove and do that method over and over through every stage. That's really the biggest thing to learn for scoring. I'm working on this game too, and it's super hard IMO, but still easier than Espgaluda II, which I've yet to crack.

In the trailer I see someone with all the gold circling them but not being absorbed. Do you do this by killing things with Katanas then popping back to phantom mode where you can't absorb them so that they hover around you and grow bigger or something? If so this mode flipping sequence just got another element to it. "do I go in with the katanas and tap shoot to start generating the next wave of steel orbs to repeat the cycle or do I pop back to phantom mode once the money appears to grow it and risk getting in deep?"

Game is good.

In the trailer I see someone with all the gold circling them but not being absorbed. Do you do this by killing things with Katanas then popping back to phantom mode where you can't absorb them so that they hover around you and grow bigger or something?

Nah you're probably just looking at footage from Origin or Climax mode.

shaowebb

Nah you're probably just looking at footage from Origin or Climax mode.

I haven't even tried those modes yet. Too busy getting into it on Slash. Game has a ton to offer in that mode alone. Looks like I got plenty to keep me interested even if I get tired of grinding points in slash. Why did it take me so long to get into Cave shmups?

shaowebb

Nice wallpapers. I haven't played as much since college started kicking in heavily on my CG stuff. I got a day off though so I'll likely be score grinding some tomorrow. Any idea who is in the lead right now on that artbook?

vall03

Id like to ask, is anyone else having trouble about achievements not unlocking? I mean today I played Type-3 and finished Slash Mode and I didn't get three achievements. "Beat the game with Type-3", "Beat Nazuna" and "Get 3000 Hits in Slash Mode". Is this a bug or is it just me? Continues are allowed right?

Id like to ask, is anyone else having trouble about achievements not unlocking? I mean today I played Type-3 and finished Slash Mode and I didn't get three achievements. "Beat the game with Type-3", "Beat Nazuna" and "Get 3000 Hits in Slash Mode". Is this a bug or is it just me? Continues are allowed right?

Can't really say I know the conditions for these specific achievements, but did you change any of the game settings? You are normally blocked from earning any achievements if you're not running at the defaults (difficulty, lives, etc).

vall03

Can't really say I know the conditions for these specific achievements, but did you change any of the game settings? You are normally blocked from earning any achievements if you're not running at the defaults (difficulty, lives, etc).

If I remember correctly I changed the number of lives at the start before playing any game. I started at Origin Mode first and I was able to unlock achievements normally. I can't remember what settings I changed again, but theres no prompt like from Deathsmiles or DDPR that changing the settings won't unlock achievements so I just continued. Finished another game of Origin mode and the achievement didn't unlock either. Well, I'll try to set it to default again. Im still trying to practice and they're just achievements anyway, so I dont mind.

vall03

I just reset my settings to default and Im clearly meeting the conditions for the achievements but they're really not unlocking, any other possible problems?

vall03

Are you in Novice mode?

nope, and in my latest playthrough I just unlocked one. The one wherein you have to keep 800+ bullets on screen while in Phantom mode. This is really weird when the simple ones aren't unlocking, but Im enjoying the hell out of all these games Ive been playing and just trying to get the feel on the mechanics of the game.

Hi folks, due to a lack of participation in the art book contest I'd like to award one of the art books to Iconoclast, given that two weeks ago he achieved the #1 score for Climax/Zetsu on the Japanese leaderboards which is an amazing accomplishment and a milestone for western players. BUT if anyone has secretly been working on a Slash score for months and has an objection, let me know this week.

I will however leave the Origin contest open!

(ii) First person to break 200million in Origin mode.

So whenever you get there, let me know ;D

shaowebb

Hi folks, due to a lack of participation in the art book contest I'd like to award one of the art books to Iconoclast, given that two weeks ago he achieved the #1 score for Climax/Zetsu on the Japanese leaderboards which is an amazing accomplishment and a milestone for western players. BUT if anyone has secretly been working on a Slash score for months and has an objection, let me know this week.

I will however leave the Origin contest open!

(ii) First person to break 200million in Origin mode.

So whenever you get there, let me know ;D

Sigh...I don't have xbox live anymore. I killed it in preparation for moving to work at a studio soon as I graduate with a BA in Animation in the next several weeks. No time to grind this out either. Final reel is a ton of work and so is networking for these possible positions within studios.

Oh well, I'm out of the running but likely into the game industry so I can't be sad here. Still such a cool contest and fun to work at though. Congrats to Iconoclast and to whomever gets that 200 million!

danmaku

holy shit, why no one posted it in the Cave thread? this is an amazing achievement, must be the first time a western player grabs the world record in a shmup (at least with recent games).

Riposte

holy shit, why no one posted it in the Cave thread? this is an amazing achievement, must be the first time a western player grabs the world record in a shmup (at least with recent games).

I haven't seen Icono post lately. He is probably the most skilled player on GAF, generally speaking.

Haha, thanks guys, but it's not a particularly great score imo. I don't think the experts from the arcade version (PHA, AKF, 太菱, LON, and probably some others) played Zetsu at all, so the competition wasn't all that fierce (mgp sg is pretty awesome though, so I'm glad I beat him). Besides, chrono still has the 'overall' Zetsu WR with 2 billion - I only have the top score with Yaezakura (1.58b).

I uploaded my run to youtube if anyone wants to check it out though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcSE8mc1trE

And I uploaded a 424 million run in Arcade/Origin mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYVP_oxtUc

Might be useful if you want to grab the other art book!

Wonko_C

Wait a second. Has Akai Katana been on Games on Demand all this time and I was thinking the only way to get it was to buy it on disc? (which I couldn't find anywhere)

Shiiiiiieeeet I shouldn't have bought that Max Payne 3/GTAIV Episodes bundle :(

Top Bottom