• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana |OT| Experience the Other Kind of Hell on May 15th

SHIPPED.gif

body is ready, etc. etc.

danmaku

My playthroughs:

Original: 30 minutes
Shin: 33 minutes

As far as single loop games go, it's a pretty average length - a bit closer to the long side than the short side I think.

I think the difference lies in the stages' length. The first stage is very short, the second is longer than the first and the third is longer than the second. It's a bit confusing, usually those games have stages of even length, but not here.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Very nice difficulty balance in this game... I was worried with games like Daioujou and ESPGaluda II, Cave was going overboard with the challenge. But Akai Katana ramps up pretty nicely and only gets really challenging in the 6th stage (and final boss)... I'm not that great at Cave shooters but I love the gameplay, so I totally appreciate this.

Love the music in the game, my only real complaint is I wish the first stage was longer so I can hear more of that music!

LiK

My playthroughs:

Original: 30 minutes
Shin: 33 minutes

As far as single loop games go, it's a pretty average length - a bit closer to the long side than the short side I think.

really? seems short. I think Espgaluda 2 and Mushihime Futari were like 1 hour each.

really? seems short. I think Espgaluda 2 and Mushihime Futari were like 1 hour each.

Those are both around 30 mins. The longest Cave games are the two loop shooters like Ketsui and Daioujou which can take up to 45-50 mins assuming you're good enough to survive both loops.

Those are both around 30 mins. The longest Cave games are the two loop shooters like Ketsui and Daioujou which can take up to 45-50 mins assuming you're good enough to survive both loops.

When playing the extra stages in Deathsmiles Black Label, it gets quite long too. At least for a one loop game.
Seems like Akai Katana's length is pretty average for a Cave shooter.

gunstarhero

Is this game anything like Deathsmiles? Probably my favorite Cave game.

A little more scoring technique is involved in AK - but aside from that, yes it's similar. If you love DS, you'll most likely love this as well.

Plus, it's more manly. Because it has tanks. :)

BOTEC

I was about to order this from Newegg, but then a thought popped into my head. Is this disc NTSC-U/C region locked? Rising Star's DDP Resurrection was not playable on NTSC-J units. Can anyone out there test the US disc on a J-360?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was about to order this from Newegg, but then a thought popped into my head. Is this disc NTSC-U/C region locked? Rising Star's DDP Resurrection was not playable on NTSC-J units. Can anyone out there test the US disc on a J-360?

I've been hearing that neither the US version nor the European one will work on a Japanese 360.

Yes Boss!

I'm less positive on that one, but I seem to recall hearing that the EU version of the game would not work on US systems.

Makes sense since Rising Star is releasing it in both territories.

I'll still get the EU version for the collection, but no way am I ever getting a PAL 360.

Quixzlizx

I wanted to order it on Newegg this morning because Amazon charges tax in my state and I had a Newegg gc, but it was already out of order ffffffffffff. Did they get 10 copies?

Daigoro

looks like about 5 gamestops within a 5 mile radius from me have at least one copy available.

im going on the hunt tomorrow.

Strange question:
Does anyone know if the US release is region free?

I live in South East Asia and we get NTSC/J consoles. I'd prefer getting the US release of Akai Katana rather than the Japanese one because 1) I don't speak or read Japanese and b) US games are cheaper to import.

EDIT: oops saw an earlier post saying it's not region free. Crap.

Aaron

Strange question:
Does anyone know if the US release is region free?

I live in South East Asia and we get NTSC/J consoles. I'd prefer getting the US release of Akai Katana rather than the Japanese one because 1) I don't speak or read Japanese and b) US games are cheaper to import.
It's region locked. Someone already tested it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I actually find it weird to see an ESRB logo on the Akai Katana box art :p It's only happened once before.

orion434

Played the game yesterday for a good deal of time... still trying to get 9999 Combo... I got close @ 9245 on Stage 5. The scoring system is a bit dangerous, watching the top score on the leaderboard is crazy.

My copy from amazon just arrived and not a moment too late. The wife is knee deep into Diablo 3 at the moment, so this is my chance to check it out before I end up crawling back to D3.

Props to Rising Star for bringing this to the west and also for that delicious full color manual.

ghibli99

My copy from amazon just arrived and not a moment too late. The wife is knee deep into Diablo 3 at the moment, so this is my chance to check it out before I end up crawling back to D3.

Props to Rising Star for bringing this to the west and also for that delicious full color manual.
Very nice! Always appreciate this, especially nowadays. :)

Daigoro

picked up a copy from GS yesterday. played about 2 hours so far maybe.

its nice so far. still havent really gotten a grasp of things yet though.

Saroyan

My pre-ordered Amazon copy just finally shipped last night, looks like I won't have it until next Monday, and I have Prime too, wtf Amazon.

Yes Boss!

My pre-ordered Amazon copy just finally shipped last night, looks like I won't have it until next Monday, and I have Prime too, wtf Amazon.

Could be worse...I sent mine to the wrong country by accident. Looks like I won't be playing it till August.

And, does anybody know if the achievements stack with the japanese version?

Jucksalbe

Banned
What's with that edit mode for replays? Can you really just continue a normal from whatever place in your replay you want to and it'd still count as a high score? Or is it for local use only?

Riposte

They finally shipped my game. Kind of late...

I forget why I think Daemon Hatfield is a shitty reviewer, but his recent (IGN) review on this game probably doesn't do him any favors. How is Sine Mora? By his account it is better than AK in every way and AK shouldn't cost as much as Skyrim does now, lol.

LiK

I forget why I think Daemon Hatfield is a shitty reviewer, but his recent (IGN) review on this game probably doesn't do him any favors. How is Sine Mora? By his account it is better than AK in every way and AK shouldn't cost as much as Skyrim does now, lol.

really? jesus...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I forget why I think Daemon Hatfield is a shitty reviewer, but his recent (IGN) review on this game probably doesn't do him any favors.

This has to be one of the laziest reviews I've read in a while. He didn't even bother to learn the mechanics behind the game, his efforts stopped at "I looked at the demonstration at the title screen and didn't understand it".

Top Bottom