• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake Trailer is Almost here!!! Let's Get in Here and all wait together!!!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
speculation
Does anyone think it may follow the "hes in a coma or something and its all a dream" archetype?

It sure as hell seems like it.

harSon

Banned
Jtwo said:
speculation
Does anyone think it may follow the "hes in a coma or something and its all a dream" archetype?

Possibly, that would explain the 'Wake up Alan' bit.

Paznos

Jtwo said:
speculation

Yeah I'm thinking the exact same thing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Paznos said:
Yeah I'm thinking the exact same thing.
It's all making sense now.
Remedy has a history of doing weird abstract dream/drug sequences in Max Payne too!

I hope I'm wrong though, I can't say that would be too exciting.. unless it wasn't a plot-twist and was known from the start of the game.

That trailer is definitely interesting but until I see the gameplay and I know when it's coming out I'm not going to hype this up at all.

Uncle

Cirekiller said:
I'm liking the forest atmosphere but is it open world?

Partly at least. Or it was supposed to be in 2006. Now? No idea.

Dug up an old post of mine.

Some tidbits from a finnish gaming mag (quick translations so ask if you don't understand):

- AW had 4 clear goals for the design:
1) Psychological action thriller
2) Introduces light as a part of the new gameplay mechanic
3) A movie like story, set in a big, free roam environment
4) Must score 9+ from reviews

- No set release date. They'll work for as long as they feel they need to. Quality is the highest priority.

- Remedy consists of only 30 people. (They outsource a lot)

- They couldn't find a suitable engine, so they made their own.

- Their SDK are so flexible that they can test all changes on both platforms as soon as they are made.

- They've taken 40 000 pictures for the game in the northwest US. They might take antoher 40 000 before they are done.

- Story is told like a TV-series, where doing missions advances the plot. Some "episodes" end in cliffhangers, others are slower paced and geared towards character development and showing Alan's past. They want to get that "Just one more episode" addiction in the game.

- The script for Max Payne 2 was 650 pages long (with a page for every mintue of action in the game). The script for AW will be multiple times longer.

- The plot in AW is tied to episodes, but the world isn't. You'll be able to wander around Bright Falls freely and without any artificial rush, but the story won't advance if you just roam the forests aimlessly.

- Lots of exploring and talking to other people can reveal surprising secrets.

- A strong light vs dark theme. A setting sun means bad news for mr Wake. At night you have to find shelter or arm yourself. Light is the only weapon against the shadowy figures, since they are invulnerable in the dark. Too bad Alan is allergic to light (?).

- "What is real and what is just Alan's nightmare?"

- Battles will be desgined with "quality over quantity" in mind. They want the battles to feel special and exciting.

- "The furhter the 'first season of Alan Wake' progresses, the longer the night for the writer becomes"

NeXuSDK

Jtwo said:
speculation

I highly doubt it, as it's way too obvious for someone like Remedy to implement it in their story. It would be to take the easy way out and with Alan Wake, there's no doubt that Remedy aren't cutting any corners, especially not concerning the story.

Nolan.

Jtwo said:
speculation

That would be too obvious, at least it would be the obvious thing you'd think starting off. I hope it's not since larry seems to be just as affected as he is. Also the doctor or psychiatrist that he's talking to seems to suggest that he has a bit of a warped sense of reality. Or maybe he just doesn't believe him. I'm hoping that a lot of the things will actually be happening and they explain it somehow. Anyway i'm interested, I love mysteries.

Or it would be slightly funny if he actually does all of this stuff and writes them down after they have occured or something. Personality disorder or something like that. So in reality he probably doesn't even look like the guy you're playing as.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
NeXuSDK said:
I highly doubt it, as it's way too obvious for someone like Remedy to implement it in their story. It would be to take the easy way out and with Alan Wake, there's no doubt that Remedy aren't cutting any corners, especially not concerning the story.
I hope it isn't the case, too.
The only way it wouldn't be lame is if it was revealed in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It sounds and looks very cool. But what makes you think this will be at all comparable with Heavy Rain? Fog?

If this is anything like what you expect from Remedy, I don't think it's going to be much like Indigo Prophecy.

Accident

759_0001.jpg

759_0002.jpg

759_0004.jpg

759_0005.jpg

GreekWolf

Kafel said:
Remedy don't put silly QTEs in this please.
This. QTE heavy games are automatic no-buys for me. It's time to leave Dragon's Lair back in the 80's where it belongs.

Trailer looks really, really good and the Twin Peaks vibe leaves me giddy. However, I'll reserve judgment until I can see some gameplay footage running on a 360. Microsoft certainly needs for this to be a heavy-hitter for next year's lineup.

:lol :lol
My god the game looks better than I ever dreamed!
Please let the 360 version look this good pleeeeeassse Its so beautiful.
This just made my day!

AmMortal

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
:lol :lol
My god the game looks better than I ever dreamed!
Please let the 360 version look this good pleeeeeassse Its so beautiful.
This just made my day!

Wait, this isn't 360 version ?

:mad:

Don

Those screenshots look really nice. Alan Wake was one of the first games for this gen that I got really hyped for, but its been so long since they first announced it that I started to loose interest. Now that they seem to be building up hype again, I hope they start showing some gameplay footage soon.

-SD-

Banned
solid2snake said:
Alan Wake > Heavy QTE Rain
Where the hell do these comparisons come from? What do those two games have in common? Nothing.

...or is it the lame old "PS3 vs. Xbox 360"?

Uncle

Here's what Remedy has told about the story:

Alan Wake is a horror writer whose fiancé was his muse. Whenever he was with her, sleeping by her side, he dreamed the dark dreams of the demented. Now, while I'd be the kind of guy to dump her and run for the hills, Alan not only was in love, but was profiting off of the dreams. His nightmares because the reality of best selling horror novels. But when his fiancé mysteriously disappeared, never to be heard from again, he stopped dreaming. In fact, he was so crushed by the loss that he stopped sleeping altogether. That can make a guy pretty tired and also pretty loopy.

Before too long, he retreated to the sleepy town of Pride Falls in the state of Washington to check into the sleep clinic outside of town. After curing the problem and getting a little bit of sleep, Alan finds and sleeps with a woman that looks eerily like his missing love. Yes, that's pretty messed up. What's even more messed up is that he immediately starts having the dreams again. The problem is, when he begins writing again, the dreams start seeping into real life.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/616/616169p1.html

The small sound bites from the trailer still fit, so they probably haven't changed it a lot.

-SD- said:
Where the hell do these comparisons come from? What do those two games have in common? Nothing.

...or is it the lame old "PS3 vs. Xbox 360"?

same art-direction and setting? what does Killzone 2 have in common with Halo 3?

and real-time gameplay is better than QTEs, you hear my Heavy Rain?

That looked really, really, really... good.

It looked on a par, graphically, with what we've seen from Heavy Rain. I'm looking forwad to both titles now, and hope that this is the 360 version shown. It probably isn't, but it sure would be nice if the console can put out something which looks that good.

Heavy Rain vs Alan Wake? Both games have a shot at being out in 2009, but I'm going to be pessimistic and say that both will end up coming out in 2010. Read that here first.

Johann

BruceLeeRoy said:
The texture work on Alan is absolutely incredible.
I cant stop looking at his damn jacket.

The first thing I thought was Daniel Day Lewis' coat at the end of There Will Be Blood. The graphics are insane.

-SD-

Banned
solid2snake said:
same art-direction and setting? what does Killzone 2 have in common with Halo 3?

and real-time gameplay is better than QTEs, you hear my Heavy Rain?
/shakes head

Top Bottom