• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello puts dGPU Xbox One rumor to rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

IN&OUT

Banned
Last post? Not even close. Sorry - still many more meme's yet to come.

As was kindly suggested by someone in a PM, it's unlikely anything more I'm going to post on this topic will make it better. People can believe me and trust I'm passing on the right information, or believe I'm spreading FUD and lies.

When I first started coming on, I said what I wanted to do was speak more directly and more honestly with the community, clarifying what we could because you guys have more detailed questions then we had been dealing with.

Regarding the power, I've tried to explain areas that are misunderstood and provide insight from the actual engineers on the system. We are working with the technical folks to get more in-depth. As I said - they are more credible then I am, and can provide a lot more detail. Best I leave it to them.

Next stop - launch itself. Only then, when the games release and developers will inevitably be asked to compare the systems, will we there be a satisfying answer.

Until then, as I have been, I'll try and answer what I can. But I'm not going to add more on this topic.

Fair enough.

Much respect Albert for trying to clarify this. I personally will wait for the games and direct Face-off to satisfy my superiority needs :)

nib95

Banned

I covered this in my post above. They can be added in the sense that you can use both simultaneously, but you are still limited to the ram amounts of the said types. For example, the 8GB of DDR3 will always be limited to 68gb/s even if the Esram has faster bandwidth. The latter Esram only has the bandwidth for use with 32mb, though as stated, it can be used in conjunction with the 8GB of slower DDR3.

Next stop - launch itself. Only then, when the games release and developers will inevitably be asked to compare the systems, will we there be a satisfying answer.

Okay so flat out: What have you been hearing from devs regarding performance differences? No numbers. No math. Just info straight from the sources that matter.

Because from literally every development source that's come forward, all we've heard is that PS4 is the more capable machine. Every third party kiosk at every trade show that I've seen, heard about, or read about has been displaying their multiplatform games on PC or PS4 machines/kits. That, in and of itself, seems far more telling than any numbers anyone wants to toss out there.

Is there a reason for this that isn't the obvious "PS4 is more capable"?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
How is it worrisome? He isn't as technically inclined which he mentions. He posted was he was told by the engineer what he told us. Until they do a full breakdown, which I can't see coming until closer to launch because of the FCC confidentiality letter that is in effect until November 21st, we probably won't know how it all works.

It's worrisome that when we have actual concerns, and almost no one is being aggressive, he suddenly says that we're not going to be convinced as if we had been telling him we didn't believe him just because.

We instead brought up actual doubts on his points, and his only answer is that he won't comment on anything else on the topic. How do you think that reflects on his previous posts?

statham

As was kindly suggested by someone in a PM, it's unlikely anything more I'm going to post on this topic will make it better. People can believe me and trust I'm passing on the right information, or believe I'm spreading FUD and lies.

When I first started coming on, I said what I wanted to do was speak more directly and more honestly with the community, clarifying what we could because you guys have more detailed questions then we had been dealing with.

Regarding the power, I've tried to explain areas that are misunderstood and provide insight from the actual engineers on the system. We are working with the technical folks to get more in-depth. As I said - they are more credible then I am, and can provide a lot more detail. Best I leave it to them.

Until then, as I have been, I'll try and answer what I can. But I'm not going to add more on this topic.
Your not going to change peoples views now without product. Let the games show how comparable they are. If your numbers are correct, people won't believe until they see it themselves. BTW is it true BF4 is more polished on XB1?

i know a wizard..
Thanks for being part of the discussion as someone from MS, in all seriousness, that's rare.

At the same time its rare because this is a perfect example of why your type is usually on a shorter PR leash. If you can't state facts, but only this I work for the company and know a guy, well then, maybe it's better you didn't say anything. I really question the integrity of these types of posts and the company you speak for (whether "the things I post do not represent my company" or not). I wonder how much more harm you're doing than any good. I don't think you understand your audience on top of all of that.

It sucks. I would like if people in the know could post more, but I guess it should be all or nothing. Or CBOAT.

The problem is that you aren't explaining much of anything. And if MS has any interest in a technical discussion they wouldn't have you playing broken phone with a Technical fellow. Essentially you don't allow much of a back and forth at all, therefore controlling the discussion as you see fit.

And then the real problem is when you spend most of your time dancing around intent and messaging, and nobody actually cares about that. This whole close to the fan is straight from the text book, but aside from getting cheered by the odd couple of posters, all you're doing is raising more questions and not actually answering them. We don't care about the company line, we simply want to know the actual details.

TheSoviet

Neo Member
So, here are couple of points about some of the individual parts for people to consider:

• 18 CU's vs. 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.
• Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.
• We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.
• We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.
• We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.
• Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU.

Hopefully with some of those more specific points people will understand where we have reduced bottlenecks in the system. I'm sure this will get debated endlessly but at least you can see I'm backing up my points.

Aww mun,,,

I wish I could technical fellow for more rocket scientist water cooler stuff flippin switches. :3

But yeah the bandwidth thing doesn't sound legit. And what use is 32mb of cache for non gaming use like watching tv and observing fine advertisement?

Do tell.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
ilERlIuaHoeTm.gif

Damn. And we are done here.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Your not going to change peoples views now without product. Let the games show how comparable they are. If your numbers are correct, people won't believe until they see it themselves. BTW is it true BF4 is more polished on XB1?

His numbers don't make sense, that's why we were arguing with him.

The math on the numbers he provided us contradicts each other.

beast786

Your not going to change peoples views now without product. Let the games show how comparable they are. If your numbers are correct, people won't believe until they see it themselves. BTW is it true BF4 is more polished on XB1?[/QUOTE]

If true, why only ps4 version have been shown?

rjinaz

When the mass gaming press are leading most people to believe that the two systems are identical in power, they have absolutely no reason to concede to the PS4 being more powerful. They aren't going to risk that kind of admission going viral and further lowering interest in their console just to appease GAF.

Well perhaps an even better strategy would be to not comment on graphics at all. Say "let the games speak for themselves and that they are confident in their machine" and instead focus on the others things.

There honestly is more to gaming than graphics. I think most gamers believe this and will move on from graphic obsession once the launch passes. Until then I would be mum on graphics if I were Microsoft.

Im more eager to see Microsoft downplay Sony's VR device by comparing it to some lameass Google Glass ripoff (Fortaleza)

That will be a more interesting battle than the spec war.

nib95

Banned
I think those expecting big differences at launch are going to be disappointed personally. At launch devs are never climatised to the new hardware, and add to that we don't know how the development schedule and resources were shared among the different platforms, which is doubly important so early on.

Those judging either console's final potential off the launch games are also absolutely fooling themselves. Just as a quick reminder...

Launch games versus later cycle games.
_____

PS2 launch games.

shinridge_screen078.jpg

08-181087_640w.jpg

PS2 later cycle games.

aMbj2V.jpg

xMJeFQ.jpg

_____

360 launch games

call-of-duty-2-20050930093925747-1262622.jpg

kameo-elements-of-power-20050915004502950.jpg

360 later cycle games

halo-4-screenshots-17.jpg

3.bmp.jpg

_____

PS3 launch games

ResistanceFallOfMan01.jpg

932650_20061117_screen017.jpg

PS3 later cycle games

KZ3b.jpg

GOW3b.jpg

Klocker

Thanks for being part of the discussion as someone from MS, in all seriousness, that's rare.

At the same time its rare because this is a perfect example of why your type is usually on a shorter PR leash. If you can't state facts, but only this I work for the company and know a guy, well then, maybe it's better you didn't say anything. I really question the integrity of these types of posts and the company you speak for (whether "the things I post do not represent my company" or not). I wonder how much more harm you're doing than any good.

It sucks. I would like if people in the know could post more, but I guess it should be all or nothing. Or CBOAT.

Well it's highly doubtful that a guy like spdif pointed out "Senior Technical Fellow at MS" would want to slum with us to try and spend his time addressing some of the nonsense.

Again not the guy Albert referenced but an example of the expertise we are discussing

hawk2025

It is literally impossible for all of his numbers to be correct, because mathematically they contradict each other, as per bullet points 1 and 2.

Everything else I defer to people that have more technical knowledge than I do -- but that alone raised a giant red flag for me, personally.

jaaz

So wait, in the end, Albert's posts on this topic appear to have been just more MS PR? GAF > FUD yet again.

I am convinced that there was a high level meeting shortly after MS' Xbone reveal, in the midst of all of the backlash, where MS decided to launch the one of their biggest PR campaigns to fix the damage that had been done. That campaign clearly included social media and its likely both Nelson and Albert and their comments here are part of that campaign. Sorry, but I don't buy them all of a sudden wanting to join GAF.

And if all of this true, I certainly do not blame them, they work for MS and that's their job. What bothers me is the disingenuous attitude sometimes displayed: "We're her to clarify some misconceptions about the Xbone" then spread FUD. They are much better off admitting the power advantage of the PS4, but making the case that the Xbone's exclusives are better, which is not something PS4's power can address, etc.

Bsigg12

It's worrisome that when we have actual concerns, and almost no one is being aggressive, he suddenly says that we're not going to be convinced as if we had been telling him we didn't believe him just because.

We instead brought up actual doubts on his points, and his only answer is that he won't comment on anything else on the topic. How do you think that reflects on his previous posts?

He's just relaying info. I don't see what's so hard about understanding that. He's not replying to the technical talk because he's not versed in it, just only the questions he went over with the Fellow. If he were an engineer I would be looking at this differently, but he's not.

B_Boss

I'm very disappointed in this magic math right there. I hope the upcoming post by your graphics people is a bit more honest with the real world numbers.
(I don't think saying "on paper" is a get-out-of-jail-free card.)

2fgm60w.gif

At least there is a disclaimer:
...we're working with our most senior graphics and silicon engineers to get into more depth on this topic. They will be more credible then I am...
Which works for understanding the XB1 but as for understanding the PS4 well enough to give such concrete (and seemingly odd math) is dubious at best.

hawk2025

By the way, I think saying the truth will come out based on launch titles is incredibly disingenuous.

For one, they will both be brand new systems with software that's incredibly time-constrained.

I can already see the threads and posts saying "MS was right all along" once a few third party games run very similarly on both machines, but that will mean very little, if anything at all.

This is a long run question -- and it's precisely why people are asking for more details and clarifications on the contradictions, so we can have a better picture of the long run.

I see my statements the other day caused more of a stir than I had intended. I saw threads locking down as fast as they pop up, so I apologize for the delayed response.

I was hoping my comments would lead the discussion to be more about the games (and the fact that games on both systems look great) as a sign of my point about performance, but unfortunately I saw more discussion of my credibility.

So I thought I would add more detail to what I said the other day, that perhaps people can debate those individual merits instead of making personal attacks. This should hopefully dismiss the notion I'm simply creating FUD or spin.

I do want to be super clear: I'm not disparaging Sony. I'm not trying to diminish them, or their launch or what they have said. But I do need to draw comparisons since I am trying to explain that the way people are calculating the differences between the two machines isn't completely accurate. I think I've been upfront I have nothing but respect for those guys, but I'm not a fan of the mis-information about our performance.

So, here are couple of points about some of the individual parts for people to consider:

• 18 CU's vs. 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.
• Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.
• We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.
• We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.
• We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.
• Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU.

Hopefully with some of those more specific points people will understand where we have reduced bottlenecks in the system. I'm sure this will get debated endlessly but at least you can see I'm backing up my points.

I still I believe that we get little credit for the fact that, as a SW company, the people designing our system are some of the smartest graphics engineers around – they understand how to architect and balance a system for graphics performance. Each company has their strengths, and I feel that our strength is overlooked when evaluating both boxes.

Given this continued belief of a significant gap, we're working with our most senior graphics and silicon engineers to get into more depth on this topic. They will be more credible then I am, and can talk in detail about some of the benchmarking we've done and how we balanced our system.

Thanks again for letting my participate. Hope this gives people more background on my claims.

Your comments about execution resources simply isn't true. Even with 250W monster GPUs, you can see 100% SLI/Crossfire scaling in real world scenarios (game benchmarks). That's because graphics workloads by their nature are EXTREMELY highly parallel. You're obfuscating if you say otherwise.

chadskin

Albert, I understand you're not an expert on the X1's hardware, so trying to argue against a whole forum with experts on the subject is suicidal. If you're gonna say that there is not point arguing because you say so, the least you could do is accept an AMA, just take a list of questions, give them to your tech guy at MS, and come back with the answers, otherwise your reputation in here is pretty much damaged beyond repair, this is NeoGAF afterall.

This.

I respect your involvement with the community here, Albert. It's not working in your favor though when you post a bunch of one-sided/false bullet points and back them up with "I talked to our Technical Fellow, believe him!" when pressed on certain statements.

....otherwise your reputation in here is pretty much damaged beyond repair, this is NeoGAF afterall.
Oh, I wouldn't go that far. I can appreciate how hard it is when you're in a position of having to rely on other someone else's technical information to get a PR message across. He still comes across to me as a sincere guy, just trying to do his job. I much prefer him to Major Nelson, whom is a little too condescending for my taste.

I know PS4 is more powerful, but I do think the XB1 has some advantages in some areas. but overall the PS4 is more powerful, I don't think any regular xbox fan on this site doubts this. It hasn't swayed my purchasing opinion, I'm excited to see what kinect can bring to the table.

Exactly, I think that's the general consensus. The real question is how much this difference really is.

IMO its like GameCube vs Xbox but to an even lesser degree, after all we're talking about two GPUs with the same feature set, not one with compliance closer to DX7 with no programmable shaders vs Xbox fully programmable DX8.1 and significantly bigger memory pool. The system's are closer than most think.

Barzul

So wait, in the end, Albert's posts on this topic appear to have been just more MS PR? GAF > FUD yet again.

I am convinced that there was a high level meeting shortly after MS' Xbone reveal, in the midst of all of the backlash, where MS decided to launch the one of their biggest PR campaigns to fix the damage that had been done. That campaign clearly included social media and its likely both Nelson and Albert and their comments here are part of that campaign. Sorry, but I don't buy them all of a sudden wanting to join GAF.

And if all of this true, I certainly do not blame them, they work for MS and that's their job. What bothers me is the disingenuous attitude sometimes displayed: "We're her to clarify some misconceptions about the Xbone" then spread FUD. They are much better off admitting the power advantage of the PS4, but making the case that the Xbone's exclusives are better, which is not something PS4's power can address, etc.
But Major Nelson never asked to join GAF during this period, he apparently tried a couple of times previously then stopped trying and then Evilore activated his account once he found out this was the case or something like that.

JaggedSac

Your comments about execution resources simply isn't true. Even with 250W monster GPUs, you can see 100% SLI/Crossfire scaling in real world scenarios (game benchmarks). That's because graphics workloads by their nature are EXTREMELY highly parallel. You're obfuscating if you say otherwise.

MS engineers need to go back to school.

shandy706

By the way, I think saying the truth will come out based on launch titles is incredibly disingenuous.

For one, they will both be brand new systems with software that's incredibly time-constrained.

I can already see the threads and posts saying "MS was right all along" once a few third party games run very similarly on both machines, but that will mean very little, if anything at all.

This is a long run question -- and it's precisely why people are asking for more details and clarifications on the contradictions, so we can have a better picture of the long run.

True.

Now imagine if we could force everyone to wait 3-4 years before coming to a conclusion.

LOL

The impatient implode/explode.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Even with what we know, people should not be expecting a ton of difference for cross gen launch titles. I know people will be looking to find victories here and there but you should really wait for games which have had more time to cook under the new HW banners. This is why something like KZ and Order 1866 look quite good but they are a little bit away. We haven't even seen several new games from some of Sony's best teams.

FINALBOSS

Banned
The funniest thing about this entire disaster of a thread? We're literally RIGHT back where we started...with even MORE questions that need answers.

Top notch work MS.

Barzul

I know PS4 is more powerful, but I do think the XB1 has some advantages in some areas. but overall the PS4 is more powerful, I don't think any regular xbox fan on this site doubts this. It hasn't swayed my purchasing opinion, I'm excited to see what kinect can bring to the table.
Exactly only a deluded console warrior would not be able to admit that the PS4 has the better hardware. My only point of contention is how obvious these differences are.

Piggus

Just want to make a post saying this.

GAF I have absolutely no knowledge on specs and stuff, but this post made sense to me, so I believe Albert. :p

I see some GAF users calling Albert out, I'd like to request that anyone who wants to discredit Albert, makes a detailed post doing it, those are easier to understand and make sense of. Hehe.

Seriously, just seeing posts saying he's wrong don't help much. :p

Then mission accomplished! The whole point of posts like that is to take advantage of ignorance.

Also people have explained why it was wrong. Just because something is laid out in an easy to read way doesn't mean it's correct.

chadskin

The funniest thing about this entire disaster of a thread? We're literally RIGHT back where we started...with even MORE questions that need answers.

Top notch work MS.

So true! Alberts statement didn't help at all clarifying WHY exactly the power difference is greatly overstated.

rjinaz

Major Nelson thoughts after skimming this thread: Damn ! Lesson learned !

I believe Albert is a sincere guy. He believes what he says, he believes in his product. He is trying hard to convince us to feel as strongly about it as he does. I just don't think he's going about it the right way. Though to be fair, people are really focused on graphics right now and it keeps getting brought up but I would be more interested in learning about what Xbox One offers that I simply cannot get from a PS4. And no, Kinect doesn't seem to resonate well with this audience either.

hawk2025

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. I can appreciate how hard it is when you're in a position of having to rely on other someone else's technical information to get a PR message across. He still comes across to me as a sincere guy, just trying to do his job. I much prefer him to Major Nelson, whom is a little too condescending for my taste.

Up to earlier today I would completely agree with you.

But when questions about basic algebra are not addressed without an appeal to authority, it becomes much, much harder to claim sincerity. Even as a PR guy, I would have personally checked the list of bullet points for internal consistency before posting it, regardless of technical knowledge.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with respect to technical issues -- I will not do the same for logical ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom