• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony is working on multiple Remakes and Remastereds for 2024 & 2025

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fingers crossed for The Last of Us Part 1: Remastered 🤞

You Got Me GIF by HULU

SNG32

Remakes and Remasters? If that’s the case Sony can get all the fuck outta here with this. Like seriously they gotta play it safe so much this is what they resort too? I would rather sequels than remasters or remakes at this point.

yurinka

And? My point was everyone knows Sony will have more remasters and remakes for the years to come so this is no revelation at all.
True, they'll keep making remasters and remakes. You don't need to be an insider to guess or know that.

It's like saying that they are working on new Gran Turismo, Horizon, TLOU, GoT, Spider-Man etc. games. Or like saying that Nintendo is also making refurbished ports of old games in addition to new Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing games etc. for their next console.

I'd take a remake of the first Syphon Filter. Really want to set someone on fire with a taser in 4k.
Kojima will handle it, but will start after they release Death Stranding 2.

Last edited:
They've constantly been working on various remasters and remakes for the better part of the last decade (even longer than that) so this is hardly a surprise.

That said since we're talking about them, I do want 1) Killzone 2 & 3 remasters and a remake for the first one; 2) Resistance Trilogy Remaster; 3) Infamous 1 & 2 Remasters; 4) MotorStorm: Pacific Rift Remaster; 5) Rain Remaster; :messenger_grinning_sweat:
This. I would love their PS3 series to get some remakes.

I would buy KZ/Resistance/Infamous remakes in a heartbeat.

Killjoy-NL

Helldivers 2 Remastered, PS5 timed-exclusive as the upcoming NPC Helldivers technically make it count as a singleplayer title as well.

We need more PC port-begging.

ProtoByte

Can I interest you in a gex remake/remaster.

/runs and hides.
The remastered trilogy was announced last year right?
I'm not radically and uniformly anti-port/remaster. The Battle Network Collection was a fine idea. But when you're at a point where there's a similar number of remasters and remakes slated as new fucking major games, there's an issue.

PlayStation in particular needs to focus on forging ahead with high-quality sequels and new IP. They've already wasted enough time trying and failing to break into live services with key resources. What is really gained out of remastering yet more shit than has been already?

Users want games with this brutal technical level? OK but it is a minimum of 5-6 years of development, there are no shortcuts and while these games are made at Sony they will make agreements with third parties like FF7 Rebirth, they will work with other studios to release Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, etc. .along with some remasters to have a catalog.

Holammer

There's plenty of PS4 and even PS3 games that would do well with remasters on PS5/PC. It's the closest you get to free money.
Up the framerate, resolution and bob's your uncle. If you are really ambitious, improve particle density, shadow maps, foliage and draw distances.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't understand why Sony is behaving like Nintendo in the Wii U era with this garbage when they have a massively successful console and can sell 10 million copies of a game without breaking a sweat. Actually Wii U Nintendo put out more interesting stuff than remakes and remasters. This behavior is fucking bizarre. The turf wars and disarray at Sony HQ must be crazy.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't understand why Sony is behaving like Nintendo in the Wii U era with this garbage when they have a massively successful console and can sell 10 million copies of a game without breaking a sweat. Actually Wii U Nintendo put out more interesting stuff than remakes and remasters. This behavior is fucking bizarre. The turf wars and disarray at Sony HQ must be crazy.
Because their studios are busy making giant budget games that take 5 years to make. They dont have the time or people to make new IPs. You'll notice all the studios basically conform to one IP, maybe two tops. Even Sony SD just makes baseball when in the past they made different games along with baseball.

So to fill the gaps, either internal or hired gun studios do remakes and remasters because it's 10x easier to touch things up than start from scratch with a new game whose idea started on a napkin. Or they do PC ports which some titles sell great (H2 is the latest one) with just porting costs. The ROI on remakes, remasters and PC must be sky high.

Last edited:

Embearded

No problem with PS3 remakes.
I'd love to replay inFamous and Killzone. But remastering PS4 games is not worth it, unless its some kind of training their junior devs.
I'd much rather have their established teams within their studios working on new stuff.

Jaybe

It would be better to make new versions of some of their dormant IP instead (Jax, Sly, Socom, Ridge Racer, etc… even if they farm out the development work to quality studios)

diffusionx

Gold Member
Because their studios are busy making giant budget games that take 5 years to make. They dont have the time or people to make new IPs. You'll notice all the studios basically conform to one IP, maybe two tops. Even Sony SD just makes baseball when in the past they made different games along with baseball.

So to fill the gaps, either internal or hired gun studios do remakes and remasters because it's 10x easier to touch things up than start from scratch with a new game whose idea started on a napkin.
That's not the full story. Like, TLOU2 came out in 2020. It's 2024. A new game should be getting in the range of announcement from that studio - see Sucker Punch where Ghost of Tsushima 2 is probably going to get announced soon. But ND they spent like 3+ years working on some shitty gaas game that got canceled. Yea, they claimed not too many resources were spent on it, but they were lying. So I think that this major gaashit push devoted a ton of resources, realized it's not working like they wanted, probably buyers remorse over Bungie, and everything is screwed up.

Like, no major games in year 4 of a massively successful console is just bizarre and terrible planning. It is a fire-able offense for Hermann "Horizon" Hulst.

Thank god for Microsoft putting their games on PS5. A refreshing bunch of different quirky games and not the same tired remakes/remasters and cinematic third person bullshit that Sony shits out.

jm89

This is probably part of their more multiplat push.

Let's see if they are dumb enough to follow MS and go day and date.

mystech

Remakes and remasters the theme of the generation! Let’s hope next generation actually brings more… new games and original IPs. After all they can’t remake the remakes… or will they…?

Oh what a surprise... I imagine they'll be newer games from the previous generation too. I'll wait and see but I'm not holding my breath. Unless the games are called SOCOM, Warhawk, Killzone, Wipeout, Twisted Metal or Destruction Derby, I don't give a shit.

Calverz

"However, 2025 is shaping up to be a significant year for the brand."

This reads like copium from a fanboy tbh.

digdug2

I wish that they'd remaster InFamous and InFamous 2. They were lots of fun and would still be highly enjoyable today.

mortal

Gold Member
All I ever wanted was a Bloodborne remaster, but fuck it I'll take a remake at this point.
So long as it comes with solid performance mode options that is.

Z O N E

If it's Socom, sure.
If it's Bloodborne, sure.

If it's any other game that came out in the last 500 years, fuck off.

This generation is so bad. I feel bad for those who can only have 1 system and have to make do.

Perrott

Gold Member
"However, 2025 is shaping up to be a significant year for the brand."

This reads like copium from a fanboy tbh.
Not really, it's actually the most logical expectation:
  • Death Stranding 2 is launching in 2025.
  • Fairgame$ and Marathon are expected and reported to be coming next year.
  • Marvel's Venom is slated for September 2025, per the Insomniac leak.
  • The sequel to Ghost of Tsushima might as well be aiming for a late 2025 release, looking at how long first-party AAA sequels have taken to come out this generation (HFW 5yrs; SM2 5yrs; GOWR 4.5yrs).
  • Firesprite's dark narrative adventure game, pretty much guaranteed to be an Until Dawn sequel, might also be ready, as it begun development in 2020.
  • New IPs from Santa Monica Studio and FromSoftware might also be on the table for a release very late in the year, as they're both pre-pandemic projects.

Z O N E

Users want games with this brutal technical level? OK but it is a minimum of 5-6 years of development, there are no shortcuts and while these games are made at Sony they will make agreements with third parties like FF7 Rebirth, they will work with other studios to release Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, etc. .along with some remasters to have a catalog.

That's why we need to embrace AI in game development when it's fully implemented.

Games taking 5-6 years to develop only to still come out buggy. Costing an arm and a leg. If the game flops the studios suffer to the point of closure.

AI is needed in development and needed quick.

Yeah, you'll get those who complain about AI and how it's "taking away jobs" but realistically, we'll need AI to help drive cost down and speed up development.

hlm666

The remastered trilogy was announced last year right?
I'm not radically and uniformly anti-port/remaster. The Battle Network Collection was a fine idea. But when you're at a point where there's a similar number of remasters and remakes slated as new fucking major games, there's an issue.

PlayStation in particular needs to focus on forging ahead with high-quality sequels and new IP. They've already wasted enough time trying and failing to break into live services with key resources. What is really gained out of remastering yet more shit than has been already?
I was just being a smartass, not huge fan of remasters/remakes myself either and I didn't know about those remasters /sigh so that ended with egg on my face ;)

Slimboy Fat

TLOU2 certainly needs a remake as in they need to remake the entire storyline, all characters and the gameplay for good measure. From the bottom up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom