• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Hutchinson on Farcry 4: Guy on box is not white, not the playable character

GavinUK86

It doesn't matter if you're black or white...

Michael-Jackson-in-Black.jpeg

or asian.

I thought the blonde guy was some sort of flamboyant badass Dutch dude based on his fivehead, eyes and cheekbones. I don't however see the racism, like at all?

Are people angry that the villain is white and arguing that white people are always the badguys and it is racist to believe that only white people are evil?
Or are people just mad that he is white, as if to say white people simply existing are offensive?

Ramenman

Who in their right mind would think he was the player character.

Seriously, people will just jump at anything that can give them material for a scandal article.

I'm going to blow a gasket if I have to climb some sort of tower or tall building to reveal more of the map

I'm not.

Kru

I'm guessing the "Video games causes violence" bandwagon has ran out of steam

Now we move onto the "Video games cause racism" bandwagon.

ALL ABOARD!!!

Time for me to get my racism card drawn. Why are all white people in video games, white? and all the black people, black? Racist man, i tell ya

Mugatu

ALL ABOARD!!!

Time for me to get my racism card drawn. Why are all white people in video games, white? and all the black people, black? Racist man, i tell ya

These have nothing to do with each other - the people complaining seemed to be gamers.

ALL ABOARD!!!

I am so tired of the blatant racism in the videogame industry towing the white privilege line, I would support an initiative to ban white characters in games completely. The only way we can truly fight racism and support real positive change would be to get rid of all white characters.

I am so tired of the blatant racism in the videogame industry towing the white privilege line, I would support an initiative to ban white characters in games completely. The only way we can truly fight racism and support real positive change would be to get rid of all white characters.

Make all *villians* white and straight. All hero characters shall be black and gay. Problems solved!

Sai-kun

Banned
Weren't there threads calling out for more homosexual game characters? If anyone has a problem with a villain being gay, or think that's homophobic, I just give up. There is literally no pleasing the PC brigade.

Personally I'd prefer more queer main/playable characters over queer villains. If the villain actually is queer, I hope it's done well.

Kinyou

Weren't there threads calling out for more homosexual game characters? If anyone has a problem with a villain being gay, or think that's homophobic, I just give up. There is literally no pleasing the PC brigade.
The "evil gay guy" who threatens the hero with his sexuality is actually a trope, and a bit unflattering I guess.

Make all *villians* white and straight. All hero characters shall be black and gay. Problems solved!
No but then you still have to see offensive white people. I am tired of "the white bad guys lording over minorities" agenda in videogames. The only real way to fight true racism would be to eliminate white people.

I'm going to blow a gasket if I have to climb some sort of tower or tall building to reveal more of the map

Need a timer to come with that? Saying that feature won't appear at Ubisoft's open world games is like saying there won't be selling fries at McDonald's.

it's hilarious how the people crying "racism" about this just saw skin color and not the finer details

sounds pretty racist to me, guys

Honey Bunny

No but then you still have to see offensive white people. I am tired of "the white bad guys lording over minorities" agenda in videogames. The only real way to fight true racism would be to eliminate white people.
The only way to save video games is to ban them altogether. Then this problem will go away.

Brofield

I always loved that gif. Takes me back to my first E3 with GAF.

I never understood the racism controversy, though. I assumed he was white, not the playable character, and villains never always struck me as the type to be compassionate people regardless of race/gender. Though I guess I was in the minority for that one.

The politically correct police have really lost me. At this point can I move on and just assume that everything is homophobic/racist/sexist/xenophobic/transphobic and some privileged/racist/sexist/homophobic white man is to blame?

Raven77

it's hilarious how the people crying "racism" about this just saw skin color and not the finer details

sounds pretty racist to me, guys

You're exactly right. Racism goes both ways. I don't understand why this is even an issue? What exactly does it matter if the guy in the throne was "white"? Are games not allowed to show someone of one race oppressing someone else, who just so happens to be of another race?

How do you know that the guy in the throne is "evil" or the bad guy? Maybe the guy kneeling in front of him killed the guy in the thrones family, so he found the killer and captured him and is waiting to turn him in to the authorities.

You literally have no context whatsoever to judge anyone in that image.

Thorakai

You know, just because one thread took a turn for the crazy doesn't mean all discussions of race and racism in video games are invalidated.

What kills me is we had a thread a few months ago where people were calling people out as racially stereotyping/being extremely ignorant for thinking Clementine from the Walking Dead looks Asian/had Asian looking features.

Now the reverse has happened, and Alex Hutchinson had to call people out for thinking this box-art was racist imagery of a white guy lording over an Asian guy when they're both actually Asian. Not to mention last week's GAF thread about it that I won't get into.

I don't blame anyone who only took a 3 second glance at the boxart for assuming the guy is white - I made that assumption too before giving it a second look - but hopefully this makes some of those people who were wrong think twice before calling other people ignorant/stupid when it comes to similar situations in the future.

who was looking at the cover of Far Cry 4 and thinking it was racist and homophobic? it is keeping in them with Far Cry 3's cover art. ill admit that Far Cry 3 had a very cringe worthy plot and used terrible tropes but nonetheless Far Cry 4 is it's own game so it should be evaluated on what it is doing, not what Far Cry 3 did.
both games have the exact same theme on the cover. why was there no outrage with Far Cry 3's cover art?
20121126175122!Far_Cry_3_PAL_box_art.jpg
far-cry-4.jpg

Kinyou

He wasn't arguing that it was original, just that it's not common. Tv tropes job is to catalog, so a list doesn't inform its frequency.
He said he can only think of one example, so I provided some more. Of course is it going to be a bit hard to find a definitive statistic to determine when something is common and when it isn't

RiggyRob

who was looking at the cover of Far Cry 4 and thinking it was racist and homophobic? it is keeping in them with Far Cry 3's cover art. ill admit that Far Cry 3 had a very cringe worthy plot and used terrible tropes but nonetheless Far Cry 4 is it's own game so it should be evaluated on what it is doing, not what Far Cry 3 did.

People jumping to conclusions based on the character's appearance.

Also, I'll bet some people didn't even notice the head in the sand in Far Cry 3's box art.
I know I didn't until just then.

psychotron

People jumping to conclusions based on the character's appearance.

Also, I'll bet some people didn't even notice the head in the sand in Far Cry 3's box art.
I know I didn't until just then.

Holy shit, you're right! lol, I never noticed.

Top Bottom