• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Hutchinson on Farcry 4: Guy on box is not white, not the playable character

Xenon

You know, just because one thread took a turn for the crazy doesn't mean all discussions of race and racism in video games are invalidated.

You know, just because people point out something is not racist doesn't mean they are dismissing all claims of racism and racial issues.

Averon

The whole "controversy" around this was really pathetic and reeked of manufactured for attention.

Ditto.

Context? Waiting to get the whole story beyond a single, innocuous image? Nah. Let's go on Twitter, jump to conclusions, and scream bloody murder. I don't mind talking about social issues in games, but it is clear some of these websites and certain journalists are using the issue for cheap click bait.

You're exactly right. Racism goes both ways. I don't understand why this is even an issue? What exactly does it matter if the guy in the throne was "white"? Are games not allowed to show someone of one race oppressing someone else, who just so happens to be of another race?

How do you know that the guy in the throne is "evil" or the bad guy? Maybe the guy kneeling in front of him killed the guy in the thrones family, so he found the killer and captured him and is waiting to turn him in to the authorities.

You literally have no context whatsoever to judge anyone in that image.

OK that's going too far lol. He has the grenade pin on his finger and is making the guy hold the unpinned grenade.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I'm someone very interested in depiction of race, colonialism and subliminal white power but I never saw the problem with the Far Cry 4 cover.

If it WAS a white guy, yeah, I think there would be valid claims to it being a problematic image. But I immediately saw the guy as being East Asian in appearance.

I wish people had taken more time to zoom into his face. I'm more annoyed though that the usual suspects will now use this as ammo for "lol SJWs" and "PC gone too far" against perfectly valid discussion.

RMI

Banned
Guy was OBVIOUSLY not white, as was pointed out by the minority of sane people posting int he previous thread.

all this racism talk has me wondering, has there ever been a hispanic protagonist?

Garcia FUCKING Hotspur

You want to talk about underrepresented or misrepresented ethnic groups in games, Hispanics have it the fucking worst. I was so happy to have a game with this fucking guy in it, even if he was a huge walking cliche. Too bad we'll never see a sequel.

The thing he's sitting on is made of stone.

Just clearing out other stuff, if someone didn't notice.

Also, the Far Cry logo is white while the number 4 is colored in red.

Thorakai

You know, just because people point out something is not racist doesn't mean they are dismissing all claims of racism and racial issues.

I ain't talking about everybody in this thread, but making a general comment on posts like these.

I'm guessing the "Video games causes violence" bandwagon has ran out of steam

Now we move onto the "Video games cause racism" bandwagon.

ALL ABOARD!!!

Time for me to get my racism card drawn. Why are all white people in video games, white? and all the black people, black? Racist man, i tell ya

Hyperbole and strawmen posts. I just didn't want to take the time to highlight them.

AdamMPSP

I think it's interesting how upset people are that others had a reaction this image. The idea that people should hold reactions until they see more of the game kind of misses the point of what a reaction is.

I was disappointed when I saw this art a week or two ago. The way that race, wealth, and privilege were handled in Farcry 3 was the reason I stopped playing Farcry 3, despite the fact that I really enjoyed the game mechanics. Seeing this image of Farcry 4, instead of showing me that they were going in a different direction thematically, showed me that they're going to be dealing with similar themes. I had an immediate gut reaction to the image, not because I found the image itself racist, but because I don't trust these guys to handle issues of class or race and if they're going for rich man holding poor man down--If this is the one image they chose to showcase their game--I fear we're just going to get a repeat of Farcry 3, which again I found offensive on many levels.

Hope I'm wrong, hope this was just a poor image choice, hope the game winds up good, but I'm less hopeful than I was before this image was released.

FarCryU_610b.jpg

Gold.

conman

A non-white, flamboyantly dressed and coiffed would-be ruler (sitting in a pre-modern throne) against the backdrop of one of the most exoticized locales in the Western imagination. What conclusions does he expect us not to jump to? Sometimes game designers can't help but sound like big, ignorant dumbheads.

Derp1na

Banned
A non-white, flamboyantly dressed and coiffed would-be ruler (sitting in a pre-modern throne) against the backdrop of one of the most exoticized locales in the Western imagination. What conclusions does he expect us not to jump to? Sometimes game designers can't help but sound like big, stupid, ignorant dumbheads.

Why are people jumping to conclusions when they've only seen the cover?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A non-white, flamboyantly dressed and coiffed would-be ruler (sitting in a pre-modern throne) against the backdrop of one of the most exoticized locales in the Western imagination. What conclusions does he expect us not to jump to? Sometimes game designers can't help but sound like big, ignorant dumbheads.

And what is that exactly. I warn you to answer carefully. A depiction of racism or imagery of subjugation is not the same as promoting or glorying those ideas. You need a lot more context or a much more blatant message than that.

A concept many seem to have trouble with.

sjay1994

Hey... FarCry 4 is coming

Its set in the Himalayas

This is the villain

We will show more at e3.

conman

Why are people jumping to conclusions when they've only seen the cover?
There are no conclusions to "jump to" since it's pretty plain already. It's an image that trafficks in ridiculously typical stereotypes. I don't see how it can possibly be "misread" or "misconstrued." It already is dripping with historical, cultural, political, racial context. I can't imagine what additional information the game can provide that will change that.

And what is that exactly. I warn you to answer carefully. A depiction of racism or imagery of subjugation is not the same as promoting or glorying those ideas. You need a lot more context or a much more blatant message than that.
There is indeed a big difference (though I'm not sure what it means to "warn me"). Citing or quoting stereotypes doesn't make them politically neutral. Quite the contrary. And the absence of any obvious self-consciousness (or "quotation marks") makes it even worse. Why release this image at all if the game is "intentionally deploying" stereotypes in order to dismantle them? Clearly this was done with no forethought or political awareness.

AdamMPSP

You can make a hispanic hero in modern RPGs, also Cortez and Vega from ME, Shadows of the Damned has featured a hispanic hero.

Whenever someone says you can design a character with a certain race in modern games, it always comes off to me as "you can pretend that other races are represented in your media." Changing the skin tone on a slider is not the same as a character/game/theme being written with your culture in mind.

Omega

Banned
Garcia FUCKING Hotspur

You want to talk about underrepresented or misrepresented ethnic groups in games, Hispanics have it the fucking worst. I was so happy to have a game with this fucking guy in it, even if he was a huge walking cliche. Too bad we'll never see a sequel.

I forgot about that. Yep, walking cliche but I liked the game, and the character.

Dom from Gears of War was space-Hispanic.

^^ Dom was a piece of shit though. Vaguely better than Rico from Killzone.

Oh god. So with these two clowns and Garcia, it's pretty evident no one knows how to make a competent Hispanic protag.

You can make a hispanic hero in modern RPGs, also Cortez and Vega from ME, Shadows of the Damned has featured a hispanic hero.

I meant more of a set in stone character. Like San Andreas has Carl, Wolfenstein has BJ, etc.

Vega was the worst, and they couldn't even bother to get a hispanic person to voice him.

Cortez is decent for a hispanic. I guess that's only because they didn't know how to make a stereotypical gay hispanic, so they only went with gay.

No but then you still have to see offensive white people. I am tired of "the white bad guys lording over minorities" agenda in videogames. The only real way to fight true racism would be to eliminate white people.

Not a problem, when white people feel offended we can simply tell them.

-"You're a racist for thinking that's racist!"
-"If we ignore it, it will eventually go away"
-"I don't see race"
-"This isn't racism, it's just someone being ignorant"
-"It's getting better, stop complaining and simply make your own game/movie/TV show"
-"If you don't like it, then you can always move"

ad nauseam.

Protagonist will likely be 99.99% White/Caucasian.

Guy with pink suit is king/dictator/whatever.
Kneeling guy is a captured rebel.

Both characters on box art are not white.

hohoXD123

Tired of these racist games. You know it has gotten ridiculous when the developers even have to highlight their prejudices against white people on twitter.

Protag will probably be black

My gut tells me so

I am shocked!

Name of PC, why you are in Himalayas, and who pinkie is:
You are Ajay Ghale. Traveling to Kyrat to fulfill your mother’s dying wish, you find yourself caught up in a civil war to overthrow the oppressive regime of dictator Pagan Min

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'll tell you why the cover art doesn't make sense because a Gurkha wouldn't let some cunt in a pink suit get him on his knees. He'd stick him with his Kukri or die trying. Gurkhas are badass.

I would seriously love to see Ubisoft have the main character as a Gurkha and it would suit the character using weapons, explosives etc. Just please don't have Troy Baker doing a 'foreign' voice or something along those lines.

Top Bottom