• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Hutchinson on Farcry 4: Guy on box is not white, not the playable character

fred

FarCryU_610b.jpg

Absolutely fantastic lmfao

Crayons

Banned
Just because he's Asian doesn't mean he's not white. Asian people can be white too. You can see on the cover that the Asian man in power has lighter skin than the soldier about to die for him, therefore in this situation the Asian man in power is white and his oppressed soldier is not white. Thus the cover still shows white on nonwhite oppression and Ubisoft should be ashamed of their promotion of racism.

By the way, here's a picture of me cuddling with my boyfriend

lol

93xfan

Banned
If the past 6 months have told me anything it's that being white is probably the worst thing imaginable.

I personally dislike how it's the one race that everyone is allowed generalize about and call ignorant. I don't think people should be generalizing about any race and I don't think my input is less worthy to be heard or more predictable because of the color of my skin.

I hate whites.

Combine that with the fact that the comment below (whether a joke or not) is allowed to exist on this forum. The more people that some of you alienate, the fewer you'll have that are willing to consider your plight.

Kade

I personally dislike how it's the one race that everyone is allowed generalize about and call ignorant. I don't think people should be generalizing about any race and I don't think my input is less worthy to be heard or more predictable because of the color of my skin.

Combine that with the fact that the comment below (whether a joke or not) is allowed to exist on this forum. The more people that some of you alienate, the fewer you'll have that are willing to consider your plight.

"How come they can do bad things and get away with it and we can't?"

93xfan

Banned
"How come they can do bad things and get away with it and we can't?"

Nope. I specifically stated I did not want generalizations for any race. I do not want people to be able to say that they hate any race on these forums.

Why are you trying to put me on the defensive? Did I really need to clarify that I think that's bad to say about any race? Was my original post unclear?

Hyun Sai

This is how you do a covert art and avoid controversy, Alex.

1806563-62004_masseffect2collectorseditionboxart_normal.jpg

Well, I m not so sure now after all those threads... Perhaps people would see some racism / political issues with the white / red of the letters.

njean777

Nope. I specifically stated I did not want generalizations for any race. I do not want people to be able to say that they hate any race on these forums.

Why are you trying to put me on the defensive? Did I really need to clarify that I think that's bad to say about any race? Was my original post unclear?

Nevermind. I do agree though nobody should be saying anything negative about race on any forum or in real life.

213372bu

Banned
Wow did GAF wake up within this past week?

As a non-white person, I'm glad to see the faux outrage of the previous thread has been buried in the sand.

This "controversy" has been one of the greatest examples to show how phoney some people are and their "outrage" is nothing but attention seeking. These threads are a fantastic avenue to highlight the real bigots.

Raonak

Banned
Ajay is an Indian name....

Have we ever had an Indian protagonist in a video game before?

Can't really recall any, which, as an indian I find unfortunate. Actually, one of the reasons why im making a character action indie game with a fictionalised version of myself as the main character :)

RMI

Banned
Dom is infinitely better than rico.

If Rico has any value whatsoever, then you're saying that Dom is the best. If Rico is worthless, then even if Dom is infinitely better than Rico he is still worthless.

In all seriousness, Dom wasn't that bad, I just wasn't a fan of his story in GoW2.

rdrr gnr

RE_Player

Look at all this discussion that has been raised by just a mere picture... Bravo Ubisoft and their marketing team. This game is going to sell millions.

I hate reading essays about context where the author refuses to acknowledge the context of the thing he's attacking. I also hate to read arguments that certain symbols must always be treated with respect in deference to a history of oppression, when demanding symbolic respect is in itself a tool of oppression.

Guess what? The broken Buddha on the cover is a pretty direct reference to the statues blown up by the Taliban in Afghanistan. It is not a symbol of Colonial oppression, it's a reference to intolerant warlords (who weren't white, btw). But it's easy to miss less than subtle details like that when everything about your reading of the image is born from the assumption that it is racist, and everything else is a post-facto justification thereof.

It's the same problem Far Cry 3 had. I don't know what else that game was supposed to do to establish how unlikable, noxious and privileged the rich white kids were in that game. It was an obvious parody, but so many critics in the industry have so little regard for games as a medium that it never occurred to them to consider it was more thoughtful than an offensive endorsement of those characters. And when the obvious satirical elements that permeate the game were pointed out to them, they universally fell back on the limp "bad satire" defense. Obviously the satire that flew over their heads should have just been better. If #CancelColbert taught us anything, it's that no matter how well established and skillful you are as a satirist, someone is willing to overlook that history and context to twist your words and take offense.

Boss Mog

I never for a second thought that guy was white, Yeah his skin is light but the eyes and other facial features are definitely not those of a white guy.

Skin color is a pretty bad indicator of race. I've seen tanned white guys that had darker skin than light skinned black guys. Asians in particular can have really white skin. Like if you only saw this girl's hand you'd probably think she was white:

large.jpg

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Opinions and all, but anyone holding up Far Cry 3 as an example of skillful satire is barking up the wrong tree. That was one of the most ham-fisted storylines I've ever had to slog through, made worse coming from the higher standard set by Far Cry 2. Even Vaas couldn't save that trainwreck. Thankfully the gameplay was up to snuff, but if there was ever a reason to speed through cutscenes, Far Cry 3 is the case study to end them all.

Boss Mog

Opinions and all, but anyone holding up Far Cry 3 as an example of skillful satire is barking up the wrong tree. That was one of the most ham-fisted storylines I've ever had to slog through, made worse coming from the higher standard set by Far Cry 2. Even Vaas couldn't save that trainwreck. Thankfully the gameplay was up to snuff, but if there was ever a reason to speed through cutscenes, Far Cry 3 is the case study to end them all.

Yeah I agree, I really liked the game but only for the gameplay, I kinda tried to put the "story" on the back burner of my mind and not pay much attention to it; it worked out much better that way I think.

Worse than Just Cause 2? I've never heard so many terrible and unidentifiable accents in my life. Bolo Santosi's ridiculous innuendos comboned with her voice work made me cringe whenever she spoke.

The gameplay was the best part of the satire! You're this rich, white douchebag on a tropical island murdering every endangered animal you see to gain tiny conveniences like a wallet that holds more money. You treat every car you see like it's yours, never that put off when you inevitably drive it off the side of a mountain. Your friends are in the hands of madmen, but you're never in a hurry, spending most of your time wandering around to steal relics of pick flowers. You get free guns for restoring cell phone service. Most of the gameplay systems are lampooning the kind of game it is.

And for the record, I never said it was great satire, only that many people were being wilfully ignorant of its satirical intent. I was talking about the Colbert Report when I referenced "skillful satire". My point was there isn't a mystical threshold of quality that makes a satire acceptable.

The gameplay was the best part of the satire! You're this rich, white douchebag on a tropical island murdering every endangered animal you see to gain tiny conveniences like a wallet that holds more money. You treat every car you see like it's yours, never that put off when you inevitably drive it off the side of a mountain. Your friends are in the hands of madmen, but you're never in a hurry, spending most of your time wandering around to steal relics of pick flowers. You get free guns for restoring cell phone service. Most of the gameplay systems are lampooning the kind of game it is.

And for the record, I never said it was great satire, only that many people were being wilfully ignorant of its satirical intent. I was talking about the Colbert Report when I referenced "skillful satire". My point was there isn't a mystical threshold of quality that makes a satire acceptable.
Colbert's satire still goes right over some people's heads

#CancelColbert

Boss Mog

Worse than Just Cause 2? I've never heard so many terrible and unidentifiable accents in my life. Bolo Santosi's ridiculous innuendos comboned with her voice work made me cringe whenever she spoke.

Yeah but Just Cause 2 wasn't taking itself seriously at all story-wise, so all the characters were perfect. I mean 100 year old Japanese soldiers, if that doesn't tip you off that the story is one big joke I don't know what will. Far Cry 3 on the other hand was trying to be serious and be kinda like the movie The Beach.

rdrr gnr

Colbert's satire still goes right over some people's heads

#CancelColbert
Even that would be giving them too much credit. It wasn't a matter of ignorance. If we learned anything from #CancelColbert it's the de facto limit of satire: satire ceases being satirical the moment it offends you, personally. Humor becomes malice the moment you stop laughing. That's all it takes. That's what was so absolutely horrifying about the Colbert fiasco:"getting it" didn't matter. The fact that something offensive existed, irrespective of context, was enough to call for someone to lose their job (unfortunate) and their platform (an absolute travesty). In fact, attempts at providing context were seen as excuse-making or thinly-veiled bigot apologia (which the OP from that original thread heavily implied). We live in a world where The Onion is held to the same standards as Al Jazeera because feelings.

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who liked Bolo Santosi's voice and accent. I kinda think she's hot too. I like powerful women.

... I should reinstall JC2.

conman

I don't know about "skillful," but FC3 certainly aimed for satire. Like H. Rider Haggard's novel She, it cranks up colonial racist fantasy to 11. Parts of it worked for me as satire, and other parts fell in this ugly gray area where it wasn't clear how earnest the game was.

Regardless, this FC4 cover has none of the signs of satire (skillful or otherwise). It's just silly and careless. Will the game itself be? No way to know until I play the actual game, but judging by Alex Hutchison's work on AC3, I don't expect it to be much more thoughtful or nuanced about race than its cover is.

sjay1994

I was quite aware of the satiric intent overall. It just wasn't any good.

I don't think satire was even the original intent. After all the criticism FC3 got from people for its story, it seemed like Yohleam tried to pass it off as satire to deflect criticism because "people just didn't get it".

Is Yohleam even writing FC4? He just finished on Child of Light, so it might be someone different.

sjay1994

I don't know about "skillful," but FC3 certainly aimed for satire. Like H. Rider Haggard's novel She, it cranks up colonial racist fantasy to 11. Parts of it worked for me as satire, and other parts fell in this ugly gray area where it wasn't clear how earnest the game was.

Regardless, this FC4 cover has none of the signs of satire (skillful or otherwise). It's just silly and careless. Will the game itself be? No way to know until I play the actual game, but judging by Alex Hutchison's work on AC3, I don't expect it to be much more thoughtful or nuanced about race than its cover is.

Not sure what you are referencing by Hutchinson's work on AC3, as he was the creative director. Corey May who wrote all the prior AC games wrote 3.

Although, according to a dev on the game, a lot of content and story was cut due to time. The game never says Washington burnt down Connors village, even though it is alluded to.

Top Bottom