• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Trebek’s Angry Standoff With Sony Producers Revealed In Latest Email Leak Reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Alex Trebek’s Angry Standoff With Sony Producers Revealed In Latest Email Leak Reveal

Alex-Trebek-Sony-Hack-Jeopardy-Rant-PP.jpg

Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek’s contract runs until 2016, but RadarOnline.com has learned he recently threatened to walk away during a testy standoff with Sony execs. The whole exchange was captured in explosive emails leaked by hackers in the latest Sony media dump, and Radar has all the details.

According to the emails, Trebek exploded in anger after he was asked to re-tape a segment of Jeopardy! Kids following an incident with a contestant.

The problem started near the end of the show when the contestant was in the red — making her unable to play in the Final Jeopardy round.

“She was visibly upset” and ran backstage crying with her mother, a producer writes in the emails. The producer and her mother eventually calmed the girl and she returned to the set to watch the taping of another episode from the audience. But the mother wrote in a letter to producers that she “was quite a bit taken back” with Trebek’s reaction.

According to the mom, Trebek didn’t ever console the girl backstage. “If he had taken the time, he would have known, like you do, that my daughter is not a sore loser, and does not become emotional solely over losing a game,” the woman wrote. “She was upset about not being able to completely play the game to the end.”

“I don’t think I’ll ever forgive him for that,” the girl’s mom wrote in a letter to Jeopardy! producers.

A producer wrote in an e-mail that although “Alex’s intentions were good,” they would ask him to re-tape the offending segment “to appease an upset mother who could start another feeding frenzy about Alex’s perceived insensitivity.”

But the simple request sent Trebek into a rant that he dictated to a show staffer to be e-mailed to producers: “If you all think I should retape the opening, I will,” he wrote. “But I want to say that for 30 years I’ve defended our show against attacks inside and out. But it doesn’t seem to operate both ways. When I’m vilified, corporate (and certainly legal) always seems to say ‘don’t say anything and it’ll blow over,’ and I’m not feeling support from the producers, and that disappoints the s—t out of me.”

Trebek’s angry message ended with a threat that he insisted was anything but: “If I’m making mistakes and saying things you don’t like, maybe it’s time for me to move on,” he wrote. “It’s not a threat, but I want to let you know how I’m feeling.”
Trebek has hosted the highly-profitable game show for 30 years and his early exit would be a blow for Sony Pictures Television.

The latest behind-the-scenes drama was revealed in several e-mails leaked in the massive dump of data posted online by hackers who identified themselves as Guardians of Peace.

Jeopardy! Executive Producer Harry Friedman wrote in an email that Trebek eventually calmed down.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Kid's Week sucks ass anyway. A massive waste of time. And the girl was in the red. You don't get to play FJ for fun if you have no money.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
lol, girl sounds like a brat

Good for him for taking a stand. That little girl is a spoiled little brat.

This sums up my feelings, exactly. It's ok if the kid cries but maybe the parent should be the one to help and not the stranger who hosts the show. His affection should be a courtesy, not a requirement,

jtb

Banned
she did play the game to the end. she fucking lost.

jeopardy is a game for badasses only, leave your whiny mom at home

It's jeopardy. There are no participation trophies in Jeopardy. And yeah, this is pretty bottom of the barrel. Trebek sounded quite reasonable and measured in his response, simply expressing disappointment.

GulAtiCa

Not much of a threat. Just sounded like the little girl is actually a sore loser, ore more accurately, her mother is a sore loser.

terrisus

Seems perfectly legitimate on his part, and not all that overly "angry," just to-the-point and direct.
What's the issue?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Little girl is a sore loser whether her mom thinks she is or not.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
That's an angry rant?? He even says he is willing to do re-tape if necessary. It sounds pretty direct and to the point.

And what exactly did he do to make the mother so upset? Did he mock the girl or something? Why does he need to console her?

Does anybody else read his quotes in a weird robotic Jeopardy voice as if he isn't capable of normal human conversation?

EDIT: Also they should just let him leave. I think its about time for a bit of a reboot with a more casual host and setting. Seems way too formal now.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I don't get what happened. Trebek was doing the show, the girl went off, she cried, Trebek then went on to do another episode without first stopping back stage to check on her for some reason? Is that it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom