• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Anthology Blu Ray Official-Oct. 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man

DVD
dvd11.jpg

Blu-ray
Aliens11.jpg

Some grain in this scene but great shot of young Sigourney.

NekoFever said:
I know Cameron went back and redid the colour timing for the Blu-ray. I'd assume that he did the DVD as well, given his strictness about having control over these kinds of things, so it could just be a case of changing tastes.

He has just made Avatar, after all, which explains the blue tint.

A bunch of his movies have blue tint/lighting.

Jacobi said:
I like the cooler tones better though... That'S just more fitting
Tue, when I think Aliens, I think of the cold, dark slimy hallways and desolate landscape of LV26.

Colony scenes in SE of Aliens are terrible.
Disagree, they're pretty nice to see after you've seen the film at least once. Though, there is subtle power to Burke coming to Ripley's apartment informing her that communication from Hadley's Hope has been lost for unknown reasons.

I say watch the theatrical cut, then the directors. I know everyone will want to watch it again anyways! :p

EDIT: Is the grain a part of the restoration process, or is it added later in this case? I would definitely like to see a crisp, clear version of these screens.

swoon

jett said:
I would venture to guess that the DVD release is closer, but you'd have to ask someone that remembers how an Aliens print looked like in '89. :p

Altering the color grading of old movies to have a more blue-ish tone seems to be en vogue. Ridley Scott did the same thing for the "Final Cut" of Blade Runner.

i've seen two original prints of aliens in the couple of years. one was perfect - from the vaults and one was torn to shit. they both were closer to the dvd than the blu-ray. the new color timings aren't awful - but people would still say "holy shit" if they put the same amount of effort in keeping the films original color timings

NekoFever said:
I know Cameron went back and redid the colour timing for the Blu-ray. I'd assume that he did the DVD as well, given his strictness about having control over these kinds of things, so it could just be a case of changing tastes.

The blue tint has been in all of his films. Aliens was one of the few exceptions to it. But just look at T2, True Lies, and Titanic. Cameron loves him some blue.

swoon said:
i've seen two original prints of aliens in the couple of years. one was perfect - from the vaults and one was torn to shit. they both were closer to the dvd than the blu-ray. the new color timings aren't awful - but people would still say "holy shit" if they put the same amount of effort in keeping the films original color timings
The clean up and clarity is the main holy shit aspect that I like. The color timing makes it look more in tune with the rest of Cameron's catalog, but since it is supervised by him I dont have as huge an issue with it. I remember how drastic the new remaster of Seven was when it came out ten years ago.

woxel1

I'm really digging the shots, they're not at all degrained like I was expecting. The new color timings look boss -- sometimes it's easy to confuse a DVD transfer for director's intent (since that's often all we have to go by).

woxel1 said:
I'm really digging the shots, they're not at all degrained like I was expecting. The new color timings look boss -- sometimes it's easy to confuse a DVD transfer for director's intent (since that's often all we have to go by).
Grain is a fact of life, and should not ever be completely eliminated if it was present. Excessive grain is one thing, but there should always be some present in movies shot on film, especially the ones as old as Aliens. Removing the grain completely usually results in a washed out and glossy picture, much like the recent Predator debacle.

The shots shown of Aliens look like they retain a healthy amount of grain while cleaning up the image to incredible levels of detail.

swoon

woxel1 said:

it isn't all we have to go by though. regardless this is the same situation the blu-ray of the french connection just went through and it got low marks from every site for it. i'm just interested in how people will review this change.

FnordChan

swoon said:

Having seen at least one of those two prints, I'm not sure how I feel about the color timing either. It sure looks like Cameron got happy with the blue this time around and I agree that the DVD colors look more accurate. While the increased amount of blue is presumably the way Cameron wants to present the movie now, I'd always prefer to see films as they were originally shown theatrically. That said, I reckon I can live with the new look and I'll probably break down and pick up this set anyway. This is as opposed to, say, The French Connection, where I haven't decided if I'm willing to go with the new edition's timing change just yet. Either way, it continues to be disappointing that collecting films on Blu-ray often seems to involve having to make concessions about color timing, DNR, or what have you.

FnordChan

Dead

well not really...yet
This Aliens transfer just makes the recent Predator remaster all the more painful. :(

Maxrunner said:
That french version looks great i wonder what are those 4 dvds
Digital copies most likely

NekoFever said:

He has used blue since he started as a director. Terminator flashbacks are all blue. T2 is full of blue, the abyss is in blue water, True Lies is blue, blue blue blue. He likes his blue.

Dead said:
This Aliens transfer just makes the recent Predator remaster all the more painful. :(

Digital copies most likely
Agreed. But with de Lauzirika in charge of the set, you knew we would get quality product in the end. I am not surprised this is shaping up to be a tip top release.

Man

Dead said:
DVD:

5l72c9.png

Blu-Ray:

vdhjzd.jpg

Sorry for quoting this after many others doing so but...

This feels like ultra real to me. I don't mean that in a negative way at all.
More like: This 1986 classic was filmed last week. My brain is having trouble connecting the wires. So very happy.

Lime

Now I want to get the first and second film on blu-ray.

Any screencaps of Alien? I wonder if it will be as good as the treatment Blade Runner got.

Mr. Sam

Lime said:
Now I want to get the first and second film on blu-ray.

I think, initially at least, it only comes in the boxset. Not too painful for me; I like the third and can accept Resurrection as dead weight.

Mr. Sam said:
I think, initially at least, it only comes in the boxset. Not too painful for me; I like the third and can accept Resurrection as dead weight.
Yup, and like I have repeated ad nauseam in this thread, the third movie is worth getting just for the documentary. Think of the actual film being the bonus feature you will never watch.

MNC

So the shot of Sigourney, is that all done in post processing or did they have the original tape lying around or something and did something spiffy?

MNC said:
So the shot of Sigourney, is that all done in post processing or did they have the original tape lying around or something and did something spiffy?
Restoration from original negative or inter-positive as far as I know.

NekoFever

MNC said:
They'll have gone back to the original film and cleaned it up, both physically and by digitally removing persistent dirt, but it's mainly getting the most out of what was already there on film.

Raydeen

Glad Cameron got rid of the reddish / pinky tiny of ALIENS - that one the one 'look' of the film that always bugged me. Brings it more in line with the universe of ALIEN.

Lord Error said:
So in general, it is accepted that director's cut of Alien and theatrical cut of Aliens are the ones to watch first? I've seen both movies before obviously, but I want the best possible refresher.

Cameron invented That, so there better be!

No. Seriously watch the DC first. Especially if you're watching it straight after the first - it makes it closer in tone and pacing to the first. If you really need to ask yourself which is the right one, just remember that its the cut Cameron prefers. To me its as important as the difference between the theatrical and directors cut of The Abyss. The characters in the theatrical cut come across as far more shallow than they do after their fleshing out in Aliens.

epmode

I'm positive that I prefer the cinematic version of Alien and I *think* I prefer the cinematic version of Aliens. Sucks to lose the sentry gun sequence though!

Branduil

Furret said:
It's definitely better to see the Aliens theatrical cut first as you won't appreciate it if you see the director's cut before it. You may still prefer the director's cut, but at least you've given yourself the option.

The changes in the Alien director's cut are much less obvious but the additions near the end really spoil the pace (and the continuity with the sequels). Scott still considers the 1979 theatrical cut to be his "version of choice".
Continuity barely matters at this point. The reproductive cycle idea in the original film was better anyway.

Snaku

Banned
Fuck, and I was trying to save money. Just pre-ordered this and Back to the Future on Amazon thanks to those screens. Thanks gaf. :(

Scullibundo said:
I'm still waiting to own the first two separately. My collection shant be tainted.
Bah. Missing out. And you will be missing all the goodies for the first two movies that are on e last two discs of the set that they couldn't fit on the first four discs

Unless its a new documentary for Alien 3 (I've seen the old one), then I'm not interested. Alien 3 just disappoints me so much every time I watch it. Resurrection is fucking awful.

vazel

Banned
Scullibundo said:
I'm still waiting to own the first two separately. My collection shant be tainted.
Me too. I got all Mission Impossible movies individually except the second one. I never get complete sets if it includes the shitty movies. Also waiting for the first two Ninja Turtles movies to go standalone.

Scullibundo said:
Unless its a new documentary for Alien 3 (I've seen the old one), then I'm not interested. Alien 3 just disappoints me so much every time I watch it. Resurrection is fucking awful.
The blu adds about 30 minutes to the Alien 3 doc. Apparently some really juicy stuff about how bad fox fucked over Fincher.

The last two discs in the new set are image archives and ports of laserdiscs content which didn't make it to the quadrilogy set.

MNC

Maaaan, I so want this. But this was the 100 buck thing, right? :( Will have to wait or get my video/audiophile dad to buy it... :lol

Zombie James said:
Anyone know if the extras are going to be in HD?
Not sure. I wonder that as well since the documentaries in the previous set were 1.33 instead of 1.78.

Actually, they probably are not going to be HD because of their length. Nearly all the documentaries were at least 3 hours in length, then all the other still galleries and small featurettes. Cramming all of that plus a 2 hour plus movie onto one disc in HD would be hard and sacrifice picture quality on the films. I think the features are SD then. Oh well. No more switching discs though, and keeps the quality of the movies high.

EDIT: DOH! Reread my OP and how the disc breakdown works. The documentaries are all on one disc together. They are definitely SD only, since they are cramming over 12 hours of them onto one disc. The movie discs are movie only, with commentaries and isolated scores, and some interactive features. At least they are giving the films as much room as possible.

I wonder what he will have done with the shot of Ripley coming out of the sleep pod.
Weaver should have trimmed that bush, because in the HD telecast, many spider legs were visible.

If Gorman's stubble magically appears in the bluray transfer... well... aliens will be a Sci Fi version of Basic Instinct

Dead

well not really...yet
Templar Wizard said:
I wonder what he will have done with the shot of Ripley coming out of the sleep pod.
Weaver should have trimmed by that bush, because in the HD telecast, many spider legs were visible.

If Gorman's stubble magically appears in the bluray transfer... well... aliens will be a Sci Fi version of Basic Instinct
Never noticed that.

For what its worth, pics are out for 3 and 4. Nothing special was done to them, they're the same masters that were used for the Quadrilogy set.

MYE

Some of those shots look too clean and, funny enough, fake compared to the old print.

There i said it. Blue tint can go fuck itself too (its The Matrix all over again)

:/

Mr. Sam

Scullibundo said:
AvP2 already has a place in my collection - being a gift from my uncle who got it free with the game - so eh, I may as well.

123rl

My copy just arrived from Play.com. I just put Alien on to watch a few scenes and I'm impressed! Stunningly clear image...this is one of the best catalogue restorations I've ever seen. You can see for yourself from those images but it just looks so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom