• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Anthology Blu Ray Official-Oct. 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man

Scandinavia (probably elsewhere as well) is getting this cover:

alienanthology.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Templar Wizard said:
I wonder what he will have done with the shot of Ripley coming out of the sleep pod.
Weaver should have trimmed that bush, because in the HD telecast, many spider legs were visible.

If Gorman's stubble magically appears in the bluray transfer... well... aliens will be a Sci Fi version of Basic Instinct

there wouldn't be anything in the bluray that wasn't visible in the first cinema release

Mr. Sam

Got this today. Am watching Alien right now. My God, it seriously looks like a brand new movie. Can't wait to see what Aliens and Alien Cubed look like. I don't think I'll subject myself to Resurrection in HD though. Not yet anyway.

What is special order 937?

Dead

well not really...yet
Cubed and Resurection didnt get new masters. They're the same as the ones used on the Quadrilogy set, only in HD

Dead said:
Cubed and Resurection didnt get new masters. They're the same as the ones used on the Quadrilogy set, only in HD
The two best ones got the most love. The masters on Alien 3 and Alien Regurgitation were in fine shape. I have to wait for Christmas for the set though. Dammit.

Mr. Sam

epmode said:
Single-film releases nao pls
The box has totally thrown off the unformity of my BD collection. I think I might have to put the cardboard sleeves back on the ones I took them off now.

Mr. Sam

Alien - for a film with a tag line that references how sound can't travel through a vacuum - sure has a lot of sound travelling through a vacuum.

Fallout-NL said:
Yes. Kind of uncool to add two inferior movies in order to then charge a small fortune.
I have said it many times before, but the set is worth it for the Alien 3 documentary. Just a damn good watch and brings to light so many issues with the making of the film.

Maxrunner

PhoncipleBone said:
I have said it many times before, but the set is worth it for the Alien 3 documentary. Just a damn good watch and brings to light so many issues with the making of the film.

Hows the documentary???does it live to the hype? does fincher and the producers enter in fight mode?:lol

Also the burke's cocoon have you seen it?

Mr. Sam said:
Alien - for a film with a tag line that references how sound can't travel through a vacuum - sure has a lot of sound travelling through a vacuum.
I think that tagline is less to do with the science of soundwaves in a vacuum and more to do with the fact that space is remote and there's no-one around to help you. Nice pedantry, though!

Actually even on a pedantic level it fails. When does the movie ever have sound in the vacuum of space? Everything either happens aboard the Nostromo or in the atmosphere of LV426.

Maxrunner said:
Hows the documentary???does it live to the hype? does fincher and the producers enter in fight mode?:lol

Also the burke's cocoon have you seen it?
I dont have the Blu set, but the documentary on it is an extended version of the same one on the Quadrilogy set. The doc is great, and worth the Alien 3 disc just for that to see how the film could have been adn what went wrong.

Maxrunner

PhoncipleBone said:
I dont have the Blu set, but the documentary on it is an extended version of the same one on the Quadrilogy set. The doc is great, and worth the Alien 3 disc just for that to see how the film could have been adn what went wrong.

Where did you get the dcoumentary?

Mr. Sam

Gary Whitta said:
I think that tagline is less to do with the science of soundwaves in a vacuum and more to do with the fact that space is remote and there's no-one around to help you. Nice pedantry, though!

Actually even on a pedantic level it fails. When does the movie ever have sound in the vacuum of space? Everything either happens aboard the Nostromo or in the atmosphere of LV426.

When the
Nostromo blows up
and when
the thrusters are turned on to repel the alien
. I think maybe a couple of other times, too. Spoilered just in case anybody somehow hasn't seen it yet.

It doesn't bother me. I just found it odd.

Maxrunner said:
Where did you get the dcoumentary?
It is on the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set from years ago. They had to edit out about 30 minutes from it before Fox would approve it, and it is still pretty anti-Fox. The one on the new Anthology set is the original uncut version.

I love the one from the old set, and am anxious to see all the newly added stuff.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/insidealien/part02.html

Read that article. Very good interview with the producer of the DVD and Blu sets and how a documentary about making Alien 3 was the sole reason for him starting this set.

The Digital Bits said:
DB: Alien³ was basically a flawed film from the very beginning, wasn't it?

CL: It was seriously compromised before the shooting even began. I don't know if it's an actual quote, but I seem to remember at one point hearing Fincher say something to the effect that, "The only way to do a director's cut of Alien³ is to burn the negative and start over." I know he mentioned once that, during the L.A. riots in '92, when some of the fires and vandalism was getting pretty close to one of the labs where the negative for Alien³ was stored, he kept hoping that it would get burned to the ground. [laughs]

DB: So the point of this new cut is to show people where the film was in post production, and where Fincher was going with it?

CL: Basically, the best way to look at this cut is, this is pretty much everything they shot originally - before the re-shoots, before the test screenings. This is kind of like the first assembly of the film. Now, it's a bit more polished than the actual first assembly…

DB: Because you're finishing the effects and the audio mix…

CL: Right. What you're seeing is a reconstruction of the direction the film was going. After this point, it started getting cut down and cut down, and then there were re-shoots. So this is the first cut of the film after development hell and after production hell, but before post production hell. As such, it's a very unusual piece of work. When you see this cut, you'll really understand how Alien³ ended up the way it did, because the film was literally being rewritten as they were shooting. And it shows. The film really feels cobbled together. It doesn't make for a very entertaining experience, but it's fascinating, if you're a fan of the film, to be able to see how it got so badly screwed up.

The Digital Bits said:
DB: Tell us a little more about that production, for some of our readers who might not be familiar with it. There were a number of different directors that worked on Alien³, weren't there?

CL: Sure. It actually starts with the number of different writers. Off the top of my head, I think there were seven or eight different writers, and a ton of different drafts done. It was always changing. It started with William Gibson's script, which was more militaristic like Aliens. That's probably what the fans wanted. Then, David Twohy, Eric Red, Rex Pickett, John Fasano, and Vincent Ward - all these guys took a stab at it. Eventually, they started to hone in on this sort of monastic society, which finally got turned into prisoners with religious convictions. And it was a mess. It was a cobbled together train wreck of a story. But I found it fascinating.

The film was fascinating too, because there were three different directors on it. Renny Harlan worked on it for a year, then Vincent Ward took over. He took it almost all the way to production. They were actually building sets while he was still on it. Ward had this idea that the whole film would take place on a wooden planet, and he was talking about casting Gary Oldman in one of the parts. He was getting ready to pull the trigger on it. Finally, though, Fox and the producers basically said, "These are terrific ideas, but they're just way too out there for what we need for a franchise movie." So enter David Fincher...

DB: This was Fincher's first movie.

CL: It was his first film. I think he was twenty-seven at the time. He was an amazingly talented commercial and music video director, but he stepped in and inherited this shipwreck. He had to do with it the best he could. And that was just the beginning. [laughs] It got worse.

randomwab

I actually can't wait to sit down and watch the Alien 3 documentary. I've been dying to see the uncut version. That and the new Aliens transfer are the main reason I bought the box.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Mr. Sam said:
When the
Nostromo blows up
and when
the thrusters are turned on to repel the alien
. I think maybe a couple of other times, too. Spoilered just in case anybody somehow hasn't seen it yet.

It doesn't bother me. I just found it odd.

Did you really just spoiler tag a movie from 1979?

Man

Mr. Sam said:
Also: Silent Hill is quite noisy.

Man

Crazy to think of a movie trilogy actually having Ridley Scott, James Cameron and David Fincher as the directors.

segarr

My bro would love to own this set. He already dropped a good chunk on the quad set though and whose to say an even batter set won't come along in a few years?
Probably will. ''The Ultimate 3d 1440p Experience!''
Technological progress will keep us buying the old classics.

PhoncipleBone said:
And Jean Pierre Jeneut.

That was the problem right there. The other 3 are very serious and grounded film makers tonally. JPJ, especially combined with a goofy Joss Whedon script, is about a good of a match for Alien as Tim Burton would be which is to say not at all.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Sometimes I look at my copy of Quadrilogy and consider watching Resurrection since I've owned it for 5 years or so and have never watched my copy. But every time I think, "nah." Will be nice to continue the tradition with a high-res version that I'll never watch either.

randomwab

Guileless said:
Sometimes I look at my copy of Quadrilogy and consider watching Resurrection since I've owned it for 5 years or so and have never watched my copy. But every time I think, "nah." Will be nice to continue the tradition with a high-res version that I'll never watch either.

Ahah, same here. Never watched my Quadrilogy copy, probably won't watch my Anthology copy.

Man said:
Crazy to think of a movie trilogy actually having Ridley Scott, James Cameron and David Fincher as the directors.

Crazier to think that the studio turned down a Cameron-Scott co-production with a huge lead actor added to the cast in favour of playing their franchises off against one another and decreasing the value of both.

GhaleonEB

PhoncipleBone said:
It is on the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set from years ago. They had to edit out about 30 minutes from it before Fox would approve it, and it is still pretty anti-Fox. The one on the new Anthology set is the original uncut version.

I love the one from the old set, and am anxious to see all the newly added stuff.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/insidealien/part02.html

Read that article. Very good interview with the producer of the DVD and Blu sets and how a documentary about making Alien 3 was the sole reason for him starting this set.

We've only had a couple of interviews that I would really consider brutally honest. But my final cut of the documentary, which did go into some interesting detail and was initially approved by Fox, eventually scared the hell out of some Fox executives and lawyers. So they went and made several cuts without my participation, most of which made absolutely no sense to anyone working on the disc. I've actually taken my name off of the documentary because of it. I've disowned it and it's truly a shame because the primary reason I signed on for this project was to create an in-depth documentary on Alien³. So for those people who are expecting this DVD to really be the tell-all - all the dirt you've always wanted to hear about Alien³, it's not going to be that. It's not going to be Hearts of Darkness for Alien³. But it was that…before, much like the film itself, studio politics ruined it.
Well, so much for that. Hearing about how the train wreak came to be would be more entertaining than the film itself.

Scullibundo said:
Crazier to think that the studio turned down a Cameron-Scott co-production with a huge lead actor added to the cast in favour of playing their franchises off against one another and decreasing the value of both.

Who was the lead actor? Anyways I'm buying this on sale later this year. Definitely can't wait to see Alien and I guess Aliens in HD.

But moreso excited for that Alien 3 doc. TSN renewed my interest in Fincher big time. Can't wait to see why it turned to shit.

Discotheque said:
Who was the lead actor? Anyways I'm buying this on sale later this year. Definitely can't wait to see Alien and I guess Aliens in HD.

But moreso excited for that Alien 3 doc. TSN renewed my interest in Fincher big time. Can't wait to see why it turned to shit.

You've never heard this?

Cameron was going to direct and co-produce with Ridley Scott for Alien 5. They were going to take us to the Alien homeworld with another bunch of characters and marines. Starring alongside Sigourney was going to be Schwarzenegger.

FOX told them thanks but they wanted to take it in another direction which was AvP and so Cameron scrapped the month or so of pre-production and design work that they had done for t.

GhaleonEB said:
Well, so much for that. Hearing about how the train wreak came to be would be more entertaining than the film itself.
That interview is from the Quadrilogy version. The version in the Anthology Blu set is the uncut one with all those brutal remarks back in. The Quadrilogy version was scathing enough, I am really excited to see the Anthology cut of it though.

Fuuuucking hell. I swear Arnold got a raw deal in the past 10-15 years. There was also that Verhoeven Crusades film that was supposed to star Arnold but got passed on in favor of....Cuttthroat Island. Oh and Ridley Scott's I am Legend with Arnold.

And Alien 5 too? WTF!

In the end he got his payback. He got to star in the likes of End of Days, Eraser and Collateral Damage :lol ...:(

Scullibundo said:
You've never heard this?

Cameron was going to direct and co-produce with Ridley Scott for Alien 5. They were going to take us to the Alien homeworld with another bunch of characters and marines. Starring alongside Sigourney was going to be Schwarzenegger.

FOX told them thanks but they wanted to take it in another direction which was AvP and so Cameron scrapped the month or so of pre-production and design work that they had done for t.
I thought it was the other way around. Cameron producing and Scott directing. And that they said they would make it under the condition that Fox NOT make AVP.

PhoncipleBone said:
I thought it was the other way around. Cameron producing and Scott directing. And that they said they would make it under the condition that Fox NOT make AVP.

Nope, Cameron came to Ridley with the idea and was planned to direct.

I find Alien 3 to be an excellent entry into the series. It just isn't the movie anyone wanted it to be. On its own merits as a stand alone film is hits every note, but it loses its franchise audience in the first 3 minutes. To its credit, you can't tell where the film is going to go from the opening credits to the end credits.

I wish David wasn't so hard on it. The workprint he designed is a beautiful dark depressing mood piece with excellent photography and performances and he did so under extreme duress. Even James Cameron loves the way it looks even though he hates the story.

Dead

well not really...yet
Alien 3 gets a shit load of hate, but it does one of the most iconic moments of the franchise:

LCr8k.jpg

GhaleonEB

PhoncipleBone said:
That interview is from the Quadrilogy version. The version in the Anthology Blu set is the uncut one with all those brutal remarks back in. The Quadrilogy version was scathing enough, I am really excited to see the Anthology cut of it though.
Ah, I didn't know that. I haven't paid attention to all the different iterations of the sets. Nevermind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom