• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

man, the AI is really bad- especially the PMCs. I got the jump on one because he was literally facing a wall shooting at nothing.

One alien glitched and launched across a vast open area to take a swipe at me. If all the aliens glitch-attacked like that it would ramp up the fear factor, that's for sure. :p

also, not sure what was going wrong, but the first Alien encounter at the very beginning of the fucking game kept killing me. I tried mashing the melee button, tried the shooting button, basically mashed all the buttons and the fucker kept killing me in the 'cinematic' attack.
There were no button prompts or anything to shake the son of a bitch off. Was this a glitch or was I just not doing something obvious?

I was laughing because I couldn't believe I was failing so hard within the first 5 minutes of the game.

Finally I just tried shooting the spot he was hiding before the scripted attack and it killed him. :/

I'm 4 chapters in now & overall the game is remarkably sloppy.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Was playing this with a friend last night Co-op on xbox (The graphics are horrible...) and I couldn't get through more than an hour of playing the campaign. Maybe it'll be better on PC but wowza its bad on xbox. The online however is a bunch of fun i think. The alien animations are horrible when compared to AvP2010 but its still fun playing a Left4Dead gametype within the aliens universe. That said, at most I would only recommend renting this... if that.....

I was thinking the planet in the main menu screen was bugged and kept glitching out because of the way it flashes.... Then it was in the intro of the campaign and I realized it's not a glitch..... its lightning...

Teleporter

Ok.

I've played some of the PC version and....it's actually pretty good.

After seeing and reading about the lack of challenge, I opted to go for the Hardened mode off the bat.

The Xenos are doing things that I haven't seen in any video and completely belay the waves of "stupid xeno" gifs and impressions. I've had them lunge at me across half a room, duck and weave, crawl all over the walls and ceilings - and they've quite honestly fucked me up a few times now.

Each encounter is tense and I feel victorious in staying alive through it. This tension also distracts you from some of the poor animation, to the degree that unless you're genuinely stopping and watching the things intently (which is a very bad idea) you are not going to notice.

Yes, the voice work is god awful.
Yes, the animations in general are quite poor.
Yes, the game has many bugs.

But it's still quite fun. (And I don't like CoD. The last enjoyable FPS I played was Singularity). Additionally, the above points could at some point be modded / patched.

Just sharing an opinion. I think the game is being unfairly dismissed by the masses (on here anyway). Try it. Up the difficulty. Enjoy it rather than trying to meticulously spot each flaw.

Same thing with me man! I`m playing the PC version all with highest confg possible and highest dificulty settings and man the game is good! I`m enjoying it a lot and its a shame to see so much bad reviews cause stupid outdated consoles. Another top AP killed by the system! BAD!

Gotta say i'm thoroughly enjoying the game so far. 4 missions in.

big alien(s) franchise fanboy but I think people are absolutely overreacting

Randy pitchford is still grimey as hell though

Edit: This game MUST be played on Ultimate badass for co-op. Totally changes the game. Really gives it more of a survival horror feel

I have a feeling a lot of reviewers played on normal mode

Thanks for the advice.

dwu8991

Banned
4.5/10 was a rather ridiculous score from gamespot

Aliens:CM is being held to a super higher standard just because it's based on a 1980/90's cult movie

For those that are fans of the movie, there is very little to make it into an 8 hour experience

Which of course means lots of corridor/ repetitive shooting

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Aliens:CM is being held to a super higher standard just because it's based on a 1980/90's cult movie

For those that are fans of the movie, there is very little to make it into an 8 hour experience

I would imagine if this were not an Aliens game, it might of actually gotten a lower score. The graphics are average at best with terrible character models, the game is glitchy and from at least the console versions, seems to have lots of screen tearing and the variety of enemies look very small. In fact, the latter might be excused by most reviewers because it's an Alien game following close to the movies. If it weren't, the whole enemy variety thing would probably be another huge smack to the game.

The game looks very average. Probably worth $20, but not full price admission.

Sorry, but this is bullshit that is only true when viewed through COD-like glasses. A more objective based take on Left 4 Dead's formula would be something true to the spirit of the movie.

MormaPope

Banned

I see someone hasn't played older Aliens games.

Just started playing on Xbox. Enjoyed the first mission. Screen tear is bad and the Voice work and animations are pretty lacking but Its fun for what it is.

The weapon upgrade mechanic and the collectables are nice.

jhawk6

Played 5+ hours. Some campaign and much more multi on 360 version.

Really loving the game. I really don't get the hate. Its an average shooter dipped in an aliens skin which elevates it a bit more to me.

The way the xenos control takes some getting used to and my biggest gripe is the inconsistency in what you can clamber on but they really nailed the panic when playing as a marine. Using the motion tracker to try and pinpoint the aliens aim of attack while trying to stay aware of your surroundings is quite thrilling and even a unique experience when it comes to all the dime a dozen online shooters.

Can all prospective buyers agree on something? I know there's lots of curious aliens fans (myself included), but a broken turd like this not only doesn't deserve your full 60, the studio/publisher don't deserve to see any money at all.

So if you're looking to buy, just wait for used. I'm not a used game advocate - I own none, and have a good library - but here it should be used to send a message.

And Pitchford, I hope you read this thread - nobody should ever support your broken fucking studio again.

jhawk6

Hooooray I'm not alone. :)

It'd be disingenuous to suggest the game is a masterpiece or anything but yeah its a solid 7 in my book and for an aliens game that's pretty much all I need to get enjoyment from it.

Gonna play some campaign with friends tonight and we'll try the ultimate badass mode for that extra tension!

todahawk

Sorry, but this is bullshit that is only true when viewed through COD-like glasses. A more objective based take on Left 4 Dead's formula would be something true to the spirit of the movie.

Shit, there's so much lore in the Dark Horse comics alone that could've been great starting points.

Aliens Tribes, the hardcover, introduced some interesting new ideas and characters. Loved that book... full color paintings instead of traditional panels with text throughout.

hlhbk

I am about to start my playthrough on PC. As a huge Aliens fan I am scared to do so after all the negativity. Will report back how I feel about it later.

It'd be disingenuous to suggest the game is a masterpiece or anything but yeah its a solid 7 in my book and for an aliens game that's pretty much all I need to get enjoyment from it.

Gonna play some campaign with friends tonight and we'll try the ultimate badass mode for that extra tension!

7 is the right choice imo. Maybe 6 if you're not a big Alien fan. But a 2-3/10? I don't get why this game should be completely broken. I can't see it. Maybe it's mediocre in terms of gameplay, A.I. and graphics...but broken? Skyrim on Ps3 is broken and should have received those scores. You can't even finish it without patch.

jhawk6

I am about to start my playthrough on PC. As a huge Aliens fan I am scared to do so after all the negativity. Will report back how I feel about it later.

Be interested to hear your thoughts when you return.

I don't know if you go into the game with the expectation that this is supposed to be the worst shit ever if that somehow makes the game feel better than you would have previously judged it if going in with higher expectations. Like you thought that this is a shooter that will set a bar for other shooters for 2013.

VM8MmyR.jpg

d0c_zaius

Same thing with me man! I`m playing the PC version all with highest confg possible and highest dificulty settings and man the game is good! I`m enjoying it a lot and its a shame to see so much bad reviews cause stupid outdated consoles. Another top AP killed by the system! BAD!

there is no need to make excuses. the devs killed the "AP", not the system.

Uninstalled my PC version last night after 2 hours of playtime. Has nothing to do with console ports.

Yeah I don't get it. 7 is the right choice imo. Maybe 6 if you're not a big Alien fan. But a 2-3/10? Someone has to explain me why this game is completely broken. I can't see it. Maybe it's mediocre in terms of gameplay, K.I. and graphics...but broken? Skyrim on Ps3 is broken and should have received those scores. You can't even finish it without patch.
I'm guessing its the pre-release misrepresentations, the weak AI, a focus on fighting human enemies, broken story elements (presumably fleshed out in DLC), performance issues (texture pop-in, tearing, framerate) and of course the bugs, bugs, and more bugs.

Sounds like a 4 to 5 to me, and I'm fine with the lower scale being utilized more.

jhawk6

I'm guessing its the pre-release misrepresentations, the weak AI, a focus on fighting human enemies, broken story elements (presumably fleshed out in DLC), performance issues (texture pop-in, tearing, framerate) and of course the bugs, bugs, and more bugs.

Sounds like a 4 to 5 to me, and I'm fine with the lower scale being utilized more.

I can't speak for others that are enjoying the game, but as I play I am not oblivious to all the things you mentioned. I would prefer you never fight humans, and story be better, and the bugs squashed, and technical hiccups been addressed but those things have only affected my overall satisfaction to the point of a 7/10.

And I like perfect dark's add in that go ahead and make that 6 if you have no attachment to the source material.

hlhbk

Be interested to hear your thoughts when you return.

I don't know if you go into the game with the expectation that this is supposed to be the worst shit ever if that somehow makes the game feel better than you would have previously judged it if going in with higher expectations. Like you thought that this is a shooter that will set a bar for other shooters for 2013.

I just played through the first mission. Not bad IMO. It's not great, could be better, but Duke Nukem forever was much worse than this. Based on the first mission 7.5/10.

Shinta

Banned
Just read the Kotaku story on this game and yeah, wow ...

The main lesson learned here is never, ever, everrrrrrrrr offer to publish a game from Gearbox. They'll outsource it and not even tell the publisher, not even check the progress of the outsourced team at all until the very end, and then when a garbage piece of shit product comes out they'll leak all kinds of shit to the media throwing everyone but them under the bus.

Gearbox should be sued for everything Sega invested in this project. I feel sorry for Sega.

bryanee

Finished the campaign in co-op with friends and had a blast. I however love the multiplayer, I hated playing as the Aliens at first but after unlocking some deadlier moves I'm doing much better with them.

I'd give the the game solid 7/10 when taking into account the amount of fun I had on co-op and How much like the multiplayer.

Bullshit that the horde mode is DLC though.

MRORANGE

The main lesson learned here is never, ever, everrrrrrrrr offer to publish a game from Gearbox. They'll outsource it and not even tell the publisher, not even check the progress of the outsourced team at all until the very end, and then when a garbage piece of shit product comes out they'll leak all kinds of shit to the media throwing everyone but them under the bus.

Gearbox should be sued for everything Sega invested in this project. I feel sorry for Sega.

deserves it's own thread. I knew this was going to be terrible but not on a scale like this.

Yea this is pretty damn telling; not only that, but TimeGate completely fucked them over. However, it seems they shouldn't have outsourced the game at all. How do you lose control of the scope/direction of a creative piece? Easy, just hand it off to someone else. This is amateur on both fronts, and Gearbox is shit-deep in the blame.

It's really awful to watch that demonstration and thick what could have been. Seriously, outsourcing is looking more and more like a problem to me after this.

Finished the campaign in co-op with friends and had a blast. I however love the multiplayer, I hated playing as the Aliens at first but after unlocking some deadlier moves I'm doing much better with them.

I'd give the the game solid 7/10 when taking into account the amount of fun I had on co-op and How much like the multiplayer.

Bullshit that the horde mode is DLC though.

Honestly I must say...I will probably buy it because the MP is so much fun.

Shinta

Banned
Yea this is pretty damn telling; not only that, but TimeGate completely fucked them over. However, it seems they shouldn't have outsourced the game at all. How do you lose control of the scope/direction of a creative piece? Easy, just hand it off to someone else. This is amateur on both fronts, and Gearbox is shit-deep in the blame.

Pretty telling that Sega denied that Timegate worked on the game. Did they even know? Was Gearbox feeding them false information for 6 years so they could work on Borderlands instead?

Seems like Sega has a legal case here.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Wasn't it just said that Gearbox didn't primarily outsource it to TimeGate and it's just Gearbox trying to point blame?

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-...es-sp-was-not-outsourced-to-timegate-studios/

Sorry if there's any misunderstanding on my part.

Wasn't it just said that Gearbox didn't primarily outsource it to TimeGate and it's just Gearbox trying to point blame?

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-...es-sp-was-not-outsourced-to-timegate-studios/

Sorry if there's any misunderstanding on my part.

Who knows then, what is the latest? Do we believe what Kotaku wrote, as it's a more recent article?

Either way, it does not look good for Gearbox, and the drastic contrast between the demo and the retail version makes sense if there was a lot of scrapping involved.

derExperte

And I like perfect dark's add in that go ahead and make that 6 if you have no attachment to the source material.

This gets brought up again and again, that being an Alien fan helps. Quite the opposite, don't get fooled by original locations and nice weapon sounds, the story poops all over the source material. While there are inconsistencies between the movies and the beginning of 3 is a big plothole, at least that was kinda necessary to get the Alien and Ripley together again. But what happens and who appears in CM is on a whole other level of awfulness and could've been avoided, it's so stupid if you know the movies that it takes the game even further down. Also while being fundamentally flawed the plot is handled horribly, the game basically goes 'fuck off' when it comes to explaining anything. Insulting and GiantBomb is right by calling CM "functionally broken and creatively bankrupt": http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/aliens-colonial-marines-review/1900-558/

...I would prefer you never fight humans, and story be better, and the bugs squashed, and technical hiccups been addressed but those things have only affected my overall satisfaction to the point of a 7/10.
Totally understandable, as experiences and sensitivities are ultimately subjective. I've had a great time with a few games that GAF would almost universally consider trash. So be it. I'd rather have my fun than worry about it ;P

This game though, it seems to be on another level of bullshit in terms of how the game was sold compared to the end result reality of it.

And hell, *if* everybody involved knew this launch was going to be a dud, why not at least lower the asking price?

Sega is the one who allowed them such a ridiculously long development time in the first place. If Sega didn't allow GBX to delay development and augment their contract time after time, A:CM would've been treated with more priority and maybe they would't have put their main team on Borderlands 2.

Mr Swine

Banned
Sega is the one who allowed them such a ridiculously long development time in the first place. If Sega didn't allow GBX to delay development and augment their contract time after time, A:CM would've been treated with more priority and maybe they would't have put their main team on Borderlands 2.

A developer shouldn't have a license to make a game from a franchise if they are already having all people making other games.

This gets brought up again and again, that being an Alien fan helps. Quite the opposite, don't get fooled by original locations and nice weapon sounds, the story poops all over the source material. While there are inconsistencies between the movies and the beginning of 3 is a big plothole, at least that was kinda necessary to get the Alien and Ripley together again. But what happens and who appears in CM is on a whole other level of awfulness and could've been avoided, it's so stupid if you know the movies that it takes the game even further down. Also while being fundamentally flawed the plot is handled horribly, the game basically goes 'fuck off' when it comes to explaining anything. Insulting and GiantBomb is right by calling CM "functionally broken and creatively bankrupt": http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/aliens-colonial-marines-review/1900-558/

I love Giant Bomb but this game is not broken.
This statement definitely goes too far imo.
Creatively bankrupt? Like COD?
Don't get me wrong. Everyone has an opinion but this...woah
Yeah you don't have to like this game but this is overreacting

FaintDeftone

Wow I'm shocked at some of the love GAF is giving this game. I played an hour and a half of it and I was ready to throw in the towel. Some of the worst animations I've seen in recent memory, awful clipping and screen tearing, horrible AI, bland human encounters, not a drip of tension or atmosphere, poop hit detection, and textures that look like assets from a launch PS2 game.

I have to admit though, the team deathmatch is kinda fun though...

Top Bottom