• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Gearbox is one of the worst offenders when it comes to bullshots.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I hope so. Considering their success from Borderlands, I hope all that creativity is being put into an independent Aliens game. Fuck, it could be amazing...

Chriswok said:
Is this still on track? Release dates are down as March on most websites, but there's been no new news for months!

Hopefully,Sega is looking at the wild success Gearbox is having with Borderlands and jump start this project.

TheFallen

Honestly, it seems kinda pointless for them to continue with this project when you have Rebellion already finishing up a game that is essentially the same thing + predator. What could this title offer that the other couldn't? (no Predator is not an acceptable response)

Personally I was looking forward to the Aliens RPG. Now that sounded unique.

TheFallen said:
Honestly, it seems kinda pointless for them to continue with this project when you have Rebellion already finishing up a game that is essentially the same thing + predator. What could this title offer that the other couldn't? (no Predator is not an acceptable response)

I know right. Especially considering how good AVP looks. But Sega may still cancel it. Cause it's only been in development hell for what 8 years now.

Shiggy

It's still on track, it's just not Sega's highest priority title as of now. Some of the Borderlands devs appear to have joined the Aliens team. We should expect some news next year.

TheFallen said:
Personally I was looking forward to the Aliens RPG. Now that sounded unique.

One of the selling points in the aliens colonial marines was the co-op aspect of it.
i mean just think about it: you and 3 more friends playing as marines trying to find those pesky aliens. now that's something i'm hoping for.

i think there's room for both (one focused on single/competitive mp) and the other focusing on the coop aspect of stuff.

TheFallen

kazuma_pt said:
One of the selling points in the aliens colonial marines was the co-op aspect of it.
i mean just think about it: you and 3 more friends playing as marines trying to find those pesky aliens. now that's something i'm hoping for.

i think there's room for both (one focused on single/competitive mp) and the other focusing on the coop aspect of stuff.
Doesn't the AVP game have that already?

In addition to Deathmatch, Infestation, and Predator Hunt, AVP will include a four-player cooperative Survivor mode for marines, which sounds similar to Gears of War 2's Horde mode. We'll have to wait until we can play this for ourselves, but fighting wave after wave of aliens sounds like a frantic experience.
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/aliensvspredatorworkingtitle/news.html?sid=6237959&mode=previews

Shiggy

Oh wow! Just found this, don't know why neither the larger nor the smaller outlets reported about it:
Alien: Colonial Marines was cancelled - or let's say put on hold, just like every other cancelled title. This was in November when there were layoffs at Gearbox as well as rumors with regard to the state of the game during that time. Why can we also assume this? Sega cancelled/retreated from several other publishing contracts during the same period [see Silicon Knights, Obsidian, Zombie Studios or Edge of Reality].
In May 2009 [from November until May a small team may have still worked on it but without Sega's approval], Gearbox somehow got the game back on track. So they started to work on the title on a large scale again.
Aliens: Colonial Marines is now planned for a release in 2010.

brandonh83 said:
Please, o lord, if you are there, please do not allow this game to suck.

Uncle said:
Agreed. The motion detetcor looks awesome. Reminded me instantly of this scene:

Hudson: Eight meters. Seven. Six.
Ripley: It can't be. That's inside the room.
Hudson: It's reading right, man! Look!
Hicks: Well, you're not reading it right.
Hudson: Five meters, man, four... What the hell?
chills.

Any update on this game? I'm hoping the decent figures for AvP have greenlit this project into final production, and we'll see it for Christmas :D

Swittcher

Banned
Chriswok said:
Any update on this game? I'm hoping the decent figures for AvP have greenlit this project into final production, and we'll see it for Christmas :D

What decent figures? I didn't see decent figures.

Chriswok said:
According to a podcast I heard last week (Giant Bomb I think) Gearbox is still working on it. So that's good.

mug

Never forget (Aliens Online)

246rqkl.jpg

Odrion

Banned
I have an Alien game for the Sega Saturn, forgot what game it was though.

Gearbox did say after the Borderlands Knoxx DLC that they're going back to work on Aliens, so yeah it's back in production.

Well this is it. With the moderate success of AVP and E3 approaching. Sega and Gearbox better be giving us the full reveal of this game next week. If Colonial Marines no shows E3 then I'm 100% positive this game is dead and will never see a release.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Well this is it. With the moderate success of AVP and E3 approaching. Sega and Gearbox better be giving us the full reveal of this game next week. If Colonial Marines no shows E3 then I'm 100% positive this game is dead and will never see a release.
E3 isn't next week, its the week after. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

So PAX has come and gone and Gearbox has given us 5 random screenshots. Nothing else. I remember back in the day Pitchford stated this was a dream project to work on. Clearly that was bullshit because they seem in no hurry to ever finish this game. sigh.

img_0010-w1200copy.jpg

img_0011-w1200.jpg

img_0009-w1200.jpg

img_0007-w1200.jpg

img_0008-w1200.jpg

Can't wait for this, actually. I'm glad it's still alive and not canceled.

One thing that I like about this game is that you only play as the Marines (in which I think you do) and there are no alien campaigns or anything like that. I do like the alien parts, but I really did want a game where you just play as the Marines fighting against a horde of aliens, like James Cameron's Aliens! Also, I think it'll make the single player campaign longer and more solid than breaking up the game to three different smaller campaigns.

But I'm sure in multiplayer there will be aliens playable.

MoFuzz said:
I don't recall ever coming across this one, what's the story on it? Was it any good? Decent community/following?

It was part of online game services like Gamestorm and such that required a subscription to play their catalog of titles. Aliens Online was a very simple online game that let people play as aliens or marines. Team of marines had to hunt down the alien players with superior weaponry while the alien team had to try and be sneaky to kill off the marines. Whoever wiped the other team out won.

Plasma

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I remember back in the day Pitchford stated this was a dream project to work on. Clearly that was bullshit because they seem in no hurry to ever finish this game. sigh.

I thought Sega were the ones that put it on hold?

MNC

So who here thinks Alien > Aliens. Just watched all 4 of them in a marathon with a buddy.

I do.

fanboi

Banned
Hm... Gearbox got Duke IP rights...

This game might catch the Duke disease... (not getting released in 10 years time or so)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
robor said:
I want a Alien³ game.

no thanks. It works perfect as a movie.

yeah I know that it's not a popular opinion, so you can stop posting your angry/lol reply

Basically, if they build on the cool&scary parts of the AvP marine campaigns plus combine it with the AvP survival (online) mode (expanded with stuff like setting up turrents and seal doors), that game will be sooo good.
I'm glad it's still alive. I wonder if they aim to release it around the prequel movies. Sadly Duke Nukem will probably be their priority :/

robor

subversus said:
no thanks. It works perfect as a movie.

yeah I know that it's not a popular opinion, so you can stop posting your angry/lol reply

I would still love a game. Survival horror style. I think it would kick ass.

I agree, it's my fav of the bunch

RustyO

I *might* be interested in this... really want an awesome Alien game.

MNC said:
So who here thinks Alien > Aliens. Just watched all 4 of them in a marathon with a buddy.

Aliens > Alien > Alien³ -> Alien Resurrection

Alien is a brilliant movie.
Aliens is fucking awesome, get's even better with age.
Alien³ is a decent enough movie.
Alien Resurrection was forgettable.

Personal choice, wouldn't argue with anyone claiming that Alien is better then Aliens.

SolidusDave said:
Basically, if they build on the cool&scary parts of the AvP marine campaigns plus combine it with the AvP survival (online) mode (expanded with stuff like setting up turrents and seal doors), that game will be sooo good.

x2 I'm in on this if it includes turrets, planning, sealing doors, getting the fuck out of dodge (Well, somebody's gonna have to go out there. Take a portable terminal, go out there and patch in manually), motion trackers (9 meters, 7, 6 / That can't be, that's inside the room. / It's reading right man, look / Then, "you're" not reading it right.), scary stuff.

If it turns out to be generic shooter #32423423 I'll skip it.

RustyO said:
/crawls out from under rock

There's prequel movies being made?

yup, two. There was a thread recently with a new interview bit about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406316

I don't expect the game to share the story of these movies at all, but it would make sense to release them both in 2011 for more media buzz and consumer interest (may also be one of the reasons why the game was postponed in the first place).

Curufinwe

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
So PAX has come and gone and Gearbox has given us 5 random screenshots. Nothing else. I remember back in the day Pitchford stated this was a dream project to work on. Clearly that was bullshit because they seem in no hurry to ever finish this game. sigh.

So Aliens Colonial Marines is not out yet because Gearbox are lazy and Pitchford's a liar? :lol Think before you type in future.

Curufinwe said:
So Aliens Colonial Marines is not out yet because Gearbox are lazy and Pitchford's a liar? :lol Think before you type in future.

Gearbox has been developing this for 4 fucking years already. I'll complain all I want.

Top Bottom