• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

womp said:
Exactly.

Back in 79 they actually USED a REAL vagina for the effects shots, none of this CGI BS...Back when movies were hardcore.

Ridley Scott is a true pioneer and visionary.
Wait...what?

Teknoman

Target confirmed and locked on.

Man I hope this turns out nice. 4p co-op in this universe has the potential to be a real winner.

BlackGoku03 said:
I don't know if this has been asked but isn't the alien's blood supposed to be green and... you know... dangerously acidic?

Don't think they ever show enemy blood in these screens. All the red blood is likely that of the humans.

If you suck at the first level, you should unlock the achievement "Bad Cornbread"

And if you keep sucking, you unlock the achievement "Ever Been Mistaken for a Man?"

A_Rival

This is a bit too much to handle.

Left for dead was my #1 awaited release for PC... and then...

THIS... from the same company, no less.

What's the deal? INSTA-BUY.

-A

So its aliens colonial marines vs left 4 dead in terms of co op holy shit i'm being swarmed type of genre.

I hope they make more co op fps like this.

Uncle

A_Rival said:

-A

What?

AppleMIX

Shouldn't they be worried about releasing there other two games?

A_Rival said:

-A

Left 4 Dead is done by Turtle Rock studios (Counter Strike: Condition Zero)

Aliens: Colonial Marines is done by Gear Box Studios (Half Life: Opposing Force, Brother in Arms series).

Crusade

This is awesome, I hope the squadmates have a shitload of personality and you really get attached to them like Brothers in Arms
only to see them mercilessly slaughtered

Sanjay

item

that radar scared the shit out of me in avp1.

Nocebo

TheJollyCorner said:
watching some AvP2 videos...

am I seeing this right? You can actually be a facehugger in multi-player? Is that a special mod or something? :D Awesome!
No, not a mod. As far as I know it's a mode you can turn on in multiplayer called "Alien life cycle". It speaks for itself. I've never played the multiplayer myself, though.
Any chance of gaf organizing a couple of multi AvP2? Seems there's a lot of love for this game still.

Aliens: Colonial Marines looks promising! However, not being able to play the alien, in multiplayer at the very least, would be insta fail.

This is direction that I was hoping they would take. If the graphics are even half as good as those bullshots, then I'm a happy gamer. The atmosphere is perfect! This is going to be a terrifying game, and most likely a tremendously successful online title. Day one. Or If I can get on the mp beta somehow, Day negative sixty or so.

raYne

Looks great. As everyone else, needs gameplay movies asap.

By the way, is the 4p co-op confirmed? Or is it just wishful thinking? Because that'd be pretty damn awesome, if true.

Kuran

Banned
I guess this is every 80's child's dream-game. They can't mess this up, it'll cost em their heads! The screens nail the look, I'm terribly excited.

LowParry

Sanjay said:
item

that radar scared the shit out of me in avp1.

Yes. Of fuck yes. Just the sound of it and when it picks up something, your first thought is "Oh fuck, I'm running." Turn around and there's like five blips. Damn. This game has got to deliver. Please make it good Gearbox!

JimiNutz

Banned
I hope your squad gets slaughtered relatively early on leaving you pretty much alone for the majority of the game.

raYne

NutJobJim said:
I hope your squad gets slaughtered relatively early on leaving you pretty much alone for the majority of the game.
I fully expect a, "That's it man. Game over man. Game over", quote when that happens.

Actually, if this does indeed have co-op, I expect it said by someone in every session ever played.

I think from what I have read at least a few members of your squad stick with you through the game. Each bringing something to the game that you have to utilise at points. Also for friends to jump in and play too.

JimiNutz

Banned
Lonesome_Raod said:
I think from what I have read at least a few members of your squad stick with you through the game. Each bringing something to the game that you have to utilise at points. Also for friends to jump in and play too.

Should have expected this really what with Gearbox's work on BiA. Does this mean that certain squad members will therefore be invincible-how does it work in BiA? If your squad members die is it game over for you? Or do they die and then magically reappear at the next checkpoint?

Die Squirrel Die said:
This is the Gearbox game right? Wasn't there a second Aliens game from Sega?

www.sega.com/aliens/index.php

As far as I can tell from the info after the jump, two games are in development. One rpg and one fps.

'(...)The game will go beyond the Sulaco, there will be human enemies involved that
[want] the aliens as biological weapons. And the mystery of the space jockey's species might
be also revealed.'

I don't know if they should mess with this though - especially the 'space jockey.
This is Alien-lore. Only Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett should be allowed to add to that.

I remember enjoying the Alien game - not Ressurection - on the first PSX a lot. Anyway the pictures look promising.

Is there anything known about the voice actors?

Gibb

Looking great!
Motion tracker and facehugger look fantastic!
I hope they can keep up this level of authenticity.

And speaking unique multiplayer roles: I see a pyro, an engineer (welder), a demo man and a heavy gunner.. remember those guns on hydraulic arms? =)

Even the auto gun turrets from the special edition version are there =)

nofi

Gibb said:
Even the auto gun turrets from the special edition version are there =)

This is like an Aliens fan's wet dream. This could be GOTY for me, looks amazing atmosphere wise, can't wait.

turk128

MWS Natural said:
womp said:
Exactly.

Back in 79 they actually USED a REAL vagina for the effects shots, none of this CGI BS...Back when movies were hardcore.

Ridley Scott is a true pioneer and visionary.
Wait...what?
Seriously, this needs a link to at least a wiki on it before I can believe this awesome bit of factoid.

c2morg

I remember playing AVP 1 at 2am in the dark with headphones on, damn that shit was scary. Cant wait to do it in HD, gonna be crazy.

Hope when the face huggers latch on your face, it doesn't leave a giant yellow pussy on your screen, it should be all dark with light creeping in from between the legs, would be really cool having your team pulling it off you, useful team commands 4tw.

Shawn128 said:
QFT.

This shit should be dark as hell. I'm hoping it will be as scary as the old Alien games as well.

So you want them to show screens where you see nothing?

I think it looks great. I have faith in Gearbox.

turk128 said:
Seriously, this needs a link to at least a wiki on it before I can believe this awesome bit of factoid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenomorph_(Alien)#Facehugger

This is what I found out about the conception of the facehugger.
It is suppose to be rubber.
I have yet to check the extra´s on the dvd for it.
But most likely it´s all rubber and the ´womans genital reference´ is nonsense.

I kinda feel stupid though for even looking in to it.

Capoeira

I literally just finished watching Alien like an hour ago so this thread couldn't have come at a better time.

This looks fucking awesome.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenomorph_(Alien)#Egg

Giger initially designed the eggs with a much more obviously vaginal appearance, complete with an "inner and outer vulva". The producers complained that Catholic countries would ban the film if the allusion was too strong, so Giger doubled the lobes to four, so that, in his words, "seen from above, they would form the cross that people in Catholic countries are so fond of looking at."

Giger is awesome.

Blutonium

nofi said:
This is like an Aliens fan's wet dream. This could be GOTY for me, looks amazing atmosphere wise, can't wait.

This.

Please do not suck. Please do not suck. Please do not suck. Still, as far as characters go, the xenomorph is my favorite one in movies, but this won't replace MGS4 for me as GotY (since Snake is unquestionably my favorite videogame character).

But again, pleeeeeeeeeease don't suck. I know Gearbox can do this.

TheKingOfSheep said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenomorph_(Alien)#Facehugger

This is what I found out about the conception of the facehugger.
It is suppose to be rubber.
I have yet to check the extra´s on the dvd for it.
But most likely it´s all rubber and the ´womans genital reference´ is nonsense.

I kinda feel stupid though for even looking in to it.
they didn't use real genitals, but the underside of the face hugger you see Ash poking at after it died isn't rubber. there's oysters and other things in there. mostly meat products carefully arranged.

AvP PC > AvP2 PC > AvP Jag but all are great games. the mp in AvP2 was the best... survivor mode was my favourite by far. but as far as frights go, the marine campaign in AvP PC was just relentless and terrifying... and replayable with random enemy placement to fuck with you. AvP 2 had it's moments of brilliance, but i still think there were far too many missions where you were fighting humans. loved all the parts up to where you first meet other humans though.

NutJobJim said:

That's not going to happen. Come on, this is Gearbox. It's going to be all about your squad, with the aliens being little more than objects to plot attacks against.

Top Bottom