• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

nofi said:
I do about most games, but tend to keep it to myself.
Thing is I was/am an absolute nut for AVP1/2 so I would love for this game to be awesome, but I have serious doubts Gearbox can pull it off.

EnjoyIncubus said:
Hopefully not in this game. It's supposed to be based off Aliens.

predatorbyadonihssj6.jpg

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Ignorance of Aliens in this thread is just too depressing :(

Game definitely looks great (getting deja vu just by looking at it)! I only wish Monolith came back and revisited the AvP franchise...or NOLF for that matter...

Quite true though too, "CLose-Encounters system" does seem quite disconcerning considering that the Alien's have acidic blood.

Mr. Sam

I remember watching my brother playing Alien Trilogy. If I loved that game, and love Aliens the film (but none of it's sequels, or even its prequel much) what are the odds I'm going to dislike this game? Pretty slim, although it's hardly as if, being a 360 owner, I'm running short of FPS's, is it?

Still, looking forward to it but am also getting a feeling it will be disappointing.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I don't know what's wrong with people on the first page but this game looks frikkin' fantastic.

Kydd BlaZe

Man...Gearbox sure has a lot on their plate with Borderlands, BIA: HH, and Aliens all supposidly coming this year. All three look like AAA titles thus far, though.

With that said, Aliens: Colonial Marines looks great. I'm just a little skeptical about how the 4 player co-op will work. In the GI article, they talked about how they plan on killing off a few key characters in the game (characters that the players would be able to control), and about how they still haven't figured out a way to keep this from screwing up the co-op functionality.

womp

turk128 said:
Seriously, this needs a link to at least a wiki on it before I can believe this awesome bit of factoid.

I was being sarcastic, it was a joke. :)

I was basing it around the fact that for the dissection scene in Alien, Ridley Scott used REAL clams, mussels and other assorted ocean life for the "guts" of the facehugger.

Kibbles

Kydd BlaZe said:
Man...Gearbox sure has a lot on their plate with Borderlands, BIA: HH, and Aliens all supposidly coming this year. All three look like AAA titles thus far, though.

With that said, Aliens: Colonial Marines looks great. I'm just a little skeptical about how the 4 player co-op will work. In the GI article, they talked about how they plan on killing off a few key characters in the game (characters that the players would be able to control), and about how they still haven't figured out a way to keep this from screwing up the co-op functionality.
And that supposed super special AAAA (yeah that's right) title coming out in 2010 o_O

jetjevons said:

None of which show any indication of this being a good developer for this particular property. If anything, Brothers in Arms was the anti-Aliens. And judging by what's been said about this game so far, and adding that unfortunate kneeling shot there, well it doesn't look bright for this poor game.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Mr. Sam said:
Like you didn't love the Aliens references in COD4. Wait, did anyone else play COD4's single player?
It's just trite and annoying now. How many god damn times am I going to be told to "stay frosty" or "check those corners" in games?

But I still have big <3 for Aliens, and I really hope this game turns out great.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I don't think Andrews really likes the BiA games very much... they're boring for a lot of people (not me).

I think what happens is that a dev is known for doing a certain kind of game, and then they pick up a new license... but there are people who have really strong feelings about that property and how it should be done as a game, and they get a little worried that the dev (based on past games) is going to do what they're known for... instead of using the license to it's full potential.

I totally understand that. If that company who turned Shadowrun into a FPS was still in existence, I'd have to fight off urges of throwing a Molotov cocktail through their office window. (just kidding)

Gearbox's focus on "squads" (and the game rules that come along with all that) is probably worrisome to people who are hoping for a game that is brutal and scary... I think that's pretty fair criticism.

I bet Andrews will be one of the first people to give Gearbox credit if they do the game right... but omg... if they fuck up look for some pretty epic trashing... Alien fans are hardcore. And they're bitter... they've been burned so many times.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
AltogetherAndrews said:
None of which shows any indication of this being a good developer for this particular property. If anything, Brothers in Arms was the anti-Aliens. And judging by what's been said about this game so far, and adding that unfortunate kneeling shot there, well it doesn't look bright for this poor game.

They're a developer with a solid track record. They haven't made this exact type of FPS before but that's no reason to believe they can't. Of course time will tell if you're right but I'm keeping a positive outlook on this.

As for "what's being said about the game so far" I'm at a loss. I've only read the GI article.

AltogetherAndrews said:
WHY!?

Brothers In Arms : Hell's Highway is one reason.

None of which show any indication of this being a good developer for this particular property. If anything, Brothers in Arms was the anti-Aliens. And judging by what's been said about this game so far, and adding that unfortunate kneeling shot there, well it doesn't look bright for this poor game.

We talking about the same game? Have you seen the videos of BIA: HH? With the Aliens game... we're getting squad based action set in the Aliens universe.... Fuck-Awesome if you ask me. Then again, if you don't know from Adam what BIA:HH is then you obviously are making this judgment on previous Gearbox games that while they were good, don't hold a candle to the new BIA game.

I would assume that Gearbox will have added components they learned from BIA into Aliens and vice versa. I hate it when people pass off judgment of a game that they either don't know shit about or are already convinced the game is going to suck.

Evolved1

jetjevons said:
As for "what's being said about the game so far" I'm at a loss. I've only read the GI article.

There are some red flags in the GI article, unfortunately.

But they also hint that parts of this game are going to be played without squadmates and how that is posing problems for them in co-op.

I'd also like to add, that, when thinking about BiA games and Gearbox's track record... you have to consider Hell's Highway. They've decided to ditch the squads for solo Baker missions for quite a substantial amount of the game. Something like 30% I think I remember Pitchford saying. For a game whose primary focus is squad combat... I think it's worth noting.

Victim said:
We talking about the same game? Have you seen the videos of BIA: HH? With the Aliens game... we're getting squad based action set in the Aliens universe.... Fuck-Awesome if you ask me. Then again, if you don't know from Adam what BIA:HH is then you obviously are making this judgment on previous Gearbox games that while they were good, don't hold a candle to the new BIA game.

I would assume that Gearbox will have added components they learned from BIA into Aliens and vice versa. I hate it when people pass off judgment of a game that they either don't know shit about or are already convinced the game is going to suck.

I'd encourage you to reread his previous posts in this thread. You've completely missed what he was saying.

recklessmind said:
I'd encourage you to reread his previous posts in this thread. You've completely missed what he was saying.

I went back 3 pages and re-read his posts.... I don't think I missed what he was saying. He basically is saying that he thinks Gearbox is going to f-up this game. I'm saying they won't.

Evolved1

VictimOfGrief said:
I went back 3 pages and re-read his posts.... I don't think I missed what he was saying. He basically is saying that he thinks Gearbox is going to f-up this game. I'm saying they won't.

Well, he's saying Gearbox is going to fuck up the game by making BiA:Aliens... while you think the game is going to be great because they're making BiA:Aliens.

:lol

Cruzader

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Wait...what?

Please answer this man's question. Its really important,
also are gamers gonna get boners when fighting the facehuggers? Just sayin.:D

and can we get some pics of the ladies who model their who ha for the movie/game.

recklessmind said:
Well, he's saying Gearbox is going to fuck up the game by making BiA:Aliens... while you think the game is going to be great because they're making BiA:Aliens.

:lol
His opinion, that's fine. Where did I say they were making Aliens just like they are BIA: HH? Elements perhaps but not the same. My main point is Gearbox knows how to do squad based FPS's so people should relax a little bit.

VictimOfGrief said:
His opinion, that's fine. Where did I say they were making Aliens just like they are BIA: HH? Elements perhaps but not the same. My main point is Gearbox knows how to do squad based FPS's so people should relax a little bit.

It's precisely that right there that bugs me. That they are going to take fucking Aliens and suffocate everything that is Aliens with this thick blanket of sterile squad combat and of course absolute focus on your squad mates. Now, the only way that'd could possibly even almost work in the context of aliens is if they severed all ties to "realistic" procedure and went with an action movie idea of squad combat. And given that this company has spent the past few years building up this image of itself as a go to company for the action documentary, what are the realistic chances of it cutting the leash and actually focusing on the primal aspects? I've already experienced an Aliens game from a company that certainly gets that primal aspect, and I don't relish seeing it replaced by the Gearbox style.

But hey, maybe they will pull it off. I'll keep doubting it, as I'm sure you will keep being absolutely certain that it will rock.

AltogetherAndrews said:
It's precisely that right there that bugs me. That they are going to take fucking Aliens and suffocate everything that is Aliens with this thick blanket of sterile squad combat and of course absolute focus on your squad mates. Now, the only way that'd could possibly even almost work in the context of aliens is if they severed all ties to "realistic" procedure and went with an action movie idea of squad combat. And given that this company has spent the past few years building up this image of itself as a go to company for the action documentary, what are the realistic chances of it cutting the leash and actually focusing on the primal aspects? I've already experienced an Aliens game from a company that certainly gets that primal aspect, and I don't relish seeing it replaced by the Gearbox style.

But hey, maybe they will pull it off. I'll keep doubting it, as I'm sure you will keep being absolutely certain that it will rock.

Under lying point is this : We don't know what the "complete" structure of the game is going to be. I would venture a guess that there are some "go off and search some rooms by yourself and run into your squad mates getting eaten or taken back to the hive".

I understand the point of the "gameplay" suffering at the hands of being "all squad" based but from the screens that we've seen and the info that I've read, I truly trust Gearbox to do the movie license justice.

I want the game to rock as much as you do--- the only difference is our opinion of how Gearbox is/should present the game.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Those swarm type events sound so much like every other "you are trapped in a lock room with hundred of baddies running at you, STAND YOUR GROUND". I hope they freshen them up again. I'm looking forward to the Alien blood. Hopefully it isn't scripted...

glaurung

Oldschoolgamer said:
Those swarm type events sound so much like every other "you are trapped in a lock room with hundred of baddies running at you, STAND YOUR GROUND". I hope they freshen them up again. I'm looking forward to the Alien blood. Hopefully it isn't scripted...

I just remembered where they used to have that "set-up-your-defense-perimeter" in an FPS - it was Unreal II and it was god awful.

I really want to like this game, but they are not making this easy.

Spoo

QTE are basically timed button presses in the context of a scripted sequence. If you've played Resident Evil 4, or God of War, you know what they are.

Difference is, there aren't going to be any ridiculous buttons stuck in the middle of the screen that tear your attention away from the action. Instead, there'll be subtle colors along the borders of the screen (indicating directional buttons, or something), so you should be able to do them without diverting your attention from what's going on.

I'm not a huge fan of them, but I like the way Gearbox is approaching them, anyway.

glaurung said:
I just remembered where they used to have that "set-up-your-defense-perimeter" in an FPS - it was Unreal II and it was god awful.

I really want to like this game, but they are not making this easy.
except all of Unreal 2 was awful.

the running down corridors shooting things bits were awful. that doesn't mean that running down corridors shooting things is a broken concept.

if you saw Aliens, how can you not want a chance to relive that awesome seige on LV426.

was the 'set up your defense perimeter' bit in Half Life 2 Episode 2 awful? i sure as hell didn't think so, and it didn't take a genius to guess where the inspiration for that came from.

Spoo said:
QTE are basically timed button presses in the context of a scripted sequence. If you've played Resident Evil 4, or God of War, you know what they are.

Difference is, there aren't going to be any ridiculous buttons stuck in the middle of the screen that tear your attention away from the action. Instead, there'll be subtle colors along the borders of the screen (indicating directional buttons, or something), so you should be able to do them without diverting your attention from what's going on.

I'm not a huge fan of them, but I like the way Gearbox is approaching them, anyway.
Seems like a cool idea and yes... Gearbox will pull this off very well.

Hammer24

Banned
The two worst ideas in modern day game design: QTE´s ("Dude, I´m outta ideas for game mechanics, lets put some QTE´s in") and multiplayer achievements (first you only get achievement whores "trading" those, then when the 360 flashmob has moved on, there is no real chance of getting them, so they are pointless). :(

I´ll still be there day one. I grew up with the Alien movies and want to revisit my teenage years fears. :D

Dyno

I look at the screens and I say "I've seen this shit in twenty other games already."

That's because the style of the movie was so good it was stolen ad nauseum.

So now when it's actually done for Aliens (no matter how good) it looks old.

And that's the bottom line. This game should have come out twenty years ago, back when this shit was relevant.

And really, it already did!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't mind quicktime events as long as they figure out a way to relay what they want you to do without putting button graphics on the screen. i actually think the way they're handling it here--subtle indications using color in the corners of the screen, etc.--is a pretty nice solution to creating a cinematic scene and keeping it interactive, without drawing you too much out of the experience. we'll see, though. execution is everything.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, it was pretty fucking terrible actually. Not only that, but it was a repeat for the series.

I truthfully cant stand that gameplay mechanic the one in HL2 drove me nuts and was used over and over one of the few parts that I wished was removed.

It could possible work for aliens if they are able to present it in a more suspenseful manner but I have my doubts.

Still think this game could be bad ass though.

Top Bottom