• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't understand why MS continues to fail to innovate in this area and are leaving this up to third parties and Steam.

What a stupid company.

wildfire

Banned
unnamed-2.jpg

I almost find it hard to believe it comes with some of these games for free. I knew about Payday but also Metro?

Considering how much fun Magicka is this is a lot of value for $550.

I don't understand why MS continues to fail to innovate in this area and are leaving this up to third parties and Steam.

What a stupid company.

It does seem that they could be doing more to drive demand and innovation in the space while at the same time reducing Linux/Steam OS from gaining market share.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

What a stupid company.

Because they'll come into the market when the market shows it actually has a market.

MS has never truly been a huge innovator.

It's far riskier to be the first to market than then the 2nd or 3rd.

Also, brand confusion. How do you make something that's open.. and looks like a console.. but isn't a console that isn't going to confuse the living shit out of Xbox customers.

There's already people confused over what the Alpha is. Just search outside GAF.. people wonder if it plays PS3/PS4/X360/X1 games.. etc.

Denton

Steam preinstalled isn't as important as it having full Windows (which would cost you $100) and the custom UI that makes booting into Steam BPM all done with a 360 controller.

When you really break it down:

$40 for controller.
$100 for Windows
$130 for Video Card

That's $270 of a $549 machine already.

So another $280 into the slick case, the ram and mobo/cpu.

Yes, the GPU isn't upgrade-able.. but that's expected. Though you'd be able to get a good few years out of this running most games at a respectable level.. and later use it to stream more power hungry games from your main PC.

As a secondary PC.. that's portable.. and TV ready? It's a pretty damn good deal honestly.

Well yeah, the Steam etc being preinstalled I mentioned from the comfort standpoint, that this is pretty much ready to go after buying, which is cool.
Also those free games are adding nice bit of value there.

Nzyme32

Woop, go mini PCs! I'm not too sure if now is the right time to be going for them, but I love the direction along with mitx machines. Looking forward to seeing how these sort of machines are iterated on in a few years time with beefier hardware at similar pricing

Pizza

Aw yeah! I've been excited about the idea of a pc "console" and this was the one I was most interested in! Glad to hear it's good for what it is!! I don't need all my games at max settings and the idea of a rad pc-console thing is real cool.

Add in the fact that within 6 months people will have figured out how to use the wiiu GameCube adapter on a pc this is so cool. Pc games with a wired controller working through a first-party adapter is way past cool. Especially for stuff like 8-player local games

I don't know. I imagine the PSU would limit some of the cards from being used. I'd check the X51 thread as those people would know better than myself.

edit: beaten. :)

You're right on the PSU limitation, though! I think it only comes with a 330W power adapter, so some cards need more juice than that.

wildfire

Banned
So for the PC guys that are more knowledgable, does this make more sense than an X51?

To put it roughly buying into the X51 is like paying a 25% premium on doing your own build which is worth it when you consider warranty issues can be handled by Alienware instead of you going to the parts makers.

The Alpha on the other hand is bundled with so much stuff that offers great value it ends up being far more cost effective than the X51. So you have to ask yourself if upgrading the GPU in the future which is important.

Denton

Eurogamer has posted a spec analysis!

"We came away from our meeting with Alienware intrigued by what the Alpha offers. We maintain that the GPU choice limits the overall options you have with the machine - even with the Core i7 CPU in place, you'll still be getting what is (by our terms) an entry-level enthusiast performance level - but if our experience with the desktop version of the GPU tells us anything, it's that you can still get some sensational results providing you're sensible with the graphics options. We still look back at our Crysis 3 testing with the GTX 750 Ti and the £45 Pentium G3258 with some fondness: we targeted and locked at 30fps, and this freed up enough CPU and GPU time for some simply beautiful visuals, allowing us to play the game with accomplished anti-aliasing on the high preset, just one 'notch' down from the overkill very high setting that challenges even the most potent graphics card. As long as you're realistic about settings, even a relatively modest GPU can still hand in some excellent results.

But it's the chassis that's the star of the show, and a major factor in any purchasing decision. The Alpha is miniscule and discrete, comparing favourably with ultra-compact mini-ITX PCs, but with significantly more CPU and GPU horsepower under the bonnet. It's also well geared towards living room integration in a way that many PCs aren't, thanks to the inclusion of an HDMI input, presumably for set-top box passthrough. Our overall impression is that this isn't going to be the games PC for everyone, but what we've seen looks quite promising."

If I see correctly that is a month old article...

with terrible comment section.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have a gaming rig and a capable MacBook... but honestly, I can see the allure of this.

I'd rather have this than the new $499 Mac Mini.

MercuryLS

Banned
The steam OS version should be cheaper right, since they don't have to pay for a Win 8 license? I think this thing will be really great around rev 3 or 4 where they can get a better GPU in the box at the $600-ish mark.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Is 2GB of gddr5 (+8GB ddr3) enough to be the better performing for multi-platform games until the end of this console cycle?

Does it somehow fit between the x1 and the PS4?

a $600 machine that can't keep up with a $400 machine (+$250 networking fees) is not a good deal.

a $600 machine that CAN keep up, one with ~6-8Gb of VRAM, that offers better-looking multiplats for the life of current-gen consoles? And gives you the flexibility of using PC programs? Now that sounds downright irresistible!

Verdict: don't but this one, buy revision B or C, whichever comes with over 6GB of ram.

Or start saving now and get a beastly VR PC when the Oculus comes out. (again, it'll need at least 6GB of gddr5).

Denton

They shouldn't bother with it. They're a medium sized software company. The controller alone should be enough for them.

Ideally they would do it with someone like Dell, brand it as official Valve Steam Machine, but let Dell manufacture it.
Obviously Valve is not going to buy manufacturing plants and what not.

shoplifter

I'm interested, but I think it's going to be a 'wait for the revision' type purchase. I'd like slightly more oomph in the box. Nice too see it performing pretty well for what he tested.

Heratiki

I would love to see if I could Hackintosh this device pretty easily. It would fulfill all of my worldly desires if possible.

Ordered one earlier this week. Initially I tried to order the x51 last week but Dell decided to delay it to who knows when. So cancelled that order and ended up going with the Alpha.

Amazon says it's shipped today. Should be at my doorsteps tomorrow afternoon (Friday).

I wouldn't mind fielding questions, tests, and other things concerning the Alpha once it's all set up.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Averaging 60fps means lots of dips below 60. It's amazing how many PC gamers struggle with that idea.

Anyway, this is a pretty good deal. I'd personally rather put up with a bigger black box, but it will have an audience.

Also, I'm surprised that so many GAFers don't know how huge graphics cards are these days.

Denton

This is what I wanted Xbox to be.
Me too. Instead MS went the route of closed console, shitting on PC, losing billions in the process.

I'll look into it. I've never owned a gaming pc, but I will see what I can safely do and post the results this weekend. :)
Looking forward to it.

Averaging 60fps means lots of dips below 60. It's amazing how many PC gamers struggle with that idea.
I don't think anybody struggles with that idea here. But dips into fifties are OK when triple buffering is enabled. What is unplayable are dips into thirties, those should be avoided. It is better to lock framerate to 30 than have 30-60 variation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm interested, but I think it's going to be a 'wait for the revision' type purchase. I'd like slightly more oomph in the box. Nice too see it performing pretty well for what he tested.

I'd actually like slightly less oomph in the box. An i3/i5 only option as a media streamer or steam home streaming client for $100 less would be perfect for me

Matty8787

So I am interested in the syber systems and seen a preorder at £599 which comes with an i3 and a 750ti. They say they are fully upgradeable so would consider putting in my 770 4gb.

It also says it comes with a 250w PSU which seems tiny. How does that work?

I might consider something like this in the future. my current pc is fine and I don't see the need to upgrade it. (Want to upgrade it is on going and will never end)

So I am interested in the syber systems and seen a preorder at £599 which comes with an i3 and a 750ti. They say they are fully upgradeable so would consider putting in my 770 4gb.

It also says it comes with a 250w PSU which seems tiny. How does that work?

I'm hoping that someone on GAF buys one as I'd like to see it get more coverage.

My console will be here tomorrow morning! I'm happy to answer any questions that I can. :)

It's weird that outside of Alienware's marketing some people actually refer to this as a console. It's just a custom PC. You can force Steam to boot up in big picture mode on a regular Windows PC. And if you want to play other big titles from other companies (AssCreed, Far Cry, Titanfall) you have to ditch your controller, go into desktop mode and start installing other clients.

This has nothing to do with consoles outside its form factor, but that would be calling laptop consoles too.

Seanspeed

Banned
Not necessarily. A game that is solid 60fps is also *averaging* 60fps.

Averaging 60fps could mean running at 1fps for 30 seconds and then 120fps for the next 30 seconds too, but it usually means a game is generally running around a pretty comfortable framerate. If a game is experiencing wild and fun-inhibiting fluctuations, that will usually be mentioned rather than saying 'averaging 60fps' even if its technically true.

It's weird that outside of Alienware's marketing some people actually refer to this as a console. It's just a custom PC. You can force Steam to boot up in big picture mode on a regular Windows PC. And if you want to play other big titles from other companies (AssCreed, Far Cry, Titanfall) you have to ditch your controller, go into desktop mode and start installing other clients.

This has nothing to do with consoles outside its form factor, but that would be calling laptop consoles too.

When I call it a PC people give me shit for it not being "a real PC" so I'm sticking with calling it a Steam console. :)

Top Bottom