• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All games should become first person shooters

antitrop

Uhh... you mean King's Field? Y'know, a previous RPG series by From Software that was the predecessor to Demon's Souls and was directly inspired by Ultima Underworld, one of the games in the OP? That first person Dark Souls?
Damn.

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Although, as right as you are, Demon's Souls is actually a great counterpoint to the OP.

DocSeuss

I saw that, but then I also saw that you classified Metroid Prime as an FPS. No worries, though. I understand what you were trying to do.

My suggestion is kind of boring, but I think it would be nice in this post-Metroid Prime world

Shadow Complex Prime:
The first one copied Super Metroid. It's time to copy Metroid Prime as well.

Still sad we never got to see that real first-person Megaman game.

Oooh, Shadow Complex would be interesting.

RedSwirl

Anything with multiple party members works better in isometric.

Trying to imagine Divinity: Original Sin as a FPS and yeah, doesn't really fit.

I can see making the argument for games where you control a single character (not saying I AGREE with the argument but I can see it being made) but when you have multiple party members I just don't see it.

I don't know man you do have first person dungeon crawlers (Etrian Odyssey, Dungeon Master, Grimrock, some Megami Tensei games, etc.).

mega-man-8-bit-deathmatch-12.jpg

Yeah, no.

I had no idea it was 1991.

RedSwirl

Damn.

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Although, as right as you are, Demon Souls is actually a great counterpoint to the OP.

It would have to be different in a lot of ways, but most of the basic elements of the game would still work.

The point is, a first person Souls game would pretty much be King's Field 5.

Damn.

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Although, as right as you are, Demon's Souls is actually a great counterpoint to the OP.

I also can't see something like Spec Ops the Line being better in FPS. You got to see his changes over time, the character break, not only in characer design over the course of the game but also animations, both which would be lacking in FPS. Of course Spec Ops is a exception and not a rule to most TPS.

antitrop

It would have to be different in a lot of ways, but most of the basic elements of the game would still work.

The point is, a first person Souls game would pretty much be King's Field 5.

All of the games in the OP are great examples of games being better serviced by a transition to a first-person perspective, but I think Demon's Souls is actually a great example of a series that was better served by a transition away from its first-person perspective.

reallyman

Neo Member
I dig FPS but isometric is always the answer for RPGs. I don't care about IMMERSHUN, I want to play god and get a birds eye view of the action. Fallout lost it's soul when it became Gamebryo'd.

So you've never played Rainbow Six? Totally works.

I have played Rainbow 6.

It does work, sure, but it's a little different to me. In an RPG you have to control all the characters at one point, where in R6 (at least the latest ones) you just issue vague commands to your team members.

For a turn-based RPG with multiple party members, I can only see it working if given the option to zoom out to an isometric viewpoint while issuing commands. Which would be fine, and as part of your thought exercise I can see that working well.

antitrop

I also can't see something like Spec Ops the Line being better in FPS. You got to see his changes over time, the character break, not only in characer design over the course of the game but also animations, both which would be lacking in FPS. Of course Spec Ops is a exception and not a rule to most TPS.

I disagree, Wolfenstein: The New Order does a great job at evolving BJ Blazkowicz through a first-person perspective.

Although, the concession there is that the game has a ton of cutscenes.

Muffdraul

Interestingly, some designers of space games have said that first-person VR won't take off because it causes a lot more cognitive dissonance or something when you're playing. It's very hard for the human brain to reconcile first-person body movement with not actually moving. Sitting in a cockpit and sitting in a chair is much easier.

OK, but I was specifically referring to the concept as it was 30 years ago. Back then, there was no notion of special goggles or being in an enclosed booth or whatever. It just meant an situation where you were interacting in first person instead of third person... moving and looking around an environment from the point of view of actually being in it. Not looking down on it and puppeteering your little avatar around. You were still just sitting in front of a computer monitor. "Virtual reality" referred to what was going on inside the computer, in the software.

All of the games in the OP are great examples of games being better serviced by a transition to a first-person perspective, but I think Demon's Souls is actually a great example of a series that was better served by a transition away from its first-person perspective.

I guess if you want the story and details specifically displayed via cutscenes, sure. I personally thing the little touchs in gameplay, characters, and animation go a lot further with me then just watching something persay. But fair enough.

I don't know man you do have first person dungeon crawlers (Etrian Odyssey, Dungeon Master, Grimrock, some Megami Tensei games, etc.).

Sure, but those games don't play anything like Divinity. Combat doesn't have near the range of mobility that you get with Divinity.

antitrop

as is thread titling

Thread titling is only meant to bring attention to the thread, posters should be debating the content in the OP, not the title.

There's actually a poster in the thread who spent their entire post trying to figure out the intentions of the OP based on the thread title, completely ignoring the fact that it's all spelled out there in the first sentence. Now that shit is fucking ridiculous.

I will never for the life of me understand what compels someone who enjoys something to think that EVERYTHING EVER should from now on be exactly like that one specific enjoyable thing. That would instantly defeat the purpose of it being enjoyable in the first place if everything was the same.

Tigress

I'm not actually arguing that all games should be first-person. I'm defending games that become first-person, and I'm asking people to suggest how games transitioning to first-person might work because I personally want to see more ways to approach FPSes. Think of this thread as a launching point to break out of the shooter paradigm.

Why not then just ask what can we do with FPS's to add more variety or what are some different ways of approaching FPS's? I don't think using a shock title is the best way of getting your point across ;).

Personally, I like the trend of adding more RPG elements into shooters, but I'm a tad bit biased (if you can't tell, RPG is my favorite genre. Which is why this year has sucked for me when it comes to games :(. Can't wait til Witcher 3).

But more crafting elements. I'd love to see it where you loot for stuff to craft better guns. Maybe even make it so that you can't collect new guns, you have to collect parts to make these new guns (and even better, make it so you have to discover the formulas for new guns by trial and error). I'd love a mechanic like that in FPS's, it would make the FPS far more addictive to me (I like looting and crafting and I love having to discover how to make something even if it means I cheat and look it up on the net. I loved the crafting in New Vegas but even then I think it could have been improved some <- let me experiment with crafting things rather than make me find a formula before I craft it).

And of course the trend for adding powers/skills. I prefer how Borderlands does it than Destiny (destiny just seems like as you play you get new powers. Borderlands felt more like you had to decide which upgrades you wanted and aim your character towards how you wanted to play it. At least in the alpha it just seemed destiny would just give me a power and there was no reason to save my points for another power).

Any other changes I think I'd make would probably just change the game to an RPG rather than add elements ;). As I said, I'm a tad bit biased.

And here I was thinking all games should be third-person platformers first and foremost, because there is not better way to interact with the environment than jumping around it. For instance, I prefer smash bros more than regular fighting games because it has platforming elements that make it more fun.

Jay Sosa

I agree to the extent that all games should have a FP option. Suikoden 4 was so damn amazing in first person. And I absolutely agree that every TPS should be a FPS instead, especially if the camera is super close to the character anyway.

I think a adventure game similar to something like Tomb Raider or Uncharted would be pretty awesome in FPS, with perhaps mirros edge platforming, etc. Just would be tough to pull off but a genre I'd like to see in FPS glory!

DocSeuss

OK, but I was specifically referring to the concept as it was 30 years ago. Back then, there was no notion of special goggles or being in an enclosed booth or whatever. It just meant an situation where you were interacting in first person instead of third person... moving and looking around an environment from the point of view of actually being in it. Not looking down on it and puppeteering your little avatar around. You were still just sitting in front of a computer monitor. "Virtual reality" referred to what was going on inside the computer, in the software.

Sure. I just thought it was a neat tidbit to pass along.

Getting some mixed messages here.

using hyperbole to provoke thought and then move to a more moderate stance explaining the non-hyperbolic opinion

Why not then just ask what can we do with FPS's to add more variety or what are some different ways of approaching FPS's? I don't think using a shock title is the best way of getting your point across ;).

Personally, I like the trend of adding more RPG elements into shooters, but I'm a tad bit biased (if you can't tell, RPG is my favorite genre. Which is why this year has sucked for me when it comes to games :(. Can't wait til Witcher 3).

But more crafting elements. I'd love to see it where you loot for stuff to craft better guns. Maybe even make it so that you can't collect new guns, you have to collect parts to make these new guns (and even better, make it so you have to discover the formulas for new guns by trial and error). I'd love a mechanic like that in FPS's, it would make the FPS far more addictive to me (I like looting and crafting and I love having to discover how to make a gun even if it means I cheat and look it up on the net).

And of course the trend for adding powers/skills. I prefer how Borderlands does it than Destiny (destiny just seems like as you play you get new powers. Borderlands felt more like you had to decide which upgrades you wanted and aim your character towards how you wanted to play it. At least in the alpha it just seemed destiny would just give me a power and there was no reason to save my points for another power).

Any other changes I think I'd make would probably just change the game to an RPG rather than add elements ;). As I said, I'm a tad bit biased.

'cause I wanted to try a new approach to something I've done before. I felt like "what if [this game I like] became an FPS, how would that look like?" might be a better way to approach it than "what do other games do that FPSes should do." Last time I asked that one specifically, the only answer I remember getting was "dodge."

I was actually talking to Orayn about crafting guns in a world where the player can't wield magic, so goes around finding magic items and building magical guns out of it. An upcoming piece I've been commissioned to do is actually gonna deal with some of the pitfalls of gun crafting though, with a game that did it--and failed miserably as a result.

Borderlands' skill trees feel muted to me. Not sure how to explain.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'd be down for turning every game into an FPS and then just dumping all of those games and the people who decided to turn them into FPS into a fire. Is that compatible with your position? I think we have a lot of common ground.

Jingo

Saying that all games should be fps is extremely selfish, games must come
In all shapes for types of tastes, this is like saying everyone shoul wear yellow (yikkeeees)

antitrop

Saying that all games should be fps is extremely selfish, games must come
In all shapes for types of tastes, this is like saying everyone shoul wear yellow (yikkeeees)

But are there any well-established game franchises that are not currently presented in the first-person that may, perhaps, benefit from such a transition in a future sequel or spiritual successor?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is a pretty good thread, and I can't help but agree with your points. Turning a franchise into an FPS isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's all about the execution. Metroid Prime and Duke3D are fantastic examples of this.

Can't think of any idea of my own, sadly.

DocSeuss

This is a pretty good thread, and I can't help but agree with your points. Turning a franchise into an FPS isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's all about the execution. Metroid Prime and Duke3D are fantastic examples of this.

Can't think of any idea of my own, sadly.

Hm.

Assassin's Creed. Shoot.

antitrop

Hm.

Assassin's Creed. Shoot.

If they nail the body awareness and sense of motion down as well as Mirror's Edge did (but it's Ubisoft, so it would just feel like a cheap imitation of a better developer's concept), then there could definitely be something there.

DocSeuss

If they nail the body awareness and sense of motion down as well as Mirror's Edge did (but it's Ubisoft, so they wouldn't), then there could definitely be something there.

Couple it with the aural stealth of Thief and you've actually got the makings of a great open world stealth game. Looking to Dishonored for the swordfighting might be good, or, even better, Shadow Warrior, except that the 'magic' in Shadow Warrior could be various skills in AC, like, I dunno, stabbing a dude while your swords are locked.

Andrew.

Banned
Whenever I see a DocSeuss thread I know Im heading towards Thesis Land.

Good argument though and I wouldve shit myself as a kid had that first person Megaman game really existed.

jem0208

FPS games have always been my favourite. That isn't to say I don't like other genres. I pretty much always prefer first person to third person though.

Tigress

I was actually talking to Orayn about crafting guns in a world where the player can't wield magic, so goes around finding magic items and building magical guns out of it. An upcoming piece I've been commissioned to do is actually gonna deal with some of the pitfalls of gun crafting though, with a game that did it--and failed miserably as a result.

Borderlands' skill trees feel muted to me. Not sure how to explain.

I'd be curious if it failed because the market for FPS's just doesn't respond well to that, or if the idea just inherently is bad for the genre (like it doesn't mix well).

And what do you mean muted (Sorry, just not understanding what you meant by that)? I just know that Borderlands 2 felt more like it was making me manage my skill points to figure out what to upgrade vs. Destiny where it felt like you just gained a skill as you went (There was no reason not to add a skill. I'm not even sure why they had you say add that skill cause why wouldn't you?). Honestly, overall Borderlands 2 felt more like a shooter with RPG elements than Destiny did. Destiny felt more like a shooter with maybe some nods to RPG like elements (but with things that seemed like if they expanded on would have had a lot of potential. The two things I listed as improvements on FPS were ideas I got playing Destiny). It might also have to do with Borderlands felt like it more had a story I cared about as well (I really didn't get why I should care about Destiny's story). Doesn't hurt that I think Handsome Jack is my favorite game villain ever :).

Eusis

Yeah, I thought how funny it is that Demon's Souls is basically an inversion of what he was going for. It's not even "start as something else, go first person, go back" it's "start first person, get many first person games out there directly and indirectly related, go third person." Although I think with some more modern controls (good movement and left stick move/right stick look mainly) they could probably make a really great King's Field that better stood the test of time.

Anyways, as hyperbolic as the OP was I think the key problem is that not enough people try doing things sufficiently different and mindlessly turn some games into FPSes. Even some of the better examples are kind of like this, while Fallout wasn't really made into an FPS it WAS basically put into Oblivion's mold and tweaked for the new setting and adapting the leveling/skill system of Fallout. Ideally most attempts to go first person/shooter would be more about properly adapting what made a series special and make that work from a new perspective, much like Metroid Prime did rather than being a Metroid themed Doom/Halo clone. First person seems to have a lot of potential variety that isn't as well utilized as it should be, or at least certain types of games don't seem to catch on as much as I'd like them to (System Shock, Bioshock 1&2, Metroid Prime, Deus Ex.)

To try to actually be more useful and on topic, what about The Lost Vikings in first person? I'm trying to think of something similar done in first person but I can't remember anything right now. Only thing that comes to mind is Project Eden, though it's in third person.

I suppose any first person game that gives you a team of several characters, each with a special skill or purpose that lets you shift between them on the fly, in real time, and has the levels and core gameplay designed around those skills.

Tactical games like SWAT 4 sound a bit like that I guess. There was an indie game where you control a squad in real time, with monitors on the screen showing what each of the squadmates is doing, but I can't remember the name.

Eusis

Ace Attorney FPS. Take that, law.
You already have that though. Like, every game outside of the court room and the Investigations series is this.

Well, maybe not the shooter bit, but I guess you could imagine them pointing at every bit of evidence they find

Top Bottom