• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All games should become first person shooters

To try to actually be more useful and on topic, what about The Lost Vikings in first person? I'm trying to think of something similar done in first person but I can't remember anything right now. Only thing that comes to mind is Project Eden, though it's in third person.

I suppose any first person game that gives you a team of several characters, each with a special skill or purpose that lets you shift between them on the fly, in real time, and has the levels and core gameplay designed around those skills.

Tactical games like SWAT 4 sound a bit like that I guess. There was an indie game where you control a squad in real time, with monitors on the screen showing what each of the squadmates is doing, but I can't remember the name.

Signal Ops

iron%20sights-620x.jpg

Feel like I should give it a go.

antitrop

First Person Homeworld or Command and Conquer? No... just no.

Command and Conquer: Renegade had a lot of potential. Its concept was not the fatal flaw.

Same with StarCraft, they almost made a TPS out of it, which easily could have been done from the first-person perspective, as well. I can very easily conceptualize a StarCraft FPS where you play as Jim Raynor.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Instead of posting and demanding that ALL game should become first person shooters, OP instead should have posted that some game should have first person camera view as an option.

That way people who can't play First person game due to getting seasick can at least still play them.

Are you guys serious with that first page? I mean... this just proves.... I don't even have words. You just justified all the Aliens Colonial Marines, Bioshock Infinites and all these pointlessly FPS games.

I really hope this is a very dark satire thread.

I fucking hope so.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hm.

Assassin's Creed. Shoot.
To be honest, I don't like that franchise. A game that could have worked in first person is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It sounds kinda like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but I'd be fine with that.

And I can easily picture Tomb Raider 2013 turned into an FPS. That bow would have been great, and full body awareness could turn platforming into something similar to Mirror's Edge.

Are you guys serious with that first page? I mean... this just proves.... I don't even have words. You just justified all the Aliens Colonial Marines, Bioshock Infinites and all these pointlessly FPS games.

I really hope this is a very dark satire thread.

I fucking hope so.
Didn't you read the OP? It uses hyperbole to present a perfectly valid point of view (pun not intended).

DocSeuss

Tigress, didn't forget you. I mean, I did, but I'm writing a response when I feel like I can explain.

Tiberium.jpg

Remember Tiberium? Never got made.

Instead of posting and demanding that ALL game should become first person shooters, OP instead should have posted that some game should have first person camera view as an option.

That way people who can't play First person game due to getting seasick can at least still play them.

OP could have done those things, yes, or you could have read OP and realized he wasn't talking about any of those things you said. He was illustrating a point through exaggeration, and you got hung up on the exaggeration and missed the point of the thread. I know words can be hard to read, but forums are generally about using words to talk about things.

To be honest, I don't like that franchise. A game that could have worked in first person is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It sounds kinda like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but I'd be fine with that.

And I can easily picture Tomb Raider 2013 turned into an FPS. That bow would have been great, and full body awareness could turn platforming into something similar to Mirror's Edge.

Oh MAN, Tomb Raider but like Mirror's Edge would have been incredible. That gives me so many ideas.

KHlover

Banned
First Person Smash would be sick!

bo1BoHJ.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGhmF_rlniQ

Approriate gif. Not because experiencing getting launched makes you sick but because the game mode is so bad that I would have liked to puke after playing it...

It isn't? It has puzzles and the morph ball segments, but I don't see what other general genre it fits in without going into Capcom/Konami levels up conjured genres (Survival Panic,Tactical espionage action). Metroidvania is a community designation.
It's a First-Person Adventure game. Legitimate genre

You already have that though. Like, every game outside of the court room and the Investigations series is this.

Well, maybe not the shooter bit, but I guess you could imagine them pointing at every bit of evidence they find

True, but since OP specified FPS aka a 'shooter' ... I guess maybe it would become a first person L.A Noire type ordeal. ]:

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
After I got over the nausea of the OP's suggestion....

...I am legitimately curious what an FPS jRPG would be like.

DocSeuss

True, but since OP specified FPS aka a 'shooter' ... I guess maybe it would become a first person L.A Noire type ordeal. ]:

Well, to quote the OP's first two sentences:

As the title says, everything should make the transition to first person. Ideally, as a first-person shooter, but I'm not really picky.

And then I go on to indicate that I'm being completely hyperbolic.

So y'know, nonshooting is fine.

I was too. It's why I made the thread. "HEY RADICAL IDEA--okay, so, not being SO radical... seriously, what might this be like?" I mean, at the very least, we can think about stuff we normally don't think about, and that leads to interesting stuff, yeah?

It isn't? It has puzzles and the morph ball segments, but I don't see what other general genre it fits in without going into Capcom/Konami levels up conjured genres (Survival Panic,Tactical espionage action). Metroidvania is a community designation.

Action-Adventure (First Person perspective)

Really interesting idea, and a shame people just cant see past hyperbole, or even read the OP completely.
Well, seeing what games like Zeno Clash did with combat, i think a more deep fighting game could work in a first person perspective, either fast paced, or in "slow motion".
I'm trying to find source on this(as in if it really exists), but in the manga HunterXHunter, there's a fighting trainng technique called "Rurubu", where fighters battle in slow motion, to observe the cadence of moves. Could sorta work as in a turn based fighting game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped playing metroid when it became a FPS game. I hate FPS games.
Oh man, you're missing on 3 incredible games. I hope you can give them a chance at some point.

Oh MAN, Tomb Raider but like Mirror's Edge would have been incredible. That gives me so many ideas.
Glad to help! I'll try to think of other things, if I can.

Why not? You could make investigations play in first person, with the player moving through the different environments, collecting evidence. If you want to change it a bit more, you could make some evidence missable, which would in turn make the trial harder to beat (if at all). Of course, for this to work the game would need to break with the linearity of the franchise and have more than one way to refute the witnesses' testimonies.

It could even allow different possibilities for the same outcome, such as winning the trial by proving your client is innocent, or that a different person is guilty, or that the crime didn't even happen. Basically I'm thinking of a completely non-linear Ace Attorney, maybe even a sandbox game.

Zocano

First, I want to say I'm really glad to see you up and about Doc. I legitimately get worried when I don't see you posting around for good chunks of times and hope that you're doing okay. I actually had a bookmark of all your discussions at Kotaku way back when because you always put so much thought into what you post (and I usually agreed with what you said). Also I had a link to your blog (also way back when) but it has been lost to the ether (although I recall "three" being in the name).

I really hope you're doing managing okay and getting by as best and as happily as you can.

Anyway, fanboying done.

This is one of the things I remember you discussing the most back at Kotaku and probably one of the few I felt most strongly about as well.

I love shooters. I love them a lot. Halo is by and far my favorite franchise (and Halo 3 is still my favorite among them even though I think Halo CE has the strongest level design, story, pacing, etc.). My friends joke how much I adore the franchise.

It's a shame, then, that we don't have enough singleplayer Arena(-esque in Halo's case) shooters. Quake 2 is one of my absolute favorite single player campaigns and I very much wish we could have more of the like.

First Person Shooter can actually be a very very diverse genre (and I'd say the strongest and most interesting of them). We just don't quite see enough variance. I would say the biggest and most marketed two (Battlefield and Call of Duty), although unique in their own rights, have seemed to swallow the genre and force out other interesting takes first person shooters. Either you play like one of those or you don't bother making one. We don't see First Person Shooters even attempting weird approaches like Republic Commando (absolutely fantastic game).

We've seen a resurgence of stealth with First Person games (which is great) but it would be nice to see even more variance. Another Metroid Prime-esque game maybe. My dream game would be a game like encompassing Metroid Prime's atmosphere and exploratory-based level design with Halo's near-perfect combat design.

And honestly we just aren't getting a lot. We're starting to just get third person narrative driven experience (a-la Uncharted). And as much as I enjoy the combat and movement of Uncharted, they don't quite have the control and combat design that the best shooters have given us.

Can I please get Quake 5? Maybe the next Doom will satiate me.

The campaign out against the First Person Shooter genre seems pretty asinine to me when people really only home in on two franchises from that genre.

edit: Also to take a jab for the sake of it, Third Person Stealth has always been pretty eh and unsatisfying (specifically Metal Gear Solid). Kojima has really neat approaches to overall game design (by adding so so so many weird intricate subsystems that all interact with each other, but the base of the game, the actual third person stealthing around, has always felt really sluggish and unexciting.

On the other hand, Dishonored was one of the best stealth games out in recent years.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'll be waiting how you play Civilization as a fps.

Ramza

Banned

Jump between units on the map, easy as that. A world view can be brought up on a subscreen that coincided with the technology of the time (parchment, scroll map, book, PDA, etc).

Came in expecting a pretty weak argument but was pleasantly surprised. Wonder how fps fighting games like naruto storm 3 and street fighter would look like. Also fps sonic would be cool.

Mman235

Since beyond the hyperbole the OP's idea is that First-Person games should experiment with more concepts I agree. Third-Person games should as well!

At this point someone ripping off Mirror Edge's mechanics and melding it with Tomb Raider's concept is the only hope I have left of someone resurrecting the original style of the series.

Phades

The fictional game worlds of .//hack, sword art online (gun gale online in particular), accel world, log horizion, etc would be a close parity to that.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If this were true, strategy as a concept in games would disappear. You'd be left only with tactics.
You know guys, this is actually the point of the thread. To discuss how this could work, or how you would do it if you were asked to make this game.

It even says so in the last paragraph of the OP: "I think it might be fun if we talked about what games might actually make for unique first-person experiences. [...] For that matter, if you could translate a first-person shooter into another genre, what would you do?"

I can't imagine how I could turn those games into an FPS, but it would be interesting hearing about it if someone could.

Eusis

phantasystar1.jpg

Though the overworld in Phantasy Star was top-down.

EDIT: Also a lot of Shin Megam Tensei games are first person.
This makes me think it'd be nice if more of them took cues from Wizardry 8 rather than the older ones. Didn't get very far in that at all, but I'd like to see some full range first person movement (with towns damnit, this is what makes something like Shining the Holy Ark a lot more engaging than most other first person dungeon crawlers to me!) rather than just sticking to grid based movement. Especially with the other non-EO ones popping up, EO's got the grid based angle VERY well covered and lacking grids would make map making a little annoying, while most other games just use an auto map anyway.

Jay Sosa

Absolutely brilliant. I think we can all agree Suikoden 4 wasn't all that great. But the simple reason you could play the entire game in FP made it so much better and way more enjoyable.

Ramza

Banned
This makes me think it'd be nice if more of them took cues from Wizardry 8 rather than the older ones. Didn't get very far in that at all, but I'd like to see some full range first person movement (with towns damnit, this is what makes something like Shining the Holy Ark a lot more engaging than most other first person dungeon crawlers to me!) rather than just sticking to grid based movement. Especially with the other non-EO ones popping up, EO's got the grid based angle VERY well covered and lacking grids would make map making a little annoying, while most other games just use an auto map anyway.

Wizardry 8 is an extremely underrated game. The first person movement in real time worked great, and the transition into turn based during battle worked perfect. Reminded me of a first person KOTOR or Dragon Age.

Phades

Time conversion (i'm thinking match sets being progressive with real time components for construction and between matches having large jumps in time, or go persisting world with it and just accellerated simulation of real time with server restarts.) would have to occur, in addition to playing a command role rather than simply a soldier with some kind of tactical overlay for issuing base orders to npcs. Think tribes tac map markers/options and targeting tie ins with a star craft vibe to it. For the actual action part it would probably feel like a musou crossover with planetside in terms of scale. Progressive terrain/building generation, etc.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility, but not as simple or straight forward like a grand scale turn based strategy format.

Still sad we never got to see that real first-person Megaman game.

Oooh, Shadow Complex would be interesting.

Whenever I see a DocSeuss thread I know Im heading towards Thesis Land.

Good argument though and I wouldve shit myself as a kid had that first person Megaman game really existed.

I just watched the footage for that Megaman fps again and my heart shrunk. WHY DIDN'T THIS COME OUT?!! I hate Capcom.

Sakujou

Banned
i get bored in a second because if that generic fps-view.

i want games lik devil may cry or uncharted. all the time. ALWAYS.

rjc571

Banned
All games should become third person 3D platformers. Every game in the OP would have been so much better if it involved jumping around in happy, colorful obstacle courses, rather than mindlessly shooting waves of enemies in "realistic" game worlds devoid of color and personally,

I dont think anything should be first person until they fix the problem of no peripheral vision.

Being able to change Field of View settings on PC games makes FPSes a lot more bearable than on consoles. Virtual reality is the greatest solution for this though.

Paracelsus

Then you want me to stop gaming for good. I really don't like First Person Anything, I barely tolerate fps because the offer as far as tps is concerned is beyond mediocre.

Top Bottom