• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation First Party Studios Are Reportedly Focused On PlayStation 5 As Lead Platform - How do you rate Sony's PS4 Generation?

Rolla

Banned

The significance of Ghost Of Tsushima can't be understated because by all accounts, it's the last exclusive release from PlayStation where PS4 is the lead platform. By all accounts and job listings every PlayStation first party studio is now targetting PS5 as the lead platform.

Which means, in effect, the PS4 generation ended today. All be it unofficially in regards to focus, exclusives, marketing, support etc etc.

If so, how do you rate Sony's PlayStation 4 generation?

Last edited:
Can some dev or someone in the know shed some light on this "lead platform" thing?

For first-party Sony dev, pretty obvious they'll all shift their focus towards the PS5. Nothing new here.

PS4 has been a 7/10 for me.

Last edited:

Gee

I liked it better than the ps3, but not as much as the ps2and I'm still happy with the graphics my base unit is providing. Having said that I'm looking forward to the ps5 as a big upgrade as this will also be the moment I'm swapping my 1080p panny for an LG oled model.

I don't have an Xbox mainly due to time constraints so I can't give an honest comparison in that area. I do have a switch but that scratches a different itch.

Hostile_18

Banned
Its been the best generation ever for me. Partly for its exclusives and partly because the majority of the best games from previous generations have been brought over.

Its strange to think Playstation 5 will be my favorite console of all time Day 1 if its 99% backwards compatible.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
If we're talking Sony published games only then it's been an incredible generation in my opinion and probably their best one yet.

I'm not gonna bother listing all the games because there are way too many but just scroll through the best rated PS4 games on metacritic and see how many are published by Sony.

If there is weakness to be found then it's in the lack of exclusive big budget AAA online shooters and no real Gran Turismo entry. Other than that it's been an incredible generation.

9/10

Rudius

8/10 in terms of Sony first party. They should have kept the Driveclub developers and bought Ready at Dawn. I also wanted a bit more VR high budget exclusives and ports.

That said, the games we did get are among the best of this generation, in a quantity superior to the competition.

Ellery

Doesn't get much better than The Last of Us Part II, God of War, Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne. Those games are good enough to be in all time top 5 favorite lists and then we have even more games that are absolutely amazing.

I think I would rate the PS4 generation as a 9.4/10

I have to take some points away from Playstation for the PS4 fan noise, the battery in the controller and overall build quality of the console. Could be a bit better, but the games more than make up for it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Obvious? Expect them to still release most games on PS4 for the next few years. They would be dumb not too.

The 1st party stuff won't be, never has, as far as I can remember. You didn't see KZ: Shadowfall on PS3, or Resistance on PS2, or TimeSplitters on PS1.

Admittedly they could probably do that now more than ever, but they won't. They're not in a position where they need to.

Last edited:
Pretty solid generation for them, not spectacular though. After all Microsoft pretty much lost any momentum before the consoles launched. (I actually think ms had the better journey as a company this generation) and Sony were repenting for the ps3

Love my pro and thought the ‘non Betamax video’ shaped xboxes were fantastic to look at and of design. As was the base PS4) , but mistakes were made and now that we are seeing more and more cross play, then I am hopeful that these sort of long term boundaries are being pushed and reset

Overall i think for Sony this turned into a testing the future generation.

What worked, what didn’t and what has guided their thinking and goals on this eve of the new generation (thinking psvr is going to a real moment to shine in the next couple of years)

But ms look back in the game and seem back focused on games and gamer value (where is my Kinect and tv, tv, tv talks !!?? 😱🤣)

Not sure about what some of the crazy sounding die hard on both sides are saying. I think this new gen will mostly be closer than the last)

FranXico

8/10 for me. The PS4 was a better console than the PS3, overall, despite not all features carrying over.

The introduction of paid online still stings though. But by giving up online multiplayer on console I did enjoy more single player games.

Rolla

Banned
Doesn't get much better than The Last of Us Part II, God of War, Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne. Those games are good enough to be in all time top 5 favorite lists and then we have even more games that are absolutely amazing.

I think I would rate the PS4 generation as a 9.4/10

I have to take some points away from Playstation for the PS4 fan noise, the battery in the controller and overall build quality of the console. Could be a bit better, but the games more than make up for it.

I have gamed since the Sega Mega Drive but it wasn't until this generation that Sony's exclusive out put had me gripping the controller tight as fuck. The PS4 fan noise definitely deserves some deduction in terms of score. But yeah 9.4/10 sounds about right.

And I write that as I wait impatiently on Ghost Of Tsushima to be delivered some time today.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The 1st party stuff won't be, never has, as far as I can remember. You didn't see KZ: Shadowfall on PS3, or Resistance on PS2, or TimeSplitters on PS1.

Admittedly they could probably do that now more than ever, but they won't. They're not in a position where they need to.
I think they plan to do this, but are being coy to keep up the new generation marketing angle. This will be the first time the consoles share the same architecture, I don't see why Sony would ignore the PS4 for all their titles. So far isn't Miles Morales the only 1st party game confirmed to be PS5 only?

Ellery

I have gamed since the Sega Mega Drive but it wasn't until this generation that Sony's exclusive out put had me gripping the controller tight as fuck. The PS4 fan noise definitely deserves some deduction in terms of score. But yeah 9.4/10 sounds about right.

And I write that as I wait impatiently on Ghost Of Tsushima to be delivered some time today.

Hope you are having a great time with it. I think the game looks fantastic from what I have seen. I have to be a bit careful with money right now and I am a bit burned out on big open world games so I will wait a little bit until I buy it later this year or next year.

sublimit

Banned
I would have loved a bit more focus on Japanese games. Bloodborne,The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush were all great and i appreciate the variety of genres Sony's studios have offered this gen but i want more Japanese games with stylized art and unique gameplay.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So they're basically gonna dump PS4? Is that it?

giphy.gif

PS4 generation gets a solid 8/10 for me. Can't beat that PS2 era yet.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Pretty good. 2=?1>(Vita)>4>3 is probably right for me.
I've shifted pretty heavily to PC these days though compared to my console youth days, so consoles just haven't been as big to me. Persona 5 Royal is pretty good though. Bloodborne is probably my favorite game from the console.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
The Last Of Us: Part II
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Marvel's Spider-Man
The Last Guardian
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Death Stranding
Bloodborne
God of War
DriveClub
Dreams
Days Gone
Until Dawn
The Order 1886
Gravity Rush 2
Detroit: Become Human
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Shadow of the Colossus
Astro-Bot: Rescue Mission
Wipeout: Omega Collection
Gran Turismo: Sport
Ratchet & Clank
Hidden Agenda
Helldivers
Alienation
Resogun
Erica

Come and tell me that this hasn't been Sony's best output in terms of first-party content in their entire history. You can't because the amount of great and innovative new IPs, new franchises with tons of potential, great sequels and blasts from the past on that list is undeniable.

Aion002

9 out of 10.

So many excellent new games: Days Gone, Nioh 1 and 2, Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last Guardian, Matterfall, Resogun, Tetris Effect, Death Stranding, Horizon ZD are the ones I liked most.

And returnig series: Uncharted 4 and LL, God of War, GT Sport, Infamous SS, Gravity Rush 2, Wipeout Omega Collection, TLU2!

The only things missing were Siren and Socom.... If they released those it would be a 10/10 in games!

Last edited:
For me, it ended on great terms. There were some hit or miss games, but it's hard to complain when Playstation had exclusives to most tastes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The significance of Ghost Of Tsushima can't be understated because by all accounts, it's the last exclusive release from PlayStation where PS4 is the lead platform. By all accounts and job listings every PlayStation first party studio is now targetting PS5 as the lead platform.

Which means, in effect, the PS4 generation ended today. All be it unofficially in regards to focus, exclusives, marketing, support etc etc.

If so, how do you rate Sony's PlayStation 4 generation?

Stellar, from the game they published and made to the ones they supported and nurtured giving them a spotlight at E3 and other venues. Great first party variety and very high quality.

sublimit

Banned
Also i wonder if we'll see more exclusive games from their studios now that they will not have to divide development for handheld games like they did this generation with PS Vita.

Logic says that with PS5 being their only system we will see even more games because a lot of PSVita exclusives never came to PS4 (Killzone,Uncharted GA,Soul Sacrifice,Freedom Wars,Oreshika and many others)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think they plan to do this, but are being coy to keep up the new generation marketing angle. This will be the first time the consoles share the same architecture, I don't see why Sony would ignore the PS4 for all their titles. So far isn't Miles Morales the only 1st party game confirmed to be PS5 only?

None of the promo material for Ratchet or Horizon 2 mentions PS4, it just won't happen. It's not Sony's approach at all, they're in a position where they've sold a shitzillion PS4s already, they want people to trade those in towards a PS5 and get into the new generation. Microsoft's approach is totally different and it makes sense for them having sold nowhere close to PS4, their strategy is to get people into the ecosystem however possible and get them subbed to Game Pass.

Zannegan

More misses than hits for me this gen, but I still have a few first party games I have to play before I retire the system. I'm looking forward to playing GoT for sure.

They finished in an amazing fashion. I still don't like the online structure the Sony brand operates on and I still preferred multiplat/multiplayer games on my Xbox One. Then again this generation saw me draw down my multiplayer games and go back to single player games/rpgs so they delivered for me

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
None of the promo material for Ratchet or Horizon 2 mentions PS4, it just won't happen. It's not Sony's approach at all, they're in a position where they've sold a shitzillion PS4s already, they want people to trade those in towards a PS5 and get into the new generation. Microsoft's approach is totally different and it makes sense for them having sold nowhere close to PS4, their strategy is to get people into the ecosystem however possible and get them subbed to Game Pass.
I think they are being coy. They announced MM was, so why not the others? They are not just going to ignore that 120 million install base.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Bloodborne happened on PS4, therefore it is the best console of all time, with the best first party output of all time. Q.E.D.

9/10.

Sony are now up there with Nintendo for the quality of their first party output, with this gen seeing the greatest variety and quality ever in their releases.

There’s room for improvement, more multiplayer, shooters, JRPG's and getting racers back on top form, but if next gen is just a repeat of this gen, it’ll be phenomenal.

turtlepowa

Banned
If i was a fan of story driven 3rd person action adventure singleplayer games 11/10
Since i'm not 7/10 or maybe 8/10 just because of Astro Bot

For me nothting beats the PS2.

REE Machine

Banned
Ps4 has been a 8.5 out of 10. Lots of quality games and titles with upcoming sequels, but there were some games that didnt do as great as people expected and thats ok. Sony had a way better generation than last next in terms of quality. Hope they keep this up next gen

ZywyPL

Banned
It's PS2>PSX>PS3>PS4 in my books, PS4 was easily the worst, lowest effort Sony ever pulled out, on both software and hardware side.

As far as generation ending goes, far from it, just ask EA, Ubi, Acti, Bethesda etc., I mean, c'mon people, 2013-2015 wasn't THAT long ago, you guys forgot how cross-generation period looks like, how long it takes?

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
To me, it's been horribly disappointing - not just the PS4, but the whole generation. Wildly excessive emphasis on how things look rather than how they play, "online first" shit, MTX, GaaS. If I had to pick a single console generation that I could never again play any of the games from it would unhesitatingly be the most recent one.

Of, course, there have still been some great games, but they are pretty much submerged in a tsunami of trash. I also don't see this getting any better - PS5/XBX just seem to be promising more of the same fucking shit but with better graphics.

Hunnybun

I'd give them an 8/10.

Great console that produced graphics way better than it had any right to, and an incredibly high standard of exclusives. PSVR is an excellent and surprisingly well supported product, too.

I'd knock off points because the first couple of years suffered from a lack of exclusives, and even later on I think their output of 2 or 3 big games a year is a bit on the thin side.

And I think the PS4 Pro should have been a premium product (surely that's obvious) at $499 around the level of the 1X. Also, they really should have supported their own first party titles with Pro upgrades. That genuinely surprised me. Stuff like Driveclub and Bloodborne (everything really) should have had patches.

Oh, and I'm still pissed off they closed Evolution and Gurrilla Cambridge. Two good studios that could've really helped fill out their exclusive line up.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Obvious? Expect them to still release most games on PS4 for the next few years. They would be dumb not too.
It happens with every new console. Why are people acting like buying a new console to play new technologically advanced games is something new

Top Bottom