• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation First Party Studios Are Reportedly Focused On PlayStation 5 As Lead Platform - How do you rate Sony's PS4 Generation?

Hudo

I'd rate Sony's first-party output a solid 6/10. They really need to invest in new studios or in studios that dare to do something else than cinematic experiences (like Japan Studio). I'm not discrediting cinematic experiences, there are many people who like those type of games but they don't do anything for me.

That being said, Microsoft's first-party output wasn't better this gen. But at least they've gone forward and invested quite a lot of money into their first-party structure. Well and Nintendo, while having a relatively good output on Wii U in terms of quality titles, they had the problem that Wii U had no legs whatsoever.

So this whole gen was rather disappointing. I think Sony peaked with PS2.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think they are being coy. They announced MM was, so why not the others? They are not just going to ignore that 120 million install base.

I think convincing people that they can only play this stuff on a PS5 and later revealing that they didn't actually HAVE to update is a terrible business practice, it's why MS have gotten way ahead of it and made it very clear that their stuff will work on Ones for the immediate future.

The fact that they've made it clear that the vast majority of PS4 games will work going forward is their way of saying "sell your system, buy a PS5, leave that old stuff behind and join us in the future". I could also very well believe that some of the games they have coming up wouldn't run on a base PS4 to a standard Sony would be happy with, we've barely seen what they look like.

Happy to be proven wrong later, but it won't happen.

mejin

PS4 will still get support from 3rd party. Maybe some from Sony too to have crossplay with ps5 version, but AAA...Ghost is the last no doubt.

Ten_Fold

A good 6/10 at best. Sure the games looks amazing, best looking on a console, but they gameplay outside of bloodborne, Gravity Rush is, nothing really worth replaying, pretty much no risk type games that follows a certain format. They was on cruise control since Microsoft fucked up the whole generation. I think Sony will have to step it all the way up since Microsoft SEEMS to be taking next gen seriously.

Kdad

I never jumped in ... still waiting on a $199 console....I'll enjoy the PS4 games on my launch PS5 and count the cost as 2 gens of hardware to justify the entry fee.

Hunnybun

I think they are being coy. They announced MM was, so why not the others? They are not just going to ignore that 120 million install base.

They've emphasised again and again how they believe in generational leaps.

Like, if anything was going to be cross gen it's Miles Morales. That games looks like a minor upgrade in visuals from PS4, and yet it's STILL exclusive to PS5.

If that's not cross gen then there's no way much more ambitious games like Ratchet and Horizon are.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think convincing people that they can only play this stuff on a PS5 and later revealing that they didn't actually HAVE to update is a terrible business practice, it's why MS have gotten way ahead of it and made it very clear that their stuff will work on Ones for the immediate future.

The fact that they've made it clear that the vast majority of PS4 games will work going forward is their way of saying "sell your system, buy a PS5, leave that old stuff behind and join us in the future". I could also very well believe that some of the games they have coming up wouldn't run on a base PS4 to a standard Sony would be happy with, we've barely seen what they look like.

Well why haven't they said that ALL first party games going forward will be PS5 exclusive?

PresetError

Neophyte
Consoles must be judged by their catalogue and the PS4 is up there with the Top-5 consoles of all time. Sony Interactive Etertainment has published about +90 games this gen(2013-2020). This number alone should justify PS4s existence.

Some of the games I would highlight from the PS4 catalogue (first party, third party and timed exclusives):

Bloodborne
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Detroit: Become Human
Dreams
Driveclub
Everybody's Golf
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
God of War
GT Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
InFAMOUS Second Son
Killzone Shadowfall
LittleBigPlanet 3
MLB: The Show
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Part II
Marvel's Spider Man
Persona 5
Ratchet&Clank
Resogun
Shadow of the Colossus
Tearaway Unfolded
Tetris Effect
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn
Yakuza 6

IMO: 9 out of 10

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'd give them a 87/100 with the standouts for me being

TLOU 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Uncharted 4
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
The Order 1886
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Dreams
Detroit
Tearaway
Concrete Genie
Tales of Berseria
Sakura Wars
Bloodborne
Until Dawn

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well why haven't they said that ALL first party games going forward will be PS5 exclusive?

I would assume because it's kind of obvious, they've never done it before and they're not in a position that they need to. They're marketing Spider-Man, Ratchet, Horizon as PS5 games, if they were also going to be available on PS4 I think they'd make that clear. Agree to disagree.

El Sueño

Awesome. They killed it. A solid 9,5/10. If they had Zelda and Mario franchise, they would get the 10. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte

I agree 100%. If all this rhetoric of believing in generations and making a fast transition from PS4 to PS5 ends up being only an early selling point and down the line Playstation exclusives become available in other platforms to make a quick buck it will have consequences for their brand. It's not that there is something inherently wrong with doing it, but it's misleading and detrimental for the ecosystem Playstation has built for 25 years now.

AV

Re: rating the generation, it's a solid 8/10 from me, we had some dry spells and I think a few IPs were underutilised, but it's really hard to argue with the overall output and sheet quality of some of the stuff we got. The amount of games that laid the foundation for a new wave of PS5 titles is incredibly promising and were already seeing that pay off with Horizon 2 and Miles Morales.

cormack12

Gold Member
I guess OP is focusing on the big hitters here, so to steal the list earlier and focus on the ones I've played, I'd say a solid 7.5. Most of my issues are around creative decisions rather than the proficiency of the studio's. I think they have a couple of near perfect IP's, and then a strong, smaller list of games with competent mechanics with high production values.

Naughty Dog
Uncharted 4 was not an Uncharted game (to me). Lost Legacy redeemed a lot of bad decisions. Haven't played TLOU II yet so it sits outside my opinion.

Insomniac
Pretty good debut IP with a license to move units. Probably place it around the same as I:SS. Didn;t really punch above Batman for example, but was solid and enjoyable

Sucker Punch
I:SS was a decent jump but still has that 'studio trying to break into AAA space' feel and mechanics. Hopefully GoT addresses these but I'm starting that later.

Guerilla
The most pleasant surprise from new IP, though not without issues. But new IP, change of genre you can cut the developers some slack. Easily the most impressive debut IP for me. Think this will become a tentpole next generation.

FROM
Bloodborne was a great game in the early portion of the generation and probably one of the first must-have titles.

SSM
I don't feel the new God of War did enough really. Between this and Guerilla for example, I think Guerilla handled the conceptual transition to a completely different playstyle and genre much better. I think it would have been beneficial to make this a completely new IP.

Evolution
is closed now so.......driveclub did a lot of the visual stuff really nice, but the inaccessibility of it now, plus the bad launch and the 'free game' thing really hurt it.

Supermassive
Until Dawn was fun. I felt it relied a lot on its genre to shift units. There's no real big difference to this and a David Cage game really.

RAD
Despite the shit The Order 1886 got, I enjoyed most of it. Aside from one boss fight in the warehouse I enjoyed my time with it. This could have been more though.

David Cage
He kind of gets to do his own thing now, and you expect a title or two from him. I've enjoyed all his games. Just take them as they are really. I still don't think he's made anything as gripping as Heay Rain though

Polyphony
Again, GT:S gets a lot of shit, but being honest I like the pared back game more. And I definitely prefer the circuit experience to open world.

Housemarque
Loved both Alienation and Resogun.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
PS4 has been a 6/10 for me.

Dreams is something special (or will be), but Sony didn't really branch out and provide any other meaningfully innovating games for the last 7 years. They played it too safe to give them a higher score.

I have a lot of hope that the new leadership at Sony is more forward thinking though. So bring on the PS5!

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
9/10

GOW is one of my favorite games ever, GOT and Horizon are excellent new IP's in open worlds.
Spider-man is amazing and the gameplay was addictive, R&C returned to form.
Naughty Dog output was fantastic even though I was disappointed with TLOU2 story.

There are problems however.... Media Molecule output was very low, Quantic Dream are no longer exclusive, neither are Supermassive.
Guerrilla Cambridge and Evolution were shut down and Team ICO is not PlayStation exclusive anymore.

There was also some waste.... Medieval and some smaller projects just have no impact.

So...output quality was very very high but efficiency and use of resources could be better.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Am I nuts for thinking that teams of 150 people shouldn't make AAA open world games anymore?

It feels like a genre that's going to be dominated by 400+ developer studios from here on out.
They need more people for writing, animation blending and additional animations and probably some hires straight from Japan that can bring that influence and insight....

cormack12

Gold Member
Am I nuts for thinking that teams of 150 people shouldn't make AAA open world games anymore?

It feels like a genre that's going to be dominated by 400+ developer studios from here on out.

I hear they will base the new math exams on these secanrio's. It takes a team of 3 developers 14 days to code rope physics. If the team lost two members due to illness, how many days would this take?
A: 3 because Id crunch their asses to pieces.

Astral Dog

Bloodborne and God Of War were amazing games.

The others i don't care much about, i was somewhat hyped about the Ratchet ps4 game but i bought it and it was just annoying

Aion002

PS4 has been a 6/10 for me.

Dreams is something special (or will be), but Sony didn't really branch out and provide any other meaningfully innovating games for the last 7 years. They played it too safe to give them a higher score.

I have a lot of hope that the new leadership at Sony is more forward thinking though. So bring on the PS5!

In "normal" games they made(from the ones I cared):

Dreams like you said, unique in the console space (and games overall).
Death Stranding.... It has many innovative mechanics.
The Tomorrow Children unique... Too bad it failed.
Concrete Genie it has innovative things in it.

The whole Playlink thing, that gives new ways to play things with the PS4, smarthphone and tablets...

Sony was also the only one in the console space to push VR and they made cool things on it, like Astro Bot, Firewall Zero and Farpoint for example.

They tried and made some cool stuff... Too bad you didn't like them.... But they tried.

Eliciel

PS4 as a generation is a 10/10 for me, much like PS2
a very very close 9.5/10 - PS1
Ps3--> 9/10

I can't give lower scores to something that defines even my vacation agenda sometimes....if you know what I mean..

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Sony's first party output has never been better. I abolsutely loved games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Last Guardian, etc etc. The PS4 and PS4 Pro were excellent pieces of hardware, love them both. This was a great console generation.

SkylineRKR

Sony went back to the single player experience which was great.

Their IP also managed to sell gangbusters on PS4. On PS3 the likes of Infamous, Killzone, God of War etc sold decent, but what these exclusives move on PS4 is ridiculous. Horizon for example, new IP by Guerrilla, I think it sold more than all Killzone games combined.

I think their start was rocky. Second Son is the worst Infamous game if you ask me. Driveclub was in a sorry state at launch. Shadow Fall and Knack sucked. The Order sucked as well. But almost all of their other, later exclusives are good. I'm willing to die on the hill saying GTS is the best GT game period.

Last edited:
Didn't have an issue with Sonys 1st parties this gen but some 3rd parties took a turn for the worst. Overall I really enjoyed the PS4 and hopefully the PS5 will be just as good or better.

Genx3

Sony killed it this Gen.
Great games like Blood Bourne, GOW, UC, LOU, HZD and Ghost of Tsushima cement the PS4 as the best console game library for single player story driven games.
Just about every 3rd party game, some exclusive like Street Fighter 5 means you couldn't go wrong buying a PS4 console.

Roberts

Can't really judge it all that much as I bought my Pro only two years ago or so, but it's be alright in my book. Definitely better than PS3 which I barely ever turned on. Highlights for me were God of War and Bloodborne - those are amazing games. Have high hopes for GoT. Rest of the stuff I played is all over the place.

Fine: Spider-Man and Days Gone. Two games I like, but have to take longer breaks so that I don't get bored from repetitious gameplay.
Potentially great, but hasn't clicked for me yet: HZD
Expected shit, but was actually OK: Order 1886
Fine as a game, but I really dislike Cage's writing: Detroit
Definitely overrated and actually not very good at all: Uncharted 4, Death Stranding
Amazing Atmosphere but tons of issues that dampen my enthusiasm for it: Shadow of Colossus.
Something that I have no interest in play at all: GT Sport, Gravity Rush 2

That may sound harsh, but I genuinely think they had a good gen - otherwise most of you wouldn't be so happy about it.

As far as consoles generations go then I would probably say its the second best after ps2. HOWEVER this is also the gen where playstation and nintendo started charging for online and this gen might be hard to go back to once its online backbone is removed. Sony decided that older games (playstation 1 2 3) don't need to be playable on their new devices.

This is also where Japanese devs started going to PC which dont charge for online and are cross gen and made me switch with little regret. I'm moving over all my spending to pc and I doubt I will have a reason to go back. So they've lost a heavy user that was there since gen 1 with their greedy bullshit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Let's put it this way.

The Sony of the last 7 years is unfit to be the torchbearers for the industry.

We need a company that values innovation and social gaming to lead us into the future, not a company reliant on (mostly) single player sequels with safe design.

More Dreams, Death Stranding, Sea of Thieves...less Uncharted 7, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet and Clank 7.

New Sony may prove capable. Old Sony definitely wasn't.

sonyfifa

so it begins.

choose your weapons
jBz3BqP.png

hKVxm5r.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Overall, I would rate PlayStation 4 an excellent 9.0/10.

Games wise, here's my rundown of all the Sony PS4 published titles that I played and completed -

01. God of War - 9.5/10
02. Days Gone - 9.5/10
03. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 9.5/10
04. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 9.5/10
05. Spider Man - 9.0/10
06. Ratchet & Clank - 8.5/10
07. Nioh - 8.5/10
08. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 8.5/10
09. Alienation - 8.5/10
10. Nex Machina - 8.5/10
11. The Last of Us: Part II - 8.0/10
12. Detroit: Become Human - 8.0/10
13. Knack II - 7.5/10
14. The Order: 1886 - 7.0/10
15. Infamous: First Light - 7.0/10
16. Until Dawn - 7.0/10
17. Matterfall - 7.0/10
18. Knack - 6.5/10
19. Shadow of the Beast - 6.5/10

Overall - 8.1/10

Does not include Ghost of Tsushima and to be perfectly honest, I could have skipped Detroit, Knack 2, Infamous: First Light, Until Dawn, Knack and Shadow of the Beast and nothing would have been lost.

Going into next generation, I will be much more selective as im done playing games that don't hit at least a good 7.0/10 rating for me personally and truly don't want any game being less than a great 8.0/10 unless it's a game im 100% all in on. Outriders is a perfect example as im 100% all in day one as everything looks exactly for me but I can also see that game being under an 8.0/10 once I complete it.

As of right now, I have four PlayStation 5 exclusives that im interested in. Horizon II: Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Spider Man: Miles Morales are all 100% guaranteed playthroughs with Returnal being 50/50. To make it simple, I will be cutting out a lot of the fat and bloat for next generation. Simply put, im going in a much more quality focused direction over quantity.

MDSLKTR

The 1-2 hit combo of GoW/Spiderman in 2018 transcended the system and it's mindshare.
2019 was awful first party wise.
The LoU2/GoT 2020 combo is mighty too.
Bloodborne is the defining game of the generation.
I miss evo studios.
PSVR delivered.
PS4 pro noise fan is the meme that keeps on giving.

Didn't reach the heights of the PS2, but far better output than the PS3.

Damigos

Excellent. There were some hiccups sure, but the overall performance of PS4, especially exclusives, were among the greatest i ve seen.
Driveclub, 2 Infamous, 2 Uncharted, God of War, Horizon, TLOS, GOT, GT Sport, Spiderman and so many more...
Its been good
9/10

9/10 for me this generation

Days gone
I think they shouldv gave days gone more light, it felt like they ddnt believe in it

Detroit become human
I think it was different game and not lot of people are fan of david cage but the game was great i enjoy df out of it.

God of war
Beast

Lou2
Didnt buy it, im sure the gsme play was awesome, i didnt feel the story after the leaks.

Dreams
I bought tbh not my cup of tea

GHost of Tsushima
Played it last night, oh man is the game impressivw

Horizon Zero dawn
Beast

9/10 because of the slow start.

I'll be making a similar thread in the future about this. Just want to give people time to enjoy Ghost and make their decision on the game. In a few days.

NahaNago

I'm going to rate this probably a 6 out of 10. I'm not really into the western push Sony is doing these days so I rated it a bit lower than the norm. Also not into souls games.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It was good not great. They were way to heavy on cinematic adventure games. No RPGs and no horizon does not count. i say 7-10. The games released were solid to great but not enough variety and i don't want to hear about third party exclusives this is about Sony studios. Can't wait to play more ghosts of tsushima today.

magnumpy

the launch of the PS5 will coincide with the death of the PS4 in such a way that reality will be ruined forever :(

JimiNutz

Banned
9/10 because of the slow start.

I'll be making a similar thread in the future about this. Just want to give people time to enjoy Ghost and make their decision on the game. In a few days.

Yeah it would be cool to have a vote thread.
There are so many exclusives that I'd have to be done in rounds though before we could whittle it down to a top 10 to vote on.

PS4 is absolutely leagues ahead of the PS3, obviously. The PS2 is still the best console ever though. Games were just better then, and weren't just full of scripted movie scenes and "press X to enter cutscene crap". The PS4 has had some really good games for me like HZD and Spiderman, and we all know the graphics are really good. Overall I'd still put the first two consoles firmly at the top of my list, with the 4 next, followed by the 3. You just can't beat the old days of gaming, or maybe I'm just getting old.

Top Bottom