• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation First Party Studios Are Reportedly Focused On PlayStation 5 As Lead Platform - How do you rate Sony's PS4 Generation?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think Sony's first party support has been a solid value add, and more importantly, consistently defined the perception of PS4 as a technology platform.

These games are so beautiful, that I feel they've elevated people's opinions of the PS4's tech far beyond what third party games alone would have done. That's great for the platform, and that's great for gamers, who so often got to experience complete jaw-droppers of games.

As additions to the library themselves, I don't find Sony titles to be masterpieces, as is popular rhetoric. I do however find them to be good games, genre diverse, and a big value add, that gives the platform it's own identity.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
PS2>PS4>PS1>PS3.

Just needed a bit more balance on the Japanese side of games. Maybe form their own JRPG studio or something then the PS5 will be a hard hitter.

LordOfChaos

I thought it was great, 8.5/10. I had always been on PC before but I spent more time on my PS4 since I got it. The library fleshed out fantastically.

Was my first generation ever on PlayStation so I can't compare to previous titles.

Last edited:
I think there are.
It would definitely have to be done in rounds I think.

I'm thinking of narrowing it down to Sony Worldwide Studio games only. Cause there are some "exclusives" from second/third party that are going and have gone to PC/Xbox and thus the derail will be inevitable. I think a game of the gen thread could include the others. But I'm not making that thread in 2021.

Btw, did you enjoy Florida? It's crazy here now.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
9/10 because there’s always room for improvement. They killed it though.

TLOU2, GoW and Bloodborne are 3 of the best games ever made and make the console a must have.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I would also like to offer absolute praise for Sony taking a chance on stuff that isn't traditionally popular.

Death Stranding shouldn't exist, with what we know about how risk-adverse publishers are now, yet Kojima was given what was likely a massive budget, to bring his dream to life. The game is controversial, yes, but undoubtedly, the world is better off with it, than without it.

Wipeout is another one. How lovely that collection was, completely redone in the tech of the day, and with 4K and VR support. Nobody out there, not even Nintendo, would roll the dice on something like this.

Until Dawn also comes to mind, among others, but this post needs to end sometime. Point being, the hobby needs more creative integrity, genre diversity, and less financial hand-wringing, and it's really great to see Sony setting that standard.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Other than they fucked with us 2 i can honestly say i loved every single sony title this gen.
Xbox had 2 repeat 2 titles that i loved the rest was garbage.

And third party titles this year were mediocre most of the time so we can all thank sony to keep us entertained and fill in the gaps with amazing titles.

But this will surprise many , my number one sony title this gen behind bloodborne is astrobot.
The best gaming experience for me by a long shot

Bankai

PS4 has been absolutely fantastic from my perspective. New experiences through PSVR and with a 4K OLED HDR screen, I absolutely couln't be happier with this gen. I've played SO many awesome games.

Jtibh

Banned
I would also like to offer absolute praise for Sony taking a chance on stuff that isn't traditionally popular.

Death Stranding shouldn't exist, with what we know about how risk-adverse publishers are now, yet Kojima was given what was likely a massive budget, to bring his dream to life. The game is controversial, yes, but undoubtedly, the world is better off with it, than without it.

Wipeout is another one. How lovely that collection was, completely redone in the tech of the day, and with 4K and VR support. Nobody out there, not even Nintendo, would roll the dice on something like this.

Until Dawn also comes to mind, among others, but this post needs to end sometime. Point being, the hobby needs more creative integrity, genre diversity, and less financial hand-wringing, and it's really great to see Sony setting that standard.
Oh yeah until dawn and detroit.

Sony is always pawing the road for new ip's and genres that turn into mainstream hits see demons soul .

The gaming industry has a lot to thank for sony . They keep inovating taking huge risks and keep the gaming sector very diverse.

Without them we would play online shooters and assasins creeds for years to come.

Haven't enjoyed the first party output as much myself this time around compared to last gen. Whilst the quality is higher, feels as tho the variety is lacking. It's telling that I consider Death Stranding to be the best console exclusive for the Ps4, yet Kojima Productions isn't a first party studio.

dilbag

i thought the line up was pretty weak compared to ps1-3 gens. I dont know I just could not get into alot of their games. Uncharted 2/3 > 4 GoW 3 > 4 Demon Souls > Bloodborne(although to be fair I am a little burnt out of souls style games atm and demon souls was my first experience with them) LoUS > LoUS 2

now this is not saying the games are bad just that i prefer last gens line up much more then this gen.

Rea

Best console for gaming current gen and i really enjoyed their exclusives games, currently enjoying GOT.. let's say goodbye and welcome next gen ps5. I will rate 10/10 but ps4 pro fan is seriously annoying. So, its solid 9.5/10.

Perrott

Gold Member
I think they are being coy. They announced MM was, so why not the others? They are not just going to ignore that 120 million install base.
In fact that's exactly what they are doing. In 2018 they started moving PS4 titles such as Horizon: Forbidden West, Sackboy: A Big Adventure or Japan Studio's AAA title (Kouno's project) to PS5. Sources: VGC, ZhugeEX, Benji.

So please, stop this nonsense about how games designed with the PS5 in mind should release on the PS4 (which btw is a piece of shit of a hardware) as well.

Worst generation ever in terms of games.

Excellent hardware and the best controller ever released, ever, ever (Xbox elite pad) and some amazing ideas; remote play and gamepass.

So, it's been alright

Jtibh

Banned
i thought the line up was pretty weak compared to ps1-3 gens. I dont know I just could not get into alot of their games. Uncharted 2/3 > 4 GoW 3 > 4 Demon Souls > Bloodborne(although to be fair I am a little burnt out of souls style games atm and demon souls was my first experience with them) LoUS > LoUS 2

now this is not saying the games are bad just that i prefer last gens line up much more then this gen.
Which last gen games from sony did you like the most and why were they better than this gen?

Took 4 years to get going but then a lot of great games started to come in droves.

First Party wise, I sadly wasn't interested in their Western Output as I am not a fan of Open World/Apocolyptic stuff but Sony seems to have found their niche.

It was all on the Third Parties for me which drove me to buy the most games yet for the system.

8/10 for me, knocking two off for the delay in bringing us the good stuff.

Now I bask in their Honeymoon period of games and wait for the PS5 to be affordable and have a good library ready.

Fbh

Honestly, a tad disappointing, probably a 7 out of 10
My favorite ps4 exclusive is still one made by a third party dev (Bloodborne) and the only real first party games I thought were truly great were GOW, Horizon and Spiderman. (I've yet to play Ghosts of Tsushima though) with some other stuff like Ratchet, Gravity Rush 1-2 and Uncharted The Lost Legacy in the "good but not great" camp.

The decline in quality from Naughty Dog really hurt them IMO, their star developer became a B tier dev. They went from not only releasing 2 new IP's but also 2 of my favorite games from last gen (TLOU and Uncharted 2) to just working on a pair of really disappointing sequels and a lower scale half-sequel which was sadly the best thing they did this gen.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would give Sony a B+, they made lots of great games, but the games were in the same groove, lots of M-rated action adventure games. I miss their wider range last gen, titles like MAG, Warhawk, Motorstorm, etc.

jakinov

Games: 9/10 there's less games but they review and sell significantly better than ever before. They don't seem to have at least one major release every year. So taking away a point for that.
Platform: 10/10 innovative new features, matched 360 features, copied whatever unique features Xbox added and still has, implements some features better.
Customer Friendliness: 6/10 allowing used games is nice but I have a feeling they would have done the same, paying for online, and the cross-play business, lack of refunds, etc.
Hardware: 9/10 Small from the start, still has expandable HDD, USB ports are on in standby. Only problem is controller port sucks,battery sucks, light and touch pad suck.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Games: 9/10 there's less games but they review and sell significantly better than ever before. They don't seem to have at least one major release every year. So taking away a point for that.
Platform: 10/10 innovative new features, matched 360 features, copied whatever unique features Xbox added and still has, implements some features better.
Customer Friendliness: 6/10 allowing used games is nice but I have a feeling they would have done the same, paying for online, and the cross-play business, lack of refunds, etc.
Hardware: 9/10 Small from the start, still has expandable HDD, USB ports are on in standby. Only problem is controller port sucks,battery sucks, light and touch pad suck.

On platform, yea I think the PS4 UI way better than all of the 6,000 iterations of One over the years, it looks and runs better, but the hardware? Sony really let us down IMO. Noisy PS4/Pro, I still couldn't tell you which button is eject and which is power on the PS4, poorly built controllers, terrible battery life, etc. Sony used to be masters at this stuff, but the One X is the best console in terms of build by a mile. At least the back button attachment is good.

Last edited:

kebaldo

9/10 for me. Fantastic gen on both first and third party. Great games from Japan and great games from wester studios, the perfect mix.
Hoping the next gen holds up well.

Enjay

Banned
This generation has been all about the last of us 2 for me. Big "where were you when it launnched" type of experience.

FranXico

Without them we would play online shooters and assasins creeds for years to come.
tenor.gif

But people are doing that regardless?

Gamernyc78

Banned
93/100 thy did fucking awesome even considering first party devs were also spread to psvr and tht had some gems as well like Astrobot. Like someone else said dropped points because thy didn't have tht FPS shooter to catch my attention like KZ 2/3 and Resistance 3 did for me last Gen but then again no console maker this gen did, thy were all meh on first party side. It didnt matter though because third party devs really gave us great fps games this gen and filled tht gap.

John Day

I loved this generation. Ups and downs indeed, but it has been very enjoyable for me. Looking forward to the future, though i’m sure i’ll still be playing with the ps4 for a while.

dilbag

Which last gen games from sony did you like the most and why were they better than this gen?

Demon souls because it just felt fresh for the time. blood borne is good but I think at this time I am just fatigued out of the souls like games. so this might be a me problem with this one not the game.

Uncharted 1-3 esp 2 felt top tier. 4 was good but just felt tired by that point, and I did not like the open world areas.

Last of us Really enjoyed the story of the game. The game play was decent not amazing but the game play hooked me

God of war 3 had epic boss fights. story was blah but the action made up for it. The new God of war is good but the boss fights are just boring compared to 3. The weapon selection is not there either. I wanted more of a ninja gaiden style of game with this franchise (we have not had many of those this gen at all. DMC5 and baynetta 2 are the only 2 I can even think of)

Dead nation best stick shooter I have ever played, Alien nation was decent but felt like a step back from Dead nation.

Not saying this gen was garbage just that it felt like a step back for me.

For me, Bloodborne is absolutely at the top of the list. When I look back at PS4, that's always first to mind. Big tent pole games that let the player truly explore and force you to pay attention while never fully showing its hand is rare. It respects you enough to figure it out while still having a bit of mystery to it. Also, Metal Gear Solid 5, that game was just a blast to play. Shame we'll never see Kojima build upon MGS5 and its fantastic foundation. I'll throw Hotline Miami in there too. Can't think of much else. Overall, this was my least played console generation. I'm hoping for more with the next.

Jtibh

Banned
tenor.gif

But people are doing that regardless?
Well not me . Maybe if you are xbox only.

I havent touched multiplayer in years.

Single player all the way. Story driven games all the way.

Ea gave us a rare glimps what they can come up with if they try with jedi fallen order

Jtibh

Banned
Demon souls because it just felt fresh for the time. blood borne is good but I think at this time I am just fatigued out of the souls like games. so this might be a me problem with this one not the game.

Uncharted 1-3 esp 2 felt top tier. 4 was good but just felt tired by that point, and I did not like the open world areas.

Last of us Really enjoyed the story of the game. The game play was decent not amazing but the game play hooked me

God of war 3 had epic boss fights. story was blah but the action made up for it. The new God of war is good but the boss fights are just boring compared to 3. The weapon selection is not there either. I wanted more of a ninja gaiden style of game with this franchise (we have not had many of those this gen at all. DMC5 and baynetta 2 are the only 2 I can even think of)

Dead nation best stick shooter I have ever played, Alien nation was decent but felt like a step back from Dead nation.

Not saying this gen was garbage just that it felt like a step back for me.
Hmmm i get it.

I agree with everything you wrote.

Still i had a blast with horizon and of course days gone.

I liked the longer more open world approach this gen from sony.

I think last gen they set the stage and this gen they fine tuned it.

Hope next gen we get a new beginning and lots of new ip's.

In sony i trust.

This generation was incredible but the PS3 generation beats this one by just a little bit because of all of the awesome multiplayer games that came out in that era. The unique multiplayer experiences from the following games are what tips the scale, Far Cr 2, Killzone 2, MAG, Socom Confrontation, Uncharted 2, Homefront and many more I can't remember. PS4 just doesn't have games with these type of experiences.

NickFire

I'd give this gen's first party output an 8.9 overall. They've made some great games, and I wouldn't trade their first party output for anyone else's. But the games I played the longest / most were third parties I think. I can't give them a 9-10 because I'm unable to think of a multiplayer game that captured my attention comparable with, say, Fortnite.

TheGrat1

I think they are being coy. They announced MM was, so why not the others? They are not just going to ignore that 120 million install base.
Why not? They all but ignored the PS2 when the PS3 launched. God of War 2 and MLB The Show are all I can remember them putting out for it after PS3 launched.
No Resistance. No Motorstorm. No Uncharted. No Heavenly Sword.
MLB The Show and maybe some smaller PSN titles are the only thing I expect to come to the PS4 now from Sony themselves. It is full steam ahead on the PS5 otherwise.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
It was a fine machine for the post-HD era. It did what it needed to do to make an online multimedia ecosystem more useful and accessible. But I"m not going to say the library is in contention for all time or even second tier. There were way too many franchises that were either introduced or hit their stride during the PS3 era. If you look at the top 20 games on PS3 ,they would all compete with eachother for defining the generation in one way or another. The PS4 catalogue is really more of what was established on PS3. There were also a lot of must-have remasters that never happened for whatever reason.

I give it a solid and respectable 6/10 on a full ten point scale, for exceeding expectations but not having many era-defining titles, and the few there were also had serious issues with them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pretty excellent. Fewer hard hitters than on PS3 (which had 3 Uncharteds, TLoU, 2 Infamous games, 2 GoWs, 2 GTs, etc), but several of the games Sony has released this generation have been the best they've ever made. I'm pleased.

Coupled with great 3rd party output, I've enjoyed the PS4 more than the PS3 overall.

Dthomp

Honestly, I think this will be a great question when we are further removed from this gen. Everybody is still in the now and the afterglow of major releases. I've enjoyed alot of games this gen, but I have always been very critical when it comes to the way I look at games and while this gen has had tons of great games, I'm not sure any would make my top 20 of all time if I sat down and thought about it. Hell I'm not sure they crack top 50 sadly. Alot of "same" feel from so many titles, and not enough chances taken.

A knee jerk reaction for me right now PSX-PS2-PS4-PS3

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The PS4 has been one of my favourite consoles of all time. I'm pretty much solely into single-player, story driven gaming these days & Sony have definitely provided the goods this gen. I started Ghost of Tsushima today & it's yet another gorgeous looking, atmospheric, big AAA single-player adventure that honestly could've been made especially for me. It's been a fantastic console.

Bonus points for the fact that, as far as I recall, none of these games I'm referring to had any micro-transactions or other greedy schemes to sour the experience.

FunkMiller

The PS4 has been one of my favourite consoles of all time. I'm pretty much solely into single-player, story driven gaming these days & Sony have definitely provided the goods this gen. I started Ghost of Tsushima today & it's yet another gorgeous looking, atmospheric, big AAA single-player adventure that honestly could've been made especially for me. It's been a fantastic console.

Bonus points for the fact that, as far as I recall, none of these games I'm referring to had any micro-transactions or other greedy schemes to sour the experience.

Could have written this myself.

Anyone who predominantly plays single player, narrative driven games would be mad to say that anything other than the PS4 has been their best generation, and the best video game generation as a whole.

Though, arguably, Ps2 still holds the crown across the board.

Raimond

I've been a very very big gamer since NES days, but got hardcore in the 16 bit era I would say (got a bit older). Big on Sony since ps1 days as well and I never thought anything would surpass PS2 hit after hit... But lo and behold, PS4 did it. Best generation ever.

teezzy

Banned
I've considered re-buying a PS4 just for the following:

Horizon
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Last Guardian

I know I stan hard for Xbox and PC, but that doesn't mean I don't know a cool game when I see one. Horizon is already coming to PC, I'm hoping the rest follow.

Top Bottom