• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS First Party Sales Figured LEAKED! Days Gone and Bloodborne 7.5 Million. DriveClub 5 million.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You are correct. If a publisher + developer wanted to make a particular game, they would do so.
Thats my point. sales numbers is not everthing, as long as devs and publishers are willing it can happen.

In Bloodborne's case FROM just moved on from that game and they more interested working on different projects.....one day they might combat back to it if Sony is willing but who knows.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Because that’s just tlou1 remastered which came out a year after the original game already sold millions on ps3.

Real numbers are 27 million vs 10 million since 37 million series sales is what nd had announced before part 1 remake came out.

I’m sorry but this simply means that the sequel will never even come close to topping the first game. And sequels are supposed to shatter the records of the first game.

the game has a very mixed reception among its fanbase and word of mouth simply wasn’t as great as tlou1. Of course if you kill the main character then you risk alienating a huge portion of the series fanbase and that’s exactly what’s happened here. Neil simply made the stupid decision to kill off the main reason why people loved that game. He thought he was George r r Martin killing off the main character in book one, but unlike him, he didn’t have characters like tyrion, danerys and Jon snow to take over as leads. Instead he made us play as Joffrey.

The vast majority of The Last of Us Remastered sales are from bundles. That means copies were given away for free.

I don't know why people compare the two figures when it's not even a 1-for-1 comparison.

37 was announced December 2022, so this counts The Last of Us Remake.

Last edited:

Yoboman

The Last of Us sold 18.2 million copies in 7 years/ 6 months
The Last of Us Part II sold 9.6 million copies in 1 year/8 months

That's nearly a 6 year gap.

Yeah, let's call Spider-Man 2 a failure because it hasn't sold more than Spider-Man 1.
The Last of Us was at 8 million in a year and a half

I think people are understating the legs these games have had

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is this a different leak than the Insomniac leak? Sorry, I’m still catching up with everything. Good lord it’s chaotic.

Brucey

Days Gone and Ghost did well for a new IP.

edit: Driveclub is my favorite. Dude, this game did well after all even with that shit launch.
Ps5 Drive club 2, I will continue to hold out hope despite studio being fed into chipper.

Blood Borne

And then a subsequent report stating over 14 million players (not sales, a couple of million could have been from used physical copies circulating) in early 2022:

Wow. Thanks.
That’s crazy.

Reactions: GHG

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you look at everything that led up to the release of The Last of Us 2, there was no reason why it shouldn't have done more than the first one.

It's the sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed games in the PS3 console generation. It's on next generation hardware, and it's coming from Sony's premium studio's A Team.

This is a silly way to view an IP in my opinion. Plus I'd rather a content creator take a risk and sell less games, then never ever take a risk just to sell more games. It's more than likely at or around 12 million sold today. Acting as if ever sequel has to sell more than the previous is just silly.

It may be want publishers want, but it doesn't mean the thing is a failure if it doesn't outsell the first game.

Woopah

As suspected, the data shows that digital ratios tend to be higher in the Americas than in Eurioe or Asia. Also there were some good first party performances in Asia on PS4 (notably God of War which did 1.7 million and Horizon at 1.9 million).

Not sure why you acting that way, but I'm pretty sure the production costs of a remaster is waaaaaay less than a full huge AAA game.
Which is probably why the average selling price of the remaster is significantly lower than the AAA game, hence why the AAA game name more revenue.

Yep... same thing xbox did with Halo, Gears, forza for years.... before 2nd part of 360 gen they had more games... Just like Sony has become now a GOW, Horizon, Tlou, Spiderman factory. Sprinkled in with GT every gen. eventually it will bite them in the ass.
Not exactly, they have several smaller and new IP lined up as well (some of them coming in the next few months).
I will give you another example, this game is SUPER niche!
Trace-Memory---Nintendo-DS

But not only it got sequel but it also getting re-release in Jan 2024.
71g2Jy1B8IL.jpg

Nintendo are not making this game "to make money" but because they care about the IP.
The Director of the first game might have been more interested in returning to this franchise than From is in returning to Bloodborne.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The Last of Us was at 8 million in a year and a half

I think people are understating the legs these games have had

Over 17 million copies sold as of April 2018.

DrCCuF4UcAM-KSI

However, according to NPD/Circana, The Last of Us Remastered didn't make the top-selling charts in the same year.

ZhugeEX says all games on this list are notably over 3 million.

ohoPbz5.png

This list excludes bundles.

Spider-Man 2018 made the list the following month.

TLOU.jpg

So if Last of Us Remastered on the PS4 sold 18 million copies and was surpassed by Last of Us Part II in just under 2 months then we can conclude that the majority of those copies sold on the PS4 were bundled.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The Director of the first game might have been more interested in returning to this franchise than From is in returning to Bloodborne.
Thats exactly my point, to me less to do with "sale numbers" and more to do with FROM just not all that interested returning to Bloodborne.

Holammer

Rift apart released when the 1st couple years you couldn't find a PS5. That probably hurt it most .
Console release titles are sent out to die. But it's still hard to imagine that Demon's souls did worse than R&C.
If they release it on PC and it sells well, it's going to be the first Sony PC port that sells better than the console release.

There's no Wojak in existence capable of conveying the outrage from certain people if and when it happens.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Welp that's dissapointing in a sense, that these games/studios definitely deserved another take and the situation around Driveclub is extra shitty and talent got bagged by EA and MS, which is strange tactic. And with Bloodborne...like 7.5mil, now like how much does it need, for some simple config-change remaster at least??

Looks like data from a year or so ago based on what we know now?

Although doesn't exactly like up with some previous Sony reports?

Last edited:
This is a silly way to view an IP in my opinion. Plus I'd rather a content creator take a risk and sell less games, then never ever take a risk just to sell more games. It's more than likely at or around 12 million sold today. Acting as if ever sequel has to sell more than the previous is just silly.

It may be want publishers want, but it doesn't mean the thing is a failure if it doesn't outsell the first game.
Now I never said the game was a failure. I just said it was a disappointment. If this data hadn't leaked today and someone ask you, "Where do you think the last of us 2 sales are currently at?" Would you really say 12 million? I honestly would have though it was at 15 million.

onQ123

I mean sure if "it still sold 10 million" is what you wanna fall back on, it was the number we all knew about and was confused why they hadn't announced new numbers since.
That doesn't change that people was right about it not being as successful as the original and the sales had fell off.
That game really have y'all talking crazy lol

It's the 2nd game you really don't have enough data to predict if it will be successful or not . But for a game to sell 10 million in a few years while being exclusive to 1 platform, (a platform that's on its way out by the way ) that's right 10 million on PS4 while releasing the year that PS5 came out & the PS5: version haven't released yet. But it's "only 10 million" lol

When was the last time Halo or Gears of War sold 10 million?

What are you people even talking about?

You look like fools lol

As far as part 2 goes not sure why people are even talking about the copies sold. This is old info.

Naughty Dog announced in June 2022 it had sold over 10 million copies "earlier that year". All this tells us it had actually sold 10 million copies by December 2021 or Jan 2022 which is better that some peoples assumptions when ND initially made that sales announcement.

Plus we also now for the nearly entire year of 2022 it was making the top sales list on PSN. Was the only PlayStation game as old that was doing so as well.

And for the early months of 2023 it was even topping it with the HBO show bump.

So if anything this leak actually has them at a higher number now than people where initially guessing.

I feel like people forgot the initial 10 mil announcement was in June 2022 so this actually puts the numbers in an even better place as It shows they achieved those numbers much much earlier and it was a game that wasn't bundled much as well.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So basically if they stuck with them Driveclub and Days Gone would have had potential to grow into much bigger franchises. Meanwhile Predator should have served as a warning that GAAS was not the way to go but yet they doubled down on it.

Now that Jimbo is gone, Hulst needs to be gone soon as well. The idea that the only way a game gets a second opportunity is if it does more than ~10 million units is fucking stupid.
Especially when some of these are new IP's you don't launch a new IP usually to 10M sales. Give the game two series for most of these and see it it has some legs!

ckaneo

As far as part 2 goes not sure why people are even talking about the copies sold. This is old info.

Naughty Dog announced in June 2022 it had sold over 10 million copies "earlier that year". All this tells us it had actually sold 10 million copies by December 2021 or Jan 2022 which is better that some peoples assumptions when ND initially made that sales announcement.

Plus we also now for the nearly entire year of 2022 it was making the top sales list on PSN. Was the only PlayStation game as old that was doing so as well.

And for the early months of 2023 it was even topping it with the HBO show bump.

So if anything this leak actually has them at a higher number now than people where initially guessing.

I feel like people forgot the initial 10 mil announcement was in June 2022 so this actually puts the numbers in an even better place as It shows they achieved those numbers much much earlier and it was a game that wasn't bundled much as well.
Also people are ignoring how high TLOU2 revenue is compared to the other releases. It's better to sell copies at full price. According to this the reason TLOU remaster sold so much is because they were basically giving it away

Also people are ignoring how high TLOU2 revenue is compared to the other releases. It's better to sell copies at full price. According to this the reason TLOU remaster sold so much is because they were basically giving it away

Very true. People also ignore the statement that TLOU2 was profitable on day 1 or something like that.

It's crazy how some people are taking this table from Feb 2022 and trying to spin a negative out of it. Was less than 2 years after release.

A 1 SKU game and a game that was bundled millions of copies less than some others.

EDMIX

If you look at everything that led up to the release of The Last of Us 2, there was no reason why it shouldn't have done more than the first one.

The fuck are you talking about?

Why would it do MORE then a fucking game that was out for 7 years?

Has it been 7 years yet orrrrr?

Shit, using this odd logic, thats like saying Spiderman 2 FLOPPED, yup, didn't do 25 million, not "mOrE dEn dA fRiSTz 1z"

It makes zero sense. So no, we do not generally assist units sold this way, like ever. Most times, we factor it based on a similar time frame or something.

The Last Of Us 2 was at 10 million units sold 2 years in.

The Last Of Us 1 took like 7 years to move 20 million.

Where the fuck you are getting that The Last Of Us 2 was suppose to move 20 million in under 1 year, on 1 platform is beyond me. Even the most wildest fans are not saying this weird shit. Imagine the next God Of War and us acting as if its going to move 20 million that same year lol

I don't know of many IP that have ever equalled the past installments lifetime sales, in 1 year. Unless that last game was some complete fucking flop or something and a reboot or sequel is wildly better or something, it is simply not normal to expect a sequel to match LIFE TIME SALES of a game that had 7 years to sell.

Thats like expecting GTAVI, to move 190 million units......in 2 years. We are all hype for GTA VI, shit I know most of us will buy it day 1.

I don't think anyone here is on some sort of delusion of expecting it to MATCH life time sales in 1 or 2 years.

Woopah

Now I never said the game was a failure. I just said it was a disappointment. If this data hadn't leaked today and someone ask you, "Where do you think the last of us 2 sales are currently at?" Would you really say 12 million? I honestly would have though it was at 15 million.
Its certianly possible for it to be at around 15 million by now. It depends on whether Sony are as aggresive on pricing with Part II as they were with the original.

The fuck are you talking about?

Why would it do MORE then a fucking game that was out for 7 years?

Has it been 7 years yet orrrrr?

Shit, using this odd logic, thats like saying Spiderman 2 FLOPPED, yup, didn't do 25 million, not "mOrE dEn dA fRiSTz 1z"

It makes zero sense. So no, we do not generally assist units sold this way, like ever. Most times, we factor it based on a similar time frame or something.

The Last Of Us 2 was at 10 million units sold 2 years in.

The Last Of Us 1 took like 7 years to move 20 million.

Where the fuck you are getting that The Last Of Us 2 was suppose to move 20 million in under 1 year, on 1 platform is beyond me. Even the most wildest fans are not saying this weird shit. Imagine the next God Of War and us acting as if its going to move 20 million that same year lol

I don't know of many IP that have ever equalled the past installments lifetime sales, in 1 year. Unless that last game was some complete fucking flop or something and a reboot or sequel is wildly better or something, it is simply not normal to expect a sequel to match LIFE TIME SALES of a game that had 7 years to sell.

Thats like expecting GTAVI, to move 190 million units......in 2 years. We are all hype for GTA VI, shit I know most of us will buy it day 1.

I don't think anyone here is on some sort of delusion of expecting it to MATCH life time sales in 1 or 2 years.
Exacty.

fatmarco

Why were people asking about Driveclub and Days Gone? Driveclub sold 4.76 million copies sure, but it only made 124 million off of those sales. Death Stranding sold less copies, 4.16 million, but made 178 million dollars, meaning more people actually paid for full retail/ or closer to full retail for it.

Days Gone may have sold 7.3 million copies, which is close to Ghost of Tsushima at 7.43 million, but Ghosts made 397 million off that whereas Days Gone only made 265 million, which is an absolutely massive difference (also the same exact issue with Bloodborne).

Ultimately the stat that matters is not the unit sales but how much money those units made.

Net Sales in USD and therefore PPU for Miles Morales, TLOU Part 2 and Ghost are very good.

And that's all the way back in Feb 2022. Look at them compared to GOd of War 4 which "sold" much more units.

Not far off and by now very possibly ahead in terms of actual cash.

Can only assume that's the bundle affect in action. Goes to show Units is certainly not the fulls story especially with some games bundled in the millions and some not bundled at all.

GOW 4 at 21 million United at 597m USD

Part 2 at 10.3 million units after 1 and a bit years on sale at 447m USD. Likely ahead in dollar sales now imo.

Puts to bed any "bad" sales narrative.

Last edited:
Regardless of sales figures, the Sony sequels (Spider-Man 2, GoW Ragnarok, (Not) The Last of Us Part II, etc.) bummed a lot of fans of the respective IPs out. I can say the same about Death Stranding's effect on the pedigree of the Kojima brand. The next entries will be judged through the lens of cynicism by many whereas most jumped into the current entries blindly.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People were talking negatively about Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart sales.

Now we have a clear picture that these are sales as of Feb 2022 and they need over 2 million to break even. This is only 8 months and 18 days worth of tracking. No doubt they will hit that mark, especially after the PC release.

Woopah

Net Sales in USD and therefore PPU for Miles Morales, TLOU Part 2 and Ghost are very good.

And that's all the way back in Feb 2022. Look at them compared to GOd of War 4 which "sold" much more units.

Not far off and by now very possibly ahead in terms of actual cash.

Can only assume that's the bundle affect in action. Goes to show Units is certainly not the fulls story especially with some games bundled in the millions and some not bundled at all.

GOW 4 at 21 million United at 597m USD

Part 2 at 10.3 million units after 1 and a bit years on sale at 447m USD.

Puts to bed any "bad" sales narrative.
For example, GOW 4 sold 8.19 million in the Americas, but 2.1 million of that was from bundles which wouldn't generate a lot of revenue.

For example, GOW 4 sold 8.19 million in the Americas, but 2.1 million of that was from bundles which wouldn't generate a lot of revenue.
Exactly but some people are taking units sold as gospel ignoring how some games are bundled in the millions and some not at all. This is reflected in the USD sales versus Unit sales.

This list actually looks very very good for some games that people where trying to claim didn't perform.

Also list is from from Feb 2022.

As many including myself mentioned Part 2 sold very well in 2022 (Potentially more than 21) and early 2023 based on the fact it was making the PSN top sales chart very consistently and much more than any other Sony game that was released at a similar time or before.

Last edited:
I don't know the $ of it, but the final sell through doesn't necessarily tell the full story. How many of the sales were for $60, or $40 or $15. Sometimes you get a game that doesn't sell all that great, but is still a good game and these sell a lot of units at deep discount at holidays and store sales years after release. You then have an elevated sales total that doesn't necessarily jive with the financial performance.

Like I said, I have zero idea of the particulars behind DG or DC, but it is something to consider. Though the net sales for DG doesn't look bad there, but I guess if they spent an exorbitant amount making it. 🤷‍♂️
Brah it has the revenue on the right. You can work out the average unit price from that.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Bbbbut the dumbasses on gaf, i wont tag them but they know who they are from that other thread, said Bloodborne sold far too less to get a simple fucking ps5 patch, yet it sold more than GoT which received a ps5 update. Youre all a bunch of fucking clowns.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Bbbbut the dumbasses on gaf, i wont tag them but they know who they are from that other thread, said Bloodborne sold far too less to get a simple fucking ps5 patch, yet it sold more than GoT which received a ps5 update. Youre all a bunch of fucking clown.
They probably are including people who redeemed a copy when it was free.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It told 9.639 million copies at the end of February 2022

Naughty Dog announced that it sold over 10 million copies as of Spring 2022.

Sometime between March 2022 and June 11th, 2022, it sold over 361k units to reach 10 million copies sold.

November - US 8th - EU - 7th

April - EU - 12th
August - EU - 16th
October - EU - 11th
November - US - 16th - EU - 6th

March - US - 15th - EU - 13th
April - US - 14th - EU - 11th | Last of Us Part II sold over 10 million copies
August - US - 10th - EU - 7th
September - US - 11th - EU - 15th | Last of Us Part I release date
November - US - 4th - EU - 4th | 12th GSD Europe
December - US - 7th - EU - 5th - JP - 15th

January - US - 7th - EU - 7th | Last of Us Show TV Premiere
February - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 9th | 18th NPD | 7th GSD Europe
March - US - 9th - EU - 10th | Season Finale
April - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 15th | 5th GSD Europe
July - US - 12th - EU - 11th

- Sales slowed down in 2021
- Sales increased a lot in 2022, making the top 10 on the PSN Downloads charts in both regions.
- Strong sales began when The Last of Us Part I was released.
- Making the GSD Top 20 rankings 3 times within the last year.
- Slight increase in Japan sales.

Both The Last of Us Remake and Last of Us TV show gave this game a significant boost

I would bet the sales are closer to 15 million than 10 million.

Quick Breakdown to easily compare a title considered undoubtedly successful versus one some argue against.

As of Feb 2022:
GOW 4 - 21m Units - 597m USD
$28.43 PPU

TLOU2 - 10.3m Units - 447m USD
$43.4 PPU

Shows GOW 4 was bundled like crazy hence the lower PPU. Or sold at low price as well but people did claim that about TLOU2. Wrongly now it seems.

Likely Part 2 is now ahead in Net Sales USD and only behind in Unit sales a lot of which would be due to the millions of bundles it didn't get. I'd now estimate with Part 2s strong 2022 and early 2023 it's in an around 15 million units but that's a pure guess of course.

A lesson learnt for GAF anyway. Unit sales never told near the full story.

Last edited:
Quick Breakdown to easily compare a title considered undoubtedly successful versus one some argue against.

As of Feb 2022:
GOW 4 - 21m Units - 597m USD
$28.43 PPU

TLOU2 - 10.3m Units - 447m USD
$43.4 PPU

Shows GOW 4 was bundled like crazy hence the lower PPU. Or sold at low price as well but people did claim that about TLOU2. Wrongly now it seems.

Likely Part 2 is now ahead in Net Sales USD and only behind in Unit sales a lot of which would be due to the millions of bundles it didn't get. I'd now estimate with Part 2s strong 2022 and early 2023 it's in an around 15 million units but that's a pure guess of course.

A lesson learnt for GAF anyway. Unit sales never told near the full story.
As of January 2020, GOW 2018 sales were about 15.33m units and about 2.5m units were bundled.

The data leaks also revealed other games bundled numbers and the highest % is possibly coming from HZD with about 20% being bundled copies.

The leaks at the end also suggest that their first party is not “heavily bundled”, but in the case of GOW 2018, the game got to $25 during BF 2018 and it was $9.99 in June 2019, a little bit less than a year and a half after launch.

Woopah

As of January 2020, GOW 2018 sales were about 15.33m units and about 2.5m units were bundled.

The data leaks also revealed other games bundled numbers and the highest % is possibly coming from HZD with about 20% being bundled copies.

The leaks at the end also suggest that their first party is not “heavily bundled”, but in the case of GOW 2018, the game got to $25 during BF 2018 and it was $9.99 in June 2019, a little bit less than a year and a half after launch.
The bundled amount for GOW will be higher than that, since the 2.5 million doesn't include Europe. So bundles probably count for over 20% of God of War and over 25% for HZD.

Last edited:
Thats my point. sales numbers is not everthing, as long as devs and publishers are willing it can happen.

In Bloodborne's case FROM just moved on from that game and they more interested working on different projects.....one day they might combat back to it if Sony is willing but who knows.
I bet they are saving Bloodborne 2 for a rainy day

phaedrus

I should send Sony my resume. They need some serious cybersecurity help.
Nah, you're just gonna do what their current Cybersec guys did: take the money and sub out the actual work to some interns/3rd World part timers.

(How else to explain the number of breaches Sony has had for the last 15 years?)

Top Bottom