• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS First Party Sales Figured LEAKED! Days Gone and Bloodborne 7.5 Million. DriveClub 5 million.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don’t need a sequel. It would dilute the original game which completely resolves its narrative. It’s a one and done experience. We already got the most amazing DLC anyway.

And Krueger is gone and this was his baby.
As much as I love Returnal and would want more to play, I agree with this.

I just hope that HM's next game has some of Returnal's shooting and gameplay DNA and exceeds even Returnal for me. ❤️

SlimySnake SlimySnake Add these to the OP as well pls. If not I'll start a new thread myself:

pTPSbrn.png

6ZYSc3N.png

TbLJXoA.png

GI3VB48.png

Mister Wolf

Do you mind telling us how many copies it should have sold to be considered a sucTommie.

As I've seen mediocre titles in the past generations garner success being launch titles such as Red Steel for the Wii selling over a million. One would think Returnal which was critically acclaimed should have at least sold 3 million or damn near close to that.

Boss Mog

So all the shit about how Days Gone didn't sell well was fake news. The game wasn't perfect but showed a lot of potential with ample room for improvements but I guess the fact that woke games "journalists" didn't like a game with white bikers as the focus was more important.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
As I've seen mediocre titles in the past generations garner success being launch titles such as Red Steel for the Wii selling over a million. One would think Returnal which was critically acclaimed should have at least sold 3 million or damn near close to that.

There are critically acclaimed games that struggle to sell over 2 million copies.

A game is a flop because it didn't meet your sales expectations. A game flops when it sells less than its budget and they don't make a profit.

GHG

SlimySnake SlimySnake Add these to the OP as well pls. If not I'll start a new thread myself:

pTPSbrn.png

6ZYSc3N.png

TbLJXoA.png

GI3VB48.png

GT Sport is the second best selling GT title.

Paired with the fact that iracing is by far the most active racing game on PC, it goes to show that the online discourse that goes on about "muh single player racing campaign" is from a very vocal minority in this day and age.

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome a return of the old SP structure, but in reality racing games lend themselves well to competition vs real people. The fact that they didn't focus on and expand on sport mode in GT7 is a travesty.

Last edited:
Looking at Insomniac's schedule doesn't give a ton of hope for new games. Their next original IP is slated for the PS6 gen. Of course we don't get to see other studios, but under Hulst they have done a lot of remasters and sequels. We'll see what the next few years bring. By the end of next year he will have been in the role for 5 years and we should be seeing only games that he greenlit or pushed for.
Spider-Man 2 was the first game approved by the current management. The only other game announced by them was Wolverine. A new gaming IP. We have no idea about all other studios...
The remasters are done literally so they keep smaller parts of each studio busy while some games are in pre-production, like TLOU2 Remastered. If anything it looks like good management.

Ronin_7

Banned
Spider-Man 2 was the first game approved by the current management. The only other game announced by them was Wolverine. A new gaming IP. We have no idea about all other studios...
The remasters are done literally so they keep smaller parts of each studio busy while some games are in pre-production, like TLOU2 Remastered. If anything it looks like good management.
Excellent post, not usually here 😂

John Wick

It did not. Thats TLOU PS4 version. When you combine the PS3 version the total of TLOU copies are way higher.

Almost 13 million for GT Sport, 12.7m sold. Last oficial info i think was about 8 million players, some years ago. Pretty good for a game that released barebones and had weak sales at the start.
You can't combine PS3 and PS4 sales of one and then claim it's more when only using PS4 sales for the other title.
GT is GT. I don't know why people are surprised? It has legs. Kaz and PD support their games like no one else. Take GT7 release and now with the updates. I give Kaz kudos for looking after his fan base. Can't wait for the next update for GT7.

Woopah

mmm can’t say that. the bundled game is not free. it’s why all bundled games (nintendo,sony,xbox)are counted as a sale. it’s why devs want to be bundled. it’s a big deal.
Why can't we say that?

It is counted as a unit sale yes, but there's also a reason Sony and Nintendo record bundled software as something seperate, and that's because of the impact it has on revenue.

If someone buys God of War for $60, thats $60 of revenue. But if someone bought a God of War + PS4 bundle, for the same prices a a stand alone PS4, then thats not going to be $60 in revenue.

Famipan

Wait, that doesn't make sense since we know from their latest report that the digital split is 67% for software that sells both physically and digitally (3P + 1P). Don't have the 1st party split on hand but surely it's not 75%? 🤔

aMclqsC.png
Looks as if the grey graph for Full Game Digital Download ratio does a jump every holiday season.
During the PS4-era there was no digital-only PS4 console like PS5 Digital, which helps the ratio rise from 2013-2023

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As far as part 2 goes not sure why people are even talking about the copies sold. This is old info.

Naughty Dog announced in June 2022 it had sold over 10 million copies "earlier that year". All this tells us it had actually sold 10 million copies by December 2021 or Jan 2022 which is better that some peoples assumptions when ND initially made that sales announcement.

Plus we also now for the nearly entire year of 2022 it was making the top sales list on PSN. Was the only PlayStation game as old that was doing so as well.

And for the early months of 2023 it was even topping it with the HBO show bump.

So if anything this leak actually has them at a higher number now than people where initially guessing.

I feel like people forgot the initial 10 mil announcement was in June 2022 so this actually puts the numbers in an even better place as It shows they achieved those numbers much much earlier and it was a game that wasn't bundled much as well.

And now with the Spiderman: Miles Morales sales data out we can come to even more conclusions. In one leak (sales data for Feb 2022) the game sold 10.2 million copies. But in a later leak (sales data for June 2023), the game has now sold 14.4 million copies. So in 16 additional months, the game sold another 4.2 million copies.

That's NOT including what it would have sold worldwide since June of this year. And we KNOW for a fact that the PS5 sales numbers have been crazy in the 2nd half of this year. There's no reason to think TLOU2 hasn't sold close to or around another 5 million units since Feb 2022, given where it's been on the chart versus Spiderman: MM.

So I'd say TLOU2, being at or around 15 million units is overly fantastic!

Taycan77

Paired with the fact that iracing is by far the most active racing game on PC, it goes to show that the online discourse that goes on about "muh single player racing campaign" is from a very vocal minority in this day and age.

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome a return of the old SP structure, but in reality racing games lend themselves well to competition vs real people. The fact that they didn't focus on and expand on sport mode in GT7 is a travesty.
Looking at all public metrics (sales charts, RRP, Users) GT7 is significantly outperforming GTS. I believe much of that is because there was a return to a traditional Gran Turismo structure. Sport mode can still be (and is being) expanded, plus other online focused challenges like weekly Time Trials, tie in's with GTWS events and so on. Last time I looked the Trophy for competing in Sport mode was earned by around 15% of players.

But it was with the single player focused Spec II update that PD announced active user numbers had doubled.

Looking ahead it seems a near certainty GT7 will become the best selling Gran Turismo to date. It launched at the start of the gen to favourable reviews, continues to get substantial updates, PSVR2 support, plus another PR boost from the movie. PD & GT7 will also likely be one of the devs/titles Sony use to promote the advantages of PS5 Pro for existing games.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Net Sales in USD and therefore PPU for Miles Morales, TLOU Part 2 and Ghost are very good.

And that's all the way back in Feb 2022. Look at them compared to GOd of War 4 which "sold" much more units.

Not far off and by now very possibly ahead in terms of actual cash.

Can only assume that's the bundle affect in action. Goes to show Units is certainly not the fulls story especially with some games bundled in the millions and some not bundled at all.

GOW 4 at 21 million United at 597m USD

Part 2 at 10.3 million units after 1 and a bit years on sale at 447m USD. Likely ahead in dollar sales now imo.

Puts to bed any "bad" sales narrative.

Now break that down by year. GOW 2018 was out for 3.5 years and TLOU2 was out for 1.5 years (by the time this sales data was captured).

GOW 2018: $171 million per year in revenue
TLOU2: $298 million per year in revenue

Bloodborne selling around 8 million copies isn't something surprising. Soulsborne is a console genre, most of it's (genre's) players are console players, because that's where it was born.

Demon's Souls at 2 million+ (keep in mind this data is of feb 2022) is slightly underwhelming because upfront data 1 year from launch of the PS5 and the game, and it's mostly due to the supply constraints and COVID playing spoilsport.

And now with the Spiderman: Miles Morales sales data out we can come to even more conclusions. In one leak (sales data for Feb 2022) the game sold 10.2 million copies. But in a later leak (sales data for June 2023), the game has now sold 14.4 million copies. So in 16 additional months, the game sold another 4.2 million copies.

That's NOT including what it would have sold worldwide since June of this year. And we KNOW for a fact that the PS5 sales numbers have been crazy in the 2nd half of this year. There's no reason to think TLOU2 hasn't sold close to or around another 5 million units since Feb 2022, given where it's been on the chart versus Spiderman: MM.

So I'd say TLOU2, being at or around 15 million units is overly fantastic!

Yeah I think with the show boost especially it is probably in and around 15 million. Give or take a million.

Also Id say it's a safe bet that in Net Sales USD it has likely overtaken GOW 4 by now as it wasn't far off in Feb 2022.

That would make TLOU Part 2 the second most successful Sony PS4 game of all time in terms of actual cash.

Likely the ranking in net sales is now:
1. Spiderman
2. TLOU2
3. GOW 4
4: Horizon Zero Dawn

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Sony threw the baby out with bathwater on Driveclub. The brand had legs and could have been built into a major franchise with further release/s and refinement during the PS4's success. No doubt in my mind.

There's a significant chunk of PS fans who like racing but find GT sterile; even taking into consideration the fact it's a sim. There was room for an arcade/simcade racer in the stack and they fumbled it. Some would argue third parties do that; frankly I'd disagree, the majority of third party arcade/simcade racing properties since the early PS4 days til now have been completely mediocre. Driveclub's core driving experience was on the next level, as was the technical prowess.

Sony doesn't want any competition to GT. GT is a HUGE money maker. And DriveClub didn't do gangbusters. It only sold very well. Not fireworks well. It's crazy, but that's the stupid decision my man Shu went with.

IMO Horizon did pretty good and better than expected. 51M $ on PC as well and fell jus short of 500M $ on console. Days Gone, Bloodborne also reached 265M and DC obviously will not get a sequel also reached 124M $. Not sure these are bad numbers, may be poor ratings also did not help. I think Sony also cares about ratings apart from sales. Though not sure why they left Bloodborne. Even a 60fps and resolution bump would sell in millions.

And considering the Horizon port probably cost $2-3 million..........$51 million in revenue is INCREDIBLE!

Murdok

Bait: A Console Warrior's Tale
the numbers are very low, especially for those who call the Ps an "exclusive console's"

Let's be honest, Sony games are overrated, not that they are bad, but many are overrated, mainly in the past because of exclusivity. Playstation owners live off Cod, FIFA and GTA, no matter how much they try to deny it. Sony knows this that's why they cry for acquisitions from Ms.

If you take the amount of sales of Sony games compared to the console base, the numbers are ridiculously low. If you look at Nintendo's numbers, you'll see who really has quality games and who actually sells consoles because of exclusives. Sony remains above Xbox, because of the brand and nostalgia and because it has better established itself in most countries, and as the vast majority of people make a living from third party games, only these games maintain a constant sale of Playstations, maintaining the Sony where they are.

Last edited:

Woopah

the numbers are very low, especially for those who call the Ps an "exclusive console's"

Let's be honest, Sony games are overrated, not that they are bad, but many are overrated, mainly in the past because of exclusivity. Playstation owners live off Cod, FIFA and GTA, no matter how much they try to deny it. Sony knows this that's why they cry for acquisitions from Ms.

If you take the amount of sales of Sony games compared to the console base, the numbers are ridiculously low. If you look at Nintendo's numbers, you'll see who really has quality games and who actually sells consoles because of exclusives. Sony remains above Xbox, because of the brand and nostalgia and because it has better established itself in most countries, and as the vast majority of people make a living from third party games, only these games maintain a constant sale of Playstations, maintaining the Sony where they are.
Its not that Sony's numbers are low, its that Nintendo's are high.

The performance of Sony's first party titles is very very good, and comparable with major third party publishers.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony selling games should be celebrated, what sega did was their choice. Think about having a sega console today.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Paired with the fact that iracing is by far the most active racing game on PC,
Say what?
SteamDB
Iracing - 124 concurrent players
Asseto Corsa - 11000 concurrent players

edit: not necessarily racing per se but Beamng.drive - 17000 concurrent players

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

It maybe surprising but people were realy playing gt league single player in gt sport ;d

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Say what?
SteamDB
Iracing - 124 concurrent players
Asseto Corsa - 11000 concurrent players

edit: not necessarily racing per se but Beamng.drive - 17000 concurrent players

Most iracers don't use steam. You get much better deals on your subscription and car/track purchased (as well as access to discounts) by using their stand alone app and website.

Figures are here:

poppabk

Most iracers don't use steam. You get much better deals on your subscription and car/track purchased (as well as access to discounts) by using their stand alone app and website.

Figures are here:

I stand corrected, still I'm pretty sure that Asseto Corsa is bigger - still supports your position though.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm just going by wiki estimated sales. Also the chart I posted above seems in line.

The Last of Us is one of the best-selling PlayStation 3 games, and Remastered is among the best-selling PlayStation 4 games.[195] By August 2014, the game had sold eight million copies: seven million on PlayStation 3 and one million on PlayStation 4.[196] By April 2018, the game sold 17 million copies across both consoles.[197] According to Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad, the game had sold over 20 million units by October 2019.[198]

These numbers are probably more accurate.

The Last of Us franchise sold over 37 million units as of December 2022.

The Last of Us on PS3 and PS4 sold over 20 million by October 2019
The Last of Us Part Part II over 10 million by Spring 2022
The Remake released in September 2022

Last of Us PS3/PS4/PS5 sold an additional 5 million copies from November 2019 - December 2022
Last of Us Part II sold an additional 2 million copies from June 2022-December 2022

Puscifer

Unless I'm reading that wrong I'm more surprised that digital is lower than I thought in terms of percentages because seeing all that nonsense about 80% of all game sales being digital just seems false now.

Fake

Unless I'm reading that wrong I'm more surprised that digital is lower than I thought in terms of percentages because seeing all that nonsense about 80% of all game sales being digital just seems false now.

Internet folks always give their shit takes in this regards.

As long as we have Christmas, Black Friday , birthday parties and others holyday/comemorative days the physical media will still be the best choise because is flexible in comparison with digital. You own, resell, give as a secret gift... just take your poison.

Just taking into account the PS5 having more than 80% marketshare over PS5 DE already tell the true.

poppabk

I've got a feeling that is %age of revenue once you include digital add-ons, fortnite etc.

Klosshufvud

Crazy how only a few million units separated Bloodborne from Sony's top end blockbuster budget AAA titles. And people will still claim that Japan Studios was a justified closure. They co-developed one of PS4's most successful titles and on a much smaller budget than their western counterparts. It was a travesty what Sony did to them.

Top Bottom