• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS First Party Sales Figured LEAKED! Days Gone and Bloodborne 7.5 Million. DriveClub 5 million.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As for R&C profitability, those charts show Net Sales, not Profits. If all the dev costs and marketing costs were included to get a new number, thats the real profits.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Sorry bro but these are mostly PS4 era sales. Pre 2022.

Latest figures from Sony's own fiscal year reports state that the digital split is now 75% for their first party games.
Looking at this list that can't be true, not in such a short amount of time.

So clearly that 75% must not be for newer releases, but has to be the overall figure of games sold, which would include bargain bin PSN sales of older games (eg Horizon).

nial

Gold Member
This talk about TLOU2 and Bloodborne is getting boring. Come on, we got another leak featuring disc/bundle/digital data as of January 2020 and... Astro Bot Rescue Mission million seller confirmed!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That game really have y'all talking crazy lol

It's the 2nd game you really don't have enough data to predict if it will be successful or not . But for a game to sell 10 million in a few years while being exclusive to 1 platform, (a platform that's on its way out by the way ) that's right 10 million on PS4 while releasing the year that PS5 came out & the PS5: version haven't released yet. But it's "only 10 million" lol

When was the last time Halo or Gears of War sold 10 million?

What are you people even talking about?

You look like fools lol
So you're saying God of War & Horizon are the bigger IP's
But 10mill is good for IP like this over a 3 year period right?

Infamous Second son came out in March 2014.

Their next game released in july of 2020. They literally took 6 years and 4 months. Longer than GG, SSM, ND, Insomniac, PD, Evo Studios, and well everyone other than Sony Bend who took 7 years to make Days Gone.
Bro we saw the lost prophecy game they were working on as recent as late 2015 I think December leak, but we know it got cancelled. Ghost was absolutely not in production until late 2015 or early 2016

Not to mention they had a total staff of about 150-160 in the whole studio. Which I believe is about half of ND and SSM.

Last edited:

TGO

Bigger news is the Physical Vs Digital ratio
Paints a completely different picture to what we were being told.
I mean look at Death Stranding
hyMq187.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Something is weird about the disc/digital ratios. On one hand, the leak data shows first party games are around 40+%, but recent reports show it's around 70% for years. There's no way the digital ratio immediately jumped 25% flipping from FY 2021 to FY 2022

Page 9. You can even see it's around 70% since 2022.

***** There may be a logical explanations for this. That 70% was never an apples to apples comparison of games that have both disc and digital.

1. The overall ~70% rate includes ALL games first and third party. Lots of games dont even have a disc copy, but that 100% digital game is still counted (ie. indie games). So all those farming sims, metroidvanias, solitaire, etc... are count towards the 70%, while not having any disc sales to counter

2. Perhaps for all games with both disc and digital, third party games skew more to digital while first party games skew more disc

LbIZURp.jpg

Ob20SVq.jpg

Last edited:

TGO

Something is weird about the disc/digital ratios. On one hand, the leak data shows first party games are around 40+%, but recent reports show it's around 70% for years. There's no way the digital ratio immediately jumped 25% flipping from FY 2021 to FY 2022

LbIZURp.jpg

Ob20SVq.jpg
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No clue, but maybe...
giphy.webp

Edit: yeah that's how I see it.
PSN is doing great, but when it comes to per game.
Physical is still dominant and makes up most of the sales.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
As for R&C profitability, those charts show Net Sales, not Profits. If all the dev costs and marketing costs were included to get a new number, thats the real profits.

Insomniac projects for Ratchet & Clank were 2.2 million lifetime units sold. The total cost was 81m.

They told 1.6 million in the first month and 2.3 million in 8 months.

The game was no doubt profitable.

Woopah

I mean look at Death Stranding
hyMq187.jpg
Told by who?

***** There may be a logical explanations for this. That 70% was never an apples to apples comparison of games that have both disc and digital.

1. The overall ~70% rate includes ALL games first and third party. Lots of games dont even have a disc copy, but that 100% digital game is still counted (ie. indie games). So all those farming sims, metroidvanias, solitaire, etc... are count towards the 70%, while not having any disc sales to counter

2. Perhaps for all games with both disc and digital, third party games skew more to digital while first party games skew more disc

LbIZURp.jpg

Ob20SVq.jpg
Its number 2. Multiplayer tends to have much higher digital than single player. And Sony is mostly single player. On top of that, digital sales are driven a lot by discounted catalogue titles.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

The Last of Us Remastered 18.2 million copies sold in 7 years, 6 months.
Horizon Zero Dawn 19.2 million copies sold in 5 years
God of War 20.8 million copies sold in 4 years, 11 months
The Last of Us Part II 9.6 million copies sold in 1 year, 8 months.

People are wondering why you guys are comparing 1 year and 8 month sales to games that have been out for much longer.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Last of Us Remastered 18.2 million copies sold in 7 years, 6 months.
Horizon Zero Dawn 19.2 million copies sold in 5 years
God of War 20.8 million copies sold in 4 years, 11 months
The Last of Us Part II 9.6 million copies sold in 1 year, 8 months.

People are wondering why you guys are comparing 1 year and 8 month sales to games that have been out for much longer.
Pretty sure LOU PS3 + LOU Remastered = 18M. Not LOU Remastered alone.

onQ123

The hell are you even talking about?

Even though you're saying some random stuff that has nothing to do with anything. Those games actually have Current Gen versions while Last Of Us 2 was released on PS4 while people were moving on to PS5 & still sold over 10 million .

Want proof that you're all full of it & trying to push a narrative?

Go find another game that sold 10 million with the 2nd game on 1 platform where people were pushing all this BS about the sales being disappointing?

Audiophile

Gold Member
Sony threw the baby out with bathwater on Driveclub. The brand had legs and could have been built into a major franchise with further release/s and refinement during the PS4's success. No doubt in my mind.

There's a significant chunk of PS fans who like racing but find GT sterile; even taking into consideration the fact it's a sim. There was room for an arcade/simcade racer in the stack and they fumbled it. Some would argue third parties do that; frankly I'd disagree, the majority of third party arcade/simcade racing properties since the early PS4 days til now have been completely mediocre. Driveclub's core driving experience was on the next level, as was the technical prowess.

Neo_game

IMO Horizon did pretty good and better than expected. 51M $ on PC as well and fell jus short of 500M $ on console. Days Gone, Bloodborne also reached 265M and DC obviously will not get a sequel also reached 124M $. Not sure these are bad numbers, may be poor ratings also did not help. I think Sony also cares about ratings apart from sales. Though not sure why they left Bloodborne. Even a 60fps and resolution bump would sell in millions.

MrA

Banned
Gran Turismo Sport sold 13m goddamn. I wouldn't be surprised if GT7 sold 20m at the end of its life cycle. That's crazy.
Gran Turismo has always been huge remember gt 1 and 2 are the 2 biggest ps1 sellers and gt 3 and 4 are 2 and 3 third biggest ps2 games, and gt 5 is number 2 on ps3, and gt psp was number 4 on psp, the only gt that was a huge hit was 6 but remember that was released out of nowhere after the ps4 launch

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup, that 90m milestone of Gran Turismo is totally accurate even if you don't include GT7. It's crazy PD don't even brag about GTS sales numbers even though that sht is worth bragging about specially when it comes to racing games these days. Selling more than 10 million copies for a track based racer ain't an easy feat.
I hear ya. Its such a bankable franchise you'd think they'd be PRing sales thresholds at every chance. doesnt seem so.

I'm thinking since PD and GT has roots in Japanese development, they are less about PR bragging than American studios.

Last edited:

blue velvet

Gran Turismo has always been huge remember gt 1 and 2 are the 2 biggest ps1 sellers and gt 3 and 4 are 2 and 3 third biggest ps2 games, and gt 5 is number 2 on ps3, and gt psp was number 4 on psp, the only gt that was a huge hit was 6 but remember that was released out of nowhere after the ps4 launch
Yes, I'm aware GT is huge. But I remember browsing GTplanet a few years back, the naysayers there been saying the series is dying after a disappointing performance of the 6th game, selling only 5m copies. Now GT is in a better state than ever, Sport sold more than 10m, the series have its own movie, and GT7 might end up being the best selling in the franchise. It's crazy to me because this franchise is 25 years old and a track based racer. It's not easy to maintain that consistency and longevity.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Pretty sure LOU PS3 + LOU Remastered = 18M. Not LOU Remastered alone.

Naughty Dog announced that the franchise sold over 37 million units as of December 2022.

If The Last of Us + Remaster sold 18.2 million and Last of Us Part II sold 10 million then that would leave 8.8 million for additional Last of Us Part II sales and Last of Us Remake.

Part II

March - US - 15th - EU - 13th
April - US - 14th - EU - 11th | Last of Us Part II sold over 10 million copies
August - US - 10th - EU - 7th
September - US - 11th - EU - 15th | Last of Us Part I release date
November - US - 4th - EU - 4th | 12th GSD Europe
December - US - 7th - EU - 5th - JP - 15th

Part I

September - US - 3rd - EU - 3rd - JP - 4th | 5th NPD | 5th GSD Europe
October - US - 11th
November - US - 18th
December - US - 20th

If count 7 million for the PS3 version then that would leave 1.8 million for Part I & Part II sales. Based on the charts, there's a good chance Last of Us surpassed 1 million within the last 6-7 months of 2022.

MrA

Banned
Yes, I'm aware GT is huge. But I remember browsing GTplanet a few years back, the naysayers there been saying the series is dying after a disappointing performance of the 6th game, selling only 5m copies. Now GT is in a better state than ever, Sport sold more than 10m, the series have its own movie, and GT7 might end up being the best selling in the franchise. It's crazy to me because this franchise is 25 years old and a track based racer. It's not easy to maintain that consistency and longevity.
Quite the take they made on 6 as it was clearly hobbled by the brilliant decision to release it in the shadow of thebps4s launch

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Naughty Dog announced that the franchise sold over 37 million units as of December 2022.

If The Last of Us + Remaster sold 18.2 million and Last of Us Part II sold 10 million then that would leave 8.8 million for additional Last of Us Part II sales and Last of Us Remake.

Part II

March - US - 15th - EU - 13th
April - US - 14th - EU - 11th | Last of Us Part II sold over 10 million copies
August - US - 10th - EU - 7th
September - US - 11th - EU - 15th | Last of Us Part I release date
November - US - 4th - EU - 4th | 12th GSD Europe
December - US - 7th - EU - 5th - JP - 15th

Part I

September - US - 3rd - EU - 3rd - JP - 4th | 5th NPD | 5th GSD Europe
October - US - 11th
November - US - 18th
December - US - 20th

If count 7 million for the PS3 version then that would leave 1.8 million for Part I & Part II sales. Based on the charts, there's a good chance Last of Us surpassed 1 million within the last 6-7 months of 2022.
I'm just going by wiki estimated sales. Also the chart I posted above seems in line.

The Last of Us is one of the best-selling PlayStation 3 games, and Remastered is among the best-selling PlayStation 4 games.[195] By August 2014, the game had sold eight million copies: seven million on PlayStation 3 and one million on PlayStation 4.[196] By April 2018, the game sold 17 million copies across both consoles.[197] According to Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad, the game had sold over 20 million units by October 2019.[198]

Sony threw the baby out with bathwater on Driveclub. The brand had legs and could have been built into a major franchise with further release/s and refinement during the PS4's success. No doubt in my mind.

There's a significant chunk of PS fans who like racing but find GT sterile; even taking into consideration the fact it's a sim. There was room for an arcade/simcade racer in the stack and they fumbled it. Some would argue third parties do that; frankly I'd disagree, the majority of third party arcade/simcade racing properties since the early PS4 days til now have been completely mediocre. Driveclub's core driving experience was on the next level, as was the technical prowess.

Just stop it. Not only did it not sell well, but it has a 7.1 on metacritic and a 6.3 user review score on MC.

This was not the first stumble from Evolution Studios. Nearly every game they released scored less than the one before it and they were struggling to perform in terms of revenue as well.

Everyone says sales don't matter, but then they want to complain ad nauseam about their favorite games not continuing.

Sony can always jump back into the market if they think that there is a market, but it no way did it make sense to continue with Evolution Studios, and the proof of that is that the staff that worked on that game went on to work for Codemasters who are making the 3rd party games you say are mediocre.

The director and producer of Driveclub went on to make:

Project Cars 3 70 MC 3.9 User
OnRush 75 MC 60 User

The designer of DriveClub went on to make GRID 73 MC 60 User... sound familiar?

nial

Gold Member
Gran Turismo has been in a renaissance since Sport Spec II back in 2019, especially after more than a decade of shortcomings.

Zuzu

They possibly could've built Driveclub into a Forza Horizon-like franchise considering the numbers it sold. Perhaps after making a direct sequel they could've changed the franchise into an open-world arcade racer with that Driveclub DNA and incorporated a lot of multiplayer/social connection components. Then they would've had their own Horizon style experience on Playstation. (That's not to say that this would be best for Driveclub but I know that publishers and the mainstream market love their GaaS/open-world/multiplayer games and given the decent sales of Driveclub it could've been a good platform to build something like that.)

Last edited:
5 mil and 7.5 mil ain't what it used to be, especially when we know a large percentage of those numbers don't come from full priced copies.

You really need to be targeting 10, 15+ million plus for modern AAA.

You're forgetting that Sony is also trying to attract a customer base to make $$$ off their 30% store cut, and peripherals.

They've done well with the PS5, and that makes up for lower sales on their individual games.

But if they were to lose Call of Duty however..

Stooky

For example, GOW 4 sold 8.19 million in the Americas, but 2.1 million of that was from bundles which wouldn't generate a lot of revenue.
mmm can’t say that. the bundled game is not free. it’s why all bundled games (nintendo,sony,xbox)are counted as a sale. it’s why devs want to be bundled. it’s a big deal.

Last edited:
They possibly could've built Driveclub into a Forza Horizon-like franchise considering the numbers it sold. Perhaps after making a direct sequel they could've changed the franchise into an open-world arcade racer with that Driveclub DNA and incorporated a lot of multiplayer/social connection components. Then they would've had their own Horizon style experience on Playstation. (That's not to say that this would be best for Driveclub but I know that publishers and the mainstream market love their GaaS/open-world/multiplayer games and given the decent sales of Driveclub it could've been a good platform to build something like that.)

It's interesting how protective Polyphony Digital has been when it comes to Gran Turismo. Even Gran Turismo on PSP was developed by them.

Through the years, they easily could have had a Gran Turismo Arcade game come out by another developer, but they have never done that and you can see that the franchise is seen as pretty strong at the moment, I think at least in part due to that purity.

Forza has absolutely watered down their product with release after release and the Horizon spin-off. They wanted to stop counting Forza in sequence because they had already reached 8.

Polyphony Digital was even careful not to give Sport the number 7.

Two very different approaches to brand management and two very different outcomes.

All that being said, I think Evolution Studios was a victim of timing and management. They were releasing a game a year almost and were never really allowed to cook like Polyphony Digital. Their largest gap between releases was 3 years.

Sony obviously got tired of licensing racing games around 2005 and 2007 when they stopped licensing Formula One and WRC. Probably no coincidence that Sony got the WRC and F1 license for Gran Turismo in 2010 (GT5). They also added Nascar and Super GT.

Wonder if Sony will ever return to those licenses.

Days Gone and Bloodborne got screwed. Those are the kind of numbers you greenlight a sequel and do a PC port. What the heck were they thinking?!?! Especially when you consider both of those were not established IP.

What The Hell Wtf GIF by CBS

Hulst's work won't be seen for a while and literally most of his decisions aren't games we currently know. What safe sequels? lmao.
Looking at Insomniac's schedule doesn't give a ton of hope for new games. Their next original IP is slated for the PS6 gen. Of course we don't get to see other studios, but under Hulst they have done a lot of remasters and sequels. We'll see what the next few years bring. By the end of next year he will have been in the role for 5 years and we should be seeing only games that he greenlit or pushed for.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're forgetting that Sony is also trying to attract a customer base to make $$$ off their 30% store cut, and peripherals.

They've done well with the PS5, and that makes up for lower sales on their individual games.

But if they were to lose Call of Duty however..
MS and Sony have a deal for COD to be on PS systems for 10 years. So by the time the contract ends (and assuming it doesn't keep going), it'll be 2033 or 2034. At that time PS6 will be on it's way out soon and PS7 is around the corner.

Sony has nothing to be worried about the COD train leaving without them anytime soon.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Days Gone and Bloodborne got screwed. Those are the kind of numbers you greenlight a sequel and do a PC port. What the heck were they thinking?!?! Especially when you consider both of those were not established IP.

What The Hell Wtf GIF by CBS
Days Gone is getting a movie which may lead to a new game, Bloodborne is getting a TV show and From are said to be working on a PS5 exclusive. People just gotta have patience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom