• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alligator Brewing's plan to empty seat Richard Spencer in Florida

Acorn

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59e788b0e4b00905bdae27de

huffpost said:
When Richard Spencer and his small group of white supremacist fanboys show up at the University of Florida in Gainesville on Thursday, they may be addressing an awfully small crowd.

That’s thanks to a genius plan hatched by the folks at Alligator Brewing, who have pledged to give a free beer to anyone who picks up two free tickets to attend Spencer’s talk, then swings by the brewery instead.

With 800 tickets available, the brewery could hand out as many as 400 free beers.

“We unfortunately can’t stop him from bringing his hate to Gainesville,” Alligator explained in an Instagram post announcing the campaign, “but we can empty the room so his disgusting message goes unheard.”

Pretty cool and smart move by the brewers. Hopefully it has an effect.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'll be in FL for Thanksgiving, if I see any of their beer I'll grab a six pack. Cool of them to do this.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
hopefully the tickets are marked to show they are used. Otherwise wouldn't you just be giving nazis free beer?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That awkward moment when your significant other finds a ticket for a Nazi event in your pocket and you have to explain you just really like a good IPA.

entremet

Finally. You need to use different tactics with these idiots. They want the violence. They're literally begging for it.

TraBuch

Banned
That awkward moment when your significant other finds a ticket for a Nazi event in your pocket and you have to explain you just really like a good IPA.
That awkward moment when your significant other finds a ticket for a Nazi event in your pocket and gets mad because you didn't invite them.

KoopaTheCasual

My one fear/hope, is that the event doesn't "release unclaimed seats" for people at the door, so that people who didn't buy tickets actually can't get in and hear the hateful speech.

It's a cool idea, but it won't work. If they run out of tickets they'll fill seats 15 minutes prior to the start of the show with people waiting in line for stand by.

Pretty sure it even says this on the ticket.

devilhawk

My one fear/hope, is that the event doesn't "release unclaimed seats" for people at the door, so that people who didn't buy tickets actually can't get in and hear the hateful speech.
I think this is usually done in some capacity. I remember reading in a GAF thread months ago about Coulter or Milo or somebody doing this.

I do like the strategy. I also like beer.

Lunar15

Finally. You need to use different tactics with these idiots. They want the violence. They're literally begging for it.

This. I'm 100% for protesting Nazi's and god damn do these fuckers deserve to get punched in the face, but I also can't deny that this is really all part of the tactic.

I've worked in the exact building he's speaking. I can speak with some authority that this won't work, regardless of their good intentions.

Why is that?

If a free show is at or near capacity, they'll take inventory of how many empty seats are left right before the show and let people waiting in standby inside.

Although I can also speak with some authority that the people that actually work in the building do NOT want him there, so maybe they'll make an exception to their normal policy in this case.

Acorn

If a free show is at or near capacity, they'll take inventory of how many empty seats are left right before the show and let people waiting in standby inside.

Although I can also speak with some authority that the people that actually work in the building do NOT want him there, so maybe they'll make an exception to their normal policy in this case.
Ah nuts, hopefully they forget about this policy.

Jarsonot

Cool idea, shame they'll fill the seats regardless.

It'd be better to fill the seats with people who just put their headphones in, close their eyes, and chill to their favorite music for awhile.

Got some friends that still live in G-ville. A lot of counter-protest mobilization went down last night.

Essentially chasing spots around town where they caught wind that these fucks were going to set up.

XShagrath

I'm in Orlando, and heard about this on the radio yesterday. Unfortunately, it's not going to do anything to lessen the amount of hateful people going to this event.

UF is not going to be distributing the tickets through their normal ticketing channels, and therefore, the Alt-Right people will give out the tickets through whatever system they have, guaranteeing that the place is filled with as many racist assholes as they can fit in there.

Top Bottom