• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I only one bothered by how Xbox One sleep mode often doesn’t work and the games just shut down?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Having played a lot of PS4 in this generation, and recently Switch, I have become accustomed to putting the console to sleep with a game open and jumping right back in, in a few seconds.

Now I am playing my third party games on Xbox One X, RDR2 and Witcher 3 most recently.

I swear, at least every second time I return back the Xbox One games have just shut down and will run the opening animation all over, and it takes ages to load the game. With some luck there is a decent auto save. Can’t they really maintain that suspend state?

As I jump in and out of games many times a day, this shit is infuriating. Has me considering making PS4 Pro my primary despite the power disadvantage.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Or bothered by it?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Mine has done it once or twice.

What you are actually seeing is that the system has auto download it’s system wide OS level update, and ran it automatically. That’s why it does it from time to time.

It’s annoying when you’re not expecting it, but worth while in the long run.

Outrunner

This is a good example of low effort trolling that will get you reply banned. Like I have been.
You are.

But only because no one else owns an Xbox One

Caayn

Sounds strange OP. I'm actually missing the option to disable games being suspended, we had it when the feature was still in beta.

What you are actually seeing is that the system has auto download it’s system wide OS level update, and ran it automatically. That’s why it does it from time to time.

Wouldn't you agree that that would only make sense if Chittagong's console is using an insider build? Normal OS updates shouldn't occur that frequently.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Are you game sharing with anyone as i don't think it works when you are sharing accounts.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Hmm, that does sound sensible, but did they push one out last night? My Witcher 3 was rebooted this morning.

Are you game sharing with anyone as i don't think it works when you are sharing accounts.

No sharing, all me

Last edited:
Has me considering making PS4 Pro my primary despite the power disadvantage.
Why would you subjugate yourself to a worse experience that encompasses basically all games all the time versus being afflicted by a minor issue that might happen here or there and takes precedence over a small amount of time?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
They push them out quite frequently, actually. It’s not like one every 6 months. I get them quite often and I’m not an insider.

However it depends on what “frequently” must mean. If it’s like every other time then yeah something’s gone wrong there.

Usually, you can perform a full hardware reset. That does the trick. All saves are ok the cloud anyway.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
My suspend / sleep mode on X1X destroyed my external hard drive just before Christmas, it was a 5tb external with over 140 games installed on it.

I've never used the feature since.

Chittagong

Gold Member
They push them out quite frequently, actually. It’s not like one every 6 months. I get them quite often and I’m not an insider.

However it depends on what “frequently” must mean. If it’s like every other time then yeah something’s gone wrong there.

Usually, you can perform a full hardware reset. That does the trick. All saves are ok the cloud anyway.

Hmm... I think it has been two or three times this week. I will have to consider the full reset if it keeps happening.

I think Witcher’s habit of pushing the same narrated animation each time when loading makes it more noticeable. Same for the loud gunshot in the loading screen of RDR2.

My suspend / sleep mode on X1X destroyed my external hard drive just before Christmas, it was a 5tb external with over 140 games installed on it.

Humor me, how exactly are you correlating suspend/sleep to your HDD failing? That seems like some mental gymnastics trying to fill a void where you don't actually know why it died but are blaming it on this.

That's a pretty bold and frankly misleading statement.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah the suspend has nothing to do with your hard drive. That’s just silly talk. Dunno who told you that or where you read it but it’s just as intensive to a HDD to load a game as it is to resume a game. The HDD isn’t a part of this feature.

And if it’s 5-6 times in a WEEK then yeah go for the full reset. Your important save games are backed up to the cloud (just check you have it turned on first).

Humdinger

No, you're not. I remember hearing about the "pause" mode on the Xbox, before I got it, and how Sony was late to the party on that feature. Turns out, the Sony function works beautifully, and the MS one is either broken or untrustworthy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, this happens regularly when using Xbox One. Never on PS4. The feature is poorly implemented, I feel.

Discusguy

Never experienced anything screw ups with pause resume mode on my Xbox and I’m using an external drive. First I’ve ever heard of it.

Ramzy

I'd say suspend works about 3 out of 5 times for me, which is funny because i've come back to my Switch after over a month of inactivity and after looking through the store for a bit i'd go to launch BoTW and it would already be running and ready to go.

Pantz

I've heard Digital Foundry mention games like FFXV and Ace Combat 7 had minor performance issues when resuming from sleep.

Never do it myself, always close game before turning it off.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Never had a bad experience with it. But my Xbox is basically just my RDR machine, PC is for everything else.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The one thing I will say I see more often than I would like, is sometimes when I resume games my sound is screwed up and laggy, for a few seconds. Then it sorts itself out. Seems to be per game though and not a system wide thing though.

It’s odd though that i see people say the PS4 version is pretty much spot on, yet I can never get that working. I had to turn it off, because it would screw up loading, crash the game, or even just leave the system with fans on full when I turned off.

Very weird.

c0de

The one thing I will say I see more often than I would like, is sometimes when I resume games my sound is screwed up and laggy, for a few seconds. Then it sorts itself out. Seems to be per game though and not a system wide thing though.

It’s odd though that i see people say the PS4 version is pretty much spot on, yet I can never get that working. I had to turn it off, because it would screw up loading, crash the game, or even just leave the system with fans on full when I turned off.

Very weird.
Same happens on PS4. God of War is very bad in that case. Also Ace Combat has a much lower frame rate after suspend so neither system does it perfectly.
Still it's something I don't want to miss, it's a huge qol feature.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've never had it fail. I don't use it often though. Mainly just with Mafia III and RDR2. I only used PS4's with GTAV. Most of the time I quit games when I'm done playing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have mine set at the highest power performance setting and it works just fine. I've never actually payed attention to how often it fails. When it did, I felt like it was a connection issue with the game requiring internet or it was a profile issue. I've had games I've gotten with free trials where I needed to switch to that account just to log in for the benefits. I just hold down the button>turn console off>turn it back on later>play from where I left off. It might not matter, but I also use a surge protector.

Nitty_Grimes

Humor me, how exactly are you correlating suspend/sleep to your HDD failing? That seems like some mental gymnastics trying to fill a void where you don't actually know why it died but are blaming it on this.

That's a pretty bold and frankly misleading statement.

No its not, I left Forza 7 in suspend mode over night the next day the hard drive had died.

Well actually, I resumed the game but all the textures in the game were not loading in properly - when I quit back to the dash, I noticed loads of error messages saying this wasn't installed, that wasn't installed etc. Tried to load it again, told me Forza 7 wasn't installed... Tried other things then it dawned on me, none of the games were installed anymore. On looking in the settings, that hard drive was no longer recognised. It never worked again.

Why is it misleading? Nobody knows for sure I agree but pouring scorn on my suggestion is pretty much the same as your argument.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

only had state of decay 2 screw up with textures on me since launch and the bone is my primary console. never had issues with my external HDD though

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I've had issues with sleep mode on Xbox and PS4 consoles. I just don't use it anymore.

wipeout364

That's weird I've been using it for years on both of my xbox one systems and never lost a external hardrive. I'm not saying it didn't happen just trying to balance anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence.

Nitty_Grimes

Maybe the hard drive was always going to fail however it failed after having my game on suspend and resume in this instance.

Maybe just a conincidence.

No way am I trying to mislead anyone, you can all make up your own minds whether you use the feature or not.

Chittagong

Gold Member
No its not, I left Forza 7 in suspend mode over night the next day the hard drive had died.

Well actually, I resumed the game but all the textures in the game were not loading in properly - when I quit back to the dash, I noticed loads of error messages saying this wasn't installed, that wasn't installed etc. Tried to load it again, told me Forza 7 wasn't installed... Tried other things then it dawned on me, none of the games were installed anymore. On looking in the settings, that hard drive was no longer recognised. It never worked again.

Why is it misleading? Nobody knows for sure I agree but pouring scorn on my suggestion is pretty much the same as your argument.

Now that you mention this, I had the same thing happen with RDR2. When I resumed the game from sleep, the game was all corrupted and I started getting all kinds of hard disk errors. Black Ops 4 stopped working and I had to reload it multiple times. The corruption of RDR2 persisted and got worse, no matter all the clean installs. Ultimately I had to get a warranty replacement as the hard drive failed.

This is a brand new Xbox now, no corruption issues, just sleep mode issues. Whether the sleep mode crashes and hard drive failures are related, I don’t know.

The Alien

Banned
Been rocking sleep mode perfectly fine for a few years now. Not sure where it's not picking up for OP.

I would try to toggle it on and off again then shut down and restart. Or maybe a hard reset with the sleep mode option selected prior.

Sleep mode on this gen of consoles is possibly one of my favorite features/conveniences of this console gen.

Darak

This happens to me very often, probably because I'm using an external drive, as I don't remember having such problems before.

Many games would try to resume and then just go back to the home screen, were I must start them again (with no resume).

Some people claim no issue with external drives though, so YMMV.

Now that you mention this, I had the same thing happen with RDR2. When I resumed the game from sleep, the game was all corrupted and I started getting all kinds of hard disk errors. Black Ops 4 stopped working and I had to reload it multiple times. The corruption of RDR2 persisted and got worse, no matter all the clean installs. Ultimately I had to get a warranty replacement as the hard drive failed.

This is a brand new Xbox now, no corruption issues, just sleep mode issues. Whether the sleep mode crashes and hard drive failures are related, I don’t know.

That's not how things work, HDD's fail out of nowhere, no technology is immune to failure at a random point in time especially platter based hard disks.

It's misleading because it sends the message to people that if they use an intended system feature it's somehow going to damage their system hardware. If you could rationalize how it's damaging the drive that's one thing but you can't because it has nothing to do with the HDD to begin with. It's a stored state in the system memory, the HDD has ceased activity for the game.

To be completely honest no one should be using these features in the first place. Sure it's a convenience but the reality is you're storing software in memory for long periods of time and chances are regardless of how well coded a game appears to be it has some kind of memory leak. Depending on time away you're going to come back and things are not going load properly, the software will or will have crashed, there will be visual corruption, performance issues, certain game features wont work, you have to restart the software etc. That's the only problem that could result from something like this, I don't suspend and resume or use the low power functions for this very reason.

This doesn't even relate to just Xbox One, it's the same on my PS4, you don't turn it on for a week and come back to a game with a bunch of problems and it's pretty clear there's a memory leak. A fresh start to a game and system is always best, it's a clean slate and system state with nothing preloaded and clear memory.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I've noticed it, but chalked it up to HDMI turning off the system before the sleep mode was complete. IS it just a random thing?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It works for me, most of the time, but in my experience the Xbox gets increasingly unreliable in that regard if you do not turn it completely off every once in a while. Either way, that's annoying, I've never had another console whose features were dependent on the console being shut off every once and a while

dottme

I've had issues with sleep mode on Xbox and PS4 consoles. I just don't use it anymore.
This. But what I’m doing is to suspend a game after I saved. Resume shorten the time to restart the game.

Also, on Xbox One, all the backward compatible games don’t look to work well with suspend/resume.

Meowzers

XOneX works perfectly fine for me 100%. Never once have I run into this issue.

But, then again I've probably cursed myself by stating this fact.

TLZ

Banned
Why would you subjugate yourself to a worse experience that encompasses basically all games all the time versus being afflicted by a minor issue that might happen here or there and takes precedence over a small amount of time?
Because it's a big feature of this gen. If this happened to me I'd be furious and never go back to it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I cursed myself, I turned on my XBX for CD3 earlier and it started from the initial start screen, sleep mode fail. I'm not sure what does it. I do use an external drives. My PS4 has never done this.

Ramzy

It's not a minor feature. Sleep allows you to pause the game at the exact spot your at rather than loading your most recent save and having to re-do a bunch of work. It's an important quality of life feature.

Used to work for me without a problem, but lately it's been shutting down my apps even when i want to just quickly check something on youtube and get back into a game -_-

Skyfox

Yeah I lost a chunk of my playtime with resident evil 2 on my one X. Fully updated, not shared and only snoozed it for 5 minutes.

Lost about half an hour of progress and stopped playing for the evening.

I’ve had this problem on my old Xbox one as well but never with my PS4 or my Pro.

Top Bottom