• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Quake-like FPS DUSK Launches Final Campaign & Comes out of Early Access

Posted for Alexios Alexios

I've been playing this game for many months now and, to me, it's the most successful retro-style FPS I've yet to encounter. I won't name the wannabes, some had their own merits for sure, but none were as successful in capturing this kind of gameplay. In DUSK, everything is spot on. The visuals, the feel of the weapons, the level design. It's like a long lost Quake cousin you somehow didn't get to play when it originally released in 1997 or whenever and it's resurfaced now with a source port making it as good as ever by providing all the features you could wish for! The game comes with three campaigns/episodes and a Duskworld multiplayer component on top (I tend to suck hard at these games, I've not even tried it, ha!).

The last campaign was finally released a couple days ago and the game today launches officially and out of early access!

Store page (oh yeah, it's on a -16% sale currently):
Launch trailer:

This reveal trailer was what got me hyped the most back then:

Funnily enough it also includes retro-graphics options so you can run it high resolution but make it look like it's going at a super low one, or with a lower color palette, draw distance and so on. I prefer playing it with the best options looking sharp and having bloom and whatever else, similarly to how I'd play Quake these days, but they're neat to have (and to know of in case you see worse media).

The game is published by New Blood Interactive alongside other cool games but it's mostly the work of one man. Not that the composer and others don't deserve a shout out, but that's impressive!
dusk_2018_12_08_08_11alfyj.png
dusk_2018_12_08_08_10z9e8m.png
dusk_2018_12_08_08_04tfeok.png
ss_b3a1c28c292984fa901a1436896f46b4c4384be6.jpg

The boring screenshots are my own, one from the start of each of the episodes/campaigns, the last one is an older official screenshot from the store page. It's hard for me to take action screenshots, haha.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Seems very Quake-like. I enjoyed Strife for what it was but it certainly wasn't the high-octane 90s FPS that I wanted. More like... a simplified roguelike System Shock 1.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Joke's on you, plays better than Doom 2016 despite launching for a fraction of the price and being made by one guy :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I couldn't recommend this enough. Awesome throwback FPS! The amount of nostalgia you're hit while playing this is pretty surreal, haha.

Alexios

I couldn't recommend this enough. Awesome throwback FPS! The amount of nostalgia you're hit while playing this is pretty surreal, haha.
While at the same time being completely new rather than a retread/remake. Really spot-on stuff, it looks/plays like it could have been made by id back in the 90s and this is the modern enhanced sourceport. So, it doesn't just show a love for this kind of game which many others may have, but also a deep understanding of how it was all made to work out in order to make something that is new yet feels so close.

Also, it's not very visible in the vids but I love how you can (optionally) unlock your axis movement when in the air (or underwater), they've cleverly and simply tweaked mid-air combat.

Plus, you can even end each jump/fall/platform bounce/whatever with a nifty roll depending on how you land it. It's perhaps useless but it's really cool stuff and works so fluidly, haha.

Last edited:

Alexios

One problem with the game: there's not more of it :p

I just read they're coming up with a level editor called DAWN, that should take care of it to a degree :p

dirthead

Banned
Gamers just need to stop buying FPS games that don't ship with coop or they're not going to get the message.

I really have no desire to ever play a single player only FPS again.

Alexios

https://www.destructoid.com/review-dusk-534554.phtml
Destructoid loved it too. Like pretty much everyone - 9.5 SUPERB :)
This is shooter perfection and something fans of the classics need to experience. Maybe it doesn't redefine what is possible with video games, but it beats out basically every other shooter I've ever played. I know I'll be replaying this for years to come and I look forward to seeing what fans are capable of with mod tools.
Nice to see the Steam user reviews increase in numbers too, currently sitting at an Overwhelmingly Positive rating of 97% out of the 1,645.

Last edited:

Alexios

He meant Strafe :p the new-ish old-school FPS wannabe (didn't wanna name it in the OP but was so disappointed myself, DUSK is on a whole different league).

Strife was cool, RPG-lite and everything.

Last edited:

Shifty

Lol I meant Strafe, but nice callout. I loved Strife. It was the game that led me to Deus Ex and System Shock and the other Looking Glass titles back in the 90s.
Strife was rad, I got into it during a lengthy doom modding kick some years ago. Seeing the doom engine pull off all that RPG stuff was a sight to behold.

Gradually building the sigil weapon was a novel idea at the time too, with its various different attacks.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

This is what I mean about indie games. They always seem to be a recreation of something popular of the past. Rogue-likes, 2D platformers, metroidvanias, and this one, old school FPS. And that's why I have no interest in playing them. If I wanted to play Quake, I'd play the original.

Indies are either that or some pretentious walking simulator trying to be art.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is what I mean about indie games. They always seem to be a recreation of something popular of the past. Rogue-likes, 2D platformers, metroidvanias, and this one, old school FPS. And that's why I have no interest in playing them. If I wanted to play Quake, I'd play the original.

Indies are either that or some pretentions walking simulator trying to be art.
I agree that indies do often ape genres from the past, but how is that a reflection on their quality? Should you ignore modern FPSs because Quake exists, too?

Iteration and innovation are both necessary parts of a healthy game industry.

Alexios

I mean, it has its own mechanics, weapons, enemies, levels and everything so yeah it's quite different to replaying a game you've already played to death because it's brand new even if it looks like it's from the 90s. Just like playing Doom 2016 was different to playing Doom in more ways than its graphics. And playing Doom Eternal will also be different to replaying Doom 2016. Also, this was a near one-man project so he went with a style he could pull off in a manner that would allow him to complete a full game in the same standard of quality and polish it in all the right ways. It also doesn't cost $60.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I agree that indies do often ape genres from the past, but how is that a reflection on their quality? Should you ignore modern FPSs because Quake exists, too?

Iteration and innovation are both necessary parts of a healthy game industry.

I wish these games had an identity for themselves. Being "like" something else, doesn't really inspire me to even try it. They should stand on their own feet.

Last edited:

Alexios

It's very reductive to look at what inspired folks and call their games recreations. Cave Story was definitely inspired by Metroid, but plays anything but like replaying Metroid. Momodora 3 was definitely inspired by Castlevania, but plays anything but replaying Castlevania. Journey may have been inspired by whatever game I can't think of, it was a brand new experience. Into the Breach clearly must have looked at other turn based strategy games, but it is its own thing and doesn't feel like replaying anything else. CrossCode may have been inspired by Mana games, it still has its own story to tell and battle systems to challenge you with. And so on, and so forth. Might as well call all games tired retreads if all these and a ton more examples are deemed to be mere recreations of past games.

You don't have to like this in order to understand where it's coming from without bashing it as objectively wrong or somehow of inferior goals and design. I mean, others have tried to do this and failed so clearly it takes skill in various fields to achieve this result. Sure, subjectively it's not what you're looking and the thread title was there to warn you. Maybe we still get FPS games these days, but this kind of FPS, Doom 2016 aside, is completely lost to us. Not because big budget games no longer copy games and instead are so creative, but because they copy other games instead. So what is one who does enjoy this lost style to play? Replay the same official and unofficial Quake levels forever? How's that not a ridiculous proposition?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I wish these games had an identity for themselves. Being "like" something else, doesn't really inspire me to even try it. They should stand on their own feet.
Okay, but what in particular makes modern FPSs "stand on their own feet" compared to some of these retro-inspired FPSs? They're certainly not standing apart from one another let alone the FPS influences from the past. And for your troubles you get to tolerate paid DLC and microtransactions heaped upon yet another iteration of CoD4: Modern Warfare or another wannabe Battle Royale mode sold as a full game or another Team Fortress clone.

I'm not fond of the open-armed appeal to "retro grafix lololol" either, but it's not as though all indies rest solely on the nostalgia factor.

What would constitute an "identity" that is unique enough to inspire you to try it? I would assume you apply this same standard to AAA releases as you would with indie releases.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Gamers just need to stop buying FPS games that don't ship with coop or they're not going to get the message.
Co-Op, please. If a game needs to rely on a second human to be good in your book then it means the game itself is not immersive enough.

Co-Op adds to an experience but it never should be a singular reason to lose focus on solo play.

For someone who thinks this entire generation can be summed up by just one title, namely Bloodborne and calling BOTW a boring title, i am not sure if you are a good judge to good games. Seems to me you have a very onedimensional way of reasoning when it comes to titles: It has to support X, or the game is boring and developers don't get it.

Gaming is about more than just one specific experience. As you claimed to be a developer yourself, you out of all people should know that.

Alexios

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/18/dusk-review/

DUSK rather undersells itself when it declares it’s “straight outta the ’90s”. While absolutely going for that Doom/Hexen vibe, with outstandingly fast movement, gorgeous chunky pixel enemies, and big meaty guns that pack a punch, it also has a really quite fantastic amount of good sense where not to be faithful to those mid-90s gibby times. If anything, DUSK feels like the FPS that id, 3D Realms and Raven would have made if they’d only had the tech.
Set in the often dream-like world of Dusk, the three campaigns offer a total of 32 levels, each distinct, often disturbing, sometimes disgusting. But most importantly of all, increasingly imaginative, from the quite straightforward opening campaign of The Foothills, to the much more complicated, multi-routed, and elaborate maps that make up The Facilities, to the completely batshit bizarro unwordliness of The Nameless City. It’s a game that starts off great, and then gets better with every level, until its massive climactic apogee. You don’t often get to say that.
I’ve adored this. It’s so damned smart, the level layouts as good as anything from the ’90s heyday of the genre (perhaps with the exception of Dark Forces? I’m not sure if I’m willing to let that game’s meticulous architecture slip from the top spot), the secrets rewarding to hunt down. The more you progress, the more elaborate its ambitions, and the more it starts to play with the nature of the limitations of the early version of the genre. Oh, and there are some lovely nods to other games.
All this for £13! Honestly, this is purist FPS as good as it gets, just a constantly stunning game. Don’t miss this.
There's tons more praise to read but in the end I was going to quote the whole thing so yeah just click the link :p

Last edited:

120v

about to wrap up episode 3... great game. level design got kind of bullshitty in ep 2 and onward but this and Amid Evil have been great, gimme more

Alexios

More people need to jump on this. Maybe they're happy with the 69k but it deserves sooooo much more!

Guys this is an awesome game, it feels like the homage it is more than any other retro wannabe FPS yet at the same time is a brand new experience with all new challenges and cool stuff to see and do (kill).
about to wrap up episode 3... great game. level design got kind of bullshitty in ep 2 and onward but this and Amid Evil have been great, gimme more
I though the level design only got better as you went on, it really kept you on your toes and challenged you. I didn't liked the closed spaces after the open first chapter areas at first but it all works out!

Can't wait for the DAWN editor to see what the community comes up with for the game and its future :)

Last edited:

GK_Gats

Well like buttholes, every one has an opinion.
I love single player FPS campaigns and i hope we'll have more games like this.
Yours truly, a "gamer".

Never heard of this game but the reviews sound promising. I'll pick it up if they put out a physical release when they release on consoles, looks like they already did one on PC.

Alexios

Nice stuff for DUSK. GOG connect to not have to buy it again, lan play, cross platform online play, mod sdk/workshop stuff...
3bc41e36f6720373e7e7a0dca8fb4d7eb5b75a3d.png

Last edited:
Posted for Alexios Alexios

I've been playing this game for many months now and, to me, it's the most successful retro-style FPS I've yet to encounter. I won't name the wannabes, some had their own merits for sure, but none were as successful in capturing this kind of gameplay. In DUSK, everything is spot on. The visuals, the feel of the weapons, the level design. It's like a long lost Quake cousin you somehow didn't get to play when it originally released in 1997 or whenever and it's resurfaced now with a source port making it as good as ever by providing all the features you could wish for! The game comes with three campaigns/episodes and a Duskworld multiplayer component on top (I tend to suck hard at these games, I've not even tried it, ha!).

The last campaign was finally released a couple days ago and the game today launches officially and out of early access!

Store page (oh yeah, it's on a -16% sale currently):
Launch trailer:

This reveal trailer was what got me hyped the most back then:

Funnily enough it also includes retro-graphics options so you can run it high resolution but make it look like it's going at a super low one, or with a lower color palette, draw distance and so on. I prefer playing it with the best options looking sharp and having bloom and whatever else, similarly to how I'd play Quake these days, but they're neat to have (and to know of in case you see worse media).

The game is published by New Blood Interactive alongside other cool games but it's mostly the work of one man. Not that the composer and others don't deserve a shout out, but that's impressive!
dusk_2018_12_08_08_11alfyj.png
dusk_2018_12_08_08_10z9e8m.png
dusk_2018_12_08_08_04tfeok.png
ss_b3a1c28c292984fa901a1436896f46b4c4384be6.jpg

The boring screenshots are my own, one from the start of each of the episodes/campaigns, the last one is an older official screenshot from the store page. It's hard for me to take action screenshots, haha.

Is that the Gavin Stevens aka. Team Blur - Quake II remake aka Quake 2 Evolved aka OverDose he was working on?

Last edited:

Alexios

Relatively big new update coming and some nice pimping of more indies in this report, click! Also the Switch version.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Dusk and Cultic are two games I've been putting off for a while even though I absolutely love the genre and games they are inspired from.
You need to change that as soon as possible, you're missing out on some excellent games!

I just wish they'd stick these out on consoles too. More folks need to have access to these.

Top Bottom