• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Spider-Man Game Informer details

I wish they'd just show some uninterrupted gameplay already. It seems like the game looks very cutscene-y (or cinematic, perhaps) as a stylistic choice, but when the trailers show such short cuts it's hard to know how it's going to play. It seems like the camera is really close in on Spidey at all times, which could be uncomfortable for swinging around the city, but I have no idea if that's true because I can't tell from any of the trailers they've put out.

Jb

I don't see any qte. just a bunch of point that you can select as your next destination.

That's still terrible. Did they really removed the ONE redeeming gameplay mechanic in the previous games, the web sling? Was the budget that small?

That's still terrible. Did they really removed the ONE redeeming gameplay mechanic in the previous games, the web sling? Was the budget that small?

pretty sure the web swing is still there. the old spiderman games also have that web zip moves that let you zip across far distance in an instant, looks the same to me, but this time, you have a lot more direction you can pick and at anytime, can enter slow mo to change your direction mid swing, I think it will give you more air mobility in the end.

Skidd

From what I can tell, web slinging is still in the game. Web rush is just a way to get from vantage point to another, which will be very helpful in the stealth sections. IIRC, you can also use it to make precise landings when swinging around.

If anyone did a modicum of research into this game, you'd know you always have the options for either traditional web-slinging or using the web rush.

Calm down.

I've worked on the game, they haven't removed anything.
Web rush is a complement to web swing.

Looking at it from a batman game point of view: See it as unlimited gargoyles around the enviroment.

You can web swing, and trust me, it's better than Spidey 2's web swing.

Hope you can all enjoy the game.

Looking at it from a batman game point of view: See it as unlimited gargoyles around the enviroment.

Looks like a cool complement to environmental navigation, if maybe a bit autopilot-ey. Don't worry about the gut backlash - honestly, you guys just need to release like a two minute video of some straight direct feed web swing, give the people what they want ;)

you guys should show a video of someone who's really good at it play and make it cool. like I'm sure this game have some kind of challenge mission like race, or time trial mission, have a video of someone go through that mission in a quick and efficient way possible.

clockpunk

Hmmm.. after seeing Marvel Avengers, I'm in the mood for some good superhero games. Captain America was surprisingly 'ok', Thor is next on the list, and this looks like it could be the first spiderman game I may get, since the days of the Mega Drive!

Moaradin

I wish we could actually see this in action =(

you guys should show a video of someone who's really good at it play and make it cool. like I'm sure this game have some kind of challenge mission like race, or time trial mission, have a video of someone go through that mission in a quick and efficient way possible.

Unfortunately, that's totally up to Activision and Activision only.

witness

Yeah after the Avengers I really want a good new marvel game, and I really hope this is it. Looks good so far, if this can be the true successor to the Spiderman 2 game, then day 1. I really hope it is.

SykoTech

I wish they'd just show some uninterrupted gameplay already.

Agreed. These spliced up trailers make it too difficult to tell exactly how the gameplay how the gameplay works. Look at everyone freaking out over the web swinging, when there's nothing really to worry about because it's just Web Rush mode.

Hopefully we get lots of solid gameplay at E3.

Orca

The trailer kind of bothered me, with the 'center of the screen' screen tearing. Hopefully that'll be dealt with.

SmithnCo

The stealth stuff kinda reminds me of the Arkham games/noir Spider-Man. If they can do it well and have a nice open world then that would be pretty cool.

Oni Jazar

Ooh strong words! :) What I really liked about Spidey 2's web slinging is that i was almost a sling simulator. It actually demanded some skill on the player in order to swing across effectively. If you didn't have the knowledge of when to release your web you'd be running long the street with your arms up like Freakazoid.

SM2 wasn't just about plain old swinging, either. You were playing around with the boost, letting the web go at just the right moment, and you could do sweet stuff with all that. You could climb buildings just by swinging around the perimeter and boosting on the upswing, and every now and then you'd catch the corner of a building to shorten your web and to rocket you up a bit faster. You ended up swinging into buildings to wallrun, webzipping to cover more distance, flipping like a maniac to recover Spideyjuice and then you'd always land exactly wher you wanted to because you had insane air control.

If this new game can replicate that with some HD graphics and a fun combat system I'll never need any more games. And if it can be better? Well, we'll see.

Ooh strong words! :) What I really liked about Spidey 2's web slinging is that i was almost a sling simulator. It actually demanded some skill on the player in order to swing across effectively. If you didn't have the knowledge of when to release your web you'd be running long the street with your arms up like Freakazoid.

Simulator is the world I'd use too. That's what later games failed to capture. Adding in double jump and other assists made swinging less thrilling.

Trigger

SM2 wasn't just about plain old swinging, either. You were playing around with the boost, letting the web go at just the right moment, and you could do sweet stuff with all that. You could climb buildings just by swinging around the perimeter and boosting on the upswing, and every now and then you'd catch the corner of a building to shorten your web and to rocket you up a bit faster. You ended up swinging into buildings to wallrun, webzipping to cover more distance, flipping like a maniac to recover Spideyjuice and then you'd always land exactly wher you wanted to because you had insane air control.

If this new game can replicate that with some HD graphics and a fun combat system I'll never need any more games. And if it can be better? Well, we'll see.

You're slowly pushing me towards re-purchasing a copy of Spider-Man 2.

You're slowly pushing me towards re-purchasing a copy of Spider-Man 2.

Bro, I bought a secondhand slim PS2 a few weeks ago just to play it some more because my old fattie whirrs like a jet engine. TOTALLY worth it. Still one of my favourite games ever. The combat really doesn't hold up so well, though I do still remember how to do the infinite height gaining thing with the air combo and the web yank.

I really wish people would stop putting SM2 on a pedastal. It's a terrible game that has one great mechanic. Ultimate Spider-Man is far superior as an entire package.

I would say the good mostly outweighs the bad. There are a lot of points in the game that are relentlessly terrible; they were terrible in 2004, too. Those Doc Ock parts where you had to crawl around hitting switches while a reactor bubble thing constantly knocked you around were maddening. But every now and then you'd get an amazing mission where you could actually take advantage of the swinging, and they were amazing. There's a bossfight with Electro that I really liked, and the whole Mysterio arc is pretty great. The Black Cat chases were really neat, although they usually lead to frustrating fights. Swinging is obviously the best part of the game, but the rest of it is still OK. It gives you something interesting to do in between bouts of extended swinging.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really wish people would stop putting SM2 on a pedastal. It's a terrible game that has one great mechanic. Ultimate Spider-Man is far superior as an entire package.

I wouldn't say it's terrible. Not great, no, but an OK game with one of the best open-world traversal mechanics ever implemented. It just feels so good when you get in the flow with the swinging, and that's what we hope this new game can replicate.

Top Bottom