• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Spider-Man Game Informer details

UrbanRats

I really wish people would stop putting SM2 on a pedastal. It's a terrible game that has one great mechanic. Ultimate Spider-Man is far superior as an entire package.

Yeah, but the swinging in US is still inferior.
And it's not like Ultimate was crazy fun.

Anyhow i agree with you.

graphics look really nice, I also heard that you can control web rush.

that would be sick if you could perform all those movements on your own but you can use web rush if you just feel like getting from point a to b.

Looks okay I guess, kinda seems like he swings from thin air which I ate though.

Yeah, I was trying to work that out. A couple of those swings look like the webs are anchored to nothing.

Well, it's definitely not SM2-style swinging, but it looks pretty cool. I wonder if that camera angle is going to get irritating, though. It sure looks cinematic, but it doesn't really let you see anything below you which isn't exactly ideal for a system where you're constantly rising and falling. Maybe the player was moving the camera around, though. I like the way it closed in on Spidey when he stopped at the end; the camera in SM2 couldn't deal with tight spaces and it'd freak out all the time when you were wall-crawling.

Skidd

So, first 20 seconds of unedited swinging/web-rushing got released. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZVOp57YIqw Looks okay I guess, kinda seems like he swings from thin air which I ate though.

But I really liked both Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time (yup, I think its a fun game) so I'm optimistic about this one.
That looks better than I had imagined. Kudos to animation team for giving Spidey some real sense of weight.

*Watches again*

Yup, this is looking amazing. I'm not sure if I'm gonna like the camera sticking so close to Spidey all the time, but so far this looks exactly the kind of Spidey game I've been waiting for all these years.

So, first 20 seconds of unedited swinging/web-rushing got released. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZVOp57YIqw Looks okay I guess, kinda seems like he swings from thin air which I ate though.

But I really liked both Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time (yup, I think its a fun game) so I'm optimistic about this one.

That looks surprisingly good. Not sure I agree that he's swinging from thin air, but I'd have to see more footage to say with any certainty.

Grayman

The footage seems inconclusive if he is from thin air or not, there was a radio tower up there on the worst looking one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Achievements leaked
Gladiator 15
Completed all Oscorp Secret Research Labs
A Dash of Spider 15
Completed all XTreme Race challenges
The Camera Loves You 15
Completed all XTreme Video challenges
Friendly Neighbor 15
Saved a hostage caught in a petty crime
Call Interrupted 15
Destroyed a Seeker before it could call a Hunter
Negotiator 15
Resolved all police deadlocks
Car Hopper 15
Cleared all car chases
Peace of Mind 15
Returned all escapees to the police
Sanitized 15
Rescued all infected civilians
Sky Captain 15
Chained 10 Web-Rushes in the city
Amazing Spider-Man 20
Unlocked all concept art
Ultimate Spider-Man 20
Acquired all upgrades
Heavyweight Champion 30
Defeated 1000 enemies
Middleweight Champion 20
Defeated 500 enemies
Lightweight Champion 15
Defeated 100 enemies
The Sky Is the Limit 20
Defeated the S-01 without touching the ground
Clean Victory 20
Defeated a Hunter without using your Web-Shooters
All Tied Up 15
Defeated 100 enemies by performing Stealth Takedowns
Stick to the Plan 15
Defeated 50 enemies by performing Stealth Takedowns
Keep It Together 15
Immobilized 6 enemies simultaneously with web
Haymaker 10
Performed a Web-Rush punch
FYI I'm Spider-Man 10
Performed 25 Signature Moves
I'm on a Roll! 15
Achieved a combo streak of 42
Journalist 15
Collected all audio evidence
Corporate 15
Collected all Oscorp Manuals
Tech Savvy 15
Collected all hidden Tech Pieces
Librarian 15
Collected all magazines
On the Fly 25
Collected all 700 Spider-Man Comic Pages (10)
Spider-Man 100
Completed the game on super hero difficulty
Vigilante 50
Completed the game on hero difficulty
Peter Parker 25
Completed the game on human difficulty

Secret Achievements

Secret Achievement 20
Continue playing to unlock this secret achievement.
Secret Achievement 20
Secret Achievement 30
Secret Achievement 20
Secret Achievement 20
Secret Achievement 20
Secret Achievement 20
Secret Achievement 20
Secret Achievement 25
Secret Achievement 20
Secret Achievement 30
Secret Achievement 30
Secret Achievement 30
Secret Achievement 30
Secret Achievement 30

Surprised at the lack of in game type gameplay for this. By this point, I'm pretty sure we saw Shattered Dimensions being played, but they've still got at least a month. They might be waiting for all the big releases to simmer down.

SykoTech

I wonder if that camera angle is going to get irritating, though.

I felt that way about Arkham Asylum at first, but it ended up feeling great. This game seems to be taking a lot of hints from Rocksteady's Batman games, so hopefully it turns out good as well.

They really seem to have his movements down though.

Looking at the achievement list, the number of collectibles seem a bit excessive to me. Hopefully they'll be a lot more fun to collect then the fucking tokens that were scattered everywhere in S-M2.

Kinyou

Really hard to tell, but if he should swing in thin air then I'd write the game instantly off. Would make the whole swinging mechanic completely pointless for me.

I think the swings look anchored there, the flare of the sun blocks some of it, but his web-zips are attached to radio towers.

Looks awesome to me!

firen

SM2 wasn't just about plain old swinging, either. You were playing around with the boost, letting the web go at just the right moment, and you could do sweet stuff with all that. You could climb buildings just by swinging around the perimeter and boosting on the upswing, and every now and then you'd catch the corner of a building to shorten your web and to rocket you up a bit faster. You ended up swinging into buildings to wallrun, webzipping to cover more distance, flipping like a maniac to recover Spideyjuice and then you'd always land exactly wher you wanted to because you had insane air control.

If this new game can replicate that with some HD graphics and a fun combat system I'll never need any more games. And if it can be better? Well, we'll see.

Wow, you described Spider-Man 2 perfectly! The closest thing to SM2 was Web Of Shadows I believe. Both had pretty laughable storylines, characters, voice acting, mission design...everything but the swinging.

Also, as far as I remember, didn't SM2 have two button swinging? Then I think Ultimate Spider-Man or something made it a simple one button swinging which totally ruined it for me. I really hope Amazing Spider-Man brings back the more complicated swing mechanic.

Really hard to tell, but if he should swing in thin air then I'd write the game instantly off. Would make the whole swinging mechanic completely pointless for me.
Sure looks like he's swinging from the clouds to me, and yup, that would be an instant deal breaker.

SykoTech

Haven't played Edge of Time, but Beenox was really good about making sure Spider-Man's webs attached to things in Shattered Dimensions. Especially in the Sandman level. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Haven't played Edge of Time, but Beenox was really good about making sure Spider-Man's webs attached to things in Shattered Dimensions. Especially in the Sandman level. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Nah they never attached to anything in the Beenox games. The webline just shoot right up, which if you are indoors makes it look like it sticks to the ceiling. In Shattered Dimensions it was kinda weird though, because you couldn't swing all the time anyway. If I remember correctly the way it went was that if there were tall structures around you could webswing, because in theory Spidey would be able to do it. But if it was just flat ground you couldn't, because Spidey wouldn't be able to.

EDIT: Maybe you were talking about the webzip though, which always attach. And was awesome. Web rush just seems to be an evolution of that.

And I kinda remember seeing/reading an interview with the head of Beenox saying they'd had lots of debates whether the webs would stick to buildings or not, and that they had decided to go with a hybrid of sorts. Not totally sure though.

Nesotenso

I hope Beenox have their best effort reflected in this, but why we haven't seen more media released for it ? Also, I hope the game can overcome the stigma of being a movie tie in. I would have preferred if Activision used their Spider-man licence to give us just non-movie games.

Come on, that's just hopeful thinking.

tumblr_m49z5wLBQc1qm81z8o1_400.jpg

If this is remotely decent, I'm in there. Been far too long since I got a Spidey game, didn't get Shattered Dimensions T_T

Don't really care if they bite a lot of stuff from AA or AC, I just want a good game with Mr. Parker.

Gameplay looks okay. Spiderman's movements seems a bit on the spastic side. I figured it would look more fluid than that. The battle versus Rhino was the typical three-hit boss battle. That being said, I'm excited.

Maybe it's just me but the animation while Spidey is swinging looks...off. It seems to be very floaty and just doesn't look fluid to me, more spastic to be honest. Might just need to get my hands on it to see for myself.

Maybe it's just me but the animation while Spidey is swinging looks...off. It seems to be very floaty and just doesn't look fluid to me, more spastic to be honest. Might just need to get my hands on it to see for myself.

Really? I thought it looked a lot more weighted and less floaty than Spiderman 2's was. I just hope they have a similar web swinging mechanic that actually required some skill to use.

edit: I did just see the section though where he's web grabbing to buildings and it does look more floaty.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

JDSN

Banned
This been like 8 years since Spiderman 2, most me-too devs like Gameloft and Ubisoft can copy to perfection a gaming mechanic in like 3 years, why cant this guys ever make it right?

SmithnCo

I think a swinging mechanic in a Spider-Man game that is like a refined version of the Bionic Commando remake swinging would be cool. This could be fun but the auto swinging doesn't have the same satisfaction or subtlety.

DrBo42

Starting to look like another Spider-Man 3 QTE mess. Ugh. Swinging looks okay except for the no anchor thing. I don't know, no longer stoked.

vg260

If this is remotely decent, I'm in there. Been far too long since I got a Spidey game, didn't get Shattered Dimensions T_T

Don't really care if they bite a lot of stuff from AA or AC, I just want a good game with Mr. Parker.

Shattered Dimensions is well worth a play through. It's wonky in some ways and not without its issues, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it overall. With a little more dev time for polish, it could have been really great. If you are in any way a fan I'd say you should give it a shot. I wasn't remotely interested in it at first, but Beenox did some good things with it that fans should appreciate.

The combat seems alright, but the camera's in so close you can't see the enemies so I imagine it'd be hard to keep up a long combo. In the Batman games the camera zooms out whenever you're in combat so you can see what's going on.

Web Rush seems like the 'make the game play itself' button. It seems like the kind of game where you could play it for ten hours and be exactly as good as you were when you first picked up the controller; it's all automated and you obviously just steer Spidey around with magical inertia-defying powers. Naw, son.

Shattered Dimensions is well worth a play through. It's wonky in some ways and not without its issues, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it overall. With a little more dev time for polish, it could have been really great. If you are in any way a fan I'd say you should give it a shot. I wasn't remotely interested in it at first, but Beenox did some good things with it that fans should appreciate.

Yup. It's no Web of Shadows, but it's decent enough. 2099 Spidey was great, very enjoyable.

kunonabi

how do they do this? When making a spider-man game there should be a white board with big block letters WEBS STICK TO BUILDINGS. The key trait of spider-man is that he uses his web lines to swing from objects, how can this be gotten wrong?

More often than no it looked he was webbing into thin air in the comics and older animation when I was reading/watching them. I remember it being a running joke for awhile. Never really seemed that big a deal to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
More often than no it looked he was webbing into thin air in the comics and older animation when I was reading/watching them. I remember it being a running joke for awhile. Never really seemed that big a deal to me.

I'm the same way. I'm kind of surrpised at what a big deal it seems to be to so many people. I'm not saying it's not worth getting upset about, I just didn't know it was such a big deal to some people.

I'm the same way. I'm kind of surrpised at what a big deal it seems to be to so many people. I'm not saying it's not worth getting upset about, I just didn't know it was such a big deal to some people.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I never played Spiderman 2, but that video seemed pretty decent to me. Nothing's astounding, but it looks like it has the potential to be pretty solid.

Top Bottom