• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.co.jp is now offering international shipping for games and consoles

i don't think hardware works.
If sold by Amazon JP, it tends to work. However, what they sell is very limited. Cannot find a Pokemon 2DS for example. Got DQ Builders and Project Diva X to test the waters and expected 4 days after Diva launched (27th-28th).

tiijj

If sold by Amazon JP, it tends to work. However, what they sell is very limited. Cannot find a Pokemon 2DS for example. Got DQ Builders and Project Diva X to test the waters and expected 4 days after Diva launched (27th-28th).

For some reason most nintendo hardware and peripherals work but most (if not all) ps4 doesn't.

If i ordered direct from Amazon Japan and shipped direct to the uk then yeah i'd get charged import tax by DHL when it gets here.anything over £14 value would get hit with import tax here in the UK. But Amazon don't charge me any import duty up front it's all paid to the courier.

So instead i use tenso & I just change the customs value of my items to keep it below that threshold so they don't get taxed. Never been stopped at customs when i do it via tenso.

Oh ok coz On mine, I get charged import fees on amazon jp's invoice and I don't get any additional charges when it arrives.

So as someone who doesn't speak Japanese and only has a ps4, is there anything I'm missing out on that I could pick up from Amazon Japan?

Also, isn't Nintendo hardware region locked?

I can't even... what?

ajDqCNH.png

AsterSelene

Neo Member
I just filed a preorder for three Vita games for this month (to be delivered when the last one ships) and the combined total for shipping was $7.72.
I could not have dreamed of a shipping cost that low for any other site, particularly because pulling the same feat with proxy shippers would force me to pay combining fees as well. I'm also not sure why it's just these games when other people are saying it's costing them the usual $20 (maybe the Vita is just magical, idk).

I don't know what magic is being used here, but I'm sure as hell going to enjoy it while I can.

Danchi

If i ordered direct from Amazon Japan and shipped direct to the uk then yeah i'd get charged import tax by DHL when it gets here.anything over £14 value would get hit with import tax here in the UK. But Amazon don't charge me any import duty up front it's all paid to the courier.

So instead i use tenso & I just change the customs value of my items to keep it below that threshold so they don't get taxed. Never been stopped at customs when i do it via tenso.

When was the last time you tried to buy from them? On orders over the customs limit, you definitely pay the VAT up front now (which, unless I'm mistaken, means you shouldn't have to deal with the dreaded "handling fee" from the courier when it arrives).

Quonny

A note, from someone who has been importing from Amazon for quite a while:

DHL sucks. Well, they're awesome, but they suck. They're super fast, but they treat your boxes like garbage and will show up at all hours of the day/night. They require a signature, and unlike the post office, you're unlikely to have an office nearby you can pick the package up at. You CAN leave a note, so make sure you do that. It needs to have your name, your tracking number, and a statement saying it's okay if they leave it.

Don't be upset if your box is destroyed and your goods slightly dinged up, they give zero fucks. Pray if you're ordering a collector's edition anything. And since it's international, they don't hold themselves viable.

Just be warned.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, you're right. What a time to be alive!

Shipping is very reasonable, too.

Sorry, tenso.com

longdi

Banned
Does it international ship anything else besides games?

I like that Amazon group is opening up more of their wares to world orders.

wiibomb

It seems it can only apply to order sold and shipped by amazon.co.jp.

it doesn't apply to preorders or orders only fulfilled by amazon

tiijj

DHL sucks. Well, they're awesome, but they suck. They're super fast, but they treat your boxes like garbage and will show up at all hours of the day/night. They require a signature, and unlike the post office, you're unlikely to have an office nearby you can pick the package up at. You CAN leave a note, so make sure you do that. It needs to have your name, your tracking number, and a statement saying it's okay if they leave it.

Don't be upset if your box is destroyed and your goods slightly dinged up, they give zero fucks. Pray if you're ordering a collector's edition anything. And since it's international, they don't hold themselves viable.

Just be warned.

All the major ones sucks (ups, fedex, dhl), for me UPS is the worst. You get charged duties, sales tax, and custom clearance rate (handling and stuff).

Impotaku

When was the last time you tried to buy from them? On orders over the customs limit, you definitely pay the VAT up front now (which, unless I'm mistaken, means you shouldn't have to deal with the dreaded "handling fee" from the courier when it arrives).

Probably a few years ago now when i ordered a massive stack of books long before i started using tenso. They shipped my order out fine but they didn't charge me duty up front, i got a letter from DHL about a week later after my parcel had been delivered regarding the customs charges i had to pay.

The only branch of Amazon so far that's charged me duty up front was Amazon USA when i ordered a PS3 copy of south park.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Hot damn, this is huge. Here's hoping it's opened up to third party sellers as well some time in the future. =)

tiijj

Probably a few years ago now when i ordered a massive stack of books long before i started using tenso. They shipped my order out fine but they didn't charge me duty up front, i got a letter from DHL about a week later after my parcel had been delivered regarding the customs charges i had to pay.

The only branch of Amazon so far that's charged me duty up front was Amazon USA when i ordered a PS3 copy of south park.

For books and magazines amazon jp is waaay better than tenso. Tenso charge by weight while amazon jp charges by the number of items.

I assume .co.jp doesn't carry the Asian versions of games like Play-Asia, right? I guess I'm safe on that front... however Kamen Rider for PS4 is tempting.

jonjonaug

Just be warned.

My local DHL guys are always great with my packages, so I'm usually satisfied with them.

Also wow. RIP import sites.

Impotaku

For books and magazines amazon jp is waaay better than tenso. Tenso charge by weight while amazon jp charges by the number of items.

Don't buy many books nowdays but will bear that in mind if theres a huge chunky super heavy one. hehe

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
My local DHL guys are always great with my packages, so I'm usually satisfied with them.
Dude, DHL fucking kicks ass here in Germany. They're faster than greased lightning, have never messed up a package from me and Amazon.de and them are as tight as arsecheeks so they can guarantee next day delivery and shit.

Really struggling to find bargains with games I want, Taiko Drum Master V, god eater ect are all about the same as other stores

Danchi

Books are exempt from import duty in the UK which is why you didn't have to pay VAT up front. The fee you paid must've been the handling fee from the courier.

Again, I might be mistaken here, but I don't think you should've had to pay that fee. I was charged a similar fee a few years ago, too, but I think if you would've contested it they would've removed it. Since then, I bought other books overseas (which were over the £15 limit) and I've never had to pay so I haven't been able to put this into practice.

Also, isn't Nintendo hardware region locked?

It's easily defeatable on the 3DS provided you don't mind buying a copy of Cubic Ninja, and less-easily defeatable via other methods that don't require an additional game.

You can get past it on the Wii U too, provided you're on an older firmware, but it's not easy.

Just be warned.

The note thing is accurate and I've had to do it before but the most recent time they dropped by I actually received a text the night before (NO clue how they got my cell #) and I was able confirm a signature-less delivery via text.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, guys...

Holy shit.

They sell download codes for digital games to foreign addresses/credit cards now, too.

This changes everything.

Just bought physical Dark Souls III for PS4 and a download code for the most recent Nobunaga no Yabou + Power Up Kit on Steam.

This is nuts.

Koppai

HELL YES, finally! Bye Play-Asia <_<

However, this only works for games?

I was trying to buy the Red & Green Nendoroid but says cant be shipped to my address.

Top Bottom