• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut (Wii U/$50) - May 7

"One-year-old ports don't sell on the WiiU. What should we do, put new games on it?"

"Are you joking? New games? No, if one-year-old ports don't sell, let's try two-year-old ones!"

I hope this mega bombs in Square's face, it's pretty insulting to WiiU owners to try to sell them their old leftovers for the price of a new meal when you can find said leftovers for next to nothing in thrash bins everywhere.

Keslord

Banned
Actually, even though I'm a big Wii U hopeful, and enjoy the console...

I want this to be announced for other consoles as well just for the shitstorm.

Three years from now when I have a Wii U and am looking for cheap games in its backlog, I will be quite happy that Deus Ex was ported and not Tomb Raider.

MormaPope

Banned
Also, if Straight Right IS handling this, it's bound to be doomed to lots of frame rate issues, lockups, etc.

The 360 version has some performance issues, explosions and such cause a framerate dip, upgrading any weapon to have a faster firing rate would cause framerate dips when the gun is a lot faster, moving around an area could cause slight stuttering.

The actual textures and all that were decent on 360/PS3, but if those versions had some issues with performance I would be worried about the Wii-U version's performance.

Keslord

Banned
"One-year-old ports don't sell on the WiiU. What should we do, put new games on it?"

"Are you joking? New games? No, if one-year-old ports don't sell, let's try two-year-old ones!"

I hope this mega bombs in Square's face, it's pretty insulting to WiiU owners to try to sell them their old leftovers for the price of a new meal when you can find said leftovers for next to nothing in thrash bins everywhere.

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT FOR THE WII U VERSIONS OF ALAN WAKE AND BAD COMPANY 2

Mael

So....If I didn't play Deus Ex right now and am looking at new WiiU games, why should I take this over....MonHun 3 Ultimate or Lego City?

These late ports are amazing because it's a doomed if you do, doomed if you don't situation.

Wii U owners buy it = encourages publishers to release more old ports
Wii U owners don't buy it = encourages third parties to not bother with Wii U
yeah, never understand why they like to do this. Something with vita , who asked for epic Mickey 2?But if sales is bad........

These late ports are amazing because it's a doomed if you do, doomed if you don't situation.

Problem is, they would encourage the purchase if they would have set a lower price, or it would have been a collection. Mass Effect 3 on Wii U is one of the most stupid business decision ever considering the collection releasing just before on PS360.

This game has been available as part of PS+ and in countless Steam sales. Everyone who wanted to play it already has.

Even Square Enix never asked for this.

I look foreward to playing Tomb Raider U in 2015.

Ports are quite ok but I don't get why not port the new releases instead of the old ones?

Keslord

Banned
Problem is, they would encourage the purchase if they would have set a lower price, or it would have been a collection. Mass Effect 3 on Wii U is one of the most stupid business decision ever considering the collection releasing just before on PS360.

A Deus Ex collection would put Invisible War back on physically printed shelves

No one wants that.

watershed

Banned
Its kind of strange to admit, but if I had a Wii U I'd by this game over most others already available on the Wii U and I've already beat this game on the ps3.

MormaPope

Banned
So....If I didn't play Deus Ex right now and am looking at new WiiU games, why should I take this over....MonHun 3 Ultimate or Lego City?

Your best option would be to buy Deus Ex for anything other than Wii-U, but if that's all you got Human Revolution is an incredibly solid game. There's bizarre freedom and ingenuity in the game, you can make yourself stronger so you can move/use dumpsters and fridges as makeshift bulletproof cover.

You can block a turrets line of sight with a vending machine, you can build a tower of barrels to climb a barrier, you can use cardboard boxes as landing devices for big falls.

If none of that gets you excited, Human Revolution is not for you.

Keslord

Banned
Actually, question: What's with the "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB" on the box? Isn't that reserved for games with multiplayer modes?

michael_scott.gif

NotLiquid

Hm. On one hand I already own this game on PS3. I don't see much of a reason to buy it again, this time for full price.

On the other hand I haven't actually played the game more than a couple of hours despite enjoying it. A bunch of things got in the way when I first started it and I never got back to it. If, as they say, the game is drastically upgraded, I might bite, if only to increase my Wii U library. Most Wanted U is looking to be a rather good late port, maybe this can be the same.

They should have changed the color scheme to gloss blue instead of gold to coincide with the Wii U color scheme though, and I dunno, add a switch that lets you go between color modes. That was one thing I hoped they would have done if they ported it.

Isn't the first outcome kind of reading into it too much? A game selling good anywhere means there's money to be made on the console, period.

Not that it's going to sell much, so the second outcome is true.

The price of these ports is the stupidiest thing. They really expect to sell copies of old games at $50?

indeed, this should be at the 30$ pricepoint since its a straight up port. (no, offscreen play and tablet skillmenu does not make it a new version)

If they would add some missions, revamp the bosses, add new skills and weapons etc. they could get more favourable views and people might rebuy it. But still, at a 30$ pricepoint.

Nemesis_

Also, if Straight Right IS handling this, it's bound to be doomed to lots of frame rate issues, lockups, etc.

wasnt their's (me3) the best unreal engine 3 port at launch?

Yup. ME3 was a pretty competent port. Even the multiplayer worked quite well too. I don't know where the idea came from that it was plagued by issue (or if it was, it was plagued by similar issues to the main console versions too)

Actually, question: What's with the "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB" on the box? Isn't that reserved for games with multiplayer modes?

Probably MiiVerse or something?

wsippel

Banned
Launch games were developed on unfinished devkits using incomplete documentation and tools. That's the reason they looked and performed the way they did. This isn't a launch game.

Keslord

Banned
Yup. ME3 was a pretty competent port. Even the multiplayer worked quite well too. I don't know where the idea came from that it was plagued by issue (or if it was, it was plagued by similar issues to the main console versions too)

Probably MiiVerse or something?

MiiVerse doesn't work in a way that would warrant anything from the ESRB. It's all handled system level

You know, I'm fine with some sloppy seconds on the Wii U, but until dev teams wrap their head around the system and start delivering truly definitive versions of these games they really, really need to stop charging a premium. These are relatively old titles that are completely incapable of creating any hype because, oh, I dunno, they're available at bargain bin prices on other (cheaper) hardware. Nothing like setting up a game for failure. Why not at least price it reasonably so everyone isn't holding off for the imminent price crash? You justbknow the price is going to crash, and fast. Publishers should recognize this very obvious fact by now, but here we are.

Nemesis_

MiiVerse doesn't work in a way that would warrant anything from the ESRB. It's all handled system level

Ahh right. Wasn't sure how the ESRB handled it.

The return of Deus Ex Multiplayer!

im2FLJdzDVaRs.gif

MarkusRJR

Didn't Straight Right say that people should be excited about their new project? I'm sorry but why the fuck would I be excited over a 2 year old port that's being sold at $50?

Quelle surprise!

Anyway, for people complaining here is the thought process:

• This shows us how many people own a Wii U who haven't already owned a PS3 or 360 for years.
  • If people buy it, there's a separate and distinct market for Wii U SKUs, even alongside PS3 and 360 versions that already have a proven audience.
  • If people don't buy it - then there's no point in making Wii U SKUs; we can just sell our games on the PS3 and 360.
And they're not really wrong in thinking that way.

Nosgoroth

Who gave this port a go? It's not that I don't appreciate it, but I can't see this making back whatever investment it had. Unless it was really low.

I'll wait to hear about the changes, at least.

Mael

Your best option would be to buy Deus Ex for anything other than Wii-U, but if that's all you got Human Revolution is an incredibly solid game. There's bizarre freedom and ingenuity in the game, you can make yourself stronger so you can move/use dumpsters and fridges as makeshift bulletproof cover.

You can block a turrets line of sight with a vending machine, you can build a tower of barrels to climb a barrier, you can use cardboard boxes as landing devices for big falls.

If none of that gets you excited, Human Revolution is not for you.

At this point I'll be frank I more readily use my WiiU than my ps3.
Outside of the latest Naruto I don't think I'll use it that much so a new WiiU game have good chance of getting finished instead of rotting on my shelf for the coming months (looking at you demon's soul and dragon's dogma).
Now I don't care that much how old a game is (I just started DQIX that stayed on my shelf for a full 2 years after all) as long as it's not your usual hit driven BS (like sorcery or, again, Dragon's dogma) and is a genuinely good game.
I won't take it if it's literally twice the price of other versions I wouldn't play (ps3) anyway though.
I'll see what I choose but I guess it's not a bad game, is it?

You realise this was probably started way before we got any sales results for Wii U ?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Actually, even though I'm a big Wii U hopeful, and enjoy the console...

I want this to be announced for other consoles as well just for the shitstorm.
I would rather they announced this for the other system. Then it would look like the Wii U is getting a current release rather than an old one. Much like how the Wii U should have received the ME trilogy with the other systems rather than just the third one.

SJRB

Gold Member
Surreal. Everyone in the world even remotely interested in this game probably played it already. I mean, the game is on sale all the time, you can get it for pc for little over 7 bucks during sales.

Keslord

Banned
Surreal. Everyone in the world even remotely interested in this game probably played it already. I mean, the game is on sale all the time, you can get it for pc for little over 7 bucks during sales.

Honestly, a PS Vita version or Deus Ex HD remake would have made more sense.

Quelle surprise!

Anyway, for people complaining here is the thought process:

• This shows us how many people own a Wii U who haven't already owned a PS3 or 360 for years.
  • If people buy it, there's a separate and distinct market for Wii U SKUs, even alongside PS3 and 360 versions that already have a proven audience.
  • If people don't buy it - then there's no point in making Wii U SKUs; we can just sell our games on the PS3 and 360.
And they're not really wrong in thinking that way.
No this is really stupid. The 1st and 3rd reasons contradict the shit out of each other. How can a company like square put a game out without forseen stuff like that. Hopefully they are just putting a game out just to put one out and not actually thinking that way because it is wrong.

Mael

Honestly, a PS Vita version or Deus Ex HD remake would have made more sense.

Why? The game is still old as shit and people with a Vita probably own a ps3 too.
Why woudl they take an expensive version of a game they own already?

Top Bottom