• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon FireTV Announced and Released [$99 box, $40 controller, game capable STB]

Raistlin

I never said it created it. I just don't need this device. Like at all. I was doing everything this does with the same freaking apps years ago.

unless I am completely missing your point?
Well when you said chasing it ... I thought you were implying consoles started it or were leading the market (though for some apps, like Netflix, they may be).

I suspect a lot of gamers are in your boat. Assuming their console of choice has the apps they need, there's no real reason to get another box. At least assuming they are okay with the UI and power usage.

Not everyone that uses streaming services has a console, or at least wants to pay for a console on each TV. Apple TV, Roku, etc have an audience. And this appears like it will have one as well.

Krakn3Dfx

Maybe someone asked, any chance a DS3/DS4 controller would work with this thing, isn't Amazon's own controller BT?

I have $86 and some change in credit on Amazon right now, could pick one of these up for less than $15, tempting...

Update: From Engadget article:

For the meantime, you can use a wired Xbox 360 controller (naturally, via USB) as well as Nyko Bluetooth controller and Amazon Games head Mike Frazzini tells us he expects many more will support Fire TV in the coming months.

mrpeabody

Some households only need "good-enough gaming"; something that plays Minecraft and can keep the kids occupied.

The FireTV is clearly a streaming box first and foremost. But once it's in your house, it's that much harder to justify a $250-$500 gaming console if you're not a gamer yourself.

Koppai

I did not think Amazon could pull off something like this, this gives me hopes for the Amazon drone delivery service lol.

I will keep my eye on this (especially if it gets a pricecut) :p

Shin-Ra

Lol, had a similar impression, glad I wasn't the only one.
Quickly followed up by..

ibj4QXOGlIUvWr.gif

..yep that's folded paper.

But they haven't followed all the way through and made the whole world consistent in that style.

Serick

Married Member
Just bought it with overnight shipping. Was waiting to see what Amazon did before I purchased my Roku 3.

Somnid

Maybe someone asked, any chance a DS3/DS4 controller would work with this thing, isn't Amazon's own controller BT?

I have $86 and some change in credit on Amazon right now, could pick one of these up for less than $15, tempting...

Yes, FireTV supports bluetooth HID controller as well as USB ones.

Alpende

Pretty cool from Amazon but now that this is announced I'll just get a Chromecast. I doubt this is even available in other countries than the US.

I'm also not planning on playing mobile games on my TV...

Papacheeks

Banned
Surprised people are not talking about the biggest game changer that I saw:

Leaderboards and achievements — The Amazon GameCircle button instantly lets you track progress and compare scores with friends and millions of other gamers

t_feature_gamecircle_img1_480x476._V340499929_.jpg

The Amazon Fire Game Controller provides a connected gaming experience with a dedicated GameCircle button. With the push of a button, your game is paused and you get instant access to achievements, so you can track your progress in your game. You'll also be able to view leaderboards, allowing you to compare your scores globally or with friends.

An actual Eco-system for android based games. Something that even Apple right now doesn't have, unless their New Apple TV for Q3 has it?

Being able to track gaming stats and friends is huge. And Multiplayer is not limited to controller's. Someone can be playing the same game on their kindle Fire HD in multiplayer against someone on the FireTV.

We won't see a big push beyond achievements, and stat tracking until next year. But with the interface, and actually having a Eco-System that both Android and iOs don't have right now. I see this taking off for kids and families that are unsure about getting a family entertainment system.

Nintendo should be worried.

Make fun of me all you want, next year when Double helix, and among other's start dropping exclusive games for Amazon, you'll see a huge shift from family's.

This to me is the bridge point Mobile games has needed, it needed someone to take the investment and bridge together App and console developed games on a small platform.

It's a good way for someone who doesn't currently have a way to stream media on their tv to finally break into it, and if you're at all invested in Amazon's content ecosystem then it's pretty much a no-brainer.

I think they're being smart by selling the controller separately, because I suspect most people would be hesitant to jump into any Android-based "gaming" platform these days, regardless of whether or not it offers further functionality, until it's been proven with more/better than what's currently available. It's a good idea to sell it as a content streaming device first and a gaming platform second.

That all said, am I totally naive for wondering if Netflix will ever step in and offer their own streaming device?

Epic Drop

Has anyone noticed that the comparison analysis Amazon shows looks to be incorrect? Unless I'm crazy, the Pandora app on my Nexus 4 has had chromecast support for some time now.

NolbertoS

I'm intrigued by it. Like the all in one service on games and movies. Doesn't look like any console ports yet on the Amazon box, but you never know what else is cooking. Xbox One and Amazon rumours should keep heating up from here on out as Amazon has more muscle with ita vast library of movies, books, and soon to be Digital programs like Amazon only TV shows.

If this does well I wonder if Sony will consider Vita TV for the west. Doesn't it do much of the same type of thing, except with Playstation games?

Grisby

Didn't think this was gonna be something to compete with the new generation.

If I had a lot of surplus cash I might check it out, but ehhh.

An actual Eco-system for android based games. Something that even Apple right now doesn't have, unless their New Apple TV for Q3 has it?

Being able to track gaming stats and friends is huge. And Multiplayer is not limited to controller's. Someone can be playing the same game on their kindle Fire HD in multiplayer against someone on the FireTV.

We won't see a big push beyond achievements, and stat tracking until next year. But with the interface, and actually having a Eco-System that both Android and iOs don't have right now. I see this taking off for kids and families that are unsure about getting a family entertainment system.

Make fun of me all you want, next year when Double helix, and among other's start dropping exclusive games for Amazon, you'll see a huge shift from family's.

This to me is the bridge point Mobile games has needed, it needed someone to take the investment and bridge together App and console developed games on a small platform.

I don't give two shits about achievements, but yeah, this is pretty cool if you're into that.

And although you're probably going to get torn apart for throwing Nintendo in there, there's little doubt in my mind this will have decent online infrastructure and an actual fucking account system.

Well, that's pretty nice. I don't particularly care for the 360 controller either though, so if I actually bought one of these the real question would be which controller has the better D-pad :p

mrpeabody

Surprised people are not talking about the biggest game changer that I saw:

IOS has had this for ages, it's called Game Center. Achievements, friend challenges, leaderboards.

Nintendo has decided that achievements and leaderboards aren't important. Please understand, we do things a little differently. We don't listen to our customers. We just do whatever and if you don't like it, too bad.

Geedorah

Hopefully will get Ouya store as well.

I would be less surprised if Jenn Lawrence just rolled up to my place and offered me incredible sex. There is like no reason, at all, ever, for a company to open up and include the Ouya store over other options like Google Play Store.

weevles

Meh. I already have multiple ways to stream Amazon Video to my TV, and I don't really like smartphone games them let alone want to play them on my TV. Would be good for folks who don't have a game console, Roku or Smartphone though. :p

Raistlin

The best use of this box will be to put stock android + XBMC + emulators, as it has decent hardware for them.
Android isn't well suited from an interface perspective, so idk about that.

Plex is already there (or heading), and I expect XBMC to hit it as well. So again, not seeing the point.

Emulators though ... though would be nice. Though I wouldn't be surprised if side-loading Android versions is viable.

Will it have IR so I can control it with Harmony remote?
Very good question

While current Roku us RF for their remotes, they were smart enough to include an IR port for automation. Hope that's the case here.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
are there news about the supported services in other countries? Germany?
will i be able to control it via my phone like the chromecast?

I would be less surprised if Jenn Lawrence just rolled up to my place and offered me incredible sex. There is like no reason, at all, ever, for a company to open up and include the Ouya store over other options like Google Play Store.

Apps prescreened for joystick compatibility. That's the big draw of the Ouya store. Ouya would probably even take a tiny cut to be able to be in there.

I have a Roku 3 and this doesn't really improve upon it much at all. And it doesn't have a headphone jack on the remote? What a massive oversight after it was included with the Roku 3!

I'll pass.

H3xum

No HBO Go is a real let down. Games like that don't seem like they're couch and controller games, they look like quick bite phone games.

Meh

ViciousDS

Banned
even if it doesn't have local support for MKV's all I can say hopefully rock player or Mobo get ported to the fireTV....which with enough demand they should do it....all will be answered tomorrow, now I have to wait till after work tomorrow

Well, as Fire tablets, I imagine that this device is IP locked, right? This is 100% sure for video and streaming applications, but what about games?

Krakn3Dfx

Anyone know if Android based Youtube apps allow for watching live Youtube content?

We watch a lot of live sporting events on Youtube, and for now I've resorted to mirroring my Chrome session off of a PC to my Chromecast. If this would eliminate that, would be amazing.

bought. Will also have it tomorrow.

I was going to buy a Intel NUC for my Plex support but this does it and it's faster than the roku3.

soooooooooooooooooooooooooold

Do we know how well it does it? Can I stream videos from a local computer? I'd like to replace my Mac Mini with something that would work just as well. Does it support DTS audio? I didn't see it on the list in the Amazon page, that would be a deal breaker for me.

Nintendo has decided that achievements and leaderboards aren't important. Please understand, we do things a little differently. We don't listen to our customers. We just do whatever and if you don't like it, too bad.

They've listened to me, I don't give a shit about achievements.

nampad

Will it have IR so I can control it with Harmony remote?

I don't think so because the remote uses BT. Wouldn't make sense to include IR.
A simple remote that does it all

The Amazon Fire TV Remote is beautifully simple, with all the controls you need to search, watch, navigate, and even play games. It uses Bluetooth to connect to Fire TV so no line of sight is required, meaning no more reaching and stretching.

tensuke

Just realized, it doesn't look like this has a 3.5mm headset port for the remote or the controller. Was really hoping for that as I loved when it was added to the Roku and the PS4 so I can watch movies while my wife sleeps. Maybe a future revision will add it, its already a no go until Vudu support.

Forgot about that as well. Super handy on the Roku remote and DS4 (well ps4 supports usb audio too so my wireless headset works). Ended up buying a 4x1 HDMI splitter that also has a 3.5mm output for headphones so I could use this on my monitor (and I wanted a splitter anyway). Tomorrow should be interesting!

Top Bottom