• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon LOTR production thread

Would you compare them to say...Rogue One?
Sip Trying Not To Laugh GIF by Love Island

Nah Rogue One is dope and probably the best Star Wars movie ever made.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
This article says there's a pattern of creative disarray. Strange things indeed, but they're also deep into filming and simultaneous post-production by now (they're contractually obligated to deliver episodes and Weta needs the work).
Oh shit. Tom Shippey unamicably left the project? That doesn't bode well.

While having a few cast members drop out is not an intrinsic sign of trouble, it represents a trend mirrored behind the scenes. Notably, the once-promising consultancy of former Game of Thrones writer Bryan Cogman abruptly ended before the pilot was completed, according to TheOneRing. Along with an array of producer exits, the production also declined the services of artist John Howe, a longtime illustrator and map-maker for J.R.R. Tolkien literature, who—along with fellow legend Alan Lee—set the mythology’s live-action aesthetic template as one of the lead artists on director Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings film trilogy. Additionally, prominent Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey, who was serving as a consultant on the series, “unamicably” exited.
This part has me worried

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Name one that's better.
The whole OT. Force Awakens might even be better.

The LOTR trilogy is one of the best fantasy trilogies ever made. It was so good even the Oscar's had to admit it finally, and they blacklist most fantasy. Watch the making of documentaries. You can learn more about how to make films well from that than a lot of film classes. They're masterpieces; especially Fellowship.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The continent of the elves is taken out of the world, which is made round and has some new lands are added. A normal ship going West would now circle the planet but Elves can still reach the continent by metaphysical means. That's where they're going during LOTR. It's an equivalent of Heaven. VIPs like Frodo, Bilbo, Gimli and Sam are also allowed to go there before their death.
Can you imagine how AMAZING it would be if the first few eps take place in a flat world (complete with the weird horizon effects that would cause) and then we get POV shots from characters scattered across the plane as the world turned spherical. Distant mountains dropping from view, the sun/moon arcing away, stars curving in from areas they've never been able to see before. Would be mind blowing if done right.

So is this based on the Silmarillion? Does that book cover this at all?

I hope they include some stuff from it. They could do the creation story and the singing of the song and the sacred tree and all that stuff before getting into the DND soap opera bits. Would love to see a re-creation of all the legendary stuff.

Think we will ever see Tom Bombadil on screen? Throw in him and the river daughter as a "special guest appearance" for one episode? Would get a lot of clicks.

Hatemachine

Banned
Here's what I expect from this:

- Crappy CGI
- Hobbit titties
- Female empowerment plotlines
- Casting that includes every racial demographic as humans and elves
- People complaining that black elves don't make sense in Tolkien lore
- People being called racist for complaining about black elves
- Middle Earth being used as platform to make contrived statements on modern day social and political issues

Pretty much exactly what Tolkien would have wanted.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

- Crappy CGI
- Hobbit titties
- Middle Earth being used as platform to make contrived statements on modern day social and political issues

Tolkien would have wanted tits?

Ballthyrm

- Crappy CGI
- Hobbit titties

Here is a few more
  • total absence of the sense of awe
  • disregard for nature
  • meaningless death
  • no rejection of power or moral courage
  • assumption that Tolkien was actually racist (he wasn't)
  • disregard for duty

You know a total 180 from all the themes Tolkien tried and successfully developed in LOTR.
I expect them to show it as much respect as you would a cheap loan car.

Last edited:

Woopah

- Crappy CGI
- Hobbit titties

Most of those would be terrible, but you can certainly have female empowerment plotlines in media based on Tolkien.

Here is a few more
  • total absence of the sense of awe
  • disregard for nature
  • meaningless death
  • no rejection of power or moral courage
  • assumption that Tolkien was actually racist (he wasn't)
  • disregard for duty

You know a total 180 from all the themes Tolkien tried and successfully developed in LOTR.
I expect them to show it as much respect as you would a cheap loan car.

I think you're right! We'll see how it shakes out, of course, but in today's culture (and with the precedent of Game of Thrones) I think the rejection of the Heroic Romanticism in the original material will be the more fundamental problems with Amazon's show.

Our culture doesn't believe in these things and can't depict them unironically or without critique/deconstruction.

Top Bottom