• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon PC DD sales: THQ Pack for $7.50, [Make new threads for good sales]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

Amazon is also amazing at keeping their deals longer than originally announced. But yeah it's a bit weird that I have to use an obscure website like CAG to keep track what's currently on sale (and for how long) on Amazon.

He also posts info on their twitter feed, facebook page, and on Reddit as well. The various bits of info on twitter and facebook really aren't that great, I would check his Reddit activity though. IMO he tends to go where he gets the most feedback and seems to have the greater impact, and CAG/Reddit is currently where it is coming from.

But yeah it's a bit weird that I have to use an obscure website like CAG to keep track what's currently on sale (and for how long) on Amazon.

That's kind of ironic considering that he used to post all the deals and information on GAF as well before he was banned.

The vast majority of all digital distribution sites won't tell you anything about their sales and discounts until they're actually live. GMG and maybe a couple of others might give you a few days notice. Tony on the other hand tells you weeks in advance about deals that will happen or the negotiations that he's having with various publishers to try and make deals happen. He even makes some discounts happen based on user requests and feedback. No one else shares the kind of information he does on the 'obscure' sites he can still post on.

That's kind of ironic considering that he used to post all the deals and information on GAF as well before he was banned.

The vast majority of all digital distribution sites won't tell you anything about their sales and discounts until they're actually live. GMG and maybe a couple of others might give you a few days notice. Tony on the other hand tells you weeks in advance about deals that will happen or the negotiations that he's having with various publishers to try and make deals happen. He even makes some discounts happen based on user requests and feedback. No one else shares the kind of information he does on the 'obscure' sites he can still post on.

The site's actual interface and presentation of information still leaves much to be desired. Having to follow other sites in order to follow sales is something that shouldn't be necessary.

Then by all means, visit Amazon regularly to find out about the deals they currently have running. Like you do for every other site. Knowing which deal is coming 4 weeks from now and which bundle Tony is trying to put together is not at all essential.

Nabs

Then by all means, visit Amazon regularly to find out about the deals they currently have running. Like you do for every other site. Knowing which deal is coming 4 weeks from now and which bundle Tony is trying to put together is not at all essential.

I think you guys are having two different conversations here. These guys just want a better PCDD page on Amazon with more information about current deals.

Ledsen

He's saying that even when the deals are up on the site, it's very hard to get an overview of what they are and how long they'll be up. I agree, the site design isn't really optimal for visibility.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Amazon's store fronts are actually pretty disorganized for such a successful site, in my opinion.

Yeah, it's quite a mess. While small strides have been taken over the past several months to improve matters on the DD side, there are still some glaring issues, such as:

- The labels of Online Game Code and Download are completely arbitrary; it's not uncommon for OGC games to come with a direct download and for Download games to offer keys
- Product pages are void of how long the discount is applicable for, which is a particularly big problem as Amazon's deeper discounts can last anywhere from a matter of hours to several days
- Sale home pages often list games that aren't discounted at all (presumably these games are flagged as such because they're scheduled to be briefly discounted at a later date)
- No sorting/filtering options whatsoever

Hanzou

I wish he would have made a typo on The Run so I could have grabbed it for free on the 27th.

Oh wells. I'm not going to lie, I liking it... that $3.99 price point definitely helps. I can't believe anyone actually paid 60 for this.
Is syndicate $4 or $5 with the coupon?

Bog

Junior Ace
Amazon is also amazing at keeping their deals longer than originally announced. But yeah it's a bit weird that I have to use an obscure website like CAG to keep track what's currently on sale (and for how long) on Amazon.

Plus he never seems to update the OP for a couple days, so the only ones in the know about what's coming up are the guys who caught his reply on page 68.

cicero

Plus he never seems to update the OP for a couple days, so the only ones in the know about what's coming up are the guys who caught his reply on page 68.

Why should he update the OP with potential upcoming deals? He has been doing a good job in this new thread with putting the solid known deals in the OP before they are up in the storefront. I would never expect him to mention future deals that aren't set in stone in the OP though.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
suggest that OT makers and PR from game companies should get together to make "better" OTs

His heart was in the right place, he just gravely underestimated the majority of poster's (much warranted) hatred of publisher PR.

Also I remember reading somewhere (I'll have a look about for the article later) that Amazon pours monumentous amounts of dosh in to site-plan/layout research. I believe one of their key findings was a ~10% increase in sales by something as simple as changing the colour of the "buy" button from green to orange. So if a page is as it is, there's probably a good reason for it. Not defending the PC downloads section at all though, that place is a mess, EC list doesn't contain everything you can use your EC codes on for a start.

hamchan

Wait, Tony from amazon was banned from GAF? What did he do?

Created a thread that asked (note the asked) whether it was possible or even wanted for OT creators and the developers of the games to collaborate, since he had the connections to hook them up. Mods got mad he didn't PM them first before creating the thread so they permabanned him.

Czigga

Wouldn't surprise me if the layout was purposefully disjointed to force you to have to look at more stuff. Not complaining though, amazon is the shit

Edit

Created a thread that asked (note the asked) whether it was possible or even wanted for OT creators and the developers of the games to collaborate, since he had the connections to hook them up. Mods got mad he didn't PM them first before creating the thread so they permabanned him.

lol permaban? Wtf

szaromir

Banned
lol permaban? Wtf
There were a lot of controversies about the relationship between PR and games media at the time and Tony made a thread that made GAF look like a PR tool for viral marketers. Tony does incredible job running games section for Amazon (or at least being responsible for the deals) and communicating with gamers, but that permaban was justified.

JaseC

It's not so much that he didn't seek permission, but rather GAF OTs being affiliated marketing tools is blatantly against the rules.

So that Amazon/MS games deal is blowing hot/cold now?

Nice THQ one thought, probably the best one ever for those who doesnt have most of those games.

JaseC

So that Amazon/MS games deal is blowing hot/cold now?

Tony hasn't said provided an updated for a couple of days now. I think I may have jinxed it.

Nice THQ one thought, probably the best one ever for those who doesnt have most of those games.

That's the problem, though -- Amazon's THQ library has been on sale regularly over the past few months and yet another THQ pack being a Deal of the Week does virtually nothing but exacerbate the monotony many have been feeling recently. My five most recent purchases from Amazon are spread across two months.

Nabs

They could be waiting to make it deal of the week next week. I don't think the deal is dead, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price is bumped up a bit.

JaseC

They could be waiting to make it deal of the week next week. I don't think the deal is dead, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price is bumped up a bit.

Here's hoping, although it'd be odd that he'd be cavalier about receiving tentative approval and then exhibit radio silence regarding the particular timing; he's usually rather open about the particulars, even if they're not yet concrete.

Valnen

That's ridiculous. I mean was any such offending OT thread ever made to begin with? Or did he only ask a question? Oh well, what's done is done =/.

Sordid

Looks like the THQ mega pack went live for $24.99 (from 50)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1GFKCA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was planning to buy, but I already have Saints Row and Company of Heroes, not sure the other stuff is worth it to me.

I was going to buy this but I just realised I own them all except from Darksiders 2 and MX vs ATV Reflex, would be an awesome deal if I didn't but it's not worth it for 2 games.

If anyone buys it and doesn't want those games I'll trade them for a BTA Magicka Indie Gala Bundle!

That's ridiculous. I mean was any such offending OT thread ever made to begin with? Or did he only ask a question? Oh well, what's done is done =/.
Pretty sure that was around the time of the Doritosgate controversy. Apart from breaking the rules, it was a reaaaaaally bad timing.

Jawmuncher

Pretty tired of this THQ fire sale stuff.
By the end people are going to have multiple copies. He'll I. Already do and wasn't even trying.

Is the deluxe edition worth the extra $10?

From what I can tell, you can always upgrade to it using the "Deluxe Bundle DLC" on Steam, which also normally costs $9.99.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/226459/

EDIT: In other news, sales updates from Tony's CAG posts:
Amazon DVG Deals said:
Oh sorry, thought I answered this, looking like [the Max Payne 3 deal will be] 1/24-1/31 (whoops!) right now. Still confirming. Also 2K stuff will be back as well (Bundles, Spec Ops, Darkness II, BL2, XCOM, and NBA).

As for MS, still waiting to hear back, we sent another email off yesterday.

Cheers,
Tony

[The Dungeon Siege Bundle will be] $11.99, but it isn't until February, it shouldn't be on the list, because it won't be promoted in January.

Cheers,
Tony

Some more updates (1, 2). In short, if you're on the fence about the THQ Mega Pack, you might want to pick it up, as they'll probably need to remove it as soon as the new owners contact them.

No word yet [on Crusader Kings II], but we just followed up again.

Also update on MSFT, we just sent an email that basically reads: "Hey guys, we need to hear back tomorrow or we can't run the deal next week".

I'll let you know if/when we hear back.

Cheers,
Tony
FYI guys, I'm currently unsure how much longer we'll have THQ products up on the site.

If you're interested in a game we have on sale from them, I'd grab it, once I get the phone call to pull stuff down it will be down until all the ownership transfers happen.

Lastly, I don't have any information other that what has been posted publicly. This includes what is happening with Darksiders. I'm personally buying a couple of these packs and sending them to friends I know who like THQ stuff lol. I'm interested to see how much Darksiders and Darksiders II keys start going for on trading forums in like 6 months if no one buys Vigil.

Edit: Also, I think it is going to take us a VERY LONG TIME to get new keys when we run out of stuff. Again, no confirmation on this but I don't even know who to ask now lol.

Cheers,
Tony

szaromir

Banned
Some more updates (1, 2). In short, if you're on the fence about the THQ Mega Pack, you might want to pick it up, as they'll probably need to remove it as soon as the new owners contact them.
If anyone wants to buy the THQ Pack but isn't interested in Space Marine (or already has it) I'll buy it for $5 (same if someone already has a spare key of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom