• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime Fallout: First look revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member

The globally popular video game has become an epic TV series from Westworld creator Jonathan Nolan.

Fallout often looks like the distant past, but it’s really the far-off future—and, actually, it’s the end of life as we know it.

In the new series, debuting on Amazon’s Prime Video on April 12, a nuclear war breaks out across Earth in the year 2077—which is (or was) an era of robots, hover cars, and a deep and abiding nostalgia for the America of the 1940s. Everything from the clothes, to the entertainment, to the vehicles mimic the look of that bygone age, albeit with a sci-fi tilt. That retro-futurist aesthetic was one of the charms of the mega-selling video game series that inspired the show.

JzpECo3.png

30e2ISg.png

tyVr1v8.png

1BQc60W.png

Based on these photos, I'm guessing the first episode will be about the idyllic life in the Vault prior to the Vault's protocols going into action and forcing her out into the wasteland in a end-of-episode cliffhanger. Could be fun.

I'll check out the first two episodes at least. Can't be worse than Amazon's LOTR... right?

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned

JzpECo3.png

30e2ISg.png

tyVr1v8.png

1BQc60W.png
Oh look, models in the vault. When will they fucking understand, that Fallout is an ugly world, full of ugly and/or ordinary people? Do not put these sculpted by plastic surgeon looking people in a fucking post apocaliptic series. And do not put that 300 dollar makeup on everyone...

R6Rider

Gold Member
This. And will Amazon be pushing some woke bullshit? I fucking hope not. Nolan I trust. Do we know who the writer is?
Lisa Joy and Jonathon Nolan (married).

Lisa has worked on Westworld, Burn Notice, and Pushing Daisies. With Jonathon working on Westworld and Person of Interest for tv and Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, The Dark Knight, and Dark Knight Rises for films.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Wow had NO idea Jonathan Nolan and his wife were behind this. That actually gives me a smidgeon of ho-

He and Joy acquired the rights through their Kilter Films production company, then set about inventing new characters and trials and tribulations with executive producers and writers Geneva Robertson-Dworet (cowriter of 2019’s Captain Marvel) and Graham Wagner (a veteran of The Office, Portlandia, and Silicon Valley), who serve as Fallout’s showrunners.

Nevermind.

Stafford

Lisa Joy and Jonathon Nolan (married).

Lisa has worked on Westworld, Burn Notice, and Pushing Daisies. With Jonathon working on Westworld and Person of Interest for tv and Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, The Dark Knight, and Dark Knight Rises for films.

Let's hope Amazon doesn't get into their shit at all, let them stay away.

danklord

Gold Member
As someone who loved Westworld but hated the Peripheral, I'm cautiously optimistic. This is daring creative team and willing to go there, so I'm more excited for this than any other game adaptation.

digdug2

As someone who loved Westworld but hated the Peripheral, I'm cautiously optimistic. This is daring creative team and willing to go there, so I'm more excited for this than any other game adaptation.
You're in luck because Peripheral was canceled.

StereoVsn

Based on these photos, I'm guessing the first episode will be about the idyllic life in the Vault prior to the Vault's protocols going into action and forcing her out into the wasteland in a end-of-episode cliffhanger. Could be fun.

I'll check out the first two episodes at least. Can't be worse than Amazon's LOTR... right?
LOTR and Wheel of Time were pretty bad. I don’t expect any better here. At least visually it’s pretty good from the released info so far.

I still have no trust for any of these video game adaptations. I have yet to see one done well. Even Last of Us was diluted and while it was decent TV, the production really messed up the pacing and character development from the game.

I do think Fallout style games without a true main character might be easier to work with and tell their own story, but so far everything Amazon gets their hands on has been bad. They even fucked up the end to The Expanse.

StueyDuck

Visually it's looking on point... but how 2020s the writing will be is the real question.

Honestly at this point I'd be fine with master cheeks (I didn't hate that show as much as others did, I found it pretty normal sci-fi, but yes a terrible halo adaptation, but as a sci-fi show it wasn't bad)

StueyDuck

That's not true. Invincible, The Boys, Jack Reacher, Good Omens, Jack Ryan, and Upload are all excellent Amazon exclusives. Many of those listed are adaptations too.
take out invincible and the boys and add the continental and the terminal list and you've got yourself quite the list there.

For me Amazon are a close 3rd maybe forth on the streaming producers (which is good to me)

Last edited:
Top Bottom