• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon - Xbox 360 Core System - $100.00

My browser is still trying to load the "verification" question. I entered the answer and it's been sitting there loading for like the last 15 minutes. Does that only come up if your order went through?

I'm still holding out hope that maybe, just maybe I might've gotten one, but I doubt it considering my first response was incorrect; I was so wound-up and put in my password instead of the answer to their question and had to try again!

Of course, I already have a 360, but this could've been a nice surprise for a friend or even a backup. Still loading... dammit

AzN_F15h

Neo Member
so who actually did get one? i dont even think amazon had 1,000 of them to begin with. the page finally loaded about 25 min after and it was already sold out. i did manage to buy the bike though. mountain bike FTW!

Geez, what a load of whiners.

It's 1000 360s for the entirety of the USA and the deal was posted all over the Internet, of course it's going to sell out quickly.

reaver18

This deal was ALL over the internet. You guys need to stop whining. 1000 360s is nothing to share with all the sites this was posted on. Did you really think you'd get one? :lol

Well at least ONE gaffer got one :D

That thing sold out in 7 seconds. Seriously, Im not joking, I had a timer, my system clock, and atomic clock page, you name it, all synced, and I refreshed at EXACTLY 11 am PST... the page stalled for a few seconds (less than 10) and then BAM "Sold out at this price'. UNREAL!

GhaleonEB

Amusing Ars Technica article:

Amazon had a promotion today wherein they were going to sell 1,000 $100 Xbox 360 Core Systems to 1,000 lucky customers. It's a giant loss leader, and you can bet that everyone and their mother who knew about it was banging away, hoping to score the deal.

How did the "loss leader" play out? It was more of a "lost packet" leader, if you ask me. Amazon's entire site buckled under the weight of the promotion, and was completely inaccessible for over 20 minutes from four different testing locations (Chicago, Boston, Indianapolis, New York, with 9 testers reporting). The site was noticeably slow at 10 minutes before 11AM PST, when the promotion was set to start. T-minus 5 minutes, and the site simply stopped responding. Amazon did not appear to host this promotion in a sandboxed environment, so when the throngs of users came, they managed to render Amazon inoperable as a whole, at least in the US. Maybe that was the plan, but we somehow doubt it.

Was the promotion a success? Surely some lucky people scored the deal, and maybe those same people bought a bunch of other stuff in typical loss-leader fashion. From where we sit, however, we wonder if the money lost to 15 minutes of downtime was really worth it for Amazon.

Sounds like a good chunk of their staff was trying to snag one. In the interest of "testing"...something. :lol

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/11/23/6068

PhatSaqs

Banned
Some dude who apparently works for amazon on the IGN boards posted and said they sold out in 29 seconds. He also posted a graph of "our total CPU loads in 5 (or 10) minute increments: (in %)"

amazon_CV_CPU_load.jpg

goodcow

PhatSaqs said:
Some dude who apparently works for amazon on the IGN boards posted and said they sold out in 29 seconds. He also posted a graph of "our total CPU loads in 5 (or 10) minute increments: (in %)"

amazon_CV_CPU_load.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom