• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 15.7 WHQL, more VSR, FRTC.

Windows® 10 Support

This is a Technical Preview driver with full WDDM 2.0 support for Windows® 10 and DirectX® 12 on all Graphics Core Next (GCN) supported products, -AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 and newer graphics products. Official driver support for AMD products will be available when Microsoft launches Windows® 10 on July 29th, 2015.

NOTE: To ensure stability, users should upgrade to the latest available Windows® 10 Technical Preview build provided by Microsoft before installing AMD Catalyst™ 15.7.

Virtual Super Resolution (VSR)

VSR provides image quality enhancements to games and Windows® desktop users by rendering images at a higher resolution and then down-scaling the same. VSR support has now been extended to the following products:

AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series AMD Radeon™ R9 280 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 390 Series AMD Radeon™ R9 270 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 380 Series AMD Radeon™ R7 260 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 370 Series AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 360 Series AMD Radeon™ HD 7800 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2 AMD Radeon™ HD 7790 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Series Desktop A-Series 7400K APUs and above

Below is a list of supported resolutions:
Target Display Timing Supported VSR Modes
1366 X 768 @ 60Hz:
1600 X 900
1920 X 1080

1600 X 900 @ 60Hz:
1920 X 1080

1920 X 1080 @ 60Hz:
2560 X 1440
3200 X 1800
3840 X 2160 (AMD Radeon™ R9 285, AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series)

1920 X 1200 @ 60Hz:
2048 X 1536
2560 X 1600
3840 X 2400 (AMD Radeon™ R9 285, AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series)

2560 X 1440 @ 60Hz:
3200 X 1800

1920 X 1080 @ 120Hz:
1920 X 1200 @ 120Hz
2048 X 1536 @ 120Hz

Frame Rate Target Control™ (FRTC)

FRTC allows the user to set a maximum frame rate when playing an application in full screen exclusive mode. This feature provides the following benefits:

Reduced GPU power consumption
Reduced system heat
Lower fan speeds and less noise

This feature is supported on applications using DirectX® 10 or higher and on the following AMD graphics products:

AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series AMD Radeon™ R9 280 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 390 Series AMD Radeon™ R9 270 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 380 Series AMD Radeon™ R7 260 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 370 Series AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 360 Series AMD Radeon™ HD 7800 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2 AMD Radeon™ HD 7790 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Series ​

AMD FreeSync™ and AMD CrossFire™ Support

AMD FreeSync™ and AMD CrossFire™ can now be used together in applications using DirectX® 10 or higher. This feature currently does not support systems configured in AMD Dual Graphics mode.

AMD CrossFire™ Profile Enhancements

AMD Catalyst™ 15.7 includes enhancement for the following games since AMD Catalyst™ Omega:
Battlefield: Hardline
Evolve
Far Cry® 4
Lords of the Fallen
Project CARS
Total War: Attila
Alien: Isolation™
Assassin's Creed® Unity
Civilization®: Beyond Earth™
FIFA 2015
GRID Autosport
Ryse: Son of Rome
Talos Principle
The Crew
Grand Theft Auto V
Dying Light
The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt

Performance Optimizations versus AMD Catalyst™ Omega

Single GPU performance on Windows 8.1 based system:
Up to 7% in Far Cry® 4 on AMD Radeon™ R7 and AMD Radeon™ R9 200 series and up*
Up to 10% in Tomb Raider on AMD Radeon™ R7 and AMD Radeon™ R9 200 series and up*

Better late than never I guess...

FRTC goes from 55fps to 95 fps, which is a pretty weird range and now there is VSR for all of GCN from what I see, seems like they got around the "hardware" limitation.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Irobot82

Pretty gangster update. Getting DSR and FRTC on all GCN cards and it what sounds like a general performance improvement across the board.

Also draw calls are up like 40%

Check it here

between 15.6 and 15.7

Not really. AMD have never been able to understand the concept of jitter and why it sucks. Why would now be any different?

I thought this thing was for power saving not for jittering? Isn't that what Freesync is for?

I thought this thing was for power saving not for jittering? Isn't that what Freesync is for?

55fps on a 60Hz monitor introduces an absolutely ridiculous amount of jitter because of the frame time bouncing like a hyperactive rabbit between 16 and 33ms to meet the mandated frame rate.

Irobot82

55fps on a 60Hz monitor introduces an absolutely ridiculous amount of jitter because of the frame time bouncing like a hyperactive rabbit between 16 and 33ms to meet the mandated frame rate.

Can you explain this a little better? If I'm playing a game that my card crushes at 60fps and I set the cap to 60 will I get jitter? Or are you saying in a game where most of the time it hits 60 but sometimes goes down it'll jitter really bad?

Can you explain this a little better? If I'm playing a game that my card crushes at 60fps and I set the cap to 60 will I get jitter? Or are you saying in a game where most of the time it hits 60 but sometimes goes down it'll jitter really bad?

Try not to think in frame rates but frame times. On a 60Hz panel the panel will refresh every 16.6ms. So to remain consistent and jitter free your graphics card has to push out a frames every 16.6ms, or 60fps. Since the frames arrive consistently for all practical purposes you'll have zero jitter.

If I take the frame rate down to 55fps it means that 47 of the frames arrive within 16.6ms and 8 of the frames arrive within 33.3ms. This manifests itself as jitter.

On Gsync/Freesync you get much less jitter because you don't have to stick to arbitrary timings. Frames come through as they're generated. So if you have for instance a frame time of 18.18ms you would get a pretty smooth 55fps. But since Freesync is basically non-existant, limiting to 55fps is basically going to introduce more jitter and nothing more.

tuxfool

Banned
Not really. AMD have never been able to understand the concept of jitter and why it sucks. Why would now be any different?

FRTC is just a simple cap. When they first talked about it, was in the context of FreeSync. It appears that they're also pitching it as a power saving feature.

Not that it matters much when you have programs like RTSS, which work just fine.

Try not to think in frame rates but frame times. On a 60Hz panel the panel will refresh every 16.6ms. So to remain consistent and jitter free your graphics card has to push out a frames every 16.6ms, or 60fps. Since the frames arrive consistently for all practical purposes you'll have zero jitter.

If I take the frame rate down to 55fps it means that 47 of the frames arrive within 16.6ms and 8 of the frames arrive within 33.3ms. This manifests itself as jitter.

You're not wrong but I think you misunderstood the FRTC range. It caps the framerate to the number you choose between 55 and 95, not strictly 55 or 95.

You're not wrong but I think you misunderstood the FRTC range. It caps the framerate to the number you choose between 55 and 95, not strictly 55 or 95.

I guess my point is that there is zero point for them introducing the range 55-60 because it's completely and utterly useless. It saves next to no power and is just going to make the gaming experience worse for any AMD owner without Freesync (i.e. the 99.99999% of them).

It was being facetious about AMD's (previous?) ineptness towards frame jitter and how only they could be so inept to think reducing frame output to 55fps could ever be useful.

Did this literally just come out, or was it actually one of their "beta" drivers for like 4 months? Seems like this is a pretty big update and usually they slap the beta tag on these for a while before making them the "official" drivers.

tuxfool

Banned
Did this literally just come out, or was it actually one of their "beta" drivers for like 4 months? Seems like this is a pretty big update and usually they slap the beta tag on these for a while before making them the "official" drivers.

They release monthly drivers as beta, which are good for just about anybody. Every so often they release a WHQL driver, so their changelogs on these drivers are against the previous WHQL drivers.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I guess my point is that there is zero point for them introducing the range 55-60 because it's completely and utterly useless. It saves next to no power and is just going to make the gaming experience worse for any AMD owner without Freesync (i.e. the 99.99999% of them).

It was being facetious about AMD's (previous?) ineptness towards frame jitter and how only they could be so inept to think reducing frame output to 55fps could ever be useful.

So set it at 60 or above if we don't have Freesync. Got it.

Durante

Still just a single VSR resolution for 2560x1440 targets, and none for 4k targets? I don't get this limitation. (I think the limitation on NV to at most 4x the native resolution is already unnecessary)

I also don't understand why their FPS limiter only works in DX10+, or only on specific HW. That's pure software, it should be completely HW independent.

tuxfool

Banned
Still just a single VSR resolution for 2560x1440 targets, and none for 4k targets? I don't get this limitation. (I think the limitation on NV to at most 4x the native resolution is already unnecessary)

The limitation is that scaling is done using the hardware scaler, which is why the more recent cards support the higher resolutions. The Nvidia solution actually does scaling using the shaders thus is more flexible and globally more consistent, at the cost of taking that power away from standard graphical features.

Durante

The limitation is that scaling is done using the hardware scaler, which is why the more recent cards support the higher resolutions. The Nvidia solution actually does scaling using the shaders thus is more flexible and globally more consistent, at the cost of taking that power away from standard graphical features.
That, if true, sounds like a really silly decision considering how incredibly small the performance cost of a single image resampling process is on a modern GPU.

There are things in there such as freesync working on crossfire that weren't on beta drivers, at least for the fury line.

Devildoll

Been using msi afterburner to set a frame cap at 120.
I guess ill keep doing that since the one AMD provided now only goes up to 95.

Up to 10% in Tomb Raider on AMD Radeon™ R7 and AMD Radeon™ R9 200 series and up*

I guess this might explain why my 290x was performing worse clock for clock than 390x in the new reviews.

I wonder if there are any significant fury performance updates with this driver especially with the air cooled card coming out soon. Should be interesting once people run some tests.

webkid94

YES, the flickering in Witcher 3 is almost nonexistent!! Some flickering in the world map, but Novigrad is not a huge seizure trip anymore, thank you AMD!

No dice on the uninstall/reinstall for VSR, if anyone else has a 7850 if you could check if the option is available for you I would appreciate it.

EDIT: Sent in a report to AMD letting them know about the issue, some other folks on Guru are having the same problem from various cards.

kharma45

No dice on the uninstall/reinstall for VSR, if anyone else has a 7850 if you could check if the option is available for you I would appreciate it.

EDIT: Sent in a report to AMD letting them know about the issue, some other folks on Guru are having the same problem from various cards.

I see an option with my 7850 for 'GPU up-scaling' which I'm assuming is nothing to do with VSR.

Cobaiye

When I try to install the driver it only installs the Catalyst Install Manager and the HDMI Audio Driver. It's been like that with all the drivers that came out after the Omega drivers...

Top Bottom