• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 15.7 WHQL, more VSR, FRTC.

Van Owen

Banned
I usually keep mine at 60fps (since it's the max refresh rate of my monitor). So far, results are sorta mixed: I've seen benefits in games like The Forest, which ended up silky smooth, but had to jack down the motion blur because it was giving me a bit of motion sickness, but with something like MGSV: Ground Zeroes, I still see frame hiccups still occuring post Omega 14.12. On The Talos Principle though, it was a completely smooth 58fps average using the benchmark (first few dropped/loading frames perhaps made the score lower than 60fps but I ain't finicky). So I guess there's still some tweaking to do.

Ground Zeroes has a hard 60fps lock that can't be turned off so it could be conflicting with the driver level cap.

Freiya

Check your Boot options in MSCONFIG. I guarantee that the "Safe boot" option is checked. Just uncheck it and you'll be good to go.

I wish it was that simple! Once we use DDU from safe mode and restart we get nothing but a black screen and a mouse cursor. This happens regardless of the settings in msconfig. To get back into windows we have to get access to command prompt and change the safe boot setting. It's really weird too because at first mine was working perfectly and I felt bad for her because she had problems every time lol. Then mine crapped out randomly one day too.

They're gathering info in the amd forums regarding the missing features for 7870's

No updates as far as i know though.

It isn't that common for big publications to run benchmarks for every new driver, and even then, it takes days to run through a whole suite of titles on multiple cards.

I'm in the middle of testing the 3dmark api overhead test through 6 drivers, and it has taken me 4 hours to run just that test 35 times.
Almost done.

Nice. I wanna see if this made things better.

Glitch jusr reinstall.

Uninstalled with DDU, reinstalled, still nothing.

Not getting VSR at all with this new driver on my 290X which sucks because, having an Ultrawide monitor, setting the VSR to 3200X1800 was the only way I could get older games that don't support 21:9 to display properly without looking like ass.

tenchir

Uninstalled with DDU, reinstalled, still nothing.

Not getting VSR at all with this new driver on my 290X which sucks because, having an Ultrawide monitor, setting the VSR to 3200X1800 was the only way I could get older games that don't support 21:9 to display properly without looking like ass.

Does VSR even have support for ultra-wide monitor?

sfried

Ground Zeroes has a hard 60fps lock that can't be turned off so it could be conflicting with the driver level cap.

Does that mean I'd have to turn it off for that game and Elite: Dangerous?

Wish there was a Framerate profiler for each game.

Does VSR even have support for ultra-wide monitor?

Not ultrawide resolutions, but it worked with black bars on the sides, which is why I need it to play games that don't support my monitor. I've been using VSR on my monitor since it came out to get past that hurdle and now it's gone. Mass Effect is unplayable without it.

DonMigs85

Anyone else experiencing problems with hardware video acceleration? Windows Media Player and MPC HC hardly play any files now.

sfried

One thing I noticed is that the Catalyst Control Center shortcut no longer appears when I right click the desktop. I am assuming this has something to do with the "improper installation" and the fact that VSR isn't showing up on my Digital Display properties. Like I mentioned before, I uninstalled using the Program Files option, and in addition I ran DDU in safe mode to remove all remnant files. For some reason, Catalyst thinks there's more than one version when I uninstall (and I select "Uninstall all versions"), so I always make sure to run DDU afterwards too.

Renekton

One thing I noticed is that the Catalyst Control Center shortcut no longer appears when I right click the desktop. I am assuming this has something to do with the "improper installation" and the fact that VSR isn't showing up on my Digital Display properties. Like I mentioned before, I uninstalled using the Program Files option, and in addition I ran DDU in safe mode to remove all remnant files. For some reason, Catalyst thinks there's more than one version when I uninstall (and I select "Uninstall all versions"), so I always make sure to run DDU afterwards too.
Man, I also used CCleaner, uninstalled HDMI audio driver and deleted temp folders to make sure it gets a clean slate. The hoops we have to jump thru sometimes...

virtualS

Running 15.7 under W8.1 64bit and there is a huge PCars improvement with crossfire and eyefinity. The game is maxed with MSAA and it's now near enough to a constant 60fps across three 1080p screens. I own two r9 290s + 3930K with a 10% OC on the cards (gpu + memory).

There is a bug with AMD overdrive though. The second card won't retain overdrive settings so I've been forced to use Gigabyte's OC utility.

sfried

Just an update folks: It seems there's a new version of Display Driver Uninstaller (15.3.1.0) just released specifically for this issue. I suggest giving it a try. Gonna do so myself and let you guys find out what happens...

Anony

is there any reason to install the command center?

I only update the driver; i never understood the CC settings for games such as AA, AF, etc, when every game has settings for those (be it in game or an ini file)
i know there's other functions too, but I'm running MSI afterburner where i can control over gpu speed and fans if i wanted to
the only other thing i run would but D3Doverrider so I can get triple buffering if i choose so.

am i missing anything? I know about the VSR, i've played around with it from GeDoSaTo if the game is supported.
Would the CC enable this feature in all (dx) games?
what else would it improve? because this is coming from a guy that's been running ati cards since the radeon 8000s and i CC usually just messes up the settings, have no impact, or just a waste of resources

peronmls

Uninstalled it just now. Was playing PCSX2 then it hard crashed with red and black vertical lines. Hard rebooted and right after i login and my desktop shows, i get the same crash instantly ever time. Did a proper uninstall with DDU before installing OMEGA drivers. Reverting back to the other drivers till it is more stable.

EDIT:
How do I find previous drivers from ATI's page? I can't locate any of them.

DonMigs85

Uninstalled it just now. Was playing PCSX2 then it hard crashed with red and black vertical lines. Hard rebooted and right after i login and my desktop shows, i get the same crash instantly ever time. Did a proper uninstall with DDU before installing OMEGA drivers. Reverting back to the other drivers till it is more stable.

EDIT:
I had to get Catalyst Omega from a 3rd party site

sfried

I just did another thorough DDU. Still no dice on VSR, and again the Catalyst Control Center shortcut is mysteriously absent when right-clicking on desktop.

Herne

VSR is working well on my 7970, can only go up to 1440P but my 390X is due to arrive any day now - can't wait to try it out! Great driver thankfully - performance seems up in the few games I've tried since I installed it.

Philtastic

Just tried out the new drivers. VSR works fine but the frame rate limiter seems a bit iffy given the one game that I've tried it with. In the case that I just tried, I was playing Batman: Arkham City (not Knight) and, using the new frame rate cap tool to limit my fps to 60, the benchmark tool was showing me an average frame rate of 46. Now, I have a 280X which, when I uncapped it after this, it reached its normal average fps of ~80 in the Batman benchmark. I then tried capping it using MSI Afterburner and my average went to 56 fps (expected since it can't go higher than 60 and there are a few places, mainly during scene transitions, where the fps tanks). As I was writing this up, I wanted to do at least one more replicate to make sure that these numbers were accurate so I turned off Afterburner and recapped it using AMD and then my average fps went up to 51.

So, yeah, the AMD frame rate limiter might be a bit buggy right now so I'd stick to using other methods still.

kharma45

EDIT:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

MaddenNFL64

So now that theres an official framerate limiter, Radeon Pro is less needed. BUT still no options to tweak Direct X Vsync & Triple Buffering, so still useful.

derFeef

So I have two 7950 and a 1440p Monitor. VSR does not give me additional resolutions. Is this a bug or a limitation?

peronmls

Okay this driver has totally f'd with my system or card. I randomly got red and black vertical line while playing a game. Restart. Right after I log in it does it again. Restart. Repeat, Repeat. Something is broken. Uninstall with DDU in safe mode then reinstall drivers. Get the same lines. Revert to previous drivers and properly uninstall with DDU. Now after the windows loading screen just get a black screen. No welcome jingle, no lost signal. Tried other drivers and other display ports. My card ONLY works with standard VGA drivers. Also switched to second GFX BIOS

What could possibly be the problem?!

ATI HD Radeon 7970 3GB PE

Atilac

^^^^^^
Card shat the bed? Happened to coincide with the new drivers. Maybe reseat the card? Check that all the connections are good?

peronmls

^^^^^^
Card shat the bed? Happened to coincide with the new drivers. Maybe reseat the card? Check that all the connections are good?

It's hung on loading something but I dont know what. I dont get any blue screen. Just a Hard Crash.

Hmm, I have an XFX R7870 Core Edition I got from a GAFer who was selling it here. Dunno if it's compatible or not. It should be though...I think...

Yeah I have a 7850, which according to the guide isn't compatible, and it still worked for me, I just selected Tahiti architecture (my 7850 is Pitcairn) in the resolution tool thing and it worked, a 7870 is the same as a 7850 architecture wise so you should be fine.

sfried

Yeah I have a 7850, which according to the guide isn't compatible, and it still worked for me, I just selected Tahiti architecture (my 7850 is Pitcairn) in the resolution tool thing and it worked, a 7870 is the same as a 7850 architecture wise so you should be fine.
Should I reinstall the drivers afterwards?

I believe VSR only works on Bonaire, Pitcairn and Tahiti and their iterations (Curacao, Hawaii, Tango, etc.) Cape Verde is the only one that seems to not work (Radeon 7770, and its re-releases). It's probably because Cape Verde only uses 1x primitive rate. If anyone can confirm I'd be most glad..

FRTC works for all 7700 series and up cards though.

Should I reinstall the drivers afterwards?

I didn't have to uninstall or reinstall any drivers, I just ran the utility linked in that post, and it gave me a 1440p option in Windows screen resolution setting. It didn't add the option to Catalyst Control Center, it just added it the Windows screen resolution list of supported resolutions, so if I want to use it in game, I have to go to the screen resolution setting in Windows and set it to 1440p each time, or just leave it that way if you want.

red731

Tried VSR on my 7970 3GB GHz and it worked!
Excluding the OS little texts, I've tried it in Rocket League where I was nearly constanstantly at 60fps and around 67percent GPU usage.

But then it started to CHUG as hell with 99-100percent. Haven't checked GPU RAM usage...that might have been the case.

That said. Won't be using VSR. Love the option though.

I would have liked the option for VSR but honestly I really fail to see the point in it.. Supersampling AA was always an option, and I don't see how VSR for 4K -> 1080p is less GPU intensive than just using 4xSSAA - other than that it can actually be used in conjunction with MSAA or FXAA, I guess? And that would be what, stupid as all fuck anyway? What is the point in investing in stuff like VSR when you already have SSAA, other than to create or match bullet points for marketing? I wish the Catalyst team would sit down and work on actual bugs.. like the fucking Monitor Wake Up bug that has been around for years now.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not sure if it's cause of this driver update but i can play GTA V at 1440p now with 60fps! feels/looks so much better. makes up for not being able to enable MSAA

however, i've noticed more display artifacts since installing the driver update. turned down my 290's OC a little but it was still happening. just running on stock settings now. will enable the OC again and see what happens.

Top Bottom