• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 15.7 WHQL, more VSR, FRTC.

tuxfool

Banned
When I try to install the driver it only installs the Catalyst Install Manager and the HDMI Audio Driver. It's been like that with all the drivers that came out after the Omega drivers...

Yeah. Your best bet is to clean out your old drivers with DDU and install them fresh.

Linkup

I thought everything was going to see a small improvement because of WDDM 2.0 on Windows 10. If so, can we see some benchmarks for those with the latest technical preview and AMD cards. Just a simple Unigine bench if nothing else.

Scrabble

Try not to think in frame rates but frame times. On a 60Hz panel the panel will refresh every 16.6ms. So to remain consistent and jitter free your graphics card has to push out a frames every 16.6ms, or 60fps. Since the frames arrive consistently for all practical purposes you'll have zero jitter.

If I take the frame rate down to 55fps it means that 47 of the frames arrive within 16.6ms and 8 of the frames arrive within 33.3ms. This manifests itself as jitter.

On Gsync/Freesync you get much less jitter because you don't have to stick to arbitrary timings. Frames come through as they're generated. So if you have for instance a frame time of 18.18ms you would get a pretty smooth 55fps. But since Freesync is basically non-existant, limiting to 55fps is basically going to introduce more jitter and nothing more.

How come when I use RTSS and set the framecap at anything 30-60 I still get a consistent frametime? If I set it somewhere in the 40's for example I'll get a frametime of something like 22.5.

Foxix Von

*GROAN* It still has the damn bug from the leaked drivers where I can't adjust power limit settings on a second GPU. It just resets to 0% after hitting apply :/

How come when I use RTSS and set the framecap at anything 30-60 I still get a consistent frametime? If I set it somewhere in the 40's for example I'll get a frametime of something like 22.5.

The frame time of your display is fixed by the hz it's set to. Modern flat panels work at 60 or 120 hz so 16.6ms to 8.3ms per frame. You can set your gpu to whatever FPS you want but if it doesn't match the refresh rate of your monitor frames have to be held until the next full refresh cycle w/v-sync (causing jitter) or they persist until the next frame is ready and are drawn immediately (tearing). Freesync/G-sync solve this by allowing the panel to display arbitrary framerates like the GPU can but the effect is best at >50 fps anyway it seems.

Dileas

It's still not installing the drivers... I guess my only option is to reinstall Windows...

This may seem dumb, but do you have the correct driver for your OS? I've had the same issue when they mislabeled a Windows 7 64bit driver as a Windows 8.1 64 bit driver on their site.

The frame rate will be entirely consistent. The graphics card can be writing a frame to the frame buffer every 18.18ms on the dot for a constant 55fps. The actual panel displaying the frame that's processed will be jittery as hell because it only happens every 16.67ms.

Cobaiye

Yes I already tried that multiple times

This may seem dumb, but do you have the correct driver for your OS? I've had the same issue when they mislabeled a Windows 7 64bit driver as a Windows 8.1 64 bit driver on their site.

No I downloaded the correct drivers. My issue is not new as it has been present for all the drivers that were realeased after the Omega drivers.

Freiya

I'm getting horrible horrible horrible screen tearing in Tomb Raider on my crossfire 290x's. I was just playing before I installed the updated drivers and it was definitely nothing like this. I mean it is atrocious right now. Now way I'm keeping these drivers installed.

Windows 8.1 64 bit
4770k @ 4.3 ghz
290x CF
16 gigs ram

So has anybody compared AMD's Win 10 drivers vs their Win 7/8 drivers to see if there is any actual performance increase? When the Fury X was released the rallying cry was that Win 10 was going to revolutionize everything and the Fury X would destroy the GTX 980 Ti when it was released, let's see what actually happens.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I was wondering why Tomb Raider was included as a thing that gets better performance and: get this. TressFX doesn't tank the framerate anymore.

I loaded a save I had from before where TressFX would drop a 60-70ish fps to 40. Now it drops to 58 at most in the same area :D

Edit: This on a 280x

Edit #2: Witcher 3 seems to run..slightly worse?

So has anybody compared AMD's Win 10 drivers vs their Win 7/8 drivers to see if there is any actual performance increase? When the Fury X was released the rallying cry was that Win 10 was going to revolutionize everything and the Fury X would destroy the GTX 980 Ti when it was released, let's see what actually happens.

Project CARS performs ~30% better in W10 compared to W8.1 and the W10 driver had ~25% less CPU overhead. Now that those changes have been merged into the W7/8.1 driver, I think we'll see some benchmarking to confirm if there are any gaming differences where it's applicable.

Pakkidis

Question

I read that setting your framerate to your monitors Hz (in my case 60) will save more power (and thus less noise) better than vsync.

I tested this out and on a game and that does indeed seem to be the case. My HD 7950 doesn't make as much noise when I set my maximum frame rate to 60. Why is that? Is it because even with vsync on the GPU still renders frames more than 60 per second?

Can I set my maximum frame rates to 60 and turn vsync off and get the same performance without input lag?

Freiya

I'm getting horrible horrible horrible screen tearing in Tomb Raider on my crossfire 290x's. I was just playing before I installed the updated drivers and it was definitely nothing like this. I mean it is atrocious right now. Now way I'm keeping these drivers installed.

Windows 8.1 64 bit
4770k @ 4.3 ghz
290x CF
16 gigs ram

So apparently Vsync is now broken when you turn it on in game. It was working fine with 15.6 but now I get crazy tearing when I leave it turned on. There is also a bug with the underscan/overscan slider in the control panel.

Tomb Raider Vsync is working fine here, also to clarify the performance improvements are mostly on the DX11 draw calls, so from what I understand it should help on cpu heavy scenarios and should close the gap with nvidia on lower resolutions, it would be nice to see an AC Unity comparison between 14.12 and this, if I remember right one of the reasons given to why it was running so bad was draw calls, I don't have Unity to compare myself.

The release driver for Fury X already had the improvements from the W10 drivers, I don't think there will be much difference.

FLAguy954

So I was wondering why Tomb Raider was included as a thing that gets better performance and: get this. TressFX doesn't tank the framerate anymore.

I loaded a save I had from before where TressFX would drop a 60-70ish fps to 40. Now it drops to 58 at most in the same area :D

Edit: This on a 280x

Edit #2: Witcher 3 seems to run..slightly worse?

I have a similar experience as well with Tomb Raider. I can stay in the high 60s with TressFX enabled now. Witcher 3 performance has actually improved for me, so much so that the game runs even better with the Hairworks (Geralt only) tessellation tweak (x16 tessellation). I rarely get drops below 50 fps unless I'm looking at a crowd of NPCs.

Specs in case you're wondering:

4670k @ 4.5
MSI R9 290 Gaming 1050/1250
8 GB Ram
Windows 8.1

Bizzquik

YES, the flickering in Witcher 3 is almost nonexistent!! Some flickering in the world map, but Novigrad is not a huge seizure trip anymore, thank you AMD!

Witcher 3 seems to run..slightly worse?

I eagerly await news on how Witcher 3 fares in this driver update in crossfire.

I get ridiculous flickering with Gwent, and occasional flickering when wondering around the open world.

My 290's want to play well together, but the lack of proper crossfire implementation in Witcher 3 thus far (up to v15.6beta) has been disappointing.

sk3tch

TessMark 0.3.0 results - big time tessellation gains:

15.6 Beta - 7850 points

(click to enlarge)

15.7 - 8292 points

(click to enlarge)

Windows 8.1 x64 with a 4770K CPU/16GB RAM/Gigabyte R9 290X 4GB (GV-R929XOC-4GD)

(click to enlarge)

Freiya

Tomb Raider Vsync is working fine here, also to clarify the performance improvements are mostly on the DX11 draw calls, so from what I understand it should help on cpu heavy scenarios and should close the gap with nvidia on lower resolutions, it would be nice to see an AC Unity comparison between 14.12 and this, if I remember right one of the reasons given to why it was running so bad was draw calls, I don't have Unity to compare myself.

The release driver for Fury X already had the improvements from the W10 drivers, I don't think there will be much difference.

Single card or crossfire?

FLAguy954

TessMark 0.3.0 results - big time tessellation gains:

15.6 Beta - 7850 points

(click to enlarge)

15.7 - 8292 points

(click to enlarge)

Windows 8.1 x64 with a 4770K CPU/16GB RAM/Gigabyte R9 290X 4GB (GV-R929XOC-4GD)

(click to enlarge)

I'm also getting a similar increase in tessellation performance on my 290:

tessmarkf1a8m.png

tenchir

Question

I read that setting your framerate to your monitors Hz (in my case 60) will save more power (and thus less noise) better than vsync.

I tested this out and on a game and that does indeed seem to be the case. My HD 7950 doesn't make as much noise when I set my maximum frame rate to 60. Why is that? Is it because even with vsync on the GPU still renders frames more than 60 per second?

Can I set my maximum frame rates to 60 and turn vsync off and get the same performance without input lag?

It's not syncing, limiting the framerate to 60 means that your GPU won't use excess power to render >60 fps. Think of it like a car engine where driving faster than 60 mph will use up more fuel than driving at 60 mph. So if you GPU isn't going full speed all the time, it will use less power and therefore wouldn't need as much cooling with the fan.

edit: Oh, I read your question closer and it isn't asking what I am answering. I dunno why that happens.

longdi

Banned
Do you think AMD turned down the tessellation, like how they did with TW3 hairworks, to get that perf increase?

Linkup

Any chance the update will allow AMD GPUs to work well with weak CPUs like Nvidia GPUs do?

Only if you're on Windows 10 with a DX12 patch for the game. Since their aren't any DX12 games or demos out now you will probably have to wait until the 29th to see that stuff benchmarked.

DonMigs85

Already did that multiple times without any success...
Yeah this is a long time issue their installer has had. Only way I've been able to fix it was to reinstall Windows.
I also got a message at the end that said "failures occured during installation" but everything appears to have updated correctly (video driver, hdmi audio, CCC)

Top Bottom