• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 15.7 WHQL, more VSR, FRTC.

derFeef

I don't get the limitations. Let the user decide if performance is sufficient. Only having one option with 1440p is kind of a bummer.

Pjsprojects

I might be imagining things but I feel Arkham Knight is running better.

r9 290 here.

I was about to ask that i ran AK on Win 10 with a 290x but can't try these new drivers yet (stuck in hospital).

Have you tried the frame rate lock or still going with Rva tuner?

Updated and VSR disappeared in Catalyst.

Still have Freesync and the Framerate control was added, but no VSR now...

I have a 290X.

Ideas?

diaspora

I was about to ask that i ran AK on Win 10 with a 290x but can't try these new drivers yet (stuck in hospital).

Have you tried the frame rate lock or still going with Rva tuner?

I didn't remove the frame lock but the stuttering is almost eradicated on my 7970 machine with VSR at 1440p on.

b0uncyfr0

If you haven't been using modded Win 10 drivers, these are a god send. I'm more excited for the .30 driver releases. Should bring some nice features and improvements.

FLAguy954

Only if you're on Windows 10 with a DX12 patch for the game. Since their aren't any DX12 games or demos out now you will probably have to wait until the 29th to see that stuff benchmarked.

I've read around the web that DX11 draw calls have been dramatically reduced at resolutions like 1080p and 1440p on 15.7. I don't have the 3dMark to test it out so take that as you will.

Devildoll

I've read around the web that DX11 draw calls have been dramatically reduced at resolutions like 1080p and 1440p on 15.7. I don't have the 3dMark to test it out so take that as you will.

I can run some tests, what driver should i compare against?

Hmm, it's not showing for me.

Should look like this anyway
A3yMvfq.png

sfried

Is FRTC controlled under Performance -> Properties? Seems more like a laptop thing, but I do want to cap frames considering my monitor doesn't do anything higher than 60fps.
Should look like this anyway
Yep, it's missing the Virtual Super Resolution option.

I have an XFX R7870 Core Edition. Have done the above and even used Display Driver Cleaner. No dice.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So my CPU won't overheat when playing Tomb Raider now?
Too bad the shaky cam will still make me sick.

Devildoll

Is FRTC controlled under Performance -> Properties? Seems more like a laptop thing, but I do want to cap frames considering my monitor doesn't do anything higher than 60fps.
it's under performance - frame rate.
it's a good thing even on a desktop, no need to render 180 frames per second, you're just using up unnecessary electricity and generating extra heat by doing that without any visual benefit.

Unless you're playing one of those games that have the physics tied to the framerate, in which case you might need like 240 fps to be able to jump up to certain spots etc.

96VD4Cs.png

Yep, it's missing the Virtual Super Resolution option.

I have an XFX R7870 Core Edition. Have done the above and even used Display Driver Cleaner. No dice.

Other people with 7870's seem to be experiencing the same thing.

So my CPU won't overheat when playing Tomb Raider now?
Too bad the shaky cam will still make me sick.

tomb raider performance is up 10%
Meaning you'll get more frames, meaning your cpu will probably get even more work.

jett

D-Member
Got this working, although I can't choose 3200x1800, for some reason. 2560x1440 is my max resolution on my 280X. Man, right now I just wish Gedosato worked on DX11... :p

LCGeek

formerly sane
Glad I'm not the only person having funky issues with this new driver.

None of you should be having problems but it's typical for amd drivers hit or miss for a lot of people.

I installed with the old ones on and had no troubles. I'm with others though the forced 1440p limit is dumb I had 4k, and other customized downsampled resolutions with the hacks.

Foxix Von

None of you should be having problems but it's typical for amd drivers hit or miss for a lot of people.

I installed with the old ones on and had no troubles. I'm with others though the forced 1440p limit is dumb I had 4k, and other customized downsampled resolutions with the hacks.

Yeah, well I'm having the same problem I'm having from the older leaked iteration. I can't adjust power limit settings on my second GPU. Once I realized that was a problem last time I just clean uninstalled it and reinstalled 15.6 and it worked again. I figured I'd just wait for the official drivers to be released and here I am again with the same issue.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What's this business with TressFx in Tomb Raider after the update? Is it less glitchy or something?

TressFX used to be a pretty big performance hog, after this driver update it isn't anywhere close to the same performance impact

derFeef

installed over the last beta drivers, everything works. Had fear because so many having issues it seems. Man, I never had to uninstall my drivers since win8 came out - just straight up upgraded everytime (which I recommend to people). Guess I am lucky.

edit: for people not seeing the VSR option, try disabling GPU scaling.

kami_sama

TressFX used to be a pretty big performance hog, after this driver update it isn't anywhere close to the same performance impact

I can say how much it was before, but right now, with 15.7, without it I have locked 60 fps, and with it enabled, 51.4 medium fps with dips to 38 on the benchmark.
installed over the last beta drivers, everything works. Had fear because so many having issues it seems. Man, I never had to uninstall my drivers since win8 came out - just straight up upgraded everytime (which I recommend to people). Guess I am lucky.

You should try ddu (display drivers unistaller), as painless as possible and safe.

Kevyt

How can AMD continue to improve performance on some of their older cards through driver updates like this?

Does this mean that AMD are really good at sucking out all the performance of their cards or that they just didn't do a good enough job with drivers before?

Anyways, this is really nice!

_machine

How can AMD continue to improve performance on some of their older cards through driver updates like this?

Does this mean that AMD are really good at sucking out all the performance of their cards or that they just didn't do a good enough job with drivers before?

Anyways, this is really nice!
Per game optimizations are something that affect performance with varying amounts for different architecture cards. GPU drivers are something that developers can't debug so some optimization is left to the vendors for each major game. AMD has also suffered from some CPU-side driver bottlenecks for a long time now, which is hopefully improving with each iteration and Win 10 is helping them quite a bit too.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Yeah, well I'm having the same problem I'm having from the older leaked iteration. I can't adjust power limit settings on my second GPU. Once I realized that was a problem last time I just clean uninstalled it and reinstalled 15.6 and it worked again. I figured I'd just wait for the official drivers to be released and here I am again with the same issue.

Have you ever bios hacked thats the only way I've gotten my power limit to stick. Otherwise it's pure shit compared to the consistent I have on 3 different nvidia cards right now. If you can't hack yourself let me at it quite easy to adjust take from 20% to 50% I can also adjust the tdp. You would need to flash it but it's pretty straight forward granted your power doesn't drop and you have another card or integrated one on the system. Bios hack will fix it permanently so driver doesn't become the problem. Overclockers has a good guide on it.

Letting amd fix your problems, hahah don't. Outside of big issues they are terrible. I buy their cards all the time but they are more hassle than nvidia to get to a good sweetspot.

I get your problems last official and the two betas kept giving me blue screen problems when using movies.

_machine

VSR working nicely on my 280X, just tried it with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and it looks really nice now and the UI works better with the smaller scale.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I can say how much it was before, but right now, with 15.7, without it I have locked 60 fps, and with it enabled, 51.4 medium fps with dips to 38 on the benchmark.

You should try ddu (display drivers unistaller), as painless as possible and safe.

Which GPU? I'm on a 280x, I can run the bench later and give some results

sfried

it's under performance - frame rate.
it's a good thing even on a desktop, no need to render 180 frames per second, you're just using up unnecessary electricity and generating extra heat by doing that without any visual benefit.

Other people with 7870's seem to be experiencing the same thing.

I usually keep mine at 60fps (since it's the max refresh rate of my monitor). So far, results are sorta mixed: I've seen benefits in games like The Forest, which ended up silky smooth, but had to jack down the motion blur because it was giving me a bit of motion sickness, but with something like MGSV: Ground Zeroes, I still see frame hiccups still occuring post Omega 14.12. On The Talos Principle though, it was a completely smooth 58fps average using the benchmark (first few dropped/loading frames perhaps made the score lower than 60fps but I ain't finicky). So I guess there's still some tweaking to do.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thought the drivers had improved my Alien Isolation performance, it used to dip into the 40s, which felt super jerky because it'd be a smooth 60 most of the time.

Turns out the vsync option in the game had been disabled somehow :lol, with it off my framerate ranges from 65+120 instead of 40-60. That's so dumb. Anyway it looks quite nice downscaled from 1440p and runs like a dream.

Devildoll

Any updates on the situation?
They're gathering info in the amd forums regarding the missing features for 7870's

No updates as far as i know though.

Still no benchmarks anywhere? How come?

It isn't that common for big publications to run benchmarks for every new driver, and even then, it takes days to run through a whole suite of titles on multiple cards.

I'm in the middle of testing the 3dmark api overhead test through 6 drivers, and it has taken me 4 hours to run just that test 35 times.
Almost done.

jett

D-Member
When I change between screens that have been "VSR'd" the desktop resolution automatically changes to the max resolution (beyond native). Why is this happening.

Corpsepyre

Banned
R9 270x user here. Enabled the VSR option, but when I try setting my desktop to 1440p, it returns to 1080p. Is that Ok? I can still choose a max of 1440p in the games though.

How are people getting better FPS in games though at a higher resolution??

Top Bottom