• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Confirms Sony PlayStation Neo Based on 14nm CPU and Polaris?

MuchoMalo

Banned
I don't quite get this....

Article (well the source) and title don't match as I don't see even the slightest of AMD mention of Polaris, but then the other information on clockspeed and ALUs puts this at... ~2.8TF which is a far cry from the suppose ~4TF previously rumored?

What are you talking about? It doesn't dispute the 2304 SP spec.

El_Chino

Nah. We will get metric fuckton of games. :)

Sony can show GT Sport, Horizon, Last Guardian, NiNoKuni 2, more FF7R footage and most probably 2 big AAA 1st party games [God of War being one of them].

I was personally looking forward to Sony talking about the Neo and MS talking about their future in hardware as well.

00ich

During a recent interview, Roy Taylor – AMD / RTG’s head executive for Alliances, Content and VR went to defend the decision to only launch mainstream and performance products based on the Polaris architecture. “The reason Polaris is a big deal, is because I believe we will be able to grow that TAM [total addressable market] significantly.”

With Nvidia launching the GeForce GTX 1070 and 1080 for the Enthusiast market, and preparing its third Pascal chip – the GP106 – to fight Polaris 10/11, such approach might be a costly mistake. if the Radeon would be the only product family where the Polaris GPU architecture would make an appearance. In the same interview, Roy said something interesting: “We’re going on the record right now to say Polaris will expand the TAM. Full stop.”

The TAM bit is very selective quoting. In context it says clearly total addressable VR market. Meaning it's only high end now and will be mainstream when Polaris is launching. Therefore expanding the TAM for a VR game.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/04/amd-focusing-on-vr-mid-range-polaris/
"If you look at the total install base of a Radeon 290, or a GTX 970 or above [the minimum specs required for VR], it's around 7.5 million units," explained Taylor. "But the issue is that if a publisher wants to sell a £40/$50 VR game, there's not a big enough market to justify that yet. We've got to prime the pumps, which means somebody has got to start writing cheques to big games publishers. Or we've got to increase the install TAM [total addressable market].

"The reason Polaris is a big deal," continued Taylor, "is because I believe we will be able to grow that TAM significantly. I don't think Nvidia is going to do anything to increase the TAM, because according to everything we've seen around Pascal, it's a high-end part. I don't know what the price is gonna be, but let's say it's as low as £500/$600 and as high as £800/$1000. That price range is not going to expand the TAM for VR. We're going on the record right now to say Polaris will expand the TAM. Full stop."
AMD-Total-Available-Market-for-VR-Headsets.vorschau2.png

Edit: Also there's no reason Sony had to increase the number of CU on the GPU. Even if they chose Polaris because it was available the only GPU design available in 14nm, Sony clearly chose to build a bigger chip than necessary. Plus I'd surprised if Sony hadn't planned it from the start.

onQ123

So no slim? Guess PS4 will never hit 99$ price then ;(

Controllers are $50 & you're waiting for a PS4 to be $99 lol

maybe we will get a mini console PS4/Xbox One down the road based around media playback but can have a harddrive & controller added at a higher price point than the base model.

Not sure if serious.

Either way, it's for neither. It's just an engineering sample.

Of course. I'm just pointing out that there's no way to prove it's for either, even if it was somehow legitimate. We've never seen a console part leak in this manner, nor would I ever expect one to.

Kudo

I wonder if they're going to have PSX this year and announce it there for Holidays? Would be pretty crazy, but no idea if that's likely.

onQ123

That you're wrong ?

How am I wrong when I pointed it out before it was revealed that Neo has 36 CU's? it's a clear case of AMD & Sony making the most out of going 14nm. AMD get a cheap mid range GPU that's ~ 4TF & Sony get a more powerful PS4.

Controllers are $50 & you're waiting for a PS4 to be $99 lol

maybe we will get a mini console PS4/Xbox One down the road based around media playback but can have a harddrive & controller added at a higher price point than the base model.

It's not like they cost 50$ to build and I'm not waiting, have a launch PS4 ;)

It'd have been nice for it to hit 99$, making a VR bundle for 299$ a possibility in several years and beating PS2 sales!!1 Of course VR would need to be a tremendous hit for it to happen too...

How am I wrong when I pointed it out before it was revealed that Neo has 36 CU's? it's a clear case of AMD & Sony making the most out of going 14nm. AMD get a cheap mid range GPU that's ~ 4TF & Sony get a more powerful PS4.

You're wrong because you believe just because it's double the CUs it's based on the PS4 GPU. It's just that it's not the full Polaris 10 and that AMD always did this for their GPUs.
A wide range of CUs. Not because one is the same number of the PS4 GPU that it's based on it. It's the opposite.

onQ123

It's not like they cost 50$ to build and I'm not waiting, have a launch PS4 ;)

It'd have been nice for it to hit 99$, making a VR bundle for 299$ a possibility in several years and beating PS2 sales!!1 Of course VR would need to be a tremendous hit for it to happen too...

I didn't mean that you was actually waiting on a $99 PS4 I was speaking broadly. I know it's not $50 to make the controller but Sony most likely plan to keep the controller around that price for years to come so I don't think they will be selling a console that come with the controller & harddrive/Bluray drive & game for $99 any time soon. they isn't much room for making money when you go to $99.

But the fact that people use these consoles for media players & they fact that cloud gaming is going to be a thing means that at some point we might see PS4/Xbox One STB that could be in the $99 - $199 range.

vin-buc

Internally known as PlayStation Neo, the console should make its debut at the Tokyo Game Show

I can't see this being true at all. The success that they are having in NA/EU - why would they make a reveal like this in Japan where the PS4 hasn't really taken off and mobile is much more popular?

They'll show it at E3 (they didn't do Gamescon last year and they have Paris/PS December show).

I can't see this being true at all. The success that they are having in NA/EU - why would they make a reveal like this in Japan where the PS4 hasn't really taken off and mobile is much more popular?

E3 (they didn't do Gamescon last year and they have Paris/PS December show).

Most of the article is conjecture and guessing, that's why

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn.

Was hoping we would see it at E3, wanted to see Uncharted 4 and Battlefield One running in NEO modes.

Damn.

Was hoping we would see it at E3, wanted to see Uncharted 4 and Battlefield One running in NEO modes.

Uncharted you've already likely clearly seen running on something other than the base PS4 hardware when they revealed it. EA will never showcase its software on console. Especially not Battlefield. Even if you see controller prompts, it's going to be a high end PC.

Kouriozan

In the previous thread, some "rumors" said to not believe in Polaris, but I still believe!
Even more than Sony is willing to listen to gamers' need.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Uncharted you've already likely clearly seen running on something other than the base PS4 hardware when they revealed it. EA will never showcase its software on console. Especially not Battlefield. Even if you see controller prompts, it's going to be a high end PC.

i can't remember but wasn't battlefront shown on ps4?

RaijinFY

At the same time, we managed to learn that SONY ran into a roadblock with their original PlayStation 4 plans. Just like all the previous consoles (PSX to PSOne, PS2, PS3), the plan was to re-do the silicon with a ‘simple’ die shrink, moving its APU and GPU combination from 28nm to 14nm. While this move was ‘easy’ in the past – you pay for the tapeout and NRE (Non-Recurring Engineering), neither Microsoft nor Sony were ready to pay for the cost of moving from a planar transistor (28nm) to a FinFET transistor design (14nm).

This ‘die-shrink’ requires to re-develop the same chip again, with a cost measured in excess of a hundred million dollars (est. $120-220 million). With Sony PlayStation VR retail packaging being a mess of cables and what appears to be a second video processing console, in the spring of 2014 SONY pulled the trigger and informed AMD that they would like to adopt AMD’s upcoming 14nm FinFET product line, based on successor of low-power Puma (16h) CPU and Polaris GPU processor architecture.

That's interesting... Sony was planning to do its business as usual in terms of cost reductions for the PS4. But with the current node shrinks, they don't bring the benefits you could observe in the past. Hence the choice of bringing a PS4 Neo which seems to be a less expensive solution rather than just shrunk the current PS4 APU.

Nikodemos

^^^^

That's because the previous node (20 nm) was an utter disaster and couldn't provide an easy shrink path as others did in the past. So they had to choose between a die reformat (28nm bulk planar to 14nm FinFET) or a die reformat with extra stuff thrown in at $ minuscule (for mass production) extra cost. It's sort of like supersizing your $13 medium meal order for an extra $2. Of course they took it.

antonz

Pretty big assumptions made on the article. While I doubt Polaris is showing up on NX. It would still be late 2016 when production starts on NX for release in march so theoretically the results would begin showing up 2nd half 2016 for AMD.

2nd half 2016 New semi-custom does not have to be related to Polaris.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's some pretty big information there.

So according to this article(which makes leaps like them announcing at TGS), the reason Sony are doing Neo is because it would have been a waste of money to do a simple die shrink slim with the kind of investment AMD's current fabrication process takes?

Like, (and these numbers are from my ass) it cost 500 mil for a full Neo upgrade at 14nm, and like 400mil for a full remake of the original silicon at 14nm?

Woodchipper

Probably a stupid question, but I want some clarification.

I'm wondering if the upgrades are good for 4K tv's only, or if it will improve the games in general. I guess what I'm asking is if it'll be worth getting the new console while keeping my 1080p tv?

Iacobellis

Surprising that Sony is going to announce this at TGS. So far, it seems like the PS4 has had the least amount of emphasis in Japan compared to any previous system from them. The console was announced in NYC, didn't come out in Japan until 2014, etc.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What's the source on this? Would be the second time MS backed the wrong horse.

It's just what I've seen people say on a few websites, including this one. It could be false, but the rumors pointing to Xbone Slim launching next month make 14nm or 16nm seem a little unlikely for it. However, it wouldn't be related to an upgrade.

Pretty big assumptions made on the article. While I doubt Polaris is showing up on NX. It would still be late 2016 when production starts on NX for release in march so theoretically the results would begin showing up 2nd half 2016 for AMD.

I don't see any reason to doubt Polaris for NX that doesn't amount to the "it's Nintendo" catch-all. Polaris 11 (the smaller one) seems like the most Nintendo-like choice for a GPU out of the available options. Staying on 28nm would mean either dramatically higher power consumption than any other Nintendo console, hardware considerably weaker than Xbone, or a mobile SoC. Meanwhile, Polaris 11 and an ARM CPU would mean power consumption under 60W for a PS4-level system with a much smaller APU to help reduce costs. Also, Nintendo was most likely initially aiming for 20nm before the plans for that node were changed. They could have gone backwards after that, but I doubt it.

Schnozberry

It's very possible that both the Neo and PS4 are on 14nm and that neither one is on Polaris. No one has really answered the question as to whether Sony has found a way to replicate the register level access developers have on the existing PS4 on a different GPU architecture. AMD and Sony have brilliant engineers so it's not impossible that they have found a way to make it work with a type of compatibility mode, but it seems like an extraordinary undertaking for a mid cycle refresh.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Our baseline was that it’s probably a placeholder for the Nintendo NX console, which should be announced during Tokyo Game Show 2016.

What.

Nintendo hasn't gone to TGS in forever.

farisr

If Uncharted 4 has a NEO mode I'm buying this.

That's pretty much all there is to it for me.
Seeing as the single player dlc is likely going to come out after October (if the last of us release schedule is anything to go by) and that will be required to have a neo mode in it, I wouldn't be surprised if they patch in the engine/neo upgrades for that into the base game as well.

AmyS

I thought that due to having to be binary compatible with PS4 GPU, the Neo cannot use Polaris, but must be the exact same semi-custom Southern Islands architecture of the base PS4, only more resources (not more slightly different ones).

Just gimme the a Neo and list of games, new and old, that'll have enhancements (patched or day one)

Would love to play Uncharted 4, Dark Souls III and GTA V at or near 60fps.

So what I gather from this story (whether true or not), is that potentially, Sony originally wanted a die shrink pre-launch, but it was too expensive. However, when PSVR came onto the scene, they said screw it, and pulled the trigger in the spring of 2014 to get said die shrink, whilst keeping the hardware the same. However, they then changed their mind again and said screw it one last time, and decided to go all out with a die shrink and a performance boost (i.e. more substantial hardware change) to boot, which is what we essentially know now as 'Neo'.
I read it to mean they were aiming for PS4 parity but didn't expect the performance gains that Polaris provided.

The only mandate the company received was to keep the hardware changes invisible to the game developers, but that was also changed when Polaris 10 delivered a substantial performance improvement over the original hardware.

clintar

^^^^

That's because the previous node (20 nm) was an utter disaster and couldn't provide an easy shrink path as others did in the past. So they had to choose between a die reformat (28nm bulk planar to 14nm FinFET) or a die reformat with extra stuff thrown in at $ minuscule (for mass production) extra cost. It's sort of like supersizing your $13 medium meal order for an extra $2. Of course they took it.
Are these Canadian dollars?

It's very possible that both the Neo and PS4 are on 14nm and that neither one is on Polaris. No one has really answered the question as to whether Sony has found a way to replicate the register level access developers have on the existing PS4 on a different GPU architecture. AMD and Sony have brilliant engineers so it's not impossible that they have found a way to make it work with a type of compatibility mode, but it seems like an extraordinary undertaking for a mid cycle refresh.

It does, except that if they pulled it off, it could possibly make backwards compatibility for whatever the PS5 ends up being much easier.

Probably a stupid question, but I want some clarification.

I'm wondering if the upgrades are good for 4K tv's only, or if it will improve the games in general. I guess what I'm asking is if it'll be worth getting the new console while keeping my 1080p tv?

The games won't be rendering at 4k, or at least most of them won't be, so "ps4k" is a misleading label. It will benefit you on 1080p except in perhaps a few cases where a non-intensive game might just render at 4k (like indie titles or something).

Top Bottom