• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD is Starfield’s Exclusive PC Partner

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
It's not really AMD fault.

Why does Starfield need a sponsorship? This isn't some indie developer who is barely making rent. This game is going to make a billion with or without an AMD check.
Todd is greedy.

Gudji

Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

Am I wrong in thinking MS has some sort of preferential deal with AMD for PC versions? And maybe Sony too? I feel like most of the console first party title ports tend to be AMD sponsored, and very light on any extra features on PC.

Pity though, I bet this game could've really used DLSS3. Maybe it's still possible to mod it in? I think if they implement FSR2 well enough it's not really a big deal not having DLSS, but having frame gen would be nice. It did seem pretty dubious to me back when they first supposedly showed FSR3, and given that they've stayed dead silent ever since it seems like their frame gen feature might not even see the light of day this generation.

RT would be a nice addition too, but if they had it in any form for the PC port, I think they'd have mentioned it, so I have to assume there's no RT at all. Usually AMD at least pretends to have meaningful RT features, even if they're of marginal benefit due to their limited implementation. But I guess that's just how the dice rolls sometimes. Expecting Nvidia exclusive features to be implemented in every game is just not going to happen, and people should keep that in mind when thinking how Nvidia's cards might look IF a game supports them vs. just raw performance without tricks that require game specific implementation.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not really AMD fault.

Why does Starfield need a sponsorship? This isn't some indie developer who is barely making rent. This game is going to make a billion with or without an AMD check.
Todd is greedy.

These games are usually then bundled in with the hardware.

So AMD’s likely going to be giving Starfield away with either GPU or CPU purchase.

winjer

Gold Member
These games are usually then bundled in with the hardware.

So AMD’s likely going to be giving Starfield away with either GPU or CPU purchase.

Not necessarily. This seems to be only a technological partnership, where AMD only sends some engineers to help implement tech.
Usually, AMD would announce immediately that their GPUs and/or CPUs would have bundles with the game.
So I wouldn't get my hopes up, for Starfield to be given away with CPUs and GPUs.

Soodanim

It will be hilarious if the game ships with DLSS support.

Can't people mod DLSS support in anyway? I'm pretty sure you can DLSS Skyrim

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Golly it's like one series of stupid failures after another since they're damn conference. Stuff like this really annoys me as there should be no reason to omit or have an exclusive feature because you have some stupid partnership. Let's not put the horse before the carriage but this does not bode well for dlss support.

Braag

8tM5eob.gif

My experience has been less than stellar with AMD sponsored games. This also mean no DLSS.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So Starfield will sell lots of Xbox AND AMD GPUs? Nice!
Shitty IQ is a small price to pay for that
The thing is, just because it's an AMD sponsored title doesn't mean it will run better on their gpu. It's the fact that they are omitting something that is easy to implement because of some contractual obligation if this is true. It shouldn't sell anything AMD as they don't make the superior graphics cards. I guess if you're still talking about price or other things sure, but I don't see how this will push anything on the AMD side. If anything people like me who love me their CPU, are a little bit hurt about something like this. It has been more than proven that dlss is widely Superior in almost every case.

twilo99

Because some fanboy posted a completely biased video with completely opposite evidence and everyone followed narrative.

This doesn't mean it won't have DLSS, will probably mean their 8gb cards won't run maxed out textures designed for 4K or run the game at resolutions those cards weren't designed for because Nvidia fuck them with VRAM programed obsolescence though.

Also, is now frame generation a good thing? Why suddenly?

Well because of DLSS of course..

I'm not buying this until they officially say its doesn't support DLSS or when the game ships and its then tested.

Bry0

So picked up my wife a damaged PC from Best Buy just for her to play this game its a 7900x 4090 and she will be playing on a 3440x1440 monitor but looking around at PC prices I could get her a 7800X3D 7900XTX PC for actually a little less

Wonder if she would care if I make her rig the guinea pig to see who plays it better

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC
I returned my 7900xtx for a 4080. My reference model had underfilled vapor chamber causing it to throttle. That was kinda the last straw for me not to mention 7 months later they still haven’t fixed the VR performance or idle power draw. I would just avoid it honestly. The first gen chiplet design just seems to be causing a lot of jank. Maybe rdna4 will be better.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I returned my 7900xtx for a 4080. My reference model had underfilled vapor chamber causing it to throttle. That was kinda the last straw for me not to mention 7 months later they still haven’t fixed the VR performance or idle power draw. I would just avoid it honestly. The first gen chiplet design just seems to be causing a lot of jank. Maybe rdna4 will be better.
I started down the rabbit hole to see if it would be possibly worth swapping PCs and keep running into some stories much like yours and getting a prebuilt from someone like Best Buy I have no way of knowing which 7900XTX I may get and hate to risk the swap really getting a nice deal on this 4090 pc

But still may do it for science since my wife wont really care if she's getting max frames or not unless its just really bad

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Well at least i have a AMD CPU (5800X 3D) which will be pretty much optimised for the game. Now i’m curious how my Nvidia RTX GPU will run compared to AMD GPU’s.

Raelgun

The first dude who make a dlss mod behind a paywall is gonna earn a lot of money.
PureDark - the modder who enabled DLSS3 and frame generation on Jedi Survivor (and works phenomenally) is gonna have Starfield patched within a week im betting haha

He's already got DLSS3 mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4

GymWolf

Gold Member
PureDark - the modder who enabled DLSS3 and frame generation on Jedi Survivor (and works phenomenally) is gonna have Starfield patched within a week im betting haha

He's already got DLSS3 mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4
Are they usually complicated to install? i usually only install mods that can be completely managed by the vortex app, i don't wanna deal with moving files by myself.

GymWolf

Gold Member
not in the slightest! you extract like 5 files in the game folder and thats it haha
I'm probably gonna pay one month of gamepass to play the game, and i'm sure microsoft shitty pc gamepass\xbox app are gonna find a way to make things harder:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Raelgun

I'm probably gonna pay one month of gamepass to play the game, and i'm sure microsoft shitty pc gamepass\xbox app are gonna find a way to make things harder:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
yeah possibly! but even the xbox app is a lot better now - you can choose your own install directory and have access to the game file! (which hopefully will be enough)

GymWolf

Gold Member
yeah possibly! but even the xbox app is a lot better now - you can choose your own install directory and have access to the game file! (which hopefully will be enough)
Thanks dude, i like when people on gaf keep it rael.

(i'm not gonna take offense if you put me on ignore after this one)

Top Bottom