• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD is Starfield’s Exclusive PC Partner

Ironically, I have had more games malfunction with Nvidia GPUs than with AMD GPUs. DLSS3 and FSR2 are unnecessary for a game to run well and are most likely to become a crutch for developers that hinders fidelity in the long run.

ahtlas7

Nicolas Cage Bullshit GIF

what backroom deal was made to screw the majority of your pc fans, Bethesda?

Fredrik

Yeah I know. I’m now concerned that my most anticipated release in years will have performance issues everywhere.
I was actually ready to preorder to get it early but now I need to know how it runs. What is Microsoft’s problem? The PC community is big for Bethesda’s games but AMD have a tiny market on PC. They were so close this time… Sigh.

Last edited:
Yeah I know. I’m now concerned that my most anticipated release in years will have performance issues everywhere.
I was actually ready to preorder to get it early but now I need to know how it runs. What is Microsoft’s problem? The PC community is big for Bethesda’s games but AMD have a tiny market on PC. They were so close this time… Sigh.
Nvidia vs AMD = 90% for nvidia , 10% for AMD... But hey, we need to do a exclusive partnership with the loosers !
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man what the hell. Was AMD’s help with marketing really worth pissing off the majority of PC gamers? Seems like a stupid thing to do for one of the biggest PC releases of all time.

Fredrik

Nvidia vs AMD = 90% for nvidia , 10% for AMD... But hey, we need to do a exclusive partnership with the loosers !
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF
Yeah it’s really pissing me off. PC was supposed to be the saviour from this 30fps nonsense on console. Now it might run badly on PC too.

Someone with connections need to tell MS to go rip that contract paper in half. Don’t anyone here know anyone important? Shills, go do some good work for once! 70 days left, stop this madness!

Last edited:

Fredrik

Having FSR2 will be helpful for playing on Steam Deck.
There is no way this will run at even 30fps on Steam Deck. There is no positive angle here. It’s probably Microsoft not knowing enough about the PC industry, which is scary to be honest. If anything this should’ve been a Nvidia partner game. Steam stats show that Nvidia is huge compared to AMD, and the PC community is huge on Bethesda’s games. Partnering with AMD here is a bad idea plain and simple, means the majority of PC customers will have worse performance and worse image quality than they could’ve had, even on a $5k PC. I’ve been replying to the DF guys and Parris and Tom Warren on Twitter. Don’t know what else I could do. Somebody needs to wake MS up on this.

Buggy Loop

You mean DLSS being open source?

The plugin and SDK are free.....knowing whats in the blackbox wouldnt change anything.

This

Some peoples are dense mofos around here

Mario 64 RT guy implemented DLSS from SDK mere hours after the SDK released day 1

So that indie guy who codes at emulation level is outdoing a team like Bethesda? Cmon

Open source requirement is the absolute brainlet defense AMD peeps around here have. They can’t even implement the SDK? But you think open source to it would help?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

As if FSR being open sourced made even a single dev go look into it 😂
They implement SDK. That’s it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Oh and fucking hell, Sony isn’t buying into those bullshit AMD sponsorships, they’re big boys enough to still have DLSS.

If Microsoft fucks that up on PC while Sony doesn’t..

James Dean Film GIF

within days after release, there'll be a modder that will implement DLSS2 using a laptop while sitting bored on the toilet taking a shit.

and it will instantly look better than the official FSR2 implementation 🤣🤣
Please, i hope because i need DLSS so much with my RTX 3080 and my 4K monitor...

francois bayrou GIF by franceinfo

Buggy Loop

Annoying about dlss but come the fuck on games existed and worked before it.

If a game is coded properly you don't even need to reply on dlss for performance.

I know it's Bethesda but dlss or no dlss it's going to run like shit.

It’s often better than native so yeah.. going back to old TAA of « shudder » FSR is simply a downgrade.

Again, narrowing a technology for ~2% of steam hardware survey, who even accepts these deals?

Last edited:

Banned
DLSS3 and FSR2 are unnecessary for a game to run well

not true. play Doom Eternal with DLSS quality mode, and compare it to native...

wait, you don't have to because I already did :)

just for comparison sake, and why you should use DLSS in many many games over TAA:

DLSS [Quality] Stationary
dlssstillefd8h.png

TAA Stationary
taastillj7iso.png

DLSS [Quality] Strafing Right
dlssmovementh2dwu.png

TAA Strafing Right
taamovementfgcqa.png

and as a bonus:
DLSS [Performance] Strafing Right
contentscreenshot2022ayelg.png

DLSS quality has less motion artifacts and a cleaner image compared to native.

edit: the images shown are 1440p btw. this looks even better once you target 4k.
the first 2 DLSS images run with an internal res of 960p while the performance mode image on the bottom is 720p internaly and still looks comparable to native 1440p here, IN MOTION no less.

EDIT: for phone users that don't want to zoom in like crazy, just for quick comparison. these are all taken while full strafing to the right. you can see motion/disocclusion artifacts on the tree stump and the grass. nortice how much cleaner DLSS looks, even the performance DLSS look is not a clear downgrade from native in all areas. and that's from 720p base res
doometernaldlsskwizp.png

Last edited:

skneogaf

Awful news! The pc version will be held back ray tracing wise and be without dlss 2 or 3 or dlaa!

People really need to be telling developers they're not happy with these graphics card maker deals.

The game will sell loads and doesnt need either nvidia or AMD deals!

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Last edited:

Jrecard

Nobody cares when nvidia sponsor titles because they also allow for fsr/xess support and rtx features being turned off for the rest of the market.

When AMD do it they can't have DF and the likes using their sponsored title to show how inferior their own feature set is compared to the competition so they use exclusivity deals. But no way AMD the saviour to all of PC gaming who don't want to succumb to Jensen's and Gelsinger's evil ways would act in an anti competitive manner? Surely?

Modders will sort this out in a matter of days.

dotnotbot

Awful news! The pc version will be held back ray tracing wise and be without dlss 2 or 3 or dlaa!

People really need to be telling developers they're not happy with these graphics card maker deals.

The game will sell loads and doesnt need either nvidia or and deals!

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

It's the same with console exclusivity deals, publishers are always happy to accept extra cash upfront even if the game would sell well enough without the deal and even if it damages their reputation a bit.

The only way to stop those deals is to get rid of the competition unfortunately.

Last edited:
not true. play Doom Eternal with DLSS quality mode, and compare it to native...

wait, you don't have to because I already did :)

DLSS quality has less motion artifacts and a cleaner image compared to native.

edit: the images shown are 1440p btw. this looks even better once you target 4k.
the first 2 DLSS images run with an internal res of 960p while the performance mode image on the bottom is 720p internaly and still looks comparable to native 1440p here, IN MOTION no less.

EDIT: for phone users that don't want to zoom in like crazy, just for quick comparison. these are all taken while full strafing to the right. you can see motion/disocclusion artifacts on the tree stump.
doometernaldlsskwizp.png
maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom